• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Robbie Rotten

Chance - 0% - When you're owned by Warner Bros., you're likely getting in on Multiversus. Sadly that includes Robbie, which pretty much invalidates any sort of argument you might have had for him prior. I don't see that happening under any circumstance.

Want - 55% - I don't have any strong feelings about it, though I do respect the guy. Apparently when "We are #1" started getting popular, they released recordings of the instruments separated out so it would be easier to make remixes. I can respect the sort of guy who did that.

Prediction

Charlie Brown - 1.56% - I don't think so...

Nominations

Eliza Thornberry X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Robbie Rotten

Chance: 0%
WB owns him. Not only are they a competitor to Paramount, but they also have their own platform fighter in MultiVersus. Plus his actor unfortunate passed away not that long ago, which might make things complicated. Also of note: the show aired on Nick in some countries, but in many others it's not. It therefore remains to be seen whether the devs would even associate it with Nick or have nostalgia for Robbie.

Want: also 0%
I love LazyTown and I especially love Robbie. I, too, am lazy, and therefore found his motivation more sympathetic than Sportacus'. From the lens of adulthood, he was a really good villain and a very funny character. So why 0? Two reasons. With Stefan's passing I'm not sure if I feel comfortable with the character being in this game. And I just don't associate him with Nick at all, since the show aired on Discovery Kids where I live.

Noms: Robot and Monster
Prediction: didn't we already rate Charlie Brown? Or was that the MultiVersus thread? Either way 1.25%

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Concept: more items
Chance: 8.07%
Want: 48.43%
Winner of predictions is LimeTH LimeTH , with a prediction of 9%. You get 10 extra noms!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was number one!
Chance: 0%
Lazy Town and Robbie Rotten's only real connection to Nick is that it aired on the channel at one point in some countries. Pretty much everything else is going against him. Mainly the fact that he's from a live-action show, and the actor who played him is sadly no longer with us. There's also the fact that this show is apparently owned by Warner now. Unfortunately, I don't see him ever being added.

Want: 75%

Robbie Rotten is awesome. He should be in every game.

Charlie prediction: 1%
Noms: More alts x5
DAY OVER
Rate your satisfaction for Hugh Neutron. (Also predict Charlie Brown if you haven't already)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hughtron

Let me get something out of the way - my affinity to Jimmy Neutron is almost entirely as a meme. My connection to it is through retrospective videos and well, memes - both based on the show and not. I know that Jimmy beats up a baby, Carl gets pregnant in his butt, Jimmy turns a restaurant into a spaceship, Sheen gets a giant head and forces an arranged marriage with his teacher, Cindy eats a fried chicken-flavoured book then recites a movie about slavery, Hugh makes a woman experience the miracle of birth on loop, all that surreal and likely wildly out of context stuff you see spread as a meme, but I don't know that much beyond that - I didn't grow up on Jimmy, I was a CN kid who also liked to catch SpongeBob and Phineas and Ferb when they were on - that being said...

Satisfaction: 100%
This may change soon, but for now I see no fault in Hugh. You don't need to know the references here to laugh at them, the references I do get are wonderful, and he's super fun even if not an archetype I'm that good with. Making him a Yoshi/Luigi equivalent is a very smart choice and nothing about him gameplay-wise feels particularly cheesy or poorly thought out. His stage is incredible too, even as a casual player I'm a sucker for competitive stages, and I feel making stages for competitive play visually ridiculous enough for chaos-loving casual players to want to play on them anyway like with this and Sweet Dreams is genius.

Timmy rerate x 5

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hugh Neutron Satisfaction

Rating: 75% -
Starting with Hugh's moveset, it is absolutely hilarious (aside from the burp, which is kinda gross. More on that later), there's loads of very unorthodox options, and it's fun to see him move around! There's loads of references to Hugh-centric episodes, showing just how much research went into making him (did NOT expect Flippy to appear!). I also love using the Giant Duck to edgeguard, and I love the ridiculous Chun-Li easter egg they threw in as a kill move! Super fun!

As for Hugh's stage, it's a mixed bag. Firstly, it looks like something straight out of the show, the way the flying duck in the background is animated is hilarious, and the music is very catchy! Furthermore, picking a very Hugh-centric location means that Hugh's inclusion isn't intended to represent Jimmy Neutron as a whole, which helps Jimmy himself for future DLC. On the other side, combining the stage idea with the burp move (even if it IS a reference to him and Eustace's dad in the Flurp Cellar) it felt that they were re-using a lot of ideas from Garfield and his stage, when they could've gone for a different location (such as something like Taco Shack, The Candy Bar, etc) that felt a little more unique (and still didn't exclude Jimmy). Dream Stages are cool, but I hope they aren't used as a fallback for future characters.

I still hold the opinion that Jimmy should've been added first, but I do think they put a lot of love into Hugh.

Nominations:
(Rerate) Luna Loud x20
(Rerate) El Tigre x 85

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Very late but still personally wanted to do this, not expecting or wanting it included in the satisfaction rating already made

Base Game Content: 80%
For a 20 character roster they did amazing with the choices, have amazing oddballs that are generally loved (Like PTM and Nigel), deep cuts (Oblina, who I'll admit never even knew), and they aren't afraid of picking secondary characters over primary characters for better move sets (like Helga and April). In hindsight I don't think I could make a better roster with 20 characters.

That said I feel some questionable choices in moves and dislike a lot of the stages, but the base content is pretty good

Garfield: 99%
Garfield plays pretty well and I love his stage, still hard for me to accept him as a Nickelodeon IP but he fits among the cast surprisingly well. Only not giving him a 100% because I have two others I'd give that to and don't want to overload everything with a 100%, between Jenny and Hugh I liked Garfield the least so that's why he got the 99% but his inclusion is still legendary.

Shredder: 70%
Gonna be honest not the biggest fan of 1987 TMNT and feels it's a bit over represented, and I don't like to play as or against Shredder. Biggest redeeming factor is bringing the Slime Time stage, hope we can get more live action IPs as stages.

Jenny Wakeman: 100%
Jenny was my second most wanted (behind Zim), and I really can't be happier with how she was adapted. There's a lot of great references in her moveset but I feel they never are "references for the sake of references" and she has a great moveset, she has one of the best alts, and her stage is both fun to play on and a joy to see. Everything was pulled off flawlessly, and I just couldn't be happier.
Hugh Neutron Satisfaction: 100%
Firstly I will admit I'm not that knowledgeable on Jimmy Neutron and was more of a Timmy's Dad person, that said I can't stop smiling at his inclusion. Him being in the game at all is amazing, sure Jimmy might've been more requested but Hugh feels personal to NASB and as a result we got a wonderful character that I wouldn't imagine being included in other Nickelodeon crossovers (aside maybe future ones seeing the success of Hugh here).

But yeah, Hugh feels great, is funny to play as, apparently has great references but I don't need to understand them to find them funny. His Stage also seems important to him and I find it fun to play on with great music, seriously why is the song so good?

Giving it a 100% because despite not knowing him well I love him, his stage, and how this feels like something special only NASB could do.

Noms: Rerate Otis xAll

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hugh Neutron Satisfaction: 95%

I absolutely love the whacky moveset they gave Hugh, as well as the references to the show that I was able to spot. I admit to struggling a bit getting used to how slow he moves (I don't know exactly if he's the slowest character in the game, but it feels like it), and I still don't really know how to do the special input they included, but he's still fun, and the fact that they managed to give Hugh Neutron of all characters a functional moveset shows that they'd probably be able to give any character one with enough research!

I also the theming of his stage as well as that background song; they really didn't need to go that hard with the music for Hugh's stage, but they did, and I love it! Especially what sounds like a choir chanting "Ducks and Pies"!

Charlie Brown 10%

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Hugh is the first character I ever ranked in this thread, I've been waiting a long time to come completely full circle.

Hugh Satisfaction: 80%

Hugh ever-lovin' Neutron. He's finally here, and he's got one hell of a moveset. Hugh's dancing, duck throwing, Chun Li referencing kit is a sight to behold. While they didn't reference my favorite Hugh moment (OOOOH CARIBOU!) they pulled most, if not all of his moves from episodes specifically centered on Hugh himself (of which there are a lot, funny enough). His alt and up-strong are exactly what I thought they was going to be, his stage is hilarious and since it and the burp are actually from the show, I'll give it a pass for being something in common with Garfield (whose stage is seemingly made up for the game). As for the pie move, not only is it different enough, but do you really expect Hugh Neutron to not use pie somewhere in his moveset?

So I only played Hugh for a little bit, he feels okay but not great. He's very slow, I've killed myself with the motorcycle move several times, and in general I don't feel like I've gotten the hang of him. His stage is kind of on the small side, so no idea how that's going to affect things going forward. I'm not super satisfied with him, but maybe that'll change, and they clearly put work into him. Plus they left the door WIDE open for Jimmy to come and be the real representative of his series.

Also, does he really have a back air or are you guys just ****ing with me?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Seems like the reason why some people can't do it is because it needs to be patched in on the console version.
Smells to me like you watched a modded copy of the game. Even if I asked you to show it, your copy could be modded, so uhhhh, yeah, I'm smelling bs.

While I'm here, might as well give my opinion.

Hugh Satisfaction: 15%

And a hefty majority of that is being carried by the song being an unironic jam. I've never been the fan of the "meme character" or the roster style of "let's choose someone other than the main character because it's different" kind of picks, and it's no different here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even the few we had before this point all made some level of sense to choose over their show's main protagonist, and NASB already had a meme dad character in Nigel, so I never got the appeal of Hugh, and frankly, I still don't. If they can give us Jimmy too, satisfaction would shoot up pretty high, but I don't see any reason they should've done Hugh first. Even as a meme pick, you'd think they'd want to do him as a big bang at the end to really get people talking, but being added between the highest request and a character that should've been in base doesn't give me any faith that they're going to prioritize getting in a character with literal infinite moveset potential like Jimmy. Also, his up special is a reference to a throwaway line, and we've never actually seen him with a banana couch. Inaccurate to source material, checkmate athiests.

Oh, and I'll be honest I don't like the fact that his stage is another "dream with food" stage, we already had one of those, and we even have another stage with giant food. Concept's getting played out.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Oh hey, I actually got the calculations done early this time.
Robbie Rotten
Chance: 0.03%
Want: 54.56%
Winners of predictions are Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario , GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , LimeTH LimeTH , DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire , Sid-cada Sid-cada , and DaUsername DaUsername , who all predicted 0%. They all get 100 extra noms!!!!

Robbie Rotten is also the fourth member if the Less Likely Than Goku Club.

Question: For noms can I do (Rerate) Otis?
Yes. Yes you can.
I only recommend against rerates if the character was rated super recently, but Otis was rated forever ago, so he's fine.

Smells to me like you watched a modded copy of the game. Even if I asked you to show it, your copy could be modded, so uhhhh, yeah, I'm smelling bs.
Nah, consoles just have an outdated version of the update. There's also a glitch that only exists on the console versions where Aang can instakill people with his down special.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Robbie Rotten is also the fourth member if the Less Likely Than Goku Club.
Funny. I gave him a 0.1% because I think he would be more likely than Goku, but only because Goku is like a -1% to me.

Also someone's gotta post some footage of Hugh's back air or something.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998

LimeTH

Smash Lord
100 noms towards Rocko's alternate render in the gallery being based on this specific stock promo art of him jumping in what appears to be joy but could also be shock

Originally I was just going to give one 1 nom each to 100 different SpongeBob characters lmao.
And then there's the Heffer equivalent, who's just vibin'.

1659906631686.png

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Duck Man Satisfaction

90%

While I would have preferred Timmy's dad, I'm still happy that we got Hugh. Especially now that I've got to play him and he feels like a natural pick for the game. I was kind of taken aback when he was announced before Jimmy, but the fact that the stage is so specific to Hugh makes me confident that Jimmy is still safe. So there's no hard feelings.

Plus he's just hilarious. Some of his moves like his up air and the down combo that ends with him saying "ta-da!" made me burst out laughing. Seeing him in action brought back memories with the references they put into his moveset. He's yet another fun and faithful addition to the roster. If you ask me, I think the devs have been knocking it out of the park consistently with these DLC characters.

Oh yeah, and the stage is neat. I just hope that in the future these dream stages aren't going to become too common.

Noms: Transformers rep x10

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know the feeling, I hope we get more on-location stages as well. Especially ones that aren't "Themed platform above a plateau/backdrop". Not every stage needs to be competitive-legal.
At the same time it might be a waste to add more casual content when they're hyperfocused on Multiversus and they aren't grateful that the game got items and voice acting at all (and before MVS launched for that matter)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
At the same time it might be a waste to add more casual content when they're hyperfocused on Multiversus and they aren't grateful that the game got items and voice acting at all (and before MVS launched for that matter)
I know, but we can't have samey competitive layouts for every stage either.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
More casual content would be nice (coin mode plz), there are absolutely still casual players and kids enjoying this game, but trying to "win back" the casual fandom as a whole is a lost cause at this point (and will likely stay as such unless a major streamer picks it up or a sequel is made). The focus on competitive viability going into the DLC stages was a good call IMO, though I feel the ideal solution would be giving each stage a togglable competitive and casual layout like Rivals.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
More casual content would be nice (coin mode plz), there are absolutely still casual players and kids enjoying this game, but trying to "win back" the casual fandom as a whole is a lost cause at this point (and will likely stay as such unless a major streamer picks it up or a sequel is made). The focus on competitive viability going into the DLC stages was a good call IMO, though I feel the ideal solution would be giving each stage a togglable competitive and casual layout like Rivals.
That would be a good solution. I just hope that the "competitive-only" image doesn't affect the franchise's direction in future entries.

Also a coin mode arriving with Mr. Krabs DLC would be hilarious!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Hugh Satisfaction: 95%

I haven't actually played as Hugh yet (mainly because I just got my hands on Xenoblade 3 and I am NOT playing anything else before I'm finished that), but I did watch the showcase and some miscellaneous clips of him doing stuff like the Chun Li kick and I can confidently say they did the goofy dad justice. They referenced most of the Hugh-centric episodes and even managed to incorporate iconic lines like the banana thing into his moveset somehow. I think his stage is neat, although it is kind of a retread of Garfield's conceptually, but it at least fits a goofy character like Hugh while still leaving the door open for an "actual" JN stage with Jimmy, so I'll give it a pass. (The music also goes WAY harder than it has any right to; they really went and saved the best song in the game for Hugh ****ing Neutron.) Really the only things I can dock points for are 1.) he doesn't reference the "UK LUK LUK YEAH, UK LUK LUK YEAH, OOOOOOOO CARIBOU!" thing anywhere in his moveset (though the spear does have a model since according to Rep it was planned to be his Light Up Attack or something), and 2.) they didn't make Cool Hugh his alt costume, which I thought was a given. They did reference Donut Boy, though, so all of that is moot.

Charlie Brown Prediction: 4%
Simply put, this is eligible?

Noms to Arnold

D

Deleted member

Hugh

Satisfaction - 95%
Would I have preferred Jimmy? Maybe! Possibly! Jimmy Neutron was a show I enjoyed a lot growong up and I would have loved to have seen with they could do with Jimmy's inventions. I'm totally up for going with a side character over a MC if said character is more interesting, see Helga or Nigel, but I also wouldn't want them to do that just for the sake of being wacky. However, it's hard to dislike Hugh. His reveal was a huge moment and had people talking about this game in a way we haven't seen since launch. And most of all, they did an amazing job with him! His moveset is full of funny references but it doesn't feel like it's toits detriment. I admitly haven't touched the game since the VA update, purely because I've been busy and there is a fancy new platform fighter that just came out, but funny donut man will probably get me to come back. I do kind of wish they did something else with the stage. It's totally fine but we have a stage taking place on floating food in a characters fantasy already, though I suspect they may be saving a more general Jimmy Neutron stage for the boy genius himself.

Noms to Power Rangers

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hugh is finally here! Took a while. Would have preferred if there was a bit more warning before his release, but I understand with the marketing budget this game has they probably can't afford two blitzes per character.

As for Hugh himself, I'm not going to give a satisfaction score. It wouldn't be fair, seeing how I haven't played him. While I can give my opinions of the selection and implementation, without getting a feel for the character I don't feel comfortable submitting to a score. There are characters that I wouldn't have expected to enjoy so much - or so little - pre-release! So it's only fair that Hugh gets that same benefit of the doubt.

Briefly, my thoughts on him are that I'm not into the pick. I don't find him particularly funny, and I think the fandom's fascination with bumbling dads kinda ruined it for me. I love Jimmy Neutron the show and its title character, so seeing him passed over for what is basically a joke, falls flat imo. The moveset, from what I've seen, isn't changing much of my mind. It doesn't look incoherent, but it doesn't look inspired either. Not a flashy archetype or a cool gimmick or anything to really make me go "wow, clearly they had a vision for Hugh!" and after the high of Jenny it's particularly egregious. As for the stage... C'mon, this is as uncreative as it gets. It was lazy when Garfield did it, and being done a second time is just absurd. If this is what it takes to get tournament legal stages, it's the best argument to be made against them ever.

Alright, enough negativity. What I really want to get into today is a deep(ish) dive into what Hugh's addition means for speculation.

The first conclusions to be drawn (and redrawn): meme characters get a lot of help. The devs clearly enjoy them and Nick is willing to give the go-ahead. So who does this mean? Otis is the main one. He was popular pre-release and has stayed consistent. The memes for BatB are arguably more widespread than Jimmy Neutron's. If there was to be an heir apparent to Hugh, much like El Tigre is to Jenny, it's Otis. Others to take into account are Fanboy & Chum Chum (as well as any rep for a derided show, but they're the face of the category), Otto Rocket (whose dated attitude is quite memetic) and any cartoon dad (first that comes to mind is Timmy's).

Another thing that won't strike anyone as a revelation: popularity and demand matters. Jenny was a stronger confirmation, but Hugh marks a trend. The devs are listening to what fans want. More importantly for the case of Hugh, they are listening to what fans say they want. Jimmy's inclusion was seen as obvious, so fans weren't vocal for him: as a result, Hugh got in before him, a controversial decision but one that makes sense considering what we know of the devs. They aim to please and make no assumptions so ask for the characters you want, not the ones you want after the ones you want. This bodes well for every character highly demanded but particularly during pre-release. If the devs were swift enough to pivot, Jimmy would probably be here.

Speaking of: time to address the elephant in the room. How does Hugh's inclusion affect Jimmy's odds? I was always the voice of pessimism, arguing that I don't see them adding two characters from one show as DLC. That sentiment still rings true, but one thing has made me pause: Hugh's stage. Now, the devs are savvy to fan expectations for this sort of thing and have been vocal about breaking fan rules. It would have been perfectly in character for them to give Hugh a stage in which Jimmy shows up and then add him anyway. But the fact is, Hugh is solely representing himself and nothing but himself. His moveset and stage are Hugh content, not Jimmy Neutron content, to a weird degree. Obviously Hugh wasn't about to be using science gadgets, but a Retroville stage would've made perfect sense (more than what we got even). It's all just too conspicuous. It might just be the devs leaning hard into making stages tournament legal, or the concept that home stages have to be super personal, but there is a chance that they're ay least covering for the future.

I still feel that Jimmy is more unlikely than not, but I am more willing to consider the possibility after seeing how Hugh was implemented. Let's just say everyone's wishful thinking rubbed off on me.

Took me a while to get this post done! I should probably proofread more, and I'm sure that if I take another day I can probably think of more to say, but I'm really busy so this will have to do.

My prediction for Charlie stays the same. Since Robot and Monster are already up near the top, I'll give my noms for today (if there are any) and all my extra noms to Sanjay and Craig.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
they are listening to what fans say they want. Jimmy's inclusion was seen as obvious, so fans weren't vocal for him
The problem is that Jimmy wasn't 100% running on assumption. His support was very vocal as well, and he would regularly poll well above Hugh in fan polls.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Hugh is finally here! Took a while. Would have preferred if there was a bit more warning before his release, but I understand with the marketing budget this game has they probably can't afford two blitzes per character.

As for Hugh himself, I'm not going to give a satisfaction score. It wouldn't be fair, seeing how I haven't played him. While I can give my opinions of the selection and implementation, without getting a feel for the character I don't feel comfortable submitting to a score. There are characters that I wouldn't have expected to enjoy so much - or so little - pre-release! So it's only fair that Hugh gets that same benefit of the doubt.

Briefly, my thoughts on him are that I'm not into the pick. I don't find him particularly funny, and I think the fandom's fascination with bumbling dads kinda ruined it for me. I love Jimmy Neutron the show and its title character, so seeing him passed over for what is basically a joke, falls flat imo. The moveset, from what I've seen, isn't changing much of my mind. It doesn't look incoherent, but it doesn't look inspired either. Not a flashy archetype or a cool gimmick or anything to really make me go "wow, clearly they had a vision for Hugh!" and after the high of Jenny it's particularly egregious. As for the stage... C'mon, this is as uncreative as it gets. It was lazy when Garfield did it, and being done a second time is just absurd. If this is what it takes to get tournament legal stages, it's the best argument to be made against them ever.

Alright, enough negativity. What I really want to get into today is a deep(ish) dive into what Hugh's addition means for speculation.

The first conclusions to be drawn (and redrawn): meme characters get a lot of help. The devs clearly enjoy them and Nick is willing to give the go-ahead. So who does this mean? Otis is the main one. He was popular pre-release and has stayed consistent. The memes for BatB are arguably more widespread than Jimmy Neutron's. If there was to be an heir apparent to Hugh, much like El Tigre is to Jenny, it's Otis. Others to take into account are Fanboy & Chum Chum (as well as any rep for a derided show, but they're the face of the category), Otto Rocket (whose dated attitude is quite memetic) and any cartoon dad (first that comes to mind is Timmy's).

Another thing that won't strike anyone as a revelation: popularity and demand matters. Jenny was a stronger confirmation, but Hugh marks a trend. The devs are listening to what fans want. More importantly for the case of Hugh, they are listening to what fans say they want. Jimmy's inclusion was seen as obvious, so fans weren't vocal for him: as a result, Hugh got in before him, a controversial decision but one that makes sense considering what we know of the devs. They aim to please and make no assumptions so ask for the characters you want, not the ones you want after the ones you want. This bodes well for every character highly demanded but particularly during pre-release. If the devs were swift enough to pivot, Jimmy would probably be here.

Speaking of: time to address the elephant in the room. How does Hugh's inclusion affect Jimmy's odds? I was always the voice of pessimism, arguing that I don't see them adding two characters from one show as DLC. That sentiment still rings true, but one thing has made me pause: Hugh's stage. Now, the devs are savvy to fan expectations for this sort of thing and have been vocal about breaking fan rules. It would have been perfectly in character for them to give Hugh a stage in which Jimmy shows up and then add him anyway. But the fact is, Hugh is solely representing himself and nothing but himself. His moveset and stage are Hugh content, not Jimmy Neutron content, to a weird degree. Obviously Hugh wasn't about to be using science gadgets, but a Retroville stage would've made perfect sense (more than what we got even). It's all just too conspicuous. It might just be the devs leaning hard into making stages tournament legal, or the concept that home stages have to be super personal, but there is a chance that they're ay least covering for the future.

I still feel that Jimmy is more unlikely than not, but I am more willing to consider the possibility after seeing how Hugh was implemented. Let's just say everyone's wishful thinking rubbed off on me.

Took me a while to get this post done! I should probably proofread more, and I'm sure that if I take another day I can probably think of more to say, but I'm really busy so this will have to do.

My prediction for Charlie stays the same. Since Robot and Monster are already up near the top, I'll give my noms for today (if there are any) and all my extra noms to Sanjay and Craig.
I agree with most of what you said here, with one exception - Jimmy consistently outdid Hugh on every poll, pretty much always taking the second spot behind Jenny. Theres also the fact that nothing is stopping them from adding more from the same series. Smash 4 gave us two DLC FE reps after all. They've seen that demand for Jimmy is probably even bigger now, and in fact there is no probably - he's the new poll champion.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming Let's chalk it up to a difference in recollection. I certainly remember people being excited for Jimmy to be in, but that didn't necessarily translate to calls for him to be in (why would it? He was a lock). A subtle difference for sure, but I think it's one that made a difference. Never rest on your laurels and all that.

I 100% agree that Jimmy's demand right now puts him at the top of the pack with only Timmy coming close. Absence sure makes the heart grow fonder.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming Let's chalk it up to a difference in recollection. I certainly remember people being excited for Jimmy to be in, but that didn't necessarily translate to calls for him to be in (why would it? He was a lock). A subtle difference for sure, but I think it's one that made a difference. Never rest on your laurels and all that.

I 100% agree that Jimmy's demand right now puts him at the top of the pack with only Timmy coming close. Absence sure makes the heart grow fonder.
I'm talking all the polls in regards to who people wanted to see as DLC once the base roster was revealed but prior to the reveal of DLC. Jimmy always did better. Read the threads on here and reddit if you don't believe me.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I think they added Hugh before Jimmy because Hugh's demand is specific to NASB, and judging by what they said at the beginning of the showcase, they clearly wanted to give back to the community for sticking with the game. A love letter to the fans, if you will, in a way that Jenny and Rocko aren't in spite of their popularity.

That said, I am fairly certain Jimmy's coming at this point not only because of the lack of actual JN representation in Hugh's pack, but also just because we know who we're dealing with here. We already know the execs at Nick originally wanted a much more tame and generic roster, with the devs having to fight for "oddball" picks like Lucy and Oblina. Considering that, imagine that you're Nickexec Funhaterson and the developers of some throwaway title you expected to bomb from the start come up to you asking for money to put Jimmy Neutron's dad in it. How do you think Mr. Funhaterson, who hates fun and wanted only marketable picks in this game since day 1, is going to respond to this proposal? "Uhh, not without Jimmy you ain't." From what we know about Nick and the types of characters they do and do not want in this game, I just can't imagine a timeline where they greenlight Hugh's inclusion without the stipulation that Jimmy himself comes down the line at some point. (And that's of course assuming the devs didn't wanna put in Jimmy in the first place, which I find to be pretty unlikely.)

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I agree with the sentiment that Hugh's pack being so solely centered around Hugh himself, complete with the Pule stage, that it's leading up to real JN representation down the line. Hugh isn't the JN representative, he's the NASB community's representative.

Granted, the Pule stage IS a direct reference to a scene from the show.
1660077565571.png

But it's still so Hugh specific that they gotta know they've got Jimmy and Retroville (or whatever else) coming down the line. I bet you anything he's next after Rocko.

Also chucking in 15 noms for each Beaver, now that I have enough to do that. I'll save the other 65 noms for later.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Hughtisfaction: 99%
Hugh is basically every I wanted him to be. Crazy moveset, super fun to play as, good stage, awesome music. My only real complaint is that I wish his alt was Cool Hugh instead. Aside from that, he's perfect. Can't wait for Jimmy.

Noms: Power Rangers rep x5
DAY OVER
Rate Charlie Brown, predict Sanjay & Craig.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
You're (not) on Nickelodeon, Charlie Brown!
0%
So... uhh... like Sabrina, this is another "where to start?" one - while I do think syndicated characters are possible, I don't think it'd be Charlie - I remember reading that the Schulz estate are extremely picky on quality, (though I can't find any proof of this) it's kind of a random pick despite technically being elegible, and above all: Snoopy exists. The face of the merchandise, and the character most commonly associated with Garfield. I wouldn't give Snoopy a 0.1% either, but likely a 0.0.1% over Charlie at least

If there is a syndicated character I feel it'd either be Alvin (since he consistently draws in big ratings for Nick), Danger Mouse (for history's sake) or a WildBrain character (since they're probably the least stingy license holders)

5 noms for Extra taunts update

robert's snake burger prediction: 13%

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It's a Crossover, Charlie Brown!
Chance: 1%
Want: 30%

So while Charlie Brown has been on Nickelodeon before, like Garfield, there are a few things holding him back.
Nick doesn't own the Peanuts franchise.
The Peanuts company is very insistent on keeping the spirit of the series intact and are very careful about who they license out to.
Most of all, if they were going to put in a Peanuts character, it'd 110% be Snoopy before anyone else. Even if Snoopy wasn't already the moneymaker, Charlie Brown is a non-violent character, whereas Snoopy frequently gets into fights and has a few combat based alter egos like the WWI Flying Ace.
Snoopy would probably be my choice anyway, as much as I like Good Ol' Chuck.

Still more likely than Goku though.

10 noms for each Beaver

Sanjay and Craig prediction: 20%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good grief!
Chance - 0%
Charlie and the Penuts are incredibly iconic. But the big issue he has here is that it's simply not a Nickelodeon franchise. Paramount / Viacom do not own it. Peanuts does have some history on the network, but you could say that about a lot of characters. I don't think we're gonna be getting any guest characters like this, and if we did there are other options Charlie would have to compete with. The Schulz estate are apparently fairly selective, and I wonder how they'd feel about Charile's apperance in a fighting game. If we where to get any Penauts rep it would likely be Snoopy anyway. He's the one who gets involved in the most action and is by far the most iconic part of the franchise.

Want - 20%
I like the Penauts. I definitely think Charile would be fun. And while I'd ideally like this game to focus on homegrown Nickelodeon characters, Charile fits well, unlike someone like Goku. I'd probably pick Snoopy over him though due to more moveset potential, and my fondness for the beagle.

Sanjay and Craig prediction: 16%

Noms to Power Rangers

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
poor sweet baby

0% not happening. what's curious is how many of these games he's deemed eligible for. they did it for multiversus and here we are, just wait for the disney one we'll rate him again then cause fox did the last film. as far as i can tell shulz's estate still owns him and we have no reason to think they'll add 3rd parties.

want: 50% well i do love him but i'd rather have in in a comic strip character game. still if he was added i wouldn't say no like i said i love that guy. i've read many a comic and seen many a cartoon, peanuts is amazing and ol' chuck is no exception. i suppose his moveset would be one of those ones i keep picturing for wil e. coyote where he keeps having accidents and that's what attack his foes.

for now how ever this is as close as you'll get to charlie brown and garfield together https://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1996/01/25

noms to eliza

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In lieu of a pun, have some art
This will be stuck in your head now; you're welcome

Chance: 5%
Peanuts is one of the rare big IPs nowadays that isn't owned by, nor has an exclusive licensing deal with, a major media conglomerate. I could bore you with the legalese regarding who owns what stake in the property but basically, Charles Shulz's children are in control of the where and how Peanuts characters are used, and they are adamant that any adaptation stick faithfully to their father's work. In spite of that, they don't hesitate to license out the property often and to many parties (every single one of the big 5 Hollywood studios has dealt with Peanuts at some point).

We don't know if NASB will spread to third party characters. For one, it's a matter of budget, the eternal bane of the poor devs. Licensing out IP can't be cheap. But also there are other factors, like reputation (the notoriously picky Shulz estate might not want to give their characters to a dev team that hasn't really acquitted itself yet) and the fact that we're still spoiled for choice with Nick characters that are important and/or popular (and Paramount's many child friendly acquisitions that they definitely want you to be aware of). Still, there's no debate that Peanuts would be an enticing get for the game. It's one of those brands that have a timeless and universal feel to them, like Hello Kitty. Peanuts would be a big get for NASB, and with Nick having history with the franchise (who hasn't?), it's likely that they could start talks to make it happen.

The main question is whether the Schulz family would consider it on-brand to have a character from their wholesome, nostalgic comic strip duking it out with Ren and Stimpy. It's not a question I can answer, as it has many factors. Would the violence itself be inappropriate? Peanuts characters sharing the screen with memetic characters and edgy humor? Charlie Brown being mechanically able to win something? At the end of the day only the Schulzes can decide, and you know what? I trust them to make the call. If they give the go-ahead, it's because and only because they found a way to get it done without being disrespectful of the property; otherwise they'll pull the plug (and NASB can instead add Paramount's new acquisition: Big Nate!)

If we indulge the hypothetical (and isn't that the entire premise this fine website was founded upon?) then there's one thing left to wonder: who gets chosen? Who is granted the privilege to engage in glorious combat against April O'Neil? The first choice in my mind would be Snoopy, probably assisted by Woodstock. Snoopy's the mascot, to the point where in parts of the world the franchise is named after him. His face is on merch everywhere. He's also got the most moveset potential of any of the characters with his several disguises/personas, especially the Flying Ace; as mentioned before, there's also Woodstock, Snoopy's sidekick and fellow mascot. The smol bird would likely pop up as an assist for various moves. However, if for some reason they don't want to do Snoopy, then and only then might protagonist and eternal plaything of the universe Charlie Brown get the spot instead. The strip and cartoons usually follow him, to the point where Peanuts specials traditionally have him - not Peanuts, not Snoopy - on the name. He's got many iconic running gags (the football kick, his attempts at baseball, the various kites) that rely on physical humor and slapstick, so he provides enough material for a moveset. This might also make him the one character exempt from potential concerns about violence: it's one thing for a young kid or a cute puppy to get the snot kicked out of them, but it's another when ol' Chuck, the kid seemingly destined for failure, is subjected to cartoon violence. Something to think about.

Want: 100%
Do I like Peanuts? I don't know, check my username.

I was introduced to Peanuts through two different, very particular ways. One was through the Poptropica crossover, I played that game religiously as a kid and Peanuts was a great match with its comedy-and-puzzle-centric gameplay. The second, and most relevant, was learning that the Mother games, my favorites of all time, took inspiration from Peanuts' very specific brand of Americana. Add the great artstyle, dialogue, and characters, and I was hooked.

What I'm getting at, besides my love for the property, is that I was introduced to it through and by videogames. From what I understand, it's an American tradition that many Peanuts specials are shown on TV yearly, so people are introduced to them all the time. That's not a thing where I live, and I hazard that it's the same in many other countries around the world. For those territories, there needs to be a way in for people, to actually get into the franchise and characters and not see Peanuts as just cute characters to put on lunchboxes. New specials and series could work, sure, if they weren't on a streaming service that nobody watches (sorry Apple+, but on the bright side, you have maybe the best content of them all?). There needs to be a different way, and if TV and movies won't do the job, why not videogames? They're one of the most popular mediums today, especially with young audiences. So if by some weird miracle we got Peanuts into a game such as NASB, a young boy or girl could be introduced to something wonderful much like I was all those years ago. There's something in that notion that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Also:
Good grief!
You called?

Noms: SwaySway and Buhdeuce (it had to happen eventually)
S&C prediction: 2%

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Charlie Brown

Chance: 3% -
Charlie Brown is very interesting in this context, there's a lot to dissect here! To get started, as GoodGrief explained, Peanuts is wholly owned by Charles' Schulz's family and estate, with several parties having partial stake in the series (such as United Features Syndicate, which used to fund the strip and still remains the distributor for newspapers). Though the family DOES have full control of how the characters are used, so negotiations would be with a single party and thus a little easier. As a result, all of the big media conglomerates have dipped their toes in it at some point (including Paramount), and as a result (unlike Robbie Rotten) Charlie Brown isn't owned by a competitor.

Paramount did indeed have a stake in the series back in the late 90's. Episodes of the Charlie Brown and Snoopy show, along with several of the specials, were aired on Nickelodeon under the title "You're on Nickelodeon, Charlie Brown". I don't know if this extended to international versions of Nick, but if so it falls within the nostalgia period for the devs, which helps a ton. Even then, this gives it a direct connection to Nickelodeon (they also had an indirect one at one point, when Cedar Point Parks had rights to both the Peanuts Gang and Nickelodeon's characters). Couple that with the fact that we already have Garfield and it results in Charlie Brown not feeling too out of place on the game's roster. An iconic and beloved worldwide character that wouldn't be difficult to negotiate on paper, and would be seen as a prestige pick and big get for the game! What's stopping Paramount from going for him?

Firstly, we have to look at how the Schulz family would feel about having Charlie Brown in a goofy platformer fighter. Peanuts is typically seen as very wholesome, so having Charlie Brown duke it out with edgier characters like Ren and Stimpy or Zim might not be seen as in good taste. Though at the same time, this is still goofy cartoon slapstick violence where the characters aren't suffering serious injuries. Furthermore, Peanuts itself is no stranger to violence. Lucy would often hit or threaten to hit people in the strip's first two or three decades, Snoopy would often get into scraps with entities like the Cat Next Door, or his famous tangles with the Red Baron in his imagine spot sequences (in fact Snoopy's imagine spots were often associated with war. A Revolutionary War patriot was another of his imagine-spot alter egos, and made it a tradition to visit Bill Mauldin for root beers on the anniversary of D-Day). Hell,
look what Patty did to Charlie Brown in the second-ever Peanuts strip! So goofy slapstick isn't entirely out-of-character for Peanuts, and would be something to consider. There's also the fact that Charles Schulz would never let Charlie Brown win, or almost such. Even he himself regretted not giving Charlie Brown more victories during the strip's run, and he even gets a big one at the end of the Peanuts Movie, so Charlie Brown winning a goofy fight that most won't even remember isn't gonna be that unfaithful to the series. Nonetheless, the family is strict with depictions, so whether or not they'll trust Ludocity is up in the air.

There's also the matter of competition with his faithful dog Snoopy. He and his antics are the mascot face of the series, and said antics may make him more marketable and have more moveset potential. Hell, the franchise is downright named after Snoopy in other countries (Japan's a very famous example, and Sanrio losing the Peanuts license is what led to the creation of Hello Kitty). His level of slapstick puts him on the same tier as Garfield in that regard and thus the devs may find him easier to work with (especially since they can re-use clips rather than having to bring in an outside child VA to voice him (Snoopy only makes noises in the specials, even though he speaks via thought bubbles in the strips)). And that all depends if they can even get the budget for an undoubtedly expensive character. If Nick really wants to push Peanuts then I can see them giving it a go, but right now it might not be the best way to spend the team's limited funds. Though on the flip side, Charlie Brown is undoubtedly the main character of the strip. It follows him, the specials are always named after him (even the few that have him with little involvement, including the infamous Girl in the Red Truck), and Schulz himself wanted to name the strip after him (despite
SHERMY of all characters being planned as the original main character). So the Schulz family, if they approve, might push for him to represent Peanuts over the marketability of Snoopy.

Finally, we have the matter of the current state of NASB and its community. The demand is currently on the loads of first-party Nick superstars that have yet to get into the game, and the only third parties coming close are the heavily Nick-associated Dreamworks characters. We're in the 64/Melee era of the franchise's character history, so we'll have to wait for most of the big first party picks to get in before we can get to our Snakes and Sonics. So in the end, there currently isn't much demand for Charlie Brown nor possibly the budget to put him in the game. He's still a possibility with a lot of up sides, but not one I'm currently banking on.

Though, interestingly enough, we already have a
character on the roster heavily based on him!

Want: 100% - Hell YES!!! While I do think they should get more Nick superstars in first, Charlie Brown would be my all time top choice for a third-party character! I've adored Peanuts ever since I was a kid, when my parents introduced me to the specials, the music, the strips, and so much more! And when I wasn't buying Bionicles I would even save up my allowance to buy the next volume of The Complete Peanuts! Peanuts is a timeless series with so much to love, and absolutely deserves to be immortalized in a celebration game of some kind! Plus the devs did such a good job with Garfield and translating the comic elements over to the game that I'd love to see how they'd tackle Charlie Brown's antics! The stage would be gorgeous as well, they could easily take design cues from how The Peanuts Movie handled their world in 3D (and as we've seen with The Loud House, the devs are very good at that)! Throw on some Vince Guaraldi-style jazz piano for the stage music as the cherry on top! Peanuts has been a big part of me for a long time and this would be an extremely fun way to celebrate it!

I also really wanna see these two fight side by side!

DsQvemsV4AA4n6v.jpg

Nominations:
(Rerate) Luna Loud x10
(Rerate) El Tigre x5

Preictions:
Sanjay and Craig - 2.17% - Despite completing their whole run on the main channel the gross-out of the first season turned a lot of people off from the show, and thus translated into little to no demand for the duo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom