• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Donut Boy! (Got a creamy filling...)

Chance: 50%.
Initially, Hugh for NASB was a huge meme. So huge, in fact, that his voice actor Mark DeCarlo was very involved with it. However, as time went on and we were getting closer to knowing that his own son, the titular character of the franchise, who himself has obvious moveset potential with his gadgets, wasn't getting into the base game, the overton window shifted towards the game needing Jimmy. So, why would the chance be that high?
  • If DLC is preplanned, this means they can't replace Hugh with whoever they feel like if they already planned to make him DLC once the demand happened.
  • This first season of DLC needs to be more focused on attracting more attention to the game than SSBU's which was probably destined to achieve its 27 million sales anyway just by being the Switch installment of a multimillion-selling Nintendo franchise. If Ludosity thinks the Big Four+Hugh is what would help the game's player count lie more consistently within triple digits or even move up to quadruple (or if we're really lucky quintuple) digits, so be it.
  • He's a meme character, and Ludosity is a bunch of memelords.
Want: 50%.
He may be the most likely second JN rep unless that datamined Cindy announcer call means anything, but I think the franchise has cooler choices for secondary reps. Like what if Ludosity gets inspired by some James Bond moveset concept to make Jet Fusion?

Noms: Snap X5.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Aw man I missed Sokka's day. My notifications got messed up. Granted I didn't have a lot to say about him but oh well.

Our next day will be a double day featuring Dudley Puppy and Kitty Katswell from T.U.F.F. Puppy, predict their chance scores if you want.​
Wow. Me and GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 were in sync without even realizing it. That's sick. Anyway onto the funny dad.

Chance: 30%

This really depends on how long the DLC cycle will be. We know that Jimmy will most certainly come first, but there's also the other major candidates like Rocko and Timmy to keep in mind. We also know that memes are a part of the selection process and while Hugh was a huge meme pick during the game's announcement, that has died down significantly. Whether or not that hurts him, we'll have to wait and see. Especially since most of the demand has moved onto Jimmy so we'll have to wait until Jimmy gets in to see how much demand returns to Hugh, or maybe it might even transfer onto another character like Carl. Overall, if the game lasts long enough I can certainly see the funni dad make it in, but if not then his chances drop just like a sack of potatoes.

Want: 95%

Deducted 5 points simply because Jimmy should get in first. But otherwise, yes! Bring in more of the memes! I'm so ready for him and Timmy's dad to join the roster, we need the silly fathers together in a game kicking butt. That'd be hilarious.

Predictions:
Dudley - 16%
Katswell - 3%

Noms: The Box Ghost x10

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Hugh

Chance: 4%

The only reason I'm entertaining this is because it's become such a meme that the devs have to have seen it, but other than that, if you think he has a legitimate chance, you're kidding yourself. Just because something is a meme doesn't mean that people will jump on it; nor does the fact NASB has a few odd choices mean characters like Hugh even have a chance. The "weird" picks extend to Oblina, who is one of three protagonists of equal value, and the last season is all about her character arc, Helga, who was chosen because Arnold isn't a fighter and anything he could have (sports) could be given to her as well, and Nigel, who was chosen likely because it was easier to make one model and give it animal-themed poses than create a bunch of different models for every animal Eliza would have to summon. Yes, not every "obvious" pick will be in, and there's room for some oddballs, but the fact of the matter remains: You can't just look at the surface level of the choices made.

Want: 0%

Ya'll have ruined the meme. It's overplayed and not funny anymore. Hugh's a funny character within context of Jimmy Neutron, but loses all charm out of context, and until we have voice acting for every character ingame, I would rather not have him, especially since Jimbo himself isn't even there yet. And even after Jimmy, there's so many better options than Hugh, a side character. Carl, Sheen, Calamitous, King Goobot, and Jet Fusion all come to mind as more fun or memorable options for a second Jimmy, not to mention Cindy, who also has her name in the announcer code and is the deuteragonist in the series.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Welp, no better time to start trying this out. Let's talk about Hugh.

Chance: 45%
I'm trying to be generous here, but seeing Jimmy himself hasn't made it yet, Hugh's chances aren't looking great. Even with how the devs have consistently chosen memorable side characters and deuteragonists over the too obvious main character choices (I genuinely wouldn't have been surprised if we got Heffer instead of Rocko if RML had gotten a base game character) Jimmy just stands out more as a character with a lot of moveset potential. What's helping Hugh out considerably is his "meme pick" status, and Hugh was legitimately talked about more than any character who actually made it into the game. It was a huge meme. Hugh trended for like a week straight. The Ludosity devs, Nick themselves, and even Hugh's voice actor all acknowledged this. That's nothing to sneeze at. I'm not giving him a rounded 50% though because, again, no Jimmy, no assurance DLC will last beyond one season and needing to pioritize more money making picks, and there just being a lot of other potential JN characters to choose from that would lend themselves better than Hugh would. Plus Garfield has already sniped one of his potential moves in his pie throwing.

Want: 35%
I was never a big JN fan. Like at all. I feel like I'd prefer Hugh over a lot of other JN characters simply because I straight up don't even like a good chunk of them. Hugh is perhaps the most memorable to me, so I'd be the most okay with him as a secondary JN character. But if it came down to it, I'd only really want the one, Jimmy, purely because it'd just feel right to have him rather than any actual attachment to him, and give that second slot to another unrepresented show.

Dudley prediction: 20%
Kitty prediction: 35%

Remember what I said about how the devs have consistently chosen memorable side characters and deuteragonists over the too obvious main character choices? Especially if said characters are more popular or would offer more variety than the protagonists? That's why I'm giving Kitty Katswell a slight edge. She's the most remembered and popular character from TUFF Puppy, so between the two, she'd be the better choice in my eyes.

5x noms to Daggett Beaver.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain. all i remember is something about oven toast, something about him pretending to be a chicken. didnt even know his name was hugh until a couple days ago and for some reason i thought we were talking about timmy turners dad at the time. noms to iroh

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hugh

Chance: 50%
Hugh Neutron is a huge meme and got a lot of support because of it. Given were dealing with the devs that gave us PTM and Nigel they'll likely respond positively to the memery. In a vacuum I'd call him one of the likeliest characters out there, a new lock. However his son, the main star of his show with incredible moveset potential and high demand, didn't make base game. Since a lot of his support predicated on the assumption that Jimmy would already be in, we're in a curious situation: would people still like Hugh if Jimmy isn't in? Would Hugh appeal more to the devs' tastes? Was Hugh decided before anyone knew Jimmy would be in, and now it's too late to pivot?

Want: 0%
This is only because Jimmy isn't in yet. Once he is, he'll go up by a bit. Mostly because other people want him, I don't personally have much attachment to him as JN is full of memes that don't involve him so I don't get the fixation on him tbh

Noms: now that the fated TUFF Puppy double day was accidentally accomplished I think I ran out of most wanted characters? Therefore I'ma just nominate characters that would make for interesting discussion. Starting with...

Doug x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Noms: now that the fated TUFF Puppy double day was accidentally accomplished I think I ran out of most wanted characters? Therefore I'ma just nominate characters that would make for interesting discussion. Starting with...

Doug x5
is there only one doug in all of nickelodean?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Doug started as a Nick show, then Disney inexplicably bought it from Nickelodeon and made their own Doug show.

I'll never get how that transaction even happened. Of all things to snipe from Nick, Doug?
I believe Nick specifically chose Doug because they were making a block - One Saturday Morning - especially for slice of life cartoons. I'm pretty sure Doug's First Movie was named that way to tie in to 1SM too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Of all things to snipe from Nick, Doug?
To be fair, they also swiped Paul Germain, and doing so is part of why the post-movie seasons of Rugrats jumped the shark, not just the addition of Dil.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I believe Nick specifically chose Doug because they were making a block - One Saturday Morning - especially for slice of life cartoons. I'm pretty sure Doug's First Movie was named that way to tie in to 1SM too.
I'm old enough to remember watching 1SM as a kid. I guess they wanted a familiar character to sell it to kids with. I remember finding Doug switching channels confusing, but hey, more Doug!

To be fair, they also swiped Paul Germain, and doing so is part of why the post-movie seasons of Rugrats jumped the shark, not just the addition of Dil.
Ah. That would explain why that fell so hard then. Rugrats really lost its grit after Dil showed up.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Hugh Neutron

Chance - 7.5%

Jimbo's dad is a major meme, and he really took off during the hype days of pre-release. However, Hugh would be coming in before Jimmy as of now, one of the most popular and requested characters for the slot. While I know that the devs have been known to rely on memes and pick characters with more potential than the main character, in this case Jimmy's not exactly lacking, and Jimmy's popularity is I think a bit too big to ignore. While he might get in afterwards, I cannot imagine a world where he get in before his son.

Want - 40%

Hugh would be an okay choice in my book. However, Jimmy's my most wanted, and I can't let Hugh get in beforehand.

Predictions

Dudly - 13.34% - I have no idea.

Kitty - 15.34% - She seems more popular...

Nominations

Skulker x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Donut Boy
Chance: 65%
Back when the game was first announced, Hugh was easily one of the most requested characters. His popularity fell down a bit when people realized that Jimmy isn't even in the game, but Hugh is still pretty high up there. Obviously, we'll get Jimmy as DLC first, but there's nothing stopping Hugh from becoming DLC later down the line.

Want: 90%
I like the silly ones. Nigel is one of my favorite characters to play as and I'd really like to see what they do with one of the other Wacky Dads. Obviously, we should get Jimmy first, though.

Dudley prediction: 15%
Kitty prediction: 20%
Noms: Luan Loud x5
DAY OVER
CALCULATING RESULTS

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Hugh Neutron
Chance: 38.14%
Want: 50.80%
Winner of predictions is DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire , who predicted 39.21%. You get 10 extra noms.

Today we're rating Dudley Puppy and Kitty Katswell, both from T.U.F.F. Puppy.
Our next day will be a triple day featuring Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton, all from the SpongeBob series, predict their chance scores if you want.

D

Deleted member

Dudley
Chance- 15%
Don't know how to feel about this one. It's another Butch Heartman show and we've still yet to get any representation from the most popular of those. Plus from what I understand this show wasn't exactly treated very well by the network, it ran for three seasons, which is pretty good for a nicktoon of that era, but they where pretty spread out it seems. I don't really hear anyone talk about it anymore in the same way I do other shows. But if we get a lot of DLC then maybe they deleve into this one, but I don't see it as super likely right now.

Want - 20%

I feel like I watched an episode or two of this show whrn I was younger but I couldn't tell you anything about it other than the basic concept. I have nothing against Dudley or the show. It's just not a character I'm crying out for. But more new show representation is allways good in my book and they could probably make a fun moveset with spy stuff, so I didn't give him too low a rating.

Kitty
Chance - 17%
She gets a bit of a boost due to the fact that she's seemingly more popular. In the rare instances I do hear about this show its usually got something to do with her. The devs have shown they're not above adding side characters over the protagnists if they find them more interesting or if they think they have more movset potential. From the few clips i have seen it seems like she might fit into a fighting game a bit better.

Want - 25%
Still not a character I'm crying out for but I wouldn't mind at all if she got in.

3 noms to Crimson Chin, other two on Concept: Star Trek Representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeesh, nothing but abstains today, huh? Fine, I'll at least try and contribute something:

Jerry Trainor Dog
Chance: 15%

There's not much to say here IMO. TUFF Puppy was never super popular, meeting the same fate as many other Nickelodeon shows of its time and getting shoved off to the Nicktoons gulag midway through its run. (It did go for three seasons, though, which is honestly way longer than I thought it did. Did you guys know this show ended in 2015??) Even after its cancelation, it's not a show people really talk about anymore. It's sort of in that weird grey zone where it's not exactly current, but it's also not old enough for people to remember it fondly. As it relates to NASB in specific, Dudley's not really a popular request and the community's not hurting for TUFF Puppy content at the moment. Once the devs can afford to start digging through Nick's backlog of lesser known shows, we'll probably see TUFF Puppy in there somewhere, but right now when there are clearly much higher priorities to clear, I don't really see this happening.

Want: 60%
I didn't watch much of TUFF Puppy as a kid, but from what I remember, it was pretty funny. It's honestly my preferred Hartman Nicktoon of choice, even though I watched WAY more of Fairly Oddparents. Plus, Jerry Trainor's voice is super iconic and I would love to hear him in the game. Sure, why not?

i ain't a furry but-
Kitty Katswell

Same as above, but trade main character privilege for just being the more popular character. Even then, though, basically no one in the community is saying her name, so I don't think that helps her chances so much. Still, she's about as important as Dudley even if she isn't the title character, so if they do pick a TUFF Puppy character, I can see it being either of them.

Want: 55%
See Dudley's rating, except minus the part about Jerry Trainor. Sorry, man, that guy's the best.

Well, we made it. The DAY OF SPONGENING is nearly upon us. I can't WAIT to see how this one goes.

Squidward Prediction: 78%
Squidward's one of the lucky few picks who are considered obligatory by the community, albeit not to the degree of Jenny or Rocko. That said, he does have some strong competition from within his own series and we have seen him skipped over once in favor of Sandy, so he's far from a sure thing.

Mr. Krabs Prediction: 56%
While Squidward is the next most prominent SpongeBob character not in the game yet, Mr. Krabs ain't far off, and with all the memes surrounding his potential inclusion, I can see him garnering some decently high scores.

Plankton Prediction: 37%
This game doesn't have a major focus on villains currently (what with there being only 2 if you count Zim and all), but if the devs decide they care about that all of a sudden, Sheldon would easily be one of the top contenders. Still, he's not as prominent nor as demanded as Krabs or Squidward, so I don't expect him to be the frontrunner here.

Now that I have secured the SPUNCH BOP TRIPLE DAY, I hereby dump all my nominations into Carl.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Dudley Puppy

Chance: 20%
TUFF Puppy really didn't leave much of an impact, did it? I sometimes see people talk about it, I guess?
I don't know if Nick really gives a damn about this show, even with Dudley making at least one video game appearance in the past. I honestly can't even think of what to say about him. Him being a secret agent could lead to some moveset potential, but I honestly look at Kitty and think she probably stands a better chance, which I'll get to in a moment.

Want: 10%
I didn't mind TUFF Puppy that much whenever I caught it, but I honestly found Dudley pretty annoying, so I have no real interest in seeing him. I wouldn't be opposed to it though.

Kitty Katswell

Chance: 35%
Now Kitty, surprisingly, may have a bit more going for her here. Whenever I see someone bring up this show, nine times out of ten it's about her. She's the most memorable and popular character, especially around certain circles (and not exclusively furries either.) but even when the show was running, I remember Kitty being the character everyone talked about. She has a fun design, has more emphasis on spy gadgets as opposed to Dudley being more hand to hand/slapstick based, the devs have never shied away from picking deuteragonists and supporting characters over the main character if they make for more interesting picks, and it'd add some more female representation to the game.
That said, her chances aren't TOO high, since Nick doesn't seem to care much for the show. Plus there would most likely be more priority given to FOP and Danny Phantom characters if we're talking Butch Hartman shows, or to Jenny if we're talking Frederator shows.

Want: 30%
I liked her the best whenever I saw the show, so I'd be game for her over anyone else from that show.

TRIPLESPONGEDAY Predictions

Squidward: 60%
Mr. Krabs: 50%
Plankton: 70%

I feel like the results are going to be more skewed in favor of Squidward and Plankton here, but I see so many requests for all three characters that I see them coming pretty close.

5x noms for Daggett Beaver.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I just remembered this existed:

Now onto the Doggo

T.U.F.F Puppy lasted for 3 seasons, which is pretty good considering the reputation of the network. But there's not much going for the show otherwise. It's not exactly a standout show that won awards, nor is it highly requested. It just kind of existed and doesn't get discussed much. I wouldn't even call it a cult classic like El Tigre, it's just simply a good show that doesn't have much that makes it stand out. Maybe if someone on the dev team is a fan, we could see it but I don't think it's a high priority at all.

With that said, I enjoyed T.U.F.F Puppy a lot. I don't think it's as brilliant as other shows like Fairly OddParents but dam is it enjoyable. I thought the comedy was pretty good and on-point. Dudley himself is a very wacky character who is not only entertaining (He is voiced by god dam Spencer after all) but also has used a bunch of different tech as well so he would be funny and fun to play. So yeah, I'd love for him to be in the game.

I don't have anything clever for her.

Most of my points regarding Dudley apply to her except she ain't the main character. Now when it comes to the argument that the main character should get priority, that point has been disregarded by this game already. It's true that Nigel was picked because of memes (presumably) and Helga was picked because Arnold isn't a fighter, both are logical reasons. But then you have Reptar who was picked because "dinosaurs are cool" so the devs will pick another character aside from the protagonist if there is a good reason for it. As for Kitty, she is more popular than Dudley which might be enough to prioritize her, though I'm not completely convinced since Dudley can still use a lot of the gadgets she does. And if Dudley gets in first then her chances are toast, as I don't think a show with T.U.F.F Puppy's small stature is able to get multiple reps. But to be fair that point goes both ways too.

Want: 40%

Katswell is cool, but to me it would be kind of wrong to have her and not Dudley. It's true that she is popular, but for me I like her and Dudley about the same so personally that point is moot. I just think Dudley would be more funny and overall more entertaining.

Noms: The Box Ghost x25 (Apparently I have 5 extra noms? I don't know where those came from but if it's not a mistake then sure I'll use them up)

Predictions:
Squidward - 70%
Plankton - 70%
Mr. Krabs - 60%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The TUFF Puppy duo

TUFF Puppy is a show that despite never blowing up in ratings and getting the patented Nick mistreatment still managed to make it to 3 seasons. Despite that, it's not really beloved, moreso just generally liked. Nobody really talks about it and there's been little discussion regarding its characters for this game. Nick has no incentive to include it, so it really boils down to whether any of the devs is a furry fan of the show, or whether the concept of a spy moveset sparks some inspiration. Even then, it's a Butch Hartman show, so there might be similar royalty issues as (allegedly) FOP, making it a borderline never-ever unless demand blows up.

Still, I nominated one of the characters in the line-up with the goal of discussing which of the two characters would be the series rep, so let's indulge the hypothetical. On one corner, series protagonist Dudley Puppy. He's the obvious choice for the rep, his name is in the show's title, he makes sense as a fighter (so he doesn't have the issue that, say, Arnold has). However, he is more reliant on brawn rather than gadgetry in the show which might make him less appealing from a moveset perspective. And also, to put it bluntly, many people find him annoying. If someone doesn't like TUFF Puppy, he's usually cited as the reason. Now that annoyance wouldn't translate to the game (because characters don't speak), but I still think being a disliked character for a lot of people (and therefore, potentially the devs) holds him back.

Which brings us to the other contender: Kitty Katswell. She's the deuteragonist of the show, the experienced, "too old for this crap" straight man to Dudley's chaotic good. There are a couple reasons why I think she's actually more likely. For one, she has a more traditional spy look with her slender frame (vs. Dudley's heroic bodyguard build) and catsuit (get it?), and in the show she's usually the one depicted using cool spy gadgets. She's also been more popular than Dudley and any other character in the show. Could it be because she's a lot more competent than Dudley, but her neurotic personality and the slapstick she undergoes keep her entertaining and relatable to the audience? Perhaps, but also furries. She's, uh, very appealing to that demographic.

Bottom line is, the devs have shown an interest in thinking outside the box for reps and Kitty is one of the most obvious "outside the box" ideas since April, for the reasons stated. I think she'd be the pick.

Chance: 10% for Kitty, 5% for Dudley

I really liked TUFF Puppy. I thought the concept of a spy show was really cool, the comedy worked, I liked the designs. Either character I'd be happy for but I'll be honest, I'm more of a Kitty fan. Dudley's fun but I have a feeling that he wouldn't be as interesting moveset-wise and without Jerry Trainor voicing him he loses a lot of his charm. And I always liked Kitty better for all the reasons mentioned above, so while Dudley's a character I'd like to see Kitty makes my top 3 most wanted.

Want: 100% for Kitty, 75% for Dudley

Noms: Doug

Last edited:

Tekken_Guy

Smash Apprentice
Dudley & Kitty

-TUFF Puppy is definitely one of Nick’s less well-know shows, and I can’t see content from it getting in compared to much more iconic franchises missing, like Rocko’s Modern Life, Jimmy Neutron, and the Fairly OddParents. And obviously I can’t see either this or Bunsen is a Beast getting in before Butch Hartman’s most iconic show. Anyway, Dudley is the main character so I’d give him a slight advantage over Kitty.
Want: 5%
-I have never seen TUFF Puppy in my life and have no strong connection to this show. I don’t want Dudley and Kitty to get in before Timmy. To be honest, a second Danny Phantom rep is probably higher up the pecking order than these two amongst Hartman characters.

Putting all my noms on the KCAs again.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Tuff Puppy Duo

Dudley Puppy

Chance: 10% -
TUFF Puppy's in an interesting spot. While it did get screwed, it was shown at least a bit of favor from Nick due to it being from Butch Hartman and getting three Seasons. That's about where it ends. While Danny Phantom also was only three seasons, it still gets praise and critical acclaim to this day, and Nick treated it way better. TUFF Puppy isn't particularly popular (outside of furries) and it didn't win any awards or receive acclaim. And this continues over in the NASB community. While TUFF Puppy characters usually poll in the mid results in mega polls, the show in general just isn't very popular among the All Star Brawl community, nobody's really asking for it. And in a game where Fan Demand is more important ever this isn't a good thing. Dudley himself is also cited as annoying and his voice acting is rather divisive, so less motivation from that end, too. It's not a cult classic, was never particularly popular, has little fan demand, and the developers don't really care about it. And do we really expect it to be prioritized over Fairly OddParents, which has LOADS of fan demand? This doesn't bode well for dear Dudley.

Kitty Katswell

Chance: 9% -
Gonna knock off a point due to not being the title character, but most of the pitfalls that affect Dudley also affect Kitty. Kitty is more popular than Dudley, that's for sure (especially thanks to certain interests), and she does focus more on gadgetry, but I really don't think the Devs have enough of a love for her to prioritize her. We got Helga because Arnold's a pacifist. We got Nigel because of...well memes, and he is a dual protagonist with Eliza much like Kitty is with Dudley (and Eliza has a datamined voice line anyway), but Nigel's also a 90's character that has the developers' favor. We got Reptar likely because Nick wouldn't want to see babies getting beaten up, and in other crossovers we usually get both Reptar AND the babies. Sure, we have April, who's an outside the box pick, but we got her ALONGSIDE two of the turtles, rather than instead of them. So I really don't think the devs would pull a Springman and favor Kitty over Dudley unless there was suddenly loads of fan demand for her. Still, most importantly, her biggest issues stem from what TUFF Puppy as a whole has to face, so she too is fighting an uphill battle. The overall bigger question is if we get a TUFF Puppy character at all, rather than Kitty vs Dudley.

Want for Both: 20% - Overall I'm neutral to TUFF Puppy, as I haven't really seen any of it. But based on what I know, I'd probably favor Dudley over Kitty, since I like goofier characters and think that the title character should be prioritized unless there's a good reason. Though at the same time I do see all of Kitty's merits and moveset potential, so it nearly evens out anyway. My main issue is that I really wouldn't be interested in seeing TUFF Puppy get in over all of these missing lynchpins, especially it's extremely significant oldest brother. Furthermore, even without that, Danny Phantom was my favorite Nicktoon, so if we were getting more Butch Hartman characters after hypothetical Timmy then I'd prefer more Danny Phantom reps in a heartbeat.

Nominations:
Lisa Loud x10
Catscratch Trio x15

Predictions:
Squidward - 74.92%
Mr. Krabs - 65.26%
Plankton - 82.56%

All three of these characters have loads of merit and demand! Though while I see Squidward getting the most positive/likely ratings, I am expecting a lot of Plankton overrates after Shredder.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Dudley Puppy
Chance: 13.33% 12.86%
Want: 45.83% 47.14%
Winner of predictions is Sid-cada Sid-cada , who predicted 13.34%. You get 100 extra noms! Don't spend 'em all in one place!
Kitty Katswell
Chance: 16.83% 15.85%
Want: 45% 46.43%
Winner of predictions is, once again, Sid-cada Sid-cada , who predicted 15.34%. You get 10 more extra noms.

Today we're rating Squidward, Mr. Krabs, and Plankton, all from the Spongebob series. Our next day will feature Skulker and Lisa Loud, predict their chance scores if you want.

Edit: Scores recalculated because we got another rating at the last minute

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Are you ready for a triple day kids?!

Aiy Aiy captain!

Chances:
Squidward - 70%
Plankton - 65%
Mr. Krabs - 60%

So this is it, talking about the top contenders from Nickelodeon's equivalent to Mario. With Spongebob only having 3 characters and TMNT proving you can have up to 4 characters (at least), it seems inevitable that there will be a fourth Spongebob rep. If I had to give the concept of a 4th Spongebob rep a score, it would easily be 95%. But the big question is: Who is the next logical person they will include? Let's analyze them.

On one corner you have Squidward, the antithesis of Spongebob himself. Considering that Squidward lives right in between Spongebob and Patrick, they are often associated as a trio. A large part of the show is the goofballs annoying Squidward to death, something that the writers seem to love to do for some reason. Anyway, the fact that he gets so much focus, combine with him seemingly being the top requested Spongebob character, gives him the edge out of the trio.

On another corner, you have Plankton. Now to make this clear: Just because Shredder made it in doesn't mean that we'll get suddenly get a bunch of villains, especially since the devs have said along the lines of them not caring about groups. I get that. But Plankton being a villain does give him the edge when it comes to moveset potential. He has operated a vast array of robots throughout both the show and the games, so it's easier to envision a moveset for him than the other two.

And finally, you have Mr. Krabs. While he doesn't have anything that really makes him stand out compared to Squidward and Plankton, he is still one of the most important characters on the show, being Spongebob's boss and all that. I'd put him third on the priority list behind the two other characters discussed.

Overall, if I had to bet on who the next Spongebob character will be, I'd put my chips on Squidward or Plankton, with me leaning slightly in favor on the former. But I do believe it could easily be any of them that is chosen; Which is why none of their scores are astronomically high. Otherwise they do feel like shoo-ins.

Want for all three: 90%

Right now I'm not exactly dying for another Spongebob rep. But after I get my most wanted (Jenny, Timmy and Jimmy) then yeah sure. I do adore the show a lot. Even if it did go downhill after season 4, still those early seasons are arguably some of the best episodes on television. It's amazing that no matter what kind of people you encounter in real life, there is a 90% chance that if you make a Spongebob reference they will get it. The show has such a strong grip on pop culture and the meme landscape. By the way, can we just call Spongebob the king of memes? I think it's a fair title.

As for who I want the next character to be, it doesn't matter. All three are hilarious in their own way and I enjoy all of them. I don't have a preference either way. The trio has plenty of memes to work with and hundreds of episodes worth of material to work with for a moveset. So far I'm happy with what they have cooked up with the current roster of Spongebob characters so I'm curious to see how well they work with Plankton, Squidward, or Mr. Krabs.

Noms: The Box Ghost xMax

Predictions:
Lisa Loud - 15%
Skulker - 55%

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Abstain on predictions

Want:
Plankton: 47%
Mr. Krabs: 82%
Squidward: 79%
Generally having a 4th SpongeBob rep: 100%

I think both Squiddy and Krabs would be really fun - especially they reused a bit of Business Casual Man DNA for Krabs, or even gave him his fish skull sword. I love the slippery fighters and I think Squidward would fit well for that, and could have some fun mechanics with his clarinet even - like blowing high and low notes or being able to perform a longer note. A 4th SpongeBob rep is seriously needed IMO, and would be a safe way to please everyone given how popular and culturally ubiquitous SpongeBob is (well, at least everyone except the "iT sHoUlD'vE jUsT bEeN aVaTaR" crowd)

Now Plankton on the other hand is a situation where I'd like him, but only if he was designed with a very specific vision - I don't want Plankton piloting a giant robot or commanding a brainwashed Chum Bucket patron, I want Plankton to have his tiny size represented well. If they can give Plankton a smaller mech; size him up a little to a little smaller than Oblina's size; or even make him a size-changing stance fighter, I'd be happy, but I really think a mecha-using Plankton would be a little unfaithful to the character - even as someone who generally doesn't mind Ganondorf situations - and that feels like what they'd go for by default and as such I'm not exactly comfortable rallying behind the little megalomaniac.

Noms: Sitcom stage x 2, KCAs stage x 3

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Abusing the grace period, go!

Dudley Puppy and Kitty Katswell

Chance (Both) - 10%

TUFF Puppy was an okay show that did well for it's time but has not managed to really stand the test of time, mostly mentioned as another show Butch Hartman managed to make. Their not the only spies in Nicktoons (The X's say hello), but they are the most popular and recent ones. Overall, they aren't the most likely, but if they want to do a spy, Tuff Puppy seems like the safest bet.

The question of who to pick seems hard to me. Dudley is the main character, but Kitty is the more popular of the two. To me, it's a tossup.

Want (Both) - 55%

Eh, I don't care too much. I believe I saw some of it, but it was okay, not groundbreaking. Still, a spy has some decent potential, so I'm okay with them coming in.

Skipping Predictions because. I got too many extra nominations.

Nominations

Harvey Beaks X5

I'll save the rest for when I have more time to think!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
oh joy characters i can rate

chances for all 3: 90% as ive said before it would not surprise me if we up with more spongebob characters than anything else. many in this thread have pointed out that nickelodean themselves are obsessed with the little blighter and if they had their way theyd all probably already be in the game. but what about our game devs? hard to say but at the moment i dont see them rejecting the idea unless they are again over representation. but spongebob remains nick's golden child so from where im sitting its more a matter of when than if.

want for all 3: 0% i am sick tae death of spongebob. his stupid face being on the cover of the game was rather off putting. sure i watched some of it when i was younger, who didnt, but i think whats really telling is that unlike a number of things i watched when i was younger ive no desire to watch it ever again. from my perspective spongebob is overrated rubbish that i wisj would go away and frankly 3 characters is more than enough for this game. so please no more.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Hmm, let's toss our two cents into the ring.

Squidward
Chance: 90%.
I think Squidward is the most likely of the trio to make it in. Whilst all three are icons of the series, I think I speak for most people seeing Squidward as part of a "trio" with Spongebob and Patrick. Not only that, but in recent years, his general reception has been incredibly positive both generally and in meme culture (which is something the NASB devs are interested in, if you look at certain moves.) Bear in mind, Squidward does have some potential for a good moveset too. I personally imagine that he'd use his clarinet as a projectile, playing musical notes that move forward, for instance - but then there's tons of other stuff you could see there, like SR-127's "FUTURE" as a strong attack. He seems like probably the most notable omission from the Spongebob cast to me, but he's at a 90% because I don't think he'd be a lock-in pick. There's other Nick characters that'd be more important to see, but I can understand Viacom pushing him.

Mr. Krabs
Chance: 85%.
Mr. Krabs is in an interesting situation where he'd be a brilliant and obvious pick... but probably not as much as Squidward. The thing is, Mr. Krabs is more of a popular secondary character than Squidward, who appears in most if not almost all episodes. He'd still be up there, but I'd be surprised to see the money-grabbing bossman get in before Squidward. Even so, he does have moveset potential - I imagine he'd be really fast on the ground due to his, shall we say "unique" walk, plus he'd have a good grab game given that he, well, has pincers.

Plankton
Chance: 75%.
Plankton might seem low, but there's a couple of reasons. The first is, well, Squidward and Mr. Krabs are objectively more of "main characters" than the diminutive villain. Whilst Plankton does have a constant presence in the series, I feel he'd make sense after at least Squidward (plus, him without Mr. Krabs feels... kind of incomplete.) There's also another factor at play here - Zim. For a 22 character roster, I don't really feel that it needs too many directly overlapping archetypes such as "very small villainous character who uses technology to aid them in their pursuit of victory," and yet we already have that in Zim. That isn't to say they can't differ at all - I think that there's a lot of unique ways you could handle the moveset, such as including Karen somehow, but it's a sort of second point that hurts him a little.

Overall
Want: 60%.
I feel like "just another Spongebob character" would be kinda disappointing. The thing is, these characters feel like they'd have worked best as base-roster picks - Squidward especially, who I'd personally be most in support of, feels like a semi-essential pick to the point where I'd be unsurprised that they introduce him as DLC, but I'd still be like "Oh cool, Squidward." Plankton and Mr. Krabs would be cool too, but when you consider the library at play with Nickelodeon, just adding more Spongebob characters feels like a wasted opportunity - especially when you consider a couple of glaring absences such as Timmy Turner , and some other fan favourite picks like Jenny Wakeman and Jimmy Neutron. I'd be on the fence... but I guess I wouldn't be opposed to them being in.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
SpongeBob day

SpongeBob is Nick's biggest show ever. It gets all the favoritism and is such a cash cow they kept it going way past its expiration date, and against the creator's wishes are now bombarding us with unneeded, cash-grab spin-offs. So, uh, it'll probably get a fourth fighter (if not more; I'd be surprised if the game ended and SpongeBob wasn't the IP with the most fighters). The question therefore is who?

Squidward seems like the most likely. He's part of a trio with SpongeBob and Patrick. He's probably the most relatable character after later seasons flanderized Bob and Patrick into annoying morons. He has a clarinet so music fighter concept on lock. Plus tentacles, that's also something unique for a fighter. I think it'll be him.

If not him it could be Plankton. He's the villain and there aren't many of those. He'd probably be an Eggman-y mech fighter, maybe Karen would assist him. It has potential and the character is liked but I don't think he stands out as much as Squidward.

Then there's Mr. Krabs. I don't see that happening. Sure his body shape and movement is distinctive and sets him apart but when I look at Krabs I don't automatically see a fighter concept like I do the other too.

Chance: 85% for Squidward, 65% for Plankton, 20% for Mr. Krabs

Want is 50% for all of them.
It's hard to get excited for the concept of a fourth SpongeBob rep. Nick kinda killed my love for the show, dug it up and killed it again. The show got so awful I can't even appreciate the earlier seasons anymore. The favoritism and unrealistic expectations that it burdened every other Nicktoon also made me resent it quite a bit. And having another fighter by itself... it's so obvious and unsurprising I can't see myself having a reaction other than a shrug. This is a game that sorely needs exciting stuff, fan favorites and unexpected characters, not more easy and inoffensive corporate darlings.

But they do get 50% because yeah, they're all characters that should be there. And ****, I like them. SpongeBob and Patrick suck so right now the only cool SB character in the game is Sandy, I could go for another. But I would prefer some really wild picks, think DoodleBob or Karen or David Hasselhoff.

Noms: Doug

D

Deleted member

Chance
Squidward - 98
Mr Krabs - 85
Plankton - 75

If we where rating a fourth Spongebob character in general then this would be a 100%. It is absolutely happening. Going though these three picks, though, Squidward feels the most likely, he's arguably the third main characer after Spongebob and Patrick, there is the item thing that has been discussed in previous rounds, and the devs have spoken about him before. Mr. Krabs i could also see. He is iconic, has great meme value, and could have an interesting playstyle. I could see him getting in if the Devs push for him. Plankton, while still very much in the realm of possibility, feels less likely than the other two. They haven't shown much preference to go for villains, outside of TMNT, where the other two best picks where more Turtles. But if the devs decdied they wanted to add more villains, then Plankton would be a logical pick. I do wonder how they would pull him off. I kind of agree with users above that throwing him in a mech for no reason would be feel a bit too easy. I have seen people throw around the idea of having him and Karen as a pair character and that would be pretty funny.

Want
Squidward - 89
Krabs - 85
Plankton - 80

Yeah. I really like Spongebob. I imagine anyone even vaguely interested in a Nickelodeon game does to some extent too. I do wanna see some more new series first before we start dipping into Fourth reps for any series, but I would be absolutely happy with any of these guys.

Noms split between Crimson Chin and Fred the Fish (Why not.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Way Wook It's Widward

Chance: 60%.
Ultimately I think most of Squidward's demand comes from a Smash fan mentality seeing him as the more "ideal" third SpongeBob rep than Sandy, thanks to the squid being SpongeBob's neighbor and coworker, and all that entails, and how Smash seems to expand on franchise representation. However, the developers of previous Nicktoons crossovers and not just this one seem to think otherwise: Nicktoons Racing (which keep in mind was made when SpongeBob was in its infancy) had SpongeBob, Patrick, and Plankton as the Mystery Rider. Nicktoons MLB had SpongeBob, Patrick, Sandy, Larry, and the Dutchman. The second Nickelodeon Kart Racers may have added Squidward, but the first only had the same SB reps as NASB.

...okay, that was only three other Nicktoons games with at least three SpongeBob reps and none of them Squidward. But my point is, he doesn't "need" to be SpongeBob's third rep as much as the titular character needs to be its first and Patrick the second. So why 60%? Because he still has SOME demand, he's recognizable outside of Nicktoon fanatics, and Nick loves to milk the SpongeBob cash cow. If Nick forces a character into the DLC, it would very likely be an extra SpongeBob rep.

Want: 50%.
I wouldn't be offended by him, but thanks to those crossovers which have SpongeBob, Patrick, and not him, I don't see him as essential as those two. Seems more like the "rule" for SpongeBob reps isn't "SpongeBob, then Patrick, then Squidward" but "SpongeBob, then Patrick, then any combination of Sandy/Squidward/Plankton, then go crazy I guess" and I'm fine with that.

Abstain on Krabs/Plankton, I just wanted to give my thoughts on some of Squidward's demand. I apologize to anyone who wants him for reasons besides thinking he's more essential than Sandy.

Noms: Concept: Non-Nicktoon Viacom cartoons (IE: South Park, Beavis and Butt-Head) X5

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Alright.
It's time.
For the CORAL-CRUSHING, SOUL-STEALING, RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE, RAGE IN A CAGE, HELL IN A SHELL SPONGEBOB TRIPLE DAAAAAAAAAAAY

A fourth SpongeBob rep is pretty much seen as inevitable by this point. Not only would Nick never shy away from a chance to promote their flagship series, but also the series itself is just so damn popular the devs will probably wanna add a character from it regardless of Nick's own wishes. (If anything, I think we could get two if this game gets supported long enough, but that's a whole separate discussion.) Way most see it, it's a race between Squidward, Plankton, and Mr. Krabs for who's gonna get that elusive fourth SpongeSlot™. They're all popular, they're all important, and they've all got announcer lines. Who's it gonna be? Well, let's take a look.

SPONGEBOB, I AM TRYING TO GET USED TO MY F-STRONG NERF
Chance: 75%

Squidward's definitely the third most prominent SpongeBob character after the sponge himself and Patrick, forming a sort of trio with them that comprises the most iconic aspects of the show. Even when other characters like Bob and Pat have been flanderized to the point that even hardcore fans of the show don't like them much anymore, Squidward has remained a popular and relatable character who people have only come to sympathize with more over the years. So of course that means people want him in NASB. The memes about Squidward being a playable character in this game have been there since day 1 (or more like day -200, honestly), which as we've seen from numerous poll results, is indicative of actual demand. The only reason I'm not giving him a higher score is because of the competition he faces from other characters in his own series, which is what today's discussion is all about. Plus, him being the most important guy in his domain might not even matter considering we saw him skipped over once already with Sandy's inclusion. Simply put, if these guys wanna add someone other than Squidward, they'll add someone other than Squidward. Honestly, though, the conspicuous removal of the Squidward's Clarinet item from the game files is the nail in the coffin for me and indicates that he's probably planned at least on some level. It could mean nothing, but it's still something to consider.

SpongeBob's probably my favorite Nicktoon (I know, how original) even in spite of how downhill it went post-movie, and while not my favorite character from the show, Squidward's a funny guy who I think would be cool to see in the game. I imagine he could have a moveset revolving around long limbs along with using his clarinet for some of his moves - think Octodad in Fraymakers with a musical twist. Besides, you've gotta admit it'd be priceless to hear Squidward mains complain about the SpongeBob matchup. I mean, c'mon. It's GOTTA happen.

SPONGEBOB ME BOY I MISSED ME STAGE TECH AT 30% AND NOW I'M GONNA DIE ARGARGARGARGARGARG
Chance: 65%

While Squidward's definitely the speculative frontrunner in the race for a fourth SpongeBob rep, I really don't think Mr. Krabs is far behind. He's not quite a "main" character like Squidward arguably is, but in terms of SpongeBob's secondary cast, I'd say Eugene is probably the most prominent and the most memorable of them all. (Maybe there's a case to be made for Sandy, but honestly, she's more relevant in side material like games and the musical than she is in the actual show. Besides, she's in the game already anyway.) Mr. Krabs is a memorable and hilarious character, and like Squidward, he has memes going for him as well, being featured in just as many if not more NASB ****posts than Mr. Tentacles is. He wouldn't be hard to make a moveset for, either - as the man himself says, "these claws ain't just for attractin' mates!" I can very easily see them crafting a speedy pseudo-grappler moveset for him, and they could even recycle Business Casual Man's gimmick from Slap City if they wanted to reference his love for money. In short, I think people are really sleeping on this guy right now simply because... he's not Squidward.

Want: 100%
Mr. Krabs has been one of my most wanted characters since day 1. The memes are part of that, I admit, but also Krabs is genuinely one of, if not my favorite SpongeBob character. He's a joy to watch pretty much anytime he's onscreen, he's got an iconic and funny voice, and besides, you can't tell me you wouldn't wanna see that walk in this game. That dashdance would be INSANE. There's just no reason for me NOT to want him, quite frankly. Yes, please!

DI IN, KRABS
Chance: 50%

If Squidward and Mr. Krabs are in first and second place in the SpongeSlot™ race, Plankton I think is in a semi-distant third. The devs have already made it clear that they don't care about filling in "groups" with this roster, and villains especially don't seem to be a major focus for them this time. Plankton, while certainly a fun character, is pretty firmly behind Squidward and Krabs in terms of importance and popularity. He was in a bunch of the Nickelodeon Super Brawl games, but most of those had at least somewhat of a focus on "heroes vs. villains" as the main theme, which this game clearly doesn't. (Consider that Abrasive SpongeBob was in the same game as Plankton, and that game also had the Rabbids as villains.) The devs would also have to think of a way to make him work in spite of his small size, which would either mean giving him a mech or some other mount like other Nick fighting games have done or sizing him up awkwardly to make him work as a standalone fighter. Still, as the closest SpongeBob has to a real bad guy, Plankton is worth considering and I think he could potentially get in on pure "we do what we want" factor.

Want: 80%
I don't like Plankton quite as much as Squidward or Krabs, but I do think he could be fun to see. Particularly, I like the idea of him riding around on Karen, though maybe that'd take too much of the focus away from Plankton himself. Still, I do like villains, and if the devs can make it work, I wouldn't mind seeing it. (And I'd love to see the Plankton mains discover a zero-to-death and call it "The Secret Formula," just saying.) I'd just like to see either of Squidward or Krabs get in first, quite frankly.

As always, noms to Carl.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom