• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Simmer down!
Chance: 30%

I know a lot of you are probably too young to remember Nickelodeon's old host, Stick Stickly, so there's probably gonna be a bunch of low scores and abstains from people who don't have any context to the character. Let me break it down for ya.

If you remember Face from Nick Jr, Stick Stickly was basically that for regular Nickelodeon. Stick would have segments during commercial breaks where he would read fanmail (hence his telling you to write to him), his U-Dip segment where he, being a popsicle stick, would be dipped in something (picked by viewers) and had to guess what it was, "Thinking Hat" trivia segments, and announcing viewer selected shows, among other things, like hosting NYE countdowns and appearances at the Kids Choice Awards. Stick Stickly also got two specials devoted to him, one where he searches NYC for his long lost brother, and one where he goes ice skating and is frozen in a block of ice.
He was really popular and was more or less Nick's mascot during his tenure on the channel, appearing on food packages and even getting a sweepstakes themed around him. To this day, tons of us who grew up watching him have his jingle stuck in our heads. "Write to me! Stick Stickly! PO Box 963! New York City, New York State! 10108!"
He spent several years in limbo before making his triumphant return to Nick's nostalgia based programming blocks. He even got to host NYE again!

Demand wise, Stick Stickly got a pretty big resurgence on social media when Nick Brawl was announced. Like almost immediately tons and tons of people were saying Stick should be in the game somewhere, either playable or as an announcer. Much like Hugh, this was actually acknowledged by Nickelodeon AND Ludosity.

1651467359225.png

Yes, Nick established this was a joke, but the response was people going harder on wanting Stick

Even people like Invader ZIM creator Johnen Vasquez were calling for Stick to meake an appearance.

Stick was probably the second biggest meme pick during the initial hype period after Hugh. There's no way none of you guys saw him pop up on your Twitter feeds.

Could Stick make it to this game as a DLC character? Most likely not, unless Ludosity is feeling bold. While he's been mentioned enough times on social media that I don't think he's too deep a cut, he might still be a little too obscure for anyone born after 98'. He'd be a big draw for any really die hard 90's Nick fans, but probably not many others beyond the novelty of the character.
If we were talking about a sequel instead, his chances would go WAY up. Base rosters are the perfect place for absolute bat**** character choices. But with DLC, you need characters that will absolutely sell. Stick Stickly would be hilarious to have, but we might have to wait a while for him..

Want: 100%

We are basically looking at the Mr. Game and Watch/ROB of Nickelodeon, and quite possibly the closest thing we could get to a live action character besides The Flesh. I can't imagine a better pick for a crazy wildcard WTF character for a Nick Brawl game than friggin' Stick Stickly. It'd be perfect.
I don't know what you guys are worried about, he's got plenty of moveset potential. He could have moves based around his hosting segments, his specials and the fact that he's a stick. Like imagine dips that have different status effects, kicking people with his ice skate, slamming down in a block of ice, his recovery being him getting lifted up by the Thinking Hat, swinging himself at you, spinning in mid air, tossing giant envelopes, he has the potential to be the funniest character in the entire roster. I know we're worried about him being "just a stick" but I feel like limitations like that breed more creative characters, and the Ludosity devs are by no means uncreative.

Also personally, I remember trying to make my own Stick Stickly when I was like 3 or 4. I loved the little guy. I'd be beyond thrilled to see him.

Luann prediction: 10%

Noms
3x Movie Sonic
2x Norbert

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm this name puts in mind of someone getting hit over the head with a bible

anyway abstain. dont know it noms to sabrina

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll abstain. I have never heard of Stickly, could be because he was before my time or because I'm pretty sure his segment didn't air outside English-speaking regions, but yeah.

Noms: The Flesh
Luan prediction: 17%

D

Deleted member

Stick Stickly

Chance- 15%
This fella does seem to have both nostalgia and memes on his side, the dev team are seemingly aware of that. I can see them wanting to include a catch-all Nickelodeon character, and he would be a pretty good option. He was apparently consdired a bit of a mascot for a time and was pretty popular. But (from what I understand) he's just a popsicle stick with a face. I don't know if they'd see much gameplay potential in him. He doesn't even have any limbs! But there's allways the chance the devs are able to come up with something creative for him. Perhaps there's something there I'm unaware of.

Want - 10%
This is simply a case where I have nothing against the character and have no particular issue with them, but I also have no real attachment and their inclusion wouldn't do anything for me. I hadn't even heard of him before people started mentioning him for this game. But that's most likely an age and regional thing. I don't know if he even really has any moveset potential. But pepole seem to want him so I didn't give him too low a rating.

Noms to Fanboy and Chum-Chum

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
An actual, literal popsicle stick
Chance: 5%

He's a stick with a face.

Ok, in all seriousness, this guy DOES have some history with the network backing him up, essentially being the channel's mascot around the mid-90's. He also apparently has some demand behind him (which I wasn't even aware of until today), which the devs have acknowledged albeit in a joking manner. Generally, I'd say the chance that Sticklyman here gets in a future NASB game at some point is pretty good, but for this game, I kinda doubt it. I won't deny the nonzero chance that the devs decide to be cheeky and end this game off with a total "WTF" pick and add Stickly, but it's a longshot at best.

Want: 10%

Alright, it would be KINDA funny for a popsicle stick to get in this game as a playable character. Personally though, I just don't see the appeal here. Granted, I was raised on 2000's Nick and thus barely know who this guy is, but even if I did I'm not sure I'd want him in the game. I mean, he's a STICK. What's he gonna do, poke you to death? I'm sure you COULD come up with a moveset for him based on various bumpers and things he's been in, but at that point I'd rather we go with someone with cooler and/or more obvious moveset potential.

Luan Prediction: 13%
Once again, don't even know who this one is. Is THIS the joke-telling one, or am I thinking of somebody else?

5 noms to Albert
5 noms to Bubble Bass

Abstain

100 noms? Not sure where they came from but...

105 noms towards The Expired Cow
I see you're trying to outdo me in the "random obscure characters no one would think to nominate" department.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Stick Stickly

Chance - 1% - His appeal has been acknowledged by some, but otherwise he seems way too out their to the vast majority of characters. He's been kinda aged out, and there isn't much room for meme-esque characters in DLC. In addition, he seems just plain hard to work with; he is a limbless popsicle stick that is dependent on having his bottom half hidden for him to move, so coming up with a full moveset and animation set might be hard.

Want - 35% - I know he's somewhat memed on, but honestly he really needs a good move set to get my appeal. He's just unappealing when we need heavy hitters right now.

Predictions

Luan -8.34% - The Loud Sister everyone has their eyes on.

Nominations

Olmec's Temple X5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Stick Stickly

Chance: 15% -
I didn't realize he was as big as he was, and as some have mentioned earlier his recent appearances on NickRewind have definitely added to his chances. Plus there's the meme appeal, and if what I've read is any evidence, whether or not it's a joke there's plenty of joke appeal surrounding his inclusion! Plus Nick officially acknowledging him is a plus, and he fit SQUARELY within the devs' 90's bias appeal range, so he's got a surprising amount in his favor! So why the low score?

Two reasons. First, I believe his fan demand is rather overstated. I had never even heard of Stick Stickly until PapaGenos brought him up once as a joke pick. and this is coming from someone who had Nickelodeon on 24/7 and was born in the mid 90's. I've never seen him poll well, and the more serious fan demand is squarely focused on bigger, more famous characters. And even among niche characters he's never really mentioned. Plus, the DLC needs big characters to bring players back. Maybe as a WTF pick towards the end, but no way are we getting him before someone like Jimmy Neutron.

Second is the fact that, like many have mentioned, he's a popsicle stick. There's little to no movement possibilities for him, and unless the devs got extremely creative I don't see any way to make him work as a fighter. Especially when there's so many other characters that are dying for creative movesets. I can see him being in a non-playable role as a host or stage cameo, but as a playable character I still think his chances are slim despite his strengths.

Want: 10% - I don't have anything against him, his segments seem like they were a lot of fun and they're very important to Nick history! But despite bring born in the mid-90's I have no memory of him whatsoever and was primarily raised by 2000's Nick, so I have no connection to him whatsoever. Plus it also would depend on when he shows up. I'd be extremely upset if we got a 90's-bias popsicle stick over someone like Jimmy Neutron or Timmy Turner, and I'm sure a lot of others would feel the same way. Plus this game really needs big characters to bring players back, and I want to see this game's playerbase grow (and hopefully develop a casual fanbase, most of the existing fanbase is made up of competitive/tournament people). Stick Stickly is not the way to do that. Plus, like with Ginger, I just cannot think of anything you could do with him! and like As Told by Ginger, he'd definitely work in a non-playable role such as an announcer, host, or stage cameo, but I just wouldn't want to see him take a slot as a playable character. I know Smash had characters like Game and Watch before Wario, Dedede, etc, but just because Smash did it doesn't mean All Star Brawl should repeat it.

Nominations:
Mr. X x10

Predictions:
Luan Loud - 14.26% - Expecting similar scores to but slightly lower than Luna. She's had fighting game representation before and is one of the more requested sisters!

WHAT THE **** IS THIS?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Abstain. Same as the rest of these kids.

Noms to Fanboy and Chum-Chum

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Clown of the family

Chance: 15%

From my quick research, Luan is a comedian who likes to party and pull pranks. The devs have been pretty creative so far so I don't see them struggling to come up with a moveset for her. Now I don't know how popular she is compared to her sisters, but in any case she has the same problem with her belonging to a bloated cast. The Loud House is a very successful show, but the huge cast makes it so that everyone cannibalizes each other's chances.

Want: 0%

There's nothing new to say here. I have nothing against the show, it just came out after I grew out of cartoons and the premise doesn't interest me.

Prediction: Live action characters - 25% (I look forward to seeing the ratings. It should be a very interesting conversation)

Noms: Josh and Parker xMax (Using up all my extra noms)

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Luann Loud

Chance: 40%

Repeating what I said back when Luna was being ranked...

I know a lot of you are going to think "well there are already so many Loud House characters to compete with for a character slot", and I think a lot of you are overestimating how many of these characters would actually work as fighting game characters. Leni was somehow talked about in here before anyone else, and I don't see her ever getting in.
With this in mind, Luann definitely has a lot going in her favor. She's got the moveset potential and an interesting archetype to work with. She's got an appearance in a past Nick Brawl game under her belt in the App game, which is probably already a good point in her favor. I'd say she's the second most likely Loud Sister after Luna to get in, and I ranked Luna pretty high.
Do I expect Luann as DLC in this game? Not really, again, I'd put my money on Luna, but if DLC goes on long enough or a potential sequel happens, I'd find her to be very likely.

Eh. I'm neutral on TLH and Luann is just a mite annoying to me, but her potential as far as a unique, comedian style moveset can't be ignored, so heck, why not.

Live Action prediction: 5%

Noms
3x Movie Sonic
2x Norbert

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Luan Loud

Chance: 40% -
After Luna and Clyde, she's the most likely Loud House character to join the roster. She's not a stage cameo, she's pretty popular (outside of those awful April Fools Day episodes where she becomes a sociopath), she has loads of moveset potential (being a prankster comedian), and she's had a precious appearance in Nick fighting games before, that being Super Brawl World. She's really only held back by the same issues a lot of Loud House characters face in NASB, namely a lack of fan demand/popularity or dev bias. But Nick clearly sees value in her, so I can see it happen in Nick corporate steps in and asks them to add her. Furthermore, one of the devs liked Lucy and they were all willing to fight Nick to get her in the game, so if there is a fan of The Loud House ont he development staff he/she could very much fight for Luan as well. It's hard to say!

Want: 60% - Outside of said April Fools Day episodes Luan's a wonderful character and I think she could make for a very funny moveset! She can throw all sorts of pranks, balloon animals, pies, and can mime and even attack with her ventriloquist dummy Mr. Coconuts! There's a lot of potential here they could use for a very colorful and crazy fighter! I'm only taking off points due to having other priorities at the moment, but I would still be super happy if Luan joined the roster!

Nominations:
Mr. X x10

Predictions:
Live Action Characters - 5.37% - The devs tried to get Alex Mack so there's a non-zero chance, but at the same time with Drake and Josh being the only notable Live Action characters with any noticeable fan demand I don't see much confidence, especially when there'd be extra costs involved to get an actor's likeness into the game.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Luan Loud

Chance - 12.5% - I'm giving her the same score as Luna. While maybe not quite as popular, her overall gimmick of being a stand-up comedian and prankster makes her a very rich ground for move set potential. She's probably more popular in NASB than in her home series, but overall she seems like a reasonable pick.

Want - 50% - Eh, she could be cool. I just have no attachment to the Loud House.

Predictions

Live Action Character - 2.45% - Shouldn't be too high...

Nominations

Olmec's Temple X5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Stick Stickly
Chance: 13%
Want: 29.29%
Winner of predictions is Ze Diglett Ze Diglett , who predicted 12.6%. You get 10 extra noms!

I know it ain't 100 noms this time, but what the HECK.

Anyhoo, Luan time:
Chance: 10%

Ok, I was right this time, this IS the joke-telling one. I'd say Luan's probably one of the more likely Loud sisters to join the fray since she has a unique shtick (no pun intended) with the potential for a comedy moveset based on gags and ventriloquist dummies and stuff like that. She's also one of the only Loud sisters I've heard people express interest in actually being in the game, so there's that too. There's also the fact that she has been in a Nickeodeon fighting game already, which in my opinion doesn't boost her chances too much, but it does prove that she's a viable contender moreso than her competitors. That said, she does still suffer from the chance dilution that affects the rest of the Loud House cast, not to mention the prospect of a TLH character's an unknown quantity as of this point, hence the low score.

Want: Abstain
This one at least sounds like a fun character - I do like my funnies - but I still haven't seen an episode of The Loud House and probably never will. So, abstain.

Live-Action Prediction: 1.23%
The devs effectively shot this one down pre-launch with the whole Alex Mack thing, and I don't anticipate they'll have the means or the budget to make that change post-launch.

Seeing as we've got an Action League Now character coming up, I'll give 110 noms to MELTMAN, WITH THE POWER TO... MELT!

(And if there are any leftover, give 'em to Albert.)

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Get it???????
Chance: 30%
From what I've seen, she seems to be the most requested Loud House character. However, there's many more characters from many other series that people want more, so she still isn't very likely.
Want: 85%
Luan is easily my most wanted Loud House character. A wacky comedy prankster character would be a perfect fit for this game. The possibilities are endless.

Live-action prediction: 10%
Noms: Miko x5
DAY OVER
Rate Concept: Live-action characters, predict Albert (A Small Tree With A Big Dream) and Meltman (Action League Now!)

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Live Action Characters are probably at a permanent Zero due to Actor’s Likenesses, and how absurdly low this game’s budget is.

D

Deleted member

Chance - 10%
The team did apparently consider Alex Mack at one point in development, but the idea seemingly wasn't approved. However in a later interview they said they weren't really looking at them. It's not impossible that a character catches their eye. But a big issue is which kind of character they go with. I can't see them doing multiple. Do they go with a more modern rep like Carly Shay, Sam and Cat or a Thunderman (Drake and Josh is definitely not happening for obvious reasons)? Or do they go with an old school character like Kenan & Kel? I can't really say I see any of them if I'm honest. The older characters likely won't mean anything to a young audience, and I can't imagine the likes of ICarly are that appealing to the older non American devs of this game. Plus there are still quite a few cartoons left still to choose from. There's also the tricky business of actor license, which is especially difficult when you're dealing with characters who where mostly played by child stars. The half away exception I could maybe see is puppet / costume characters like Cousin Skeeter or the Amanda Show's Dancing Lobsters, but I still don't think it's very likely.

Want - 10%
I have no attachment to these shows. Drake and Josh (and Ned's Declassified) is the only one I have any real attachment to, but the later is unlikely and the former is definitely not happening. The older shows are before my time and as a kid I always felt most of the LA shows where kind of lame. I'm not opposed to having live action characters and cartoons in the same game, it doesn't bother me in Multiversus, for the most part looking at you, Lebron, since those are mostly fantasy characters, but I can't say I find much apeeal in these live action sitcom characters when they could add Rocko, Jimmy, Timmy, or pretty much any animated character we've discussed in this thread. But if they manage to find a creative and fun moveset for one of these characters then cool! All the power to them.

Noms to Movie Sonic and Concept: Star Trek Representation

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Not-So-Secret World of Why Alex Got Sacked
Chance: 20%.
Initially, live-action characters had some decent demand. After all, this game wasn't called Nicktoon All-Star Brawl, the devs had initially only deconfirmed Alex Mack, and when the silhouetted box art leaked, there was a "Leg Girl" that many assumed would be Live-Action Dora.

But everything changed when the April O'Nation attacked. Not only were those who assumed "Leg Girl" would be a live-action character wrong, but the devs confirmed that no one from a live-action show was going to make it into the base game, not just Alex Mack.

However, we are in DLC now, where fighting game devs are more comfortable with spending extra on licensing characters. On top of that, Nick has to be giving Ludosity some decent funding post-release if voice actors are going to be a thing, as this game's cast has some pretty high-profile VAs. However, since demand for live-action characters has died down, they will have to depend on their popularity outside the context of NASB, and/or Ludosity thinking certain LA characters would be neat fighters, like Alex Mack.

Want: 35%.
Live-Action shows are just as if not even more important to Nick than Nicktoons. But for me it really depends on which character they go for, my preferred choices would be Ed from Good Burger, Josh from Drake and Josh (Hey, Josh Peck isn't the bad one!), or maybe even Alex Mack just to see what Ludosity would've done with her.

Predictions: Meltman: 10%

Noms: Henry & June X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Damn I missed Luan's day. Oh well

Live action characters

Chance:
This one's interesting because we have contradictory statements on it. On one hand the devs said they wanted to include Alex Mack, but later they said live action characters were never in contention. It's possible that they meant that budget-wise, it was never going to happen, regardless of intentions. Said budget woes didn't get better, and people thinking these characters aren't possible has definitely stifled demand. But if Nick really wants this game to be big, they might shell out the cash for just one live action rep to really grab headlines. As for who it would be, I think the most likely characters are Carly Shay (who headlines a very successful reboot on Paramount+) and Alex Mack (just because we know she's got why they're looking for). Other possible candidates I can think of are Josh, Kenan, Henry Danger, live action Dora and Steve from Blue's Clues (who would double as Nick Jr reps).

Want: 100%
This is just for a Drake & Josh or iCarly rep. Let's be honest here: when you're a kid, you want to feel more "grown-up" by watching live-action shows. Especially in the case of Nick, I was only able to appreciate many of their animated shows with age, so most of my nostalgia for Nick is for their live action stuff. Drake & Josh is the greatest sitcom ever made and I'll fight anyone who disagrees, so I'd flip my **** if one day we got Josh lobbing Gamespheres at people.

Noms: the Flesh
Meltman prediction: 8%

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Live Action Characters
Chance: 1%

So this is a very broad subject. It's hard to even rank it because it covers so many different kinds of characters, but whatever rank you could give this wide and diverse group, it'd still always be low. We already know for a fact that Alex Mack was shot down. While the exact reasoning wasn't given, the outcome was the devs avoiding any live action characters.

I personally think that for the most part, live action characters are out of the question. Here are a few reasons why.

Likeness Rights:
NASB has a budget you couldn't even put in a gumball machine. Unless it's a character who wears a full body suit or isn't human at all, you gotta pay the original actor to be allowed to use their image in the game. Some of these actors are very famous now, so the budget to get the likes of Kenan Thompson or Ariana Grande has got to be astronomical.
Now it's possible they could stylize the character enough to look more generic, thus absolving them of needing to do this, but you'd really need to pick a character who looks unique enough for it to work. While characters with memorable ensembles like Artie the Strongest Man in the World, Ed from Good Burger or any other characters from the skit based or anthology shows with colorful characters in them could fit the bill, "normal person wearing normal clothes" from the various sitcoms probably isn't as lucky.

Controversy:
The thing about using characters played by real actors, especially ones from the sitcoms who only wear normal clothes and don't dress up or change their appearances in any substantial way, and MOST especially ones from the shows where the main characters keep the first or full names of their actors, is that they're played by human beings. Human beings make mistakes, human beings do ****ty things, human beings get into a lot of trouble, human beings distance themselves from past roles. Peoples is peoples, and using a character that's very linked to their actor could potentially come off as an endorsement of that person and their behavior, especially if they want this to be a game that's played on the competitive stage.
I've seen someone nominate Drake and Josh, and given the type of person Drake Bell wound up being, I can absolutely guarantee Nick isn't going to let a character who looks and acts exactly like Drake Bell who is literally named Drake into this game.
Then there are characters like Sam from iCarly. Jenette McCurdy has retired from acting due to how bad an experience the Nick shows were for her. That rules out her and anyone else who may feel the same way. A particularly egregious example would be Amanda Bynes. She did... not turn out well.
I could see them wanting to avoid putting in anyone with an otherwise clean record just in case to avoid future awkwardness. That might be a bit extreme, but if they put the dude from Henry Danger and the actor from that decides to go on a coke-binge with a bunch of 14 year old girls, then whoops, his likeness is currently in this major Nick game that's being showcased at a big game tournament.

Not Wanting to Show These Caricatures of Real People Getting Their Asses Beat:
Pretty self explanatory. Might not be a good look.
Shout out to Multiversus, which seemed to miss the memo on this one and the last one by having real life actual person LeBron James on the roster. Good luck with that, guys.

Obscurity:
The list of actually eligible live action characters is really small. Hell, even disregarding the other reasons, actually battle-ready action oriented Nick characters, live action or animated, are few and far between. Some of these characters may be seen as too deep a cut to be worth the effort, even for a game with Powdered Toast Man in it.

Any number of factors including or besides these could have led to Alex Mack being excluded. It may have not been any of these, it could have been all of 'em. Who's to say? We were never really given a real answer to that question and we probably won't for a while.
While I feel like characters who are far enough removed from their actors could maybe work, that number is very small. We'd need like... Pick Boy or the Dancing Lobsters or something, and those are probably just too bizarre or obscure.

It's exceedingly difficult to know which characters would be safe and which wouldn't. I'd probably rule out the following and any combinations therein
  • Any sitcom characters.
  • Any character where the actor is more or less playing themselves.
  • Anyone played by an actor that Nick would not feel comfortable endorsing
  • Anyone who is too recent to know if they'll do anything crazy.
  • Anyone who is currently famous outside of Nick
  • Anyone from a show that's too obscure or a show that Nick isn't interested in promoting

Which rules out a hell of a lot of them. Characters from skit based shows, or ones who don't bear too much resemblance to an actor may be fine, but that's not a sure bet in the slightest.

This is why I said I feel like Stick Stickly is likely to be the closest we'll get to a live action character, since he's by and large a cartoon character as it is, being a puppet.
When a talking popsicle stick feels more plausible than the grand majority of these characters, that doesn't really bode well.

For the most part, I'm fine with sticking to only cartoons.
I don't know why, but I'm just adverse to the idea of populating this game with a bunch of sitcom characters. I'm not a fan of those shows to begin with and how they've overrun the channel, but there's also the matter than they would bring huge amount of baggage to the game, and they would feel like boring inclusions so it wouldn't even be worth it.

The one live action character played by a human actor I'd really campaign on the streets for is Ed from Good Burger. Like I genuinely really do want him in and think he'd be really funny and memorable as a character. But since Alex Mack got denied entry, I don't think Ed has all that great a shot either.

Noms
3x Movie Sonic
2x Norbert

Predictions
Albert: 0%
Meltman: 10%

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Live action toons

Chance: 10%

Since there are some unanswered questions regarding what happened with Alex Mack, it's hard to pinpoint how possible live action characters actually are for this game. So let's stick with what we know, and I'll do that by listing some notable live action shows:
  • iCarly - Probably the most likely live action show to get a rep. Pretty popular with some spinoffs and even has a recent reboot on Paramount+. I can see some of the cast members being down with being featured in a crossover Nick game.
  • Drake and Josh - Nah fam. We know that Nick wouldn't want Drake in the game, not after what he did. "Well what about Josh?" Perhaps, but I think Nick would be hesitant because of association with Drake. After all the show is called "Drake and Josh" so even if they included only Josh, there is still that heavy connection to the piece of **** known as Drake Bell so Nick may see it as too risky.
  • Victorious - Another show that was decently popular, to the point where it had a spinoff show, Sam and Cat, plus a crossover with iCarly. Victoria Justice is also still active in the industry so she might give the thumbs up. They could also go with Ariana Grande though it's probably too expensive to get her likeness with how mainstream popular she's gotten over the years.
  • Zoey 101 - It was pretty popular back then but there's some major hurdles for it. For one, Jamie Lynn Spears is no longer acting. Second, there were some controversies surrounding the show with some bullying accusations and the fact that Jamie got pregnant at 16 which sparked some conversations about teen pregnancy.
  • Fred - dead meme
That's most of the shows that I'm knowledgeable about. There's a few others but these are some of the biggest live action shows. Overall, I think the best shot for this concept is either an iCarly rep or maybe Victoria Justice. That's not a lot to choose from and I don't think even Carly has a lot of requests. Not to mention the thing with getting the rights to actor's' likeness which depending on the person could be painful and expensive to retrieve.

One thing that I want to bring up is that some people say that the actors wouldn't want to be seen getting beaten up. My response is, is that really a bad look? I mean it's just a silly platform fighter, this is not Mortal Kombat or anything where they are killing people or getting murdered in gruesome ways. NASB is light-hearted so I don't see why the actors would have a problem with being featured in an E10+ fighting game.

Want: 60%

I'm not actively excited or pushing for any live action characters, but I'll admit I got a bit nostalgic doing this writeup. I watched a lot of iCarly and some Victorious and Sam & Cat when I was younger. They weren't my favorite shows or anything, but they certainly had a charm to them so I would be happy if someone like Miranda Cosgrove or Jerry Trainor appeared in NASB.

Noms: Josh and Parker x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
to the uncanny valley!

chances: err 10% i think? i don't know what sort of budget they're working with and if there'd be any for paying for people's likenesses. even without that we don't currently have any reason to think they would. that's not to say that they won't but my gut feeling is probably not. so far theyve shown a preference for the cartoons and the characters considered most likely are more cartoons. and from the 90s as well, maybe the 90s shows would have an edge?

want: 100% if it's sabrina the teenage witch or one of her aunts or salem. i could probably get on board with keenan and kel. those are the only live action show i know. still theyd make for some fun movesets and nice enough stages. plus the first 4 i listed are hilarious so it'd be a good laugh to have them.

noms to sabrina

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
A live action character

Chance - 0.25% - After Alex Mack was down, I struggle to think of any suitable characters for Live Action. The only ones might be Henry Danger, who has a animated adaptation anyway, and Patchy the Pirate. Maybe the Dancing Lobsters as a stretch, but I don't think they have enough to work with. Maybe if they get creative, they might use an "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" monster, but that's even less likely.

If I can make an aside for a moment, I had done some research and discovered that Nick actually once held the rights to the Power Rangers show, which would 100% make this higher... but they chose not to renew the contract at the end of 2021. If only this game came out sooner...

Want - 30% - While their might be some exceptions, overall I don't think they fit in. There are a few exceptions, but overall a live-action sitcom doesn't do it for me.

Predictions

Albert - 0% - ...why?

Meltman - 1.25% - I guess he can replace Alex Mack?

Nominations

Olmec's Temple X5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Live Action Characters

Chance: 1% -
Lime hit the nail on the head with this, and I have to agree with most of the reasoning. Live action characters have a lot of issues within this game's scope. There's loads of extra costs getting the likeness of real-life actors, some might not be desirable for Nick to endorse, a lot of them don't have good material for movesets, and most of them wouldn't be profitable choices for DLC. Hell, the actors themselves might not want to see themselves being depicted beating others up or getting beaten up themselves. There's Alex Mack, but Nick explicitly vetoed her, and she was never a huge pick for the devs anyway. Really, there's only a few franchises I see having a shot at the roster.

Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide: Not one I see discussed often, but a popular and well-loved show in its' time, and had a lot of wacky antics that could easily fill out a moveset. Hell, it's even described as a "Live Action Cartoon"! It's 2000's, so it would appeal to NASB's core audience, and as far as I know the show doesn't have any baggage, so I think it's viable!

Drake and Josh: Yep, I'm actually gonna go there! Despite the Drake Bell and Dan Schneider Double-Baggage, it's by far been the most requested live action show that I've seen for the roster, and remains relevant to this day through memes. And you KNOW the devs love their memes! Plus I've seen some people suggest re-casting Drake to a look-alike as a solution, which could come with the added benefit of being able to get a cheaper actor. They could also easily go solo Josh, since he himself isn't involved in any controversy and he's by far the goofier of the two anyway, so he'd be a very fun and very safe solution, too!

iCarly: Not as much as Drake and Josh, but it does have a fanbase and is getting a reboot on Paramount+, so the recency and potential corporate pushing could easily work in the show's favor!

Henry Danger: Represents the 2010's for those who want more from that era, and remains an active IP for Nick in the current day. Henry Danger is a very goofy superhero sitcom, so moveset potential is everywhere, and the Adventures of Kid Danger makes the title character a sort of Nicktoon rep as well, so he doesn't feel too out of place. I've seen him advertised plenty alongside other Nicktoons! Plus I HAVE seen a few fans of the show express their support for him, so I wouldn't underestimate him.

Kenan and Kel: Big live action faces in the 90's, which means they fell squarely within the developers' bias (though, somewhat lightened as a lot of the live action shows didn't air in Sweden, and Kenan would be a lot more expensive now). The two have loads of material to pull from, from their title show to their roles on All That and Goodburger, so movesets would be easy to come up with as well.

Non-human Live Action Characters (Puppets, suits, etc.): The 90's had no shortage of these. The Amanda Show's Dancing Lobsters were common yet lovable gag characters that were very memorable and iconic to the show! Alongside that, there's Cousin Skeeter, who's a puppet, so his design would translate very nicely to a 3D model! If we wanna go more deep cut, there's also Garbaggio from UPick Live, who was memorable for 2000's kids and was a masked wrestler, so actor likeness isn't as big of an issue here.

Overall, there are some very good contenders if a Live Action character were to be considered, but the complications and extra costs that come with bringing in a real person might not be seen as worth it, especially the game's budget is already as tight as it is (though likely looser than base game). With the massive demand for more lynchpin Nicktoons I do not see a Live Action character being prioritized anytime soon, especially when none of them have explosive levels of fan demand to make up for it.

Want: 10% - Don't get me wrong, while I very much preferred the Nicktoons I do have plenty of experience with the live action shows, too! I LOVED Ned's Declassified, and I thought Drake and Josh was fantastic, too! (despite how much I despised Karma Houdini Megan (so much in fact that it pushed me away from ever watching iCarly)). So I do think there's a place for one, especially if they can make them feel as goofy and belonging as the Nicktoons. But right now I want the game to focus on Nicktoons. Jojo Siwa felt out of place as **** in Kart Racers 2, and we don't need a repeat of that. I would gladly pay for someone like Ned or Josh, but I don't ever plan to shell out the cash for Carly, or Zoey, or an Unfabulous or Victorious character, etc,. It's just not in the cards right now.

Nominations:
Mr. X x10

Predictions:
Albert - 0.36%
Meltman - 8.45%

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
that was nickelodeon?
From what I can tell, the original series was produced by a Canadian Company that Nick owned the distribution rights to, at least in the US. As of it's first revival in 1999, Nick produces the series, including the current, second iteration of the show.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
From what I can tell, the original series was produced by a Canadian Company that Nick owned the distribution rights to, at least in the US. As of it's first revival in 1999, Nick produces the series, including the current, second iteration of the show.
you learn something new every day

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Chance of this meme becoming real: 0%

Yeah, I'm gonna go there. I really just don't think a live-action character is on the cards for this game. Sure, it may not be Nicktoons All-Star Brawl, but frankly the idea of a live-action character getting in this game has so many factors going against it it's kind of depressing. Most of Nick's LA catalogue is after the devs' time anyway (namely the more iconic stuff like Drake & Josh and iCarly), and even if they did want to add a character from one of these shows (as was the case with Alex Mack), there's a whole laundry list of reasons why it probably won't happen. Licensing out a real person's likeness is expensive, and risky to boot for reasons laid out by LimeTH LimeTH , which if they couldn't afford to do that in the base game they certainly can't do it now. At that point, that rules out pretty much anyone other than non-human characters like Stick Stickly (if we're even counting him), who for the most part are way too obscure to be up for consideration even as joke picks. And that's ignoring any existing controversy surrounding individual figures like Drake Bell and (shudder) Dan Schneider. In order for a live-action character to even happen for this game, the devs would not only have to want to take that risk in the first place, but Nick would have to not veto it like what happened to Alex Mack and they'd need to have the budget to spare for a [probably] more expensive pick that, let's be real, most people aren't clamoring for anyways. Unless this game gets like, 20 DLC characters, I don't see even a chance of that happening.

Want: 20%

This is entirely for the reason that Patchy the Pirate falls into this category and that guy is awesome. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about any live-action Nick show and honestly don't want any of them near this game. The only Nick sitcom I watched a lot of as a kid was iCarly, which even then is one of those shows I look back on like "wow, why did I like this?" I'll admit, I should've watched more Drake & Josh, but frankly the whole Drake Bell debacle kind of steers me away from the prospect of that show getting a character. Other than that... I mean, I guess Grape Nose Boy would be kinda funny.

But yeah, let's stick to cartoon characters for now.

Albert Prediction: 0.1%
At this point, I'm just hoping to thread the needle between the other sub-1% predictions so far.

Meltman Prediction: 6.12%
I actually barely know this character, I just nominated him because I thought it'd be funny.

The end of an era...
It was a fun ride while it lasted.

Noms to Sheen

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Real people
Chance: 1%
Someone at Ludosity has said they wanted Alex Mack in the game, so we know they aren't completely the idea of live-action characters. Nick Kart Racers 2 had Jojo Siwa in it, so we know it isn't completely impossible. But is it likely? Not really. Mainly there's the fact that the devs straight up said that there aren't any live-action characters currently planned. There's also there fact that most of the highly highly demanded characters are from cartoons, so it would make more sense to prioritize those. There's also all the potential legal issuses involved with getting a real person's likeness in the game. In short, live-action characters could happen, but not any time soon.
There's definitely a handful of live-action characters I wouldn't mind seeing in the game. However, the majority of my most-wanteds are cartoon characters and I'd rather they prioritize those.

Albert prediction: 0.15%
Meltman prediction: 15%
Noms: Miko x10

DAY OVER
Rate Albert (A Small Tree With A Big Dream) and Meltman (from Action League Now!), predict The Flesh (also from Action League Now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom