• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Biggie Cheese is a "meme pick", or in other words - humourous. Humour is based in surprise, get where I'm going?
That's the kind of pick that doesn't age well. If you pick 100% for shock value people are gonna turn against it quickly. Remember what happened with :ultpiranha: ? (and this is coming from someone who LIKED its inclusion)

Either way, Otis is a meme pick that has more going for him than just 100% meme power. Such as actual fan demand, top 10 fan demand. In a climate where characters are chosen based on fan demand. Which character do you pick? The meme pick or the meme pick that people are actually asking for? You can't compare this to Hugh when he himself was the face of the community. Biggie Cheese is a super funny meme, and I'd be more than down for him as a second Barnyard rep, but a character with no fan demand Hugh-ing Otis? I don't see the logic here. Nobody in this game was picked purely for shock value, not even Hugh.

El Tigre

Chance: 80% -
El Tigre is in a very good spot right now! While he was always a pretty popular pick his standing shot up after Jenny got announced! Look at the recent poll, that Top 5 placement is nothing to scoff at! He's filled in Jenny's fan demand shoes, and I can only see this going up as time goes on, especially since his show has gotten a lot more attention recently. Probably the one thing Jenny had that he doesn't was that he isn't poll-topping like Jenny was, but that's minor compared to all of the benefits he has! I think he's very likely for a second pass if we get DLC after Rocko (which I'm sure we will). And if we get a third pass? At that point he's basically a lock!

Want: 80% - While I do have other priorities right now in terms of personal fan demand, I would LOVE to see him join the roster! I didn't get to see much El Tigre as a kid, but I really liked what I DID see of it! As someone who loves Mexican culture there's a lot about it to appreciate! Manny, as the child of a superhero, has loads of powers at his disposal and thus already has loads of moves and ideas to work with! Miracle City was a very colorful and vibrant setting, so something festive and heroic (especially possible with that added focus and DLC budget) would make for a super fun stage! It's even got a VOLCANO! How cool is that?! (and hopefully they wouldn't suck out all of the creativity just to make it tournament-legal...) All in all a fantastic addition that would please a lot of fans!

Otis

Chance: 75% -
Doesn't rank quite as high as young Manny Rivera, but is a Top 10 titan and has a lot of the same benefits! Like how El Tigre was a popular character filling the demand shoes Jenny left behind, Otis is doing the same thing but for Hugh's! A lot of Barnyard's request for representation comes from meme power, while the rest comes from unironic fondness ofr the show and nostalgia. So he'd be a crowd-pleaser with a lot of fan demand backing him up! Hugh proved that a meme pick with fan demand CAN score a spot on the roster. While Hugh was a special case, if you add Otis' moveset potential and the fandom's desire to have more shows represented you have a character with loads of upsides and very little downsides! Plus Hugh getting in also showed that there's no legal/rights issues for Steve Oedekerk's characters. There's a clear path here, and like El Tigre I think he's very likely for a second pass and practically a lock for a third. The only thing either of them have to worry about is the DLC ending or being out-prioritized by Jimmy/Timmy/Squidward.

Want: 80% - Other priorities, but Barnyard is such a meme between my friends and I that I would LOVE to see it in the game! I've seen several episodes of Back at the Barnyard, and all of the crazy things Otis does would make for a hilarious and extremely clever moveset! And think of the STAGE potential! Not only could we get loads of character cameos, but imagine if the stage was DESTRUCTIBLE akin to Mishima Dojo?! That alone would magnify the meme factor even further! The Barnyard franchise, while not given much attention by Nick these days, was very significant to Nick's history in the late 2000's, so it's a good piece of history to represent!

Nominations:
Shrek xAll

Predictions:
Transformers rep AND Power Rangers Rep - 18.95%

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
That's the kind of pick that doesn't age well. If you pick 100% for shock value people are gonna turn against it quickly. Remember what happened with :ultpiranha: ? (and this is coming from someone who LIKED its inclusion)

Either way, Otis is a meme pick that has more going for him than just 100% meme power. Such as actual fan demand, top 10 fan demand. In a climate where characters are chosen based on fan demand. Which character do you pick? The meme pick or the meme pick that people are actually asking for? You can't compare this to Hugh when he himself was the face of the community. Biggie Cheese is a super funny meme, and I'd be more than down for him as a second Barnyard rep, but a character with no fan demand Hugh-ing Otis? I don't see the logic here. Nobody in this game was picked purely for shock value, not even Hugh.
First: I never said Biggie Cheese was more likely than Otis, or even likely at all - I even refered to the 3 as a "small problem" for Otis in my writeup, not a major roadblock - I just said that Otis getting Hugh'd is a realistic possibility. Biggie would probably get a 25% from me at most (and that's a great highball), and Snotty even lower.

Second: I also never wanted to imply that Biggie would solely be a shock value pick, just that he is a pick with shock value. I'll save the rest of this discussion for a potential Biggie ranking day.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
First: I never said Biggie Cheese was more likely than Otis, or even likely at all - I even refered to the 3 as a "small problem" for Otis in my writeup, not a major roadblock - I just said that Otis getting Hugh'd is a realistic possibility. Biggie would probably get a 25% from me at most (and that's a great highball), and Snotty even lower.

Second: I also never wanted to imply that Biggie would solely be a shock value pick, just that he is a pick with shock value. I'll save the rest of this discussion for a potential Biggie ranking day.
It was moreso that you presented him as possibly Hugh-ing Otis, so I wanted to explain why I believed that was impossible. Either way I apologize if I didn't word things well.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Cow(?) and Cat: Revengeance
Chance: 80%.
I may have given these two mediocre ratings in the past, but things have changed. With Jenny in, they've been taking her place as 2000's characters that are icons of a small period of time in Nick history that were quickly screwed over by the network nonetheless. And as we could see with Jenny, fan demand is important enough to trump how Nick's treated shows in the past. But with how limited slots seem to be in NASB's DLC passes, there's always something that could prevent one or both of 'em from making it into a second one: Only half of the original Big Four made it into the first one, the 90's crowd moved on to the Angry Beavers, Ludosity and Nick are both part of said 90's crowd, and there's enough people who insist SpongeBob character #3 should've been Squidward. But on the other hand, Nick is learning that people can be nostalgic for 2000's shows other than FOP/Avatar/Danny Phantom/Invader Zim, Ludosity isn't biased enough to reject fan favorite 2000's characters, and Thaddeus had made a comment involving Timmy's appearance in Nick Extreme Tennis that could be bad for him in NASB. Maybe. Well if he is, someone's gotta take up whatever slot Timmy would've.

Abstain on want.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Manny Rivera
Chance: 60%

Not much has changed for El Tigre, and what has changed has been for the better. El Tigre (the character and the show) got treated kinda poorly by the network and was never as popular as Jenny/MLAATR, but you can't argue with top 5. The moveset potential's been there from the start, and the creator's super on board as well (I remember he tweeted around the time Jenny was announced implying he was disappointed that Manny wasn't in the game yet lmao). The only chance I can see for him being left out is if he gets outprioritized by other more obvious characters, or if the devs simply didn't watch El Tigre and he falls under their radar because of it. Still, those poll results don't lie, so we'll see whether the devs respond to the demand.

Want: 50%

My thoughts on El Tigre haven't really changed since the last time we rated him; I haven't seen the show, but the character looks cool enough that I'd be down for his inclusion.

The Funny Cow: Revengeance
Chance: 70%

I can't see many characters outprioritizing Otis right now. Really, all that comes to mind are the obvious like Jimmy, Timmy, a fourth SpongeBob character, and maybe Zuko. In a post-Hugh world, Otis has inherited the meme throne, and unlike other "meme picks", Otis's demand has remained relatively stable throughout the game's lifespan, making top 10 on the same poll where Manny made top 5. He's the star of a show that, like El Tigre, is widely looked back upon as a cult classic, and while the devs may not have seen Back at the Barnyard while it was airing, I think Otis embodies the inherently silly feel this game goes for a lot more than someone like Manny does. Unless they decide Barnyard isn't worth representing for some reason, I'm thinking he's in. (And for the record, I don't see the likes of Biggie Cheese or Snotty Boy as realistic competition for a Barnyard rep. I get that they're memes, but c'mon now.)

Want: 100%

This also has not changed since last time. I love Barnyard, I think it's ****ing hilarious both as a meme and as a show. It's spawned a ton of in-jokes with me and my friends, so its inclusion in this game would get a laugh out of me pretty much by default. While my personal preference may lie with Pig, Otis would be hilarious in his own right and would satisfy my want for a Barnyard rep just as well. He's one of the few characters I can see myself potentially switching mains for, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Transformers and Power Rangers Prediction: 10.97%
I get that these are major properties that HAVE aired on Nick in the past, but c'mon, this is just too high-profile for a game like this.

Noms to Pig

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Milo Manny and Otis
Chance: 70%
Want: 50%

Things are equally looking up for both of these characters ever since Jenny took her rightful place on the roster. Demand has significantly shot up for both. El Tigre is a cult classic while Barnyard is a legendary ****post of a show. Nick is now aware people are nostalgic for the late 2000's era of Nicktoons. Things aren't looking too hot for Timmy Turner, freeing up more room for another Aughts character to take the spot.
It's all a matter of who's gonna be the one to take the spot if we get a FP3. There's already no brainers like Jimmy Neutron and an Angry Beavers character to worry about, and then repeat IP characters like Squidward or Zuko, or even fellow 00's star, Snap.
It's hard to say which one has the edge. Otis has memes on his side and fits the "wouldn't it be funny if" vibe of the game perfectly, but Manny has slightly more demand and a superhero's kit to work with. It also depends on which series Nick is more willing to play ball with the idea of acknowledging again.
I'm gonna go ahead and give these two the same score. They're the strange bedfellows of 2000's Nick representation.

While we're re-rating, I'm gonna give my noms to Timmy. Might as well get the lamentations out of the way.

Predictions
5% to both.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Back at Miracle City
&
La Vaca: The Adventures of Otis

I'm lumping these two together since I think they're both equals in chance and I want them more or less the same amount (well, not really, but we'll get into that soon). Also I'll avoid getting into the whole "This show is about X" and "Its popularity is Y" since we already know, this is a rerate. I just wanted to get into what changed for them speculation-wise, which, is a lot.

Chance: 75%

These two are imo the most likely characters right now. I still don't think Jimmy is happening, Timmy is a coin toss and seems more unlikely by the day, and reps from established franchises seem elusive. The name of the game so far has been new franchises and popular picks. Do we have a reason to presume this is a set in stone trend that will continue? Only very flimsy ones! But convincing to me at least. The devs are quite savvy about the media and fan landscape they're in and have been vocal about their desire to avoid being safe and predictable. With that in mind, must-have choices like Squidward or Zuko or a third Turtle are good, but choices that are just as demanded but more unique to NASB - like today's duo - are better.

Going solely by the characters we received recently, it's clear that El Tigre and Otis are the ones with most gained. Jenny was the highly demanded rep for a mistreated 2000s era show (coincidentally starring a teenaged superhero). Hugh was the meme pick with supporters ironic and unironic alike (coincidentally from a show by Steve Oedekerk). With both having huge followings, when they got in, those fans needed a new horse to bet on, and it seems pretty clear that Tigre and Otis are their heirs. So not only do they fill a similar role, one that has been proven to get a character through the door, but they also inherited a great percentage of those fanbases, as evidenced by their very high polling.

I can't fully discount other popular characters, nor the possibility of other kinds of picks (such as Nick forcing Optimus Prime, Spock, Big Nate, etc for that synergy). Hell we don't even know if there will be more characters after Rocko. But I'm feeling these two strongly.

In a fair world I'd give Otis a 100% and Manny a 1000%. The key difference is that Otis is just a character I fully support being in this game and would be very hyped for, whereas Manny is one of my three most wanted. But there's a ceiling here and I won't dishonor Otis with less than a perfect score so it's a numerical tie!

Back at the Barnyard is just a great fountain of memes. I don't really get why people memed SpongeBob or Jimmy Neutron so much but with this one I fully understand it. The show is sheer chaos and narm and fully elicits that response. I remember watching it as a kid and actually finding it quite funny, though whether that is evidence of high quality or low standards I can't be certain. But the memes I can appreciate.

Meanwhile El Tigre is just a top tier show. The characters, both heroes and villains, are quirky and creative and always entertaining to see. I always found Manny struggling with his conflicting legacies and figuring out whether he wanted El Tigre to be a force for good or for petty selfishness to be super interesting and really unusual for a kids' show. Miracle City is a kickass setting for a fighting game stage and Manny was made to be a fighter. Would be the biggest wasted opportunity if he didn't make it into this game by the end of support.

Noms: Robot and Monster (forgot about these two! The breadwinners will have to wait)
Transformers rep prediction: 30% (inflated by myself probably)
Power Rangers rep prediction: 4%

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Luna Loud
Chance: 15.71% (Day 25: 27.67%)
Want: 62.50% (Day 25: 62.14%)
Winner of predictions is LimeTH LimeTH , who predicted 15%. You get 10 extra noms!
Arnold
Chance: 22.25%
Want: 46.25%
Winner of predictions is LimeTH LimeTH , who predicted 20%. You get 5 extra noms!

Day will probably end in about 24 hours or so, give or take.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
El Tigre

Chance - 80% - While there's this small niggling feeling he won't make it, he's probably one of the more likely characters out of them all. While he never toped the charts and is typically behind the JT Power Hour, he's still the most popular character owned by Nick who is from a new franchise who isn't those two. He has a clear move set due to his Super-Hero origins, and is generally seen as a successor to Jenny in terms of fan demand. If there was a new set and Jimmy and/or Timmy didn't make it, he's an easy pick.

Want - 95% - El Tigre was a favorite show while I was growing up. While I can't remember much, El Tigre was a great, funny show and Manny has great potential.

Ottis

Chance - 75% - I'm being slightly more cautious here, as Otis generally polls worse than El Tigre. Otherwise, he seems to be a successor to Hugh, being the meme pick. While you may disagree with a meme vote, a vote's still a vote.

Want - 45% - The Back at the Barnyard memes were part of a time when I wasn't paying attention to memes. Some of it made me laugh, but otherwise I have no desire for them and would rather have other characters.

Predicitons

Transformers - 0.47% - Ain't they more likely for Multiverses?

Power Rangers - 8.35% - I have no idea.

Nominations

Nate Wright (Big Nate) x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
a literal talking cow and a kid with daddy issues

Chance for both: 70%

With several major fan requests having been checked off the list in the first pass, there is now more room for more niche series. Both Barnyard and El Tigre are cult classics and both Otis and Manny are now in the top 10 requests. El Tigre is a well respected show with a dedicated fanbase and Barnyard benefits from being a major meme machine which has been fully explained above.

Now whether we actually get these characters depends on how you think future DLC will be lined up. For me, I'm sticking with my gut feeling that we'll get a 2nd character pass with three characters. I'm personally putting my chips in a Jimmy/Timmy double reveal. But assuming they get put into a pass with a third character, that implies that the third character will likely be a less obvious pick. My logic with that is the devs like to surprise us, as evidenced by Hugh. Since the -immy duo are the top 2 requests, it would make sense for the devs to want to add a bit of variety with the third character in the pass. Either Otis or EL Tigre would fit perfectly with that line of thinking. Otis is a major meme pick like Hugh or maybe the devs might want to throw fans of a more niche series a bone.

Either way that theory supports both characters and I'm sure we'll get at least one of them. Originally I gave Otis and Manny a 60 each, but thinking about it, I'll give them a 70. if for whatever reason Jimmy or Timmy doesn't make it in the next pass, I can see Otis and Manny being in the same pass as they each appeal to different parts of the fandom.

Want for Both: 80%

Barnyard was a show that I enjoyed a lot as a kid. I didn't necessarily find it drop dead hilarious, but it gave me some good laughs and the stories were wacky enough to entertainment me. As for E; Tigre, I never got into the show that much. Again, up until I was like 13, I preferred cartoons that were light on story and heavy on humor (there were some exceptions of course, such as Teen Titans). But that said, I would be happy for all the Manny fans out there. Plus he has a really cool design and great moveset potential.

Predictions
Transformers - 15%
Power Rangers - 7%

Noms: Non-Loud House 2010's character xMax

D

Deleted member

Chance- 80%
El Tigre falls into a similar slot to Jenny, being a highly stylized cartoon that was underlooked by the Network. The fanbase might not be quite as loud as MLATR, but they're definitely out there. I do think it has has a few things going for it. Having another fan favorite on the roster would be smart. The creator has spoken about waiting to see El Tigre show up. The series is an action comedy so it's pretty easy to make a moveset for a character, it's literally about wrestling. El Tigre doesn't really have anything going against him. The only thing I could see is that he simply gets out prioritised by other characters, which is definitely possible.

Want - 70%
I did watch this show but I don't remember much about it. I like the artsytle and I think he could have a pretty fun moveset. He's not a character I'm actively pushing for, but I think he'd be pretty cool.

Chance - 70%
Otis falls onto a similar status as Hugh. His name came up a lot when this came was announced just due to how common Barnyard is in memes. You could probably make a full moveset for Otis based on memes from this seires alone. We know this team are more than aware of memes, and aren't afraid to tap into them. Hugh and Nigel are proof of that. But Barnyard isn't Jimmy Neutron. Nickelodeon doesn't really give Barnyard any acknowledgement. It's not on Paramount Plus and never shows up on merch. Hugh went down so well though that I could see them wanting to dip into another meme request, and Otis is the next big one. For the record I don't think Pig, Snottyboy or Biggie Cheese would ever get in over him. Sure, they're probably bigger meme icons, but all the stuff around this game is centered around Otis. I do think those characters would likely make appenrces in some way should Otis get in.

Want - 80%
I actually watched, and liked, this show and film. Similar to FB&CC, it was the exact type of humor my dumb child brain found funny. I think Otis could be a lot of fun. Hugh turned out great, so I don't doubt them at this point.

Predictions
Transformers - 4%
Power Rangers - 2%

Noms to Doodlebob

Last edited by a moderator:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
El Tigre
Chance: 80%
While his show didn't last long, that didn't stop him from having a massive fanbase and becoming one of the most highly requested characters for this game. Seriously, he got 4th in the most recent fan poll. El Tigre will almost definitely become playable at some point. The only thing I could see stopping him is the possibility ofNick execs not wanting him in for some reason.

El Tigre would be perfect for this game. He is easily one of my most wanted characters.

Otis
Chance: 80%
Otis is another character who is very highly requested. He's a funny meme man, and the main character of his own show! I could see him showing up at some point, but it is a bit weird that Otis has almost never shown up in crossover games. Though I have a good feeling this game could change that.

Want: 90%
Otis isn't my most wanted character, but he's pretty high up there. I definitely think he deserves to show up eventually.

Power Rangers prediction: 10%
Transformers prediction: 5%
Noms: Biggie Cheese x10
DAY OVER
Rate Concept: Transformers rep and Concept: Power Rangers rep, predict Robot & Monster.

DaUsername DaUsername Everything alright, friend?
No.
But seriously I don't really have any actual excuse for the day lasting this long outside of just laziness. I'll try to make sure we never have a day this long again, and if it does happen again then someone else can take over.

D

Deleted member

Go Go Power Rangers
Chance - 0%
Power Rangers did have a strong relationship with Nickelodeon for a long time, airing on the network since 2011. Power Rangers characters even appeared in the browser Nickelodeon fighting games. However. Power Rangers and Nickelodeon's relationship ended last year with Power Rangers Dino Fury being the last show on the network, with the upcoming Cosmic Fury set to debut on Netflix, which is proablly to do with the franchise being sold to Hasbro. Nick never acrualy owned the franchise, it was simply brosdcast rights. (Fun Fact: Disney actually owned Power Rangers in the early 2000s) From what I hear Power Rangers is kind of a complicated rights mess to deal with anyway, due to the reuse of Japanese Super Sentai content. It's also worth noting that any time Power Rangers gets any kind of merch or something like this it's usualy the Mighy Moprphing era, which predates the Nickelodeon relationship, and while characters from it showed up in Nick era shows, it's probably not that associated with the Network. Power Rangers is also a live action show, another issue, but they do at least have the factor of being easy to translate to something like this due to their costumes. I just don't think guest characters of any kind will be a focus for this game. They only have so many resources and those would likely be better put into home grown Nickelodeon (or owned like Garfield and TMNT) characters.

Want - 40%
I was a pretty big Power Rangers fan ad a kid. I haven't actually kept up with the modern shows. The fighting game is genuinely a lot of fun though. A Power Ranger would be pretty fun in a platform fighter. Don't have a ton of attachment to the Nickelodeon era as it's after I grew out of watching the show. But they seem pretty cool, lots of interesting powersets. And of course I'd be down for a Classic Ranger in there. I do want them to focus more on "Nickelodeon" characters. But this is probably the guest character I'd be most happy with.

More than meets the eye
Chance- 1%
Another Hasbro owned character, and one Hasbro has owned for far longer. However from what I see the relationship with Nickelodeon isn't quite as prevalent. There is a Transformers show, Earthspark, which uses Nickelodeon branding and was intended to launch on the channel, though ended up launching on Paramount Plus. But Transfomers shows have also aired on the likes of Cartoon Network and Netflix, it's not an exclusive thing. Paramount do make the Transfomers movies. But something being made by Paramount doesn't really make it likely for this game. They make the Halo show but I don't think we're getting Master Chief anytime soon. Similar to Power Rangers, Transfomers crossover content seems to be all Gen 1, and not the current shows. Giving this a slightly higher rating than the Rangerd because it being animated and the recency of the relationship helps, but once again I just don't think guest characters are on the table for this game. One thing also worth noting for both of these is the slim but not impossible possibility that they team up with Warner for content in Multiversus.

Want - 40%
Sure. Transformers are cool. Iron Gaint in MVS has made me want to see more huge characters like this. I do think having the Ninja Turtles and the Transfomers in one game would be pretty great. Optimus, who would almost definitely be the character chosen, would be pretty fun. Transforming into a truck and running over Spongebob or Ren and Stimpy would just be so extremely fun. I don't need "guest" characters in this game, but Optimus is one I could accept.

Noms to Doodlebob

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Mighty Morphin' Power Aliens and Rangers

Chances:
Power Rangers - 10%
Transformers - 13%

I'm gonna be talking about both here since they are in a very similar position in my eyes. This may or may not be a hot take, but I think Power Rangers and especially Transformers have a semi-decent chance. Both are iconic franchises with multi-generational appeal. Paramount also has good ties with both IPs as they apparently aired Power Rangers shows for roughly a decade on Nickelodeon and they have distributed the live-action Transformers films. So if by some chance the network pushes for a big third party character that will sell based on name recognition alone, these two are solid candidates (Not that I think this is particularly likely judging from the first wave of DLC, but it's still something we need to keep in mind I think).

However, these two series diverge a bit in chance. While Power Rangers has a solid history with Nickelodeon, it seems like it's not going to air on Nick anymore after the near future. Meanwhile Transformers is getting a new show on Paramount+ so that could indicate things to come to the future, and as a result I think Transformers is a little more likely to get a rep. Still, I don't think either are super likely for one reason: Habro. It's one thing to negotiate with one person like they probably had to do with Danny, but it's a whole nother ball park to deal with a corporation. I'm not sure if they would be a pain to deal with, but considering the net worth of the company and the pedigree of Transformers, it would not be cheap that's for sure. And with NASB having a bologna sandwich budget, this might not even be possible.

Want for both: 100%

Both of these choices would be awesome. I dig Transformers a lot. I've watched the original 80's show and some of the modern cartoons over the years, plus all of the live action movies which are mostly....not good but hey I find them entertaining. The point is, having someone like Optimus Prime or Bumblebee in the game would be hype. I mean come on they are transforming robots with guns and swords, what's not to love? As for Power Rangers, I've never gotten into them. I watched a movie a long time ago and I was just ambivalent throughout the whole thing. But recently I've been getting more into Tokusatsu (a Japanese term used for shows and movies that rely heavily on special effects) stuff. After I catch up on Ultraman, I'm thinking about getting into Super Sentai (which are basically the Japanese Power Rangers), so yeah I'm warming up to the group. Plus they do all kinds of crazy stuff with martial arts fighting and transforming into god dam dinosaurs that's cool. That makes me wish we had final smash equivalents in this game. Besides, it's hard to say no with how big Power Rangers is.

And yes, I didn't forget we are talking about NASB here. To me, Power Rangers and Transformers make just enough sense that I wouldn't find it odd seeing a rep for them on the roster. Plus they would be such a big deal like with Star Trek. Again, if you want to draw more attention to the game, this is how you do it.

Prediction - I don't know anything about Robot & Monster so I'm taking a shot in the dark: 11%

Noms: Non-Loud House 2010's character xMax

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Transformation central! Reformation central! Transmogrification central! Can you feel it? You're chanin' you're changin; you're changin' alright. I hope you're satisfied!

ok i'm done

chances: 0% with no indication of third party inclusion i feel inclined to say no. i don't even no what the connection is. I'm not sure how tricky the toy company that owns the rights is to deal with either. i get the feeling they're gonna stick to the characters who are thought of as nick toons. though these guys have more than enough for a fighter of their own.

want: 0%. i'm more of a beast wars fan.

Oh no not teenagers!

chances: 0% see above.

want: 0% power rangers is one of those things from my childhood i have no nostalgia for. sure i watched along side shows that i do have it for, many and afternoon after school at my grandfather's digimon followed by wild force. ah. but even then nope, not bothered.

noms to spike

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Transformers and the Power Rangers

Chance for both - 0% - I don't think we have the capability for a third party right now. The game was made on a shoestring budget, and thus has very little to spare right now. Having to go through Hasbero doesn't bode well for either of them to me.

Want for both - 50% - Eh... I don't really care for it. I was more absorbed by Dinosaurs when I would be attracted to these franchises. I'd rather focus more on Nick-focused properties, but I understand that these are a big deal.

Prediction

Robot and Monster - 3.32% - Barely anyone remembers these guys...

Nominations

Nate Wright (Big Nate) x5

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You got the touch
Chance: 10%.
Nickelodeon seems decently interested in promoting the concept of Transformers being associated with Nick. Alongside Earthspark, they've had the 80s series slip into NickRewind posts, and on Pluto, Nick has the sister channel Transformers TV, which plays various Transformers series throughout the years. But, it's still a series Nick doesn't own, and we know NASB doesn't have all the money in the world.

Thaddeus, interest in NASB has escaped! Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude!
Chance: 0%.
Nickelodeon had the broadcasting rights to Power Rangers at one point, and there's the problem right there: Had. As in, they legally can't broadcast anything Power Rangers anymore. And if "broadcasting rights" doesn't make it clear already, they didn't actually own the franchise, let alone Super Sentai. Which I think would be another can of worms, since Battle for the Grid has yet to release in Japan since it's not easy to legally make it a Super Sentai game. In fact I don't think there's a single video game in existence that exists as a "Power Rangers" version for the west and a "Super Sentai" version for Japan.

Want: Abstain
I wasn't allowed to watch Power Rangers as a kid because I dunno (at least I can remember why RML and R&S were forbidden, but that's for another time). Transformers I have some attachment to, but not an outprioritize-characters-I-saw-on-Nick-outside-of-commercials kind.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Transformers
Chances: 5%
Viacom/Paramount owns at least part of the media aspect of the franchise, so it's not impossible, but the lack of association with Nickelodeon and the potentiol of licensing costs through Hasbro probably keeps this from being overly possible

Power Rangers
Chance: 0%
I don't think they ever owned this one. There's no money in the budget for third party characters, and even if there were, they'd save it for something more immediately associated with Nick.

Want for both: Abstain

Noms to Timmy Turner and Heffer.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
More than meets the eye

Chance: 75%
Transformers is a media franchise based on a toyline by Hasbro and Takara Tomy. It's about this secret war between two factions of alien robots that can transform into cars, you know the deal.

Now, as I said on the Star Trek day, I am extremely confident that one fighter will be from a big franchise that has Nick connections but is mainly there out of synergy with their parent company Paramount. A big, headline-driving pick that will bring people back to the game while also serving as a "yes, you can find this franchise on Nick and Paramount+". Lo and behold, Transformers has been a Paramount franchise since the 2007 live action adaptation by Michael Bay, spanning 6 movies so far, and will continue to be one for the foreseeable future, with at least 2 more slated for release. Hasbro seems to have made Paramount their home for live action movies, also making three G.I. Joe movies together and the upcoming Dungeons & Dragons. Whereas they're more mercenary when it comes to animation, teaming up with whoever is willing to pay, Transformers Earthspark was not only made by Nickelodeon but is even an official Nicktoon. There is a strong connection there and it's close enough that it might make licensing easier (and cheaper). I know the budget for this game is comparable with Sakurai's catering budget, but I think a big part of why NASB was greenlit is so that Paramount can show off the likes of this and Garfield. Trek is probably likelier just because Paramount outright owns it, but never underestimate the appeal of giant fighting robots.

Optimus Prime in a fighting game. Against Jenny Wakeman. This needs to happen.

Baby's first tokusatsu

Chance: 5%
Power Rangers is a massive franchise that needs no introduction. Teenagers with attitude fighting evil aliens with superhero outfits, gnarly gadgets and giant robots. All using the age old tradition of stock footage from the parallel Super Sentai series, making these one of the most interesting kids shows production wise.

It did air on Nickelodeon until recently. But beyond that there's really no connection between the two brands. This probably depends on age, but I at least associate Power Rangers with Disney since that's where the shows I saw aired. The saving grace for the IP I think is that Hasbro recently bought Saban. And as I mentioned before, Paramount and Hasbro are pretty tight. But unlike some of their other franchises, Power Rangers made their live action movie with Lionsgate, not Paramount. So in the realm of Hasbro IP this is still pretty far back in line (hell, even My Little Pony got a movie with Paramount).

Also, at the end of the day, while Paramount may want to show off their stuff, this is still a Nick fighter, and de facto a Nicktoons fighter. We're not about to start discussing Maverick just because Paramount owns Top Gun. Without the Rangers having a Nicktoon (or at the very least a current run on Nick) I don't see it. Next season is slated to go to Netflix, but maybe eventually Nick can nab the rights again and makes this a thing.

I, like most humans, was once a child. And having been a child, I enjoyed my incarnation of Power Rangers. It's an inevitability really, life, death, taxes and Power Rangers. Still have my original DVD of Turbo, which was the hypest **** ever for me because oh my god they made a movie about the Power Rangers! I watched it over and over again and I didn't even know who these people were. So yeah this would be quite cool for the little kid in me.

Robot and Monster prediction: 4% what dumbass nominated them?
Noms: SwaySway and Buhdeuce

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
El Tigre
Chance: 75% (Day 5: 41.40%)
Want: 78.13% (Day 5: 76.50%)
Winner of predictions is DaUsername DaUsername with a prediction if 80%. 5 extra noms.
El Tigre is now our 5th most likely character and our 6th most wanted character.
Otis
Chance: 73.16% (Day 5: 43.40%)
Want: 78.13% (Day 5: 67.50%)
Winner of predictions is DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire , who predicted 75.28%. You get 5 extra noms!
Otis is now our 6th most likely character and is tied for our 6th most wanted character.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstain from Power Transformer.
R&M prediction: 8%
Noms: Biggie Cheese x10
DAY OVER
Rate Robot & Monster, predict Nate Wright from Big Nate and Concept:
Rocko's alternate render in the gallery being based on this specific stock promo art of him jumping in what appears to be joy but could also be shock

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Robot and Monster

Chance: 5% -
This show was not well received during its' time, and while it has a few fans now, the majority of the Nick audience sees it as an out of place Nick Jr. show. It was also on the air during a time when a lot of kids were tuned into Cartoon Network/Disney (and Spongebob/Turtles/Fairly OddParents more than likely overshadowed the show), so while it is now 10 years old you don't see much nostalgia for it. There isn't much demand for them, nor is there developer preference (pretty much any 2010's Nick show is in a dire situation when it comes to getting/getting more characters, even The Loud House and TMNT), which basically spells out one's fate in NASB. Granted, they aren't impossible by any means, but I'm really not expecting them any time soon.

Want: 20% - I don't have anything against these guys, but don't have any attachment to them either. Not only do I have other priorities, but there are loads of iconic Nick characters that aren't in yet and should get in first. Plus, if we get another 2010's character I'd rather have another Loud House rep. But these two do do some interesting things in their show, and their designs are unique, so I do see some decent potential for a duo character!

Nominations:
Shrek xAll

Predictions:
Rocko's alternate render in the gallery being based on this specific stock promo art of him jumping in what appears to be joy but could also be shock - 50.57% - Rocko's in the game already, and a good chunk of the game's renders are based on stock art, so I'm expecting plenty of good scores! It's gonna be a coin toss! xD

Big Nate - 6.48% - I can see Nick pushing for him but he's no world-famous icon like Garfield. Plus fans aren't pusing for him, so I'm not expecting confident scores.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Robot and Monster actually air on Nick Jr. or Noggin after it was cancelled?
I think it did!
I don't remember that show being THAT babyish. Like I swear it was really slapstick heavy and had at least one "horror movie motif" episode. But it's been so long that I'm probably remembering it wrong.

I also don't really care enough about the show to really bother rating it, so I'm gonna abstain.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Robot and Monster

Chance - 1% - Still Nick characters, but badly overshadowed. All anyone remembers about them is how the team that worked on this show would go on to work for Nick's version of TMNT, and that's about it. The show's single season was released across three whole years across two channels, and with episodes out of order at that, before it's second season was canceled with at least one episode on the story board. The results of this chaotic mess of a schedule resulted in no fanbase. It's another show Nick screwed up because it wasn't the sponge, what's there to say?

Want - 45% - Eh, can't be bothered by it. There are other characters I would prefer, but I won't mind it.

Predictions

Rocko's image thing - 35.13% - I have no idea how to rate this...

Nate - 7.45% - Not quite a Garfield situation...

Nominations

Rancid Rabbit X5

D

Deleted member

Abstain. After my time

Noms to Angelica

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sooo, Robot and Monster! Only ran for one season. Said season was quite long and spread out between 4 years(!) But it was also filled with production issues and was aired out of order and constantly swapped networks. It's also not... great, nor very beloved, nor even ironically enjoyed. And their demand just isn't there. Not looking good for them unless someone on the dev team is a huge fan.

Chance: 1%

A very generous 100%, for sure, but it's mostly for the moveset potential from Robot. He had telescopic limbs and stuff, right? As I'm typing this I'm starting to wonder if I'm not mixing him up with the robot from Meet the Robinsons. Ah well. Anyway, as for the show itself, I recall watching it and thinking it was super lame, but continuing to watch it. Might have been a guilty pleasure, or a last shred of childhood innocence I was reluctant to let go of. Or it might just have been mediocre enough not to make me change the channel, which is good enough when you compare it to the likes of Fanboy & Chum Chum or Breadwinners.

Noms: SwaySway and Buhdeuce
Nate prediction: 11% (I expect my score to raise the average by quite a bit)
Rocko's God-tier Concept prediction: 99.99%

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Another robot and monster for Ultraman to beat up

Chance: 1%

There isn't a lot to say here. One positive I can bring up is that despite the show being one season, it did last for 3 years so.....that's still a decent run I guess. But otherwise, yeah they would need an explosion of fan demand to be realistic candidate. It's one of the many shows Nick screwed over and there isn't anything I see that would put these candidates in a unique situation.

Want: 55%

I like their designs but that's about it. I'm more lenient here than I am with Smash so I'd be ok with them. Still, it's not like I have an attachment to them as I never the saw the show. I think I started to grow out of cartoons around 2012 so this show just barely missed me.

Predictions:
Nate - 9%
Rocko render - 75%

Noms: Non-Loud House 2010's character x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Concept: Power Rangers Rep
Chance: 2.14%
Want: 58%
Winner of predictions is @Darkonedagger, who predicted 2%. You get 10 extra noms!
Concept: Transformers rep
Chance: 14.86%
Want: 58%
Winner of predictions is DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 , who predicted 15%. You get 10 extra noms!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstain
Nate prediction: 12%
Rocko Render prediction: 69%
Noms: Biggie Cheese x5
DAY OVER
Rate Big Nate and Concept:
Rocko's alternate render in the gallery being based on this specific stock promo art of him jumping in what appears to be joy but could also be shock
, predict SwaySway & Buhdeuce.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Rocko render prediction: 76%
2010s-era Nickelodeon nostalgia merchandise is unfortunately poorly-documented, however Nickelodeon does have a Rocko-specific shop on Amazon... and boy, that jumping render shows up a lot
One advantage this render has is that it's a lot more dynamic than Rocko's other renders - it's fun and silly with a distinct silhouette and feels like a pose he could be making in the middle of a battle.

I feel there's 3 other Rocko poses that are competing tightly for that "second render" status, but have disadvantages over this alt
9DB70CBF-B3C9-4581-A8A6-5F2CF3AAD00E.jpeg
A9DE6A95-CE46-4436-8CF7-A11E5C03D070.jpeg
C563A2CC-E9A4-4D4A-9DEB-4856CC5FBEA7.jpeg

1. I'll name this Rocko "savvy arms". Savvy Arms is a fun pose, but also not dynamic and does not imply action. It depicts Rocko standing, just like his regular render, though it does get extra points for its happy expression, which was removed in the transition from Rocko's smiling and waving render to the NASB version.
  2. I'll name this Rocko "I have been beaten to death." IHBBTD is a very dynamic pose that portrays the mood of the show and a fight well... but also isn't really a good image to sell DLC with. Rocko does have a bit of a butt monkey status in Nick games' marketing, (NKR2's title screen, his look of sheer fear in the NKR3 trailer) but they are still trying to sell Rocko DLC either way, implying "if you play as Rocko, you'll be beaten up" doesn't sell DLC
  3. The third, which I'll call "Season Two", has the advantages and problems of IHBBTF to a lesser extent, but also exists within a single DVD cover and not on T-shirts or toy packaging, and was drawn in Joe Murray's more chibified post-Let's Go Luna style instead of the Rocko model sheet and therefore may be harder to translate into Rocko's NASB model - though, as shown by Helga and April's alts, the NASB devs are certainly willing to take from obscure promo stuff, and they can make their models go off-model, as seen in Ren & Stimpy's alternate alternate render (the one that isn't in the game)
Most renders not referenced are extremely close to the waving render used for Rocko's main render.

Jumping Rocko just feels like the most likely pick, it's on tons of merchandise, is dynamic enough to imply action, and doesn't make Rocko seem like the wimp on the barby he is. Now, that being said - there is one more render I want to discuss that I think is very likely to appear in a certain, specific circumstance...

The Rocko hugging Spunky render - if Spunky appears in Rocko's moveset (or to a lesser extent stage) I feel it cloud be chosen - not ensured, given GIR isn't in any of Zim's renders, but certainly seems likely given how iconic this pose is - being in the intro and all - as well as how it portrays Rocko's usually peaceful nature without presenting him as a coward.

Also, researching this, I found out this sin against (anthropomorphic) nature is official merchandise. Sorry you had to see this.
6DD8FA98-4B86-450C-821A-E4C3BC6CCDD7.jpeg

Want: 0%
I really, really, really do not like this render. It just feels... off. I don't think Rocko ever unhinges his jaw that far even for wild takes.

Breadwinners prediction: 4.9%

5 noms for Biggie Cheese

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Ah, but have we considered this one?

1664479314335.png

It's the only other Rocko stock art I can find online (which is insane because I KNOW there's more). It shows Rocko in the throes of a wild take, implies action of some sort, and is more true to Rocko as a character and the sort of things he goes through. He is constantly on high alert, nervous, and usually something bad is happening to him. For all we know, this is his response to getting jumped by a Ninja Turtle.

I'll give jumping Rocko a 50% in chance, since it's either that one or this one.

Seriously, where did all the Nicktoons stock art go? I had a CD ROM game as a kid where you could create little scenes by pasting characters onto backgrounds, and everyone had at least five pieces of art to work with.

Want: eh. 50%. It's a fun pose, even if I guess it isn't totally in character for Rocko to look so ready to party.

Noms to Angelica and Timmy Turner

SwaySway & Buhdeuce Prediction: a big fat zero. The devs have made their opinions on these characters in particular quite clear.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ah, but have we considered this one?

View attachment 361549

It's the only other Rocko stock art I can find online (which is insane because I KNOW there's more). It shows Rocko in the throes of a wild take, implies action of some sort, and is more true to Rocko as a character and the sort of things he goes through. He is constantly on high alert, nervous, and usually something bad is happening to him. For all we know, this is his response to getting jumped by a Ninja Turtle.

I'll give jumping Rocko a 50% in chance, since it's either that one or this one.

Seriously, where did all the Nicktoons stock art go? I had a CD ROM game as a kid where you could create little scenes by pasting characters onto backgrounds, and everyone had at least five pieces of art to work with.

Want: eh. 50%. It's a fun pose, even if I guess it isn't totally in character for Rocko to look so ready to party.

Noms to Angelica and Timmy Turner

SwaySway & Buhdeuce Prediction: a big fat zero. The devs have made their opinions on these characters in particular quite clear.
I did consider that render, but didn't mention it since I couldn't find any instance of it actually being used on Nick-branded Rocko merchandise, just thumbnails for articles and videos about Rocko - I'm not sure if it's fan art that's been given the canon-by-Google Images treatment, or some official art that was used on a webpage but not any physical toys, but I do know that it's traced from Ed is Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom