• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's calcs time!

Scorpion
Chance: 88.95%
Want: 65. 24%

His chance score isn't surprising, although his want score isn't quite as high as some would assume. A major reason for that is he is just simply expected and thus not a particularly exciting, left field candidate.

Now here is your new shiny noms list. Please check here to see the progress on your noms and to see if your noms have been counted. PM me if there is any questions.

100+

75-99

50-74

25-49

1-24
John Stewart x10
Popeye x10
Numbuh 1 x10
Neo x5
Static x5
Eustace Bagge x5
**** Dastardly Richard x5
The Grinch x5
Daffy Duck x5
Austin Powers x5
Quan-Chi x5
Citizen Kane x5
Harvey Birdman x5
Wiz and Boomstick x5
Paul Atreides x5
Ben 10 x5
K.O x5
Eric Andre x5
Gumball x5
John J. Sheridan x4
**** Grayson x3
Mucha Lucha rep x2
Dio Brando x2
Jarro x1
Kuroyukihime x1
Maxwell x1
Jackie Chan x1

Right now you have less than 10 sentences. That means you have to either write 5 more sentences or choose between Rick or Dexter to nom.

I can tell you one thing that can get you interested, two words: Gun scythe

Wait so you only found out about the show yesterday and yet you make a bold claim that it's to indoctrinate little girls into supporting an amendment? I don't see where you got that from.[/collapse][/collapse]
I choose Rick Sanchez, because he is very iconic Adult Swim character that is considered to be most popular AS character. Besides he could have unique moveset potential and he teleport by using his portal gun. Rick could even be first Adult Swim rep in Multiversus that could bring his fans to game. He was even considered as Base game fighter along with Gandalf. His series are so popular that he appeared in other media like Space Jam 2.

D

Deleted member

I choose Rick Sanchez, because he is very iconic Adult Swim character that is considered to be most popular AS character. Besides he could have unique moveset potential and he teleport by using his portal gun. Rick could even be first Adult Swim rep in Multiversus that could bring his fans to game. He was even considered as Base game fighter along with Gandalf. His series are so popular that he appeared in other media like Space Jam 2.
They mean sentences in your Ruby write up. If you write five more you can nom both.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Chances: 80%
It might not happen super early, but I feel like as we get a bunch of male characters the demand for a female rep will go up. She is probably in the top 3 with Lola Bunny and Raven, maybe even number 1. She is also popular amongst weebs so that a plus and her making it into the first week of rate their chances is also a good sign.

Want 30%
The reason it’s so low is because I’ve never heard of her until yesterday. I like the cringey humor, but I feel like I’m not the show's target audience. I’d say it’s target audience is little girls they want to indoctrinate into supporting the second amendment. I probably would like it more if I watched it with my sister as a kid.I’d probably like her more. I will say I love her weapon. It’s hilariously huge and when it turns into a gun it reminds me of Lightning's sword from Final Fantasy 13 (My first and favorite Final Fantasy game). I won’t be disappointed at all if she makes it in and I’ll probably even use her, but I can’t get excited over a character I don’t know. Sorry.

Noms: Quan Chi X5
**** Dastardly X2
**** Grayson X3
Gonna say that knowing the people who made RWBY, it is 100% not about the second amendment. It is just a bunch of people from RT making Monty's passion project of a quasi shoenen. RWBY operates solely on the rule of cool. The reason Ruby's scythe turns into a gun is just because that would be cool. The reason they made a crazy guy with a scorpion tail is because they thought that would be cool. They added a kaiju sized monster to the season finale of one season is because thats cool. Its never been a deep show. If it is right wing propaganda, it is pretty terrible at that job due to the LGBTQ+ characters and staunch anti military stance.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
View attachment 341889
Ah. I see.
(In my defense, it looks exactly like anime).
Monty Oum, the guy who created RWBY, was a massive weeaboo. He made the show as a love letter to anime. Heck, Ruby's dog is named Zwei, alluding to the dog in Cowboy Bebop. There are a ton more anime references but it very clearly is anime influenced.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Ruby Rose

Chance - Abstain
, I haven’t saw the show at all. I don’t feel like I could make a fair judgement.

Want - Abstain, Like I said above, I haven’t saw the show at all. I wish the best for Ruby Rose fans, her popularity really shows with her being the second character reviewed.

Noms: Eustace Bagge 5x

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
It's calcs time!

Scorpion
Chance: 88.95%
Want: 65. 24%

His chance score isn't surprising, although his want score isn't quite as high as some would assume. A major reason for that is he is just simply expected and thus not a particularly exciting, left field candidate.

Now here is your new shiny noms list. Please check here to see the progress on your noms and to see if your noms have been counted. PM me if there is any questions you have.

100+

75-99

50-74

25-49

1-24
John Stewart x10
Popeye x10
Numbuh 1 x10
Neo x5
Static x5
Eustace Bagge x5
**** Dastardly Richard x5
The Grinch x5
Daffy Duck x5
Austin Powers x5
Quan-Chi x5
Citizen Kane x5
Harvey Birdman x5
Wiz and Boomstick x5
Paul Atreides x5
Ben 10 x5
K.O x5
Eric Andre x5
Gumball x5
John J. Sheridan x4
**** Grayson x3
Mucha Lucha rep x2
Dio Brando x2
Jarro x1
Kuroyukihime x1
Maxwell x1
Jackie Chan x1

Right now you have less than 10 sentences. That means you have to either write 5 more sentences or choose between Rick or Dexter to nom.

I can tell you one thing that can get you interested, two words: Gun scythe

Wait so you only found out about the show yesterday and yet you make a bold claim that it's to indoctrinate little girls into supporting an amendment? I don't see where you got that from. [/collapse][/collapse]
I watched a few episodes. She seems to be real big into weapons. It was a joke too.
Edit: y'all are too serious and need to chill out, jeez

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The original Batwoman

Chance: 80%
Yeah I'd say it makes a lot of sense. She's kinda the obvious Rooster Teeth rep as far as I know. I'm not expecting a lot of Rooster Teeth content since that's kind of the vertical WB doesn't really understand or know what to do with but I'd say at least one rep is going to happen and it'll be from RWBY (sorry Lazer Team). And yeah I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up the series' many, many appearances in fighting games already, so it's pretty well suited.

Want: 50%
I've never watched RWBY and my biggest exposure to it is watch friends passionately argue about when it got bad. I don't think it's my cup of tea because I'm not into anime, but I think Ruby still deserves to show up in MultiVersus and has a lot of unique aspects that would make her a cool addition.

Noms: Paul Atreides x5

KillerCage

Smash Master
IT'S TIME FOR LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD WITH A GUN-SCYTHE COMBO TO JOIN MULTIVERSES!
INTRODUCING RUBY ROSE FROM ROOSTERTEETH'S "RWBY!!!"

Chance: 75%
While Red vs Blue is what made Roosterteeth what they are today, RWBY is by far their most popular series. RWBY is so popular in fact that they have multiple crossovers including DC Comics. Heck RWBY has proven itself that it can work in crossover fighters as seen in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. What makes me hesitate on her chances is that outside RWBY, Roosterteeth doesn't have many original properties that they can 100% call their own. They do have Red vs Blue and Death Battle, but those are shows based on other properties that Warner Brothers doesn't own. Still I think Ruby have a decent shot.

Want: 70%
I have seen the first five volumes of RWBY so I can safely say that I enjoyed Ruby's character in the first 3 volumes. Her appearance in BBTAG in particular was endearing with her geeking out at all of the rosters' weapons. Special mention should go to Ruby's interaction with Ragna the Bloodedge. After Volume 3 though, she started to lose the traits that made Ruby so engaging. If MultiVerses bring in Ruby Rose, I want her to be in her classic appearance.

My nominations: Wiz & Boomstick (Death Battle) x10

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Anime

Chance - 51%. I think she could go either way. One of the difficult things about speculation for this game is that we have no sense of scale. This game could flop and only get a handful more characters, or blow up and get a ton. There's really no way of knowing. A RWBY rep is kinda in the middle, a very solid choice but by no means mandatory. It's popular and appeals to anime/fighting game fans. It's just up to the game to stay alive for like a year.

Want: Abstain. I literally thought RBWY was an anime, that should show you how much I care for the series. Though I do like scythes... perhaps I would like her. Or maybe she would steal the scythe slot from other scythe users. Better Abstain to be safe.

Noms: Kane x 2, Concept:"Characters with no strong Warner Bros Connection" x8.

amageish

Smash Master
Ruby Rose

Chance: 85%. So, the big thing about Multiversus that I'm unsure about right now is... What is the demographic for this game? Smash fans in general? Kids in general? Everyone? Anyone? Idk! Ruby Rose would be a good way to bring in some anime vibes while sticking to the IPs that they directly 100% own.

If the goal of Multiversus is also partly to create a sense of a unified "Warner Bros IP" line-up in the same way people associate a lot of Disney's IPs together.... then I feel like Ruby Rose is almost inevitable. RoosterTeeth is a subsidiary of Warner Bros that a lot of people don't associate with Warner Bros at all, so it'd be a good chance to solidify the connection. And while RWBY missed out on the dystopian crossover that was Space Jam 2, it has gotten to cameo in films like Doctor Sleep and Matrix Resurrections - with its role in Doctor Sleep even being a mildly important one narratively, replacing some poorly-aged Game of Thrones references present in the original Stephen King novel. So, yeah, I think Warner execs would probably be in favour of this one... but who knows how much that actually matters at the end of the day.

Want: 95%. I like RWBY. It's flawed, but it's enjoyable enough overall. Only thing that stops me from going full 100% is that there are other RWBY characters I'd rather see, so Ruby herself would primarily be a "Oh, cool, maybe we'll see Neo/Emerald/Penny one day!" thing for me.

Noms: Harvey Birdman x 5

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Ruby Rose

Chance: 65%
I think Ruby has a decent shot of making it to Multiversus. Rwby is one of the series from Rooster Teeth I am expecting to show up to Multiversus. Since Rwby has showed up in lots of collaborations including DC stuff. Plus Ruby is a pretty big character herself regarding popularity and iconic levels.

Want: 80%
I would prefer Weiss, Yang, or Neo regarding Rwby characters, but Ruby is a pretty cool character. I had fun with her in BBTag so I am pretty sure she'll have a pretty fun moveset. Plus I really love Rwby's music as well.

Nomination

Mucha Lucha rep- x3
Shana- x2

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Little Red

Chance: 70%

I think Amageish brings up some good points. The chances of these characters will depend on how you think the roster will unfold. If you ask me, I get the vibe that Warner Bros will use MultiVersus to affiliate their I.Ps with each other. If you look at the roster as it is already, we see stuff like Cartoon Network, DC, and Game of Thrones, stuff that usually isn't associated with each other. I'd wager that they probably see this as an opportunity to throw in some of their less mainstream stuff as a way to give them more popularity.

That leads us to Rooster Teeth. Seeing as Warner Bros straight up owns them it would be easy enough to include a character from their repertoire. Looking at their library, their most popular stuff is Red vs Blue, RWBY, and Death Battle. Out of those Death Battle has the least to work with since it is just a debate show using different characters from various different franchises, meaning that in order to represent the show itself they would have to put in Wiz and Boomstick who can work but would require quite a bit of creativity to make them playable. As for Red vs Blue it is the show that made Rooster Teeth successful so it's something to keep in mind. This also means Master Chief is probably eligible for this game holy ****.

Now onto RWBY. It is arguably Rooster Teeth's most popular I.P and has the advantage of being 100% owned by Warner Bros whereas if they wanted to rep Red vs Blue, Microsoft would have to be contacted which might not be a big deal but it's a factor to keep in mind. This means it's also easier for them to promote RWBY merchandise so from this perspective RWBY would be favorable to include in the company's view. What surprised me is not only did RWBY get merchandise like video games as you would expect, but also was referenced in Doctor Sleep and a Matrix movie? And it got a crossover with DC? That's very notable. Those are big titles to put something more niche in, and makes me think Warner Bros will find more ways to advertise RWBY.

Honestly, there is a lot going in RWBY's favor, and little going against it. It's true that the roster right now leans towards very popular stuff but that could just be because they are using the mainstream stuff to get that initial hype and advertising in then when they get an audience they can tap into their more niche stuff, and to be frank RWBY is right under that tier of mainstream stuff. Even if she won't appear anytime soon, her demand will grow as time goes on thanks to a very dedicated fanbase. RWBY is popular in its own right after all so eventually I think Warner Bros will give it its due.

Want: 90%

Originally I was going to abstain on this score but I became curious and did some light research on the show itself. I checked Ruby Rose's page on the RWBY wiki briefly and saw her weapon. A scythe that is also a rifle. How cool is that? So today I sat down and.....I ended up watching the show for three hours (Which is a lot for me in one day, believe it or not) until the middle of Volume 2. And now I have a new show to watch.

Man, where do I even begin? Well since this rating is based on Ruby I'll discuss her first. I think she is a very endearing protagonist. She is adorable and badass at the same time. The fact that she can be so bubbly and joke around one scene and then decapitate a giant monster in the next scene makes her an incredible character. Then you got the rest of the characters which has already grown on me. The show has a very good pace so far, balancing the small scenes with the big character development moments. The action scenes are incredible for being an online show and RWBY also delivers the best food fight scene in history. Right now I'm satisfied for tonight but I look forward to watching more and seeing how things pan out. Oh and how could I forget the music? I am in love with the opening songs, they are so beautiful. I'm not sure if MultiVersus will offer several songs or just one song per stage but I would love to get at least some tunes because they are fantastic.

So yeah, I'll definitely support Ruby and I'm hoping to use her Crescent Rose against Shaggy.

Noms: Popeye x10

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Ruby Rose said:
Of course I'm happy with Crescent Rose. I just really like seeing new ones. It's like meeting new people... but better...
Chance: 80%

RWBY is Rooster Teeth's flagship series and even after the death of original creator Monty Oum, still enjoys popularity. The show has been adapted into various manga, books, and video games, with another game coming from Wayforward and Arc System Works. It even appeared in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle alongside 6 other franchises created in Japan. Other recent films, such as Ready Player One and Doctor Sleep have referenced RWBY.

There are only 2 negatives that I can see. The first, as mentioned, is that RWBY is a bit more niche compared to the other properties in Multiversus.

The other is that, last April, articles started popping up that AT&T (who owns Warner Bros) was potentially looking to sell Rooster Teeth. If this were to happen, Rooster Teeth basically becomes hard deconfirmed for the game's lifecycle.

Want: 100%
I watched a bit of RWBY when it was new. Since then I haven't really watched the show too much though I always enjoyed the world. That said, a Scythe that turns into a gun? A teleport style ability that has team recovery potential? Now I'm really curious to see more RWBY. Easily one of my most wanted for this game.

Noms:
All to Ed, Edd, and Eddy

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
ANIME

Chance: 75%

I have very little knowledge on Ruby Rose, or RWBY in general. I've heard of it, but it's not really my cup of tea. However, I heard that some MV devs are big RWBY fans, and were even responding to posts that were supporting her. I'm not saying that's confirmation or anything, but her chances of getting in are stronger than most. However, I think she has a better chance than most "anime" characters (I know the series is from America, but it carries the style).

Want: Abstain
Like I said above, I know next to nothing about Ruby Rose. All I really know is that she weilds a gun/scythe, which sounds pretty cool. I feel I'd need to hold judgement until she's in the game and we can see what her moveset is like. I know she was featured in other fighting games in the past, so she could be pretty cool if those are any reference to what she'd play like. Though I have no real interest toward RWBY, I'm not going to knock the character until I can see what she can do.

Noms: Ben 10 x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate John Oliver, known for his HBO talk show, Last Week Tonight.

In cases like this where there ain't many options for music, I'll just list some clips instead.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
John Oliver (Last Week Tonight)

Chance: 65%

I don’t know much about John Oliver but it seems Multiversus is trying to have a diverse roster with picks from across the WB Multiverse. John Oliver seems like a wild card addition for the game. There’s no talk show hosts yet. But, I don’t think he’d be first priority.

Want: 25%
I’m not that huge into late night shows. However, John Oliver would be a funny addition to diversify the roster. He would be a support character most likely.

Noms:
Dastardly X3
The Grinch X2

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you should hear his bit about bono fighting an owl

chances: 50% part of me believes it could happen, the man himself would probably be up for it. i just dont know if theyd use real people so far the focus has been on popular characters. and while you could argue he has a media persona thats its own character its not reall that different to how he was before hand. look at the one live action character we have, ive never seen got but even i know she doesnt look like the actress who played her. (she was in dr who) but we are only at the start of this game theres no knowing where it will go so im not gonna rule it out yet. though i think we're more likely to get one of the mascots.

want: 100% it would be very funny. one idea they could use is one borrowed from capcom. back during the development of tatsunoko vs capcom they considered adding pheonix wright still at the defence's bench on caterpillar tracks. so why not have jon at his desk the whole time? hes been wheeled around on it before. a fight at a desk the whole time would be so funny. i think we can agree his ultimate attack should be blowing up 2016/2020

noms to daffy

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Chance - 10%.I don't know if other people are joking but he isn't very likely. While the leaks show that real people aren't off the table, there's a big difference between a main character from a big movie and a talk show host. There's also the potential issue of Mr. Oliver not wanting to be beat up by Superman. Besides, he doesn't have much moveset potential. He's not impossible, they could want a joke character. If he remains popular, he could even be a fan request. But as it stands, I don't think we'll be seeing him Next Week Tonight

Want: Abstain. I abstain on characters I haven't partaken in the source material of. I'm 3 for 3 on abstaining, I guess I don't watch a lot of Warner media?

Noms: Kane x5, "Concept: Not owned by Warner"( the concept I nommed yesterday) *5.

osby

Smash Obsessed
John Oliver

Chance
: Abstain
I'm not knowledgeable enough about this show to make an educated guess about its chances.

Want: 55%
I can't say this inclusion would set my world on fire, but I wouldn't be opposed to it, either. Even I heard Last Week Tonight and I'm all for unique fighters that aren't originally action-oriented. With Shaggy's moveset basically being a meme, a talk show host with weird props wouldn't be out of place. I don't think he'd be particularly visually interesting with this game's art style but that's not a big drawback.

Nominations: Lion-O x5

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Chance - 10% but subject to change
One leak suggested Kobe Bryant as an early dlc character. That would certainly open up the door to real celebrities if it happened.

Want - 80%
I won't suggest that I'd main John Oliver or anything, but I do love the show. He's witty and endearingly self-depreciating, and I could kind of see him being the Walluigi of Multiversus.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
History's second best Zazu

Chance: 10%
We don't know how many characters Multiversus will end up having, or how deep the cuts will get. Whether we'd get an actual talk show host as a character is a valid question, though real people are 100% a matter of when rather than if.

Going for him, is the fact that Oliver being in a game like this would be strangely on-brand for the show given all the wacky stunts he pulls regularly, and the man himself would likely be game. He has obvious potential as a meme pick, which is something that this game clearly values. Despite what you might think, Oliver wouldn't even be hard to make a moveset for, or pick a home stage for, or even find original music (the man likes his musical numbers). Honestly, if this game hits, I can't see a timeline in which we don't get him down the line, simply because if you're trying to promote your media stable, your late night show is probably one of the things you want known.

My support for him is two-fold. I am a fan of his show, which is funny without losing sight of spotlighting ignored real-world issues. I am also a fan of how bonkers it would be to have normal talk show man duking it out with cartoon characters and superheroes. The offbeat choices in crossovers are the best when done right, and for John Oliver something like Multiversus feels almost like a sketch he'd make up himself.

Noms: Paul Atreides x5
Agent K (Blade Runner) x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ruby Rose
Chance: 79.65%
Want: 79.23%

Very respectable scores. It's saying a lot when even the people who were ambivalent about Ruby showed a level of respect and enthusiasm towards her and RWBY being included in MultiVersus. If that's not a testament to the series' importance and popularity then I don't know what would be.

Noms List

100+

75-99

50-74

25-49

1-24
Paul Atreides x20
Popeye x20
Quan-Chi x15
Eric Andre x15
Wiz and Boomstick x15
Ben 10 x15
John Stewart x10
Numbuh 1 x10
**** Dastardly Richard x10
Gumball x10
Austin Powers x10
Eustace Bagge x10
Harvey Birdman x10
Ed, Edd, n Eddy x10
K.O x10
Concept: Characters with no strong Warner Bros connection x8
The Grinch x7
Citizen Kane x7
**** Grayson x6
Neo x5
Static x5
Daffy Duck x5
Rosey The Robot x5
John Constantine x5
Rick Sanchez x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Mucha Lucha rep x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Dio Brando x2
Shana x2
Jarro x1
Kuroyukihime x1
Maxwell x1
Jackie Chan x1

amageish

Smash Master
John Oliver

Chance: 20%. So, we got a few challenges here.

First off, we come back to the "Who is this game being made for?" question that is likely to dominate these early days of speculation. John Oliver is the host of an adult political talk show. He swears. He tells political figures and institutions to go **** themselves. While the inclusion of Game of Thrones and some of the leaked characters show this game isn't just targeting youths, I do feel like there's at least some difference between an adult action/comedy show and an adult talk show that markets itself on how many people find it dry, unfunny and boring. It's possible John just doesn't meet the criteria there.

Second off, I'm guessing John's contract didn't have a "We have the right to use your likeness for video games" clause already in it. So, while LWT is a Warner Media IP, they'd probably need to negotiate with John independently. Maybe that would matter or maybe it wouldn't matter; I don't know how John Oliver would feel about being in Multiversus. He did end his latest digital exclusive with a joke asking his staff to put him in a video game, but who knows if he'd actually want to be in Multiversus.

Thirdly, if you watch a lot of John Oliver, it is surprisingly easy to find things that could be pulled from to make a moveset for him, but idk if the developers watch a lot of John Oliver. The game director doesn't follow LWT on Twitter, which doesn't inherently matter, but he seems to have purposefully followed a lot of Warner-related things and this wasn't one of them. It's possible John would be dismissed right away, as, even in a game with Ultra Instinct Shaggy in its base roster, John Oliver may be too silly of a concept.

That said, the developers are also open about how they'll listen to fan requests, so maybe the real score that matters here is want and it just depends on how many people think John making it in would be funny. Who knows.

Want: 100%. And I do think John Oliver fighting Batman would be funny! There's good potential for quippy dialogue and interactions. I enjoy Last Week Tonight and it'd be fun to see a bunch of his stupid stunts be compiled into a trick fighting game moveset. It could be fun.

Noms: Harvey Birdman x 10

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Chance: Abstain, I don't know my thoughts on real people (not characters played by real people, I mean actual living people) getting in MultiVersus and I probably need to think about it a bit

Want: 90%, He seems fun and if he gets in it'll probably make the Impractical Jokers a real possibility

Noms: Gumball x5

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
So we're doing late night talk show hosts now.
Somehow I'm unsure about John Oliver.

Chance: 25%
John Oliver is an oddball pick since he's an actual person. The last time I recall a real person was included in a crossover fighter was Marvel vs Capcom and he was (and remains) Japan exclusive. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me. I just not sure if Warner Brothers wants to deal with that kind of red tape. I also don't watch John Oliver so I don't have a good idea of what he can do. Even if I did, based on other talk shows I have seen, I think he wouldn't have much to offer.

Want: Abstain
I already stated that I don't watch John Oliver. Because of that, I can't in good conscience put in a want score.

My Nominations: Wiz and BoomStick (Death Battle) x10

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Two first names and British so you definitely can't trust him

Chance: 30%

I'm honestly not sure on him? He's a top tier late night show host and it shows in his ratings but I'm not entirely sure if most people into late night shows are the sort that would play games much less discern between a Nintendo and a Playstation. Now granted there's a wide range of audiences here considering Game of Thrones and Steven Universe are both in (and if we consider all the background stuff in Space Jam 2 there's a lot of clashing IPs in similar ways too), but they're still places that fit squarely into still having sizable nerd fandoms alongside the intended audience. So maybe WB wouldn't think it's a good investment because the audience doesn't translate over as well. I dunno, it's a weird one all around but I do lean on the unlikelier side of things.

I haven't been able to watch him consistently but the stuff I've been able to see, even if just clips on Youtube, is very much entertaining and he's always on the mark. I'd love to see what someone could come up with for him because there's a lot you could do that'd be some of the crazier stuff in the game. He'd probably also have a really fun segment on his show about being in a fighting game and getting to beat up Superman and team up with Arya Stark so that's a plus too.

Noms:
Quan-Chi x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The man, the myth, the legend

Chance: 50%

It's been hard for me to pinpoint where his chances lay. Basically I do think John Oliver has some things going for him. His show has been successful so if Warner Bros wants to get a talk show rep, he is one of their prime candidates. Second, with the vibe that I get from John and the crazy stuff he does on the show he probably would be accepting of being in a fighting game. It suits him quite well, actually. They could totally be creative with some of the bat**** insane props and ideas from Last Week Tonight for his moveset.

But on the other hand I'm just not confident in him in general? Like I did make the argument the other day that Warner Bros is probably trying to tie their different properties together but a real, live action talk show is far different from even something like The Sopranos. I feel that the target audiences may be too far off but to be fair it's not like it's anymore of an outlandish idea than compared to say, Tom and Jerry fighting Batman. idk, depending on where Warner Bros. heads with the roster I could see someone like John Oliver easily happen or not happen.

Want: 70%

Admittedly I haven't seen a single episode but looking at the clips I think John Oliver is hilarious. He is a meme farm and if he actually accepts being in MultiVersus that will just prove how much of a chad he is.

Noms: Popeye x10

D

Deleted member

Chance- 20%
I don't think it's all that likely. Although not impossible. I think it's just too early in this game's life cycle to tell exactly how the character picks are gonna go. I don't think John being a real person would be that big an issue since we seemingly know that LeBron James is coming but it just doesn't quite feel like the sort of thing they're gonna go for. I could see him being an announcer or something. But there is always a small chance, as I said it's too early to the exactly the kinda picks they're gonna pull. There's also the factor of if he would even want to be a fighting game character, which is pretty impossible to predict.

Want - 70%

I used to watch Last Week Tonight pretty frequently but I haven't seen it in years. He's very funny and I do love when fighting games pull wacky stuff like this. There are just characters I'd want to see added first. But if they do add him I can't say I wouldn't give him a try.

Noms to Eric Andre.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
John Oliver

Chance- 1%
I have doubts Multiversus is going to have real life celebrities in the game. It seems like it might be a legal nightmare to just get him in. I don't think his chances are 0 though due to potentially on the off chance he does make it in.

Want- 0%
I am not particularly interested in late night talk shows. I don't think his potential movesets would pique my interest.

Noms
Mucha Lucha rep- x3
Dio Brando- x2

Flyboy

Smash Hero
John Oliver
Chance:
20%
With Space Jam 2, we know that WB is interested in having real life celebrities join the MultiVersus roster. That's part of what makes this whole thing so fun - we already know live-action characters are on the table. However, I'm with what others say...we don't really know yet who this game is for and what market they really want. To me, I think they would succeed and really stand out by going completely wacky and crazy and giving us "Wait, THIS character is in a FIGHTING GAME?" moments, something that John Oliver would definitely provide. But my personal opinion aside, I'm just not sure they would. Last Week Tonight is a popular show and while I've never watched a full episode I've seen some of the talk segments and funny skits, but it's still a political talk show and that feels extremely dry and something the devs or even WB themselves wouldn't even consider. When you consider the issues with celebrity likenesses as well, you get a thorny bunch of rights issues tied up with a thorny demographic and interest issue. It's all too early to truly judge, but my gut leans no here.

Want: 85%
I love nothing more than when non-fighting characters end up in fighting game crossovers. I think it's hilarious every time. Having a regular talk show host pop up with crazy talk-show and skit-themed moves would be hysterical, and you know his golden voice yelling out attack names would be a hoot. He's different from someone like Eric Andre, who is even more of a character than John Oliver, and not only is the appeal and novelty of having A Regular Guy in the game fun, it helps that his crazy moveset and creative ideas for his supporting moves are basically a guarantee, so the joke wouldn't wear off quickly either. I definitely hope to see this game get super weird picks like this - it'll really help it stand out from any other platform fighter out there.

Nominations: Austin Powers x10

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
John Oliver (Last Week Tonight)

Chance: 10%

It would be fun to speculate, but I can't see this happening in any capacity besides John Oliver making a joke that they should put him in the game on the show, and then they just don't. I've not seen a lot of his show, but I respect a lot of what John Oliver has done to bring things to light. It doesn't feel like there's enough of a crossover for this to be feasible. I mean, on the surface, this seems to be a kid's game, and I remember a teen me watching The Daily Show for his segments, and finding it fun, but the people who would play this game feels like a full couple of years off from that, I think. On top of it, while I've enjoyed it, it's a show very heavily based around news and politics, and I feel like WB will just want to dance away from the topic when it comes to their platform fighter at all costs. Do you really think if a politician came after Multiversus for deciding to feature John Oliver in their kids game that they would staunchly defend their decision and be vocal about it on social media? I don't. I think they would bend over and scrap the whole idea at the slightest hint of controversy. Furthermore, I think there's so many properties, this feels like it would be a low priority sort of character.

Want: 75%

That said, I can't lie, it would be super fun. I'm imagining something a little similar to Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom. I think this might have been more possible with someone like Conan or Colbert back in the mid-to-late 00's when they were at their most popular, but the idea of just specifically John Oliver is pretty funny. Really, even if we don't get this as a possibility, I think what I'm getting out of this is that John Oliver should have more crossovers, especially with WB franchises. Like, John Oliver in a direct-to-DVD Scooby Doo where they fight the ghost of the anti-Uncle Sam, or put him in DLC for Mortal Kombat 12. As for Multiversus, I'm game for it, but I won't be heartbroken if he can't make it in either.

Noms:
The Gilmore Girls x9 (Ice Climbers-like Duo)
Godzooky X1

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
John Oliver

Chance - 5%
. I really don’t see any chance that John Oliver would be joining the roster. I just don’t think Multiversus would go for real life people, at least for base game. Even if they did, I still just don’t see him being likely.

Want - (Abstain). I never watched John Oliver’s talk show. I do wish good luck for all the hardcore John Oliver supporters out there though.

Noms: Eustace Bagge x5

Top Bottom