• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Freddy Krueger from A Nightmare on Elm Street. Yes, we are actually doing this.

Some songs to get into the mood for nightmare fuel:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
One, two, Freddy's coming for you

Chance: 50%

This would be significantly higher had MK9 not been delisted from Steam a few years back and yes that issue does pertain to Freddy unfortunately. The film license for him reverted from WB back to Wes Craven and his estate to my understanding, but it might just be for the US rights? It's not too terribly clear but I am under the impression that they're still working with WB to try and bring the franchise back. Either way this is really his only obstacle and with MK9 still being delisted, it's a sizable one to where I think it truly is a 50/50 though I might lean towards the likelier side of things. To reiterate what's been said of other characters before, the tonal clash between Freddy and Steven Universe already exists with Arya Stark being in the game, I believe they even have a Black Lantern skin for Superman and that's him as a zombie from a pretty violent and gory event. His appearance in MK9 also means that he has worked in a fighting game before, I believe he's even in the mobile game, not that you can get him anymore.

Want: 100%

Freddy is a quintessential horror character, he's an icon of the genre and he was exceptionally fun in MK9 where he was among the top tiers and let me tell you, high level MK9 play was absolutely filthy. Like with Ruby, if he's even half as fun as he was there he'd be crazy to watch and one of my favourites in the game. I'd just hope he has more voice lines because he was notoriously quiet in MK9 and he's got some very fun and/or corny lines from his later films. When you get dumped in losers bracket, tell 'em Freddy sent ya.

Noms:
Quan-Chi x5

D

Deleted member

Five Nights at Freddys

Chance - 60%
If we get a horror film rep it's probably gonna be ol Fred. He has a lot of creative powers that would lend themselves well to a fighting game. I personally don't think Freddy being a horror film character would hinder his chances too much, we have a Game of Thrones character already and to be quite honest, the later Nightmare films are pretty silly. Freddy becomes a full on cartoon villain at some parts. There are the rights issues that have been mentioned, but I don't think we fully know what's going on there. It seems like WB may still be able to use in games. I don't think he'll be seen as a priority but I don't think it's out of the question.

Want - 90%
I'm a fan. I think ol pizza face would be incredibly fun. His dream powers would make for a super creative moveset. If they go with the classic Robert England version, which by all accounts they should, then he would have a lot of amazing one liners with the cast. He'd definitely be a character I'd try out.

Noms - Willy Wonka

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street)

Chance:
60%
It's tough...I know that his rights are less obviously owned by WB at this point, which is actually something I didn't realize had happened, but at the same time I'm sure they can find a way to get them back. And if they were able to license out Freddy, well, why wouldn't they add him? He's probably still one of the most recognizable horror movie characters ever without going back to the public domain classics or Universal monsters, and even if we haven't gotten a Nightmare movie recently people still keep hitting up Robert Englund for con appearances for a reason. I don't think his being in an R-rated franchise would be any kind of issue either, as Game of Thrones is just as bad as anything in the Nightmare movies and Arya Stark is doing just fine.

What can I say? He's one of my most-wanted. I absolutely love the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, especially the third movie. Freddy is a freaky character with some absolutely wild moveset potential due to his ability to utilize the power of dreams to shrink opponents, grow in size, pull people into portals, phase through walls, make the ground sticky...if it can happen in a nightmare, it can happen in this game. He's already been shown to have a crazy cool moveset in Mortal Kombat 9, but I think you could go even wilder with the more cartoony aesthetic of this game allowing for things like the time he became a snake creature, his fire powers, or his ability to control characters like puppets being turned into moves that allow for some freaky but still fairly comical and unique bits of action.

On top of that, man, he's just iconic! I'd love to hear Robert Englund's growl coming out of that character model as he zips around the stage and uses his lengthening arms to slash opponents. He's just that fun to have around, and I admit an official horror movie fighting game is one of my biggest wants in fighting games so yeah. Please.

Nominations: Austin Powers x10

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
If I may add two more songs to that lineup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVbaYFVUbLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUl5Ke5jbM

Are you ready for Freddy?

Freddy Kruger

Chance:
70%

I honestly want to put him higher because he is still one of the most iconic horror characters of all time, and he sells a lot in terms of merchandise. I think if you walked around polling people on his popularity, most people would say they've heard about him or know of him, even if they haven't watched the movies. While the movies aren't active, it's not like he's been completely gone from the public eye. He WAS in Mortal Kombat, and Dead by Daylight, so I actually think that raises his chances, even if he hasn't had a proper movie in over ten years at this point. However, the fact the game is aimed towards kids, and it's hard to have a marketable, kid-friendly design will be a hit, but I think the biggest thing he has going against him is that he is nowhere near WB's most profitable horror franchise anymore. A few years back, I would say he had an amazing shot, but his franchise is now secondary to WB's Conjuring series, I feel. There are plenty of options in that franchise for iconic monsters, and it would double as a way to promote WB's upcoming films, so I'm going to be cautionary and drop his chances, but overall I would say he still has a pretty good chance of getting in. I think they just need to believe people want it, or WB needs a reason to want him in.

Want: 100%.

As a horror lover whose introductory series was this, I'm biased, but I would really just love just about any and all horror-related characters that could make it in. Freddy Kruger would be fantastic, especially with the fact they are doing the same thing Mortal Kombat does where it pays attention to the lore of the original series, and finds a way to incorporate that lore with the game's lore. Maybe Mystery Inc is investigating the strange things going on with Elm Street before Shaggy got pulled into the Multiversus world. I want to see how they either bring Freddy into the real world again, or just send everyone else into a dream world. I also think you can have a lot of fun with the moves here. There's so much to pull from that the Mortal Kombat series chose not to because they were going for something a bit more grounded and not broken, but there is nothing stopping the Freddy snake from just being a side attack, or him flying up as Super Freddy. You can even make new moves tailored around the existing cast. There's just a lot of really cool opportunities with him, I think.

Noms: Zatanna x10

Last edited:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Chance - 15%. Freddy is a really complicated character for Multiversus. I am a huge fan of Freddy and the Nightmare on Elm Street series, but I can’t ignore the current legal issues. The Wes Craven Estate currently owns the US rights to the first Nightmare on Elm Street movie and the character Freddy Kruger, but it’s believed that Warner Bros only controls the international rights to Freddy Kruger. From everything that was said when the news broke out, it seems like Warner Bros didn’t even put up a fight to keep Freddy. If Warner Bros really didn’t put up a fight to keep Freddy, it’s sadly hard to believe that they would go out of their way to negotiate with the Craven Estate for Multiversus. There would probably have to be a huge and loud fan demand or if the Wes Craven Estate was currently working with Warner Bros to distribute a new Nightmare on Elm Street project internationally. From interviews not too long ago, it seems like the Wes Craven Estate wants to revive the franchise, but again, Warner Bros or Wes Craven would have to bring it up. There is a small silver lining though, there may be communication between both parties, like with Dead by Daylight still having Freddy in the game (every license in DBD has to be renewed around every two years). Another problem though is that I doubt the team working on Multiversus would be allowed in on anything involving Freddy rights, especially if both sides were communicating with one another currently. I think Freddy can definitely be in a fighting game and have an interesting moveset, just look at Mortal Kombat 9, but it just comes down to the rights issue.

Want - 100%. I absolutely LOVE Freddy Kruger and the Nightmare on Elm Street series! Freddy Kruger is probably one of the three most well-known slashers in history, he’s a huge horror icon! I have also been watching the movies since I was a child. Freddy would fit in a platform fighting game like Multiversus perfectly, in my opinion. Freddy could have unlimited moveset potential if he kept his powers from the dream world. It also wouldn’t be out of the question for Freddy to fight someone face to face, just remember Freddy vs Jason and Mortal Kombat 9. I think it would also be hilarious for Freddy Kruger to fight against foes like Superman, Bugs Bunny, and especially Ultra Instinct Shaggy. It would feel like a dream come true (no pun intended) to see Freddy interact with all those fighters. Freddy Kruger is my number one pick for a horror character in this game! He’s one of the main characters I think of that earns his own spot on the roster.

Noms: Eustace Bagge x5, Numbuh One x5

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Freddy Krueger

Chance - 10%
I have doubts that Wes Craven Estate would reach out WB for Multiversus despite Freddy being an iconic character. There is a potential chance that Multiversus may allow third parties in the game though.

Want - 30%
I like Freddy and think he is a pretty cool character. He would potentially bring cool stuff to the table for sure. Although I kind of prefer Freddy to show up in a horror game than a fighting game.

Noms
Mucha Lucha rep- x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
1,2 Freddy's coming for you....

Chance: 35%

So when it comes to horror characters, despite them being generally scary, I do think they can work. While Freddy does have an unnerving burnt face he is considerably less scary in the light and they can lean more towards his humorous incarnation in the later films to market him easier. By having him crack jokes and removing any blood it's much easier to imagine him fighting people like Steven Universe. So even though I do have some doubts at the back of my mind, Freddy could happen. Also, even if Warner Bros. needs to negotiate with Wes Craven's estate that shouldn't be a problem unless if they are really stingy or something.

However, what drops this score considerably is competition. Keep in mind that Warner Bros does own the Conjuring Universe as well as Pennywise. While Freddy has seniority over those two, the latter seem to be more popular with today's young horror fans so that's something to consider. I will say though that Freddy does offer more moveset potential and him being in Mortal Kombat 9 helps out too.

Want: 90%

Putting aside my skepticism, I am a huge horror fan and thus I would love for there to be any horror representation. While I am more of a Jason and Michael fan, Freddy is awesome as well. Robert Englund sells the character with his voice and humor. Freddy is such a fun character despite him killing off likeable characters and he has enough dream powers to make multiple movesets. He can turn into a worm creature thing, slash his enemies, summon a furnace to throw his enemies into, he can give them all kinds of weird conditions and debuffs, and elongate his limbs. Seeing him fight Steven Universe and Harley Quinn would be a trip to see.

Noms: Popeye x10

Calcs coming soon-ish

amageish

Smash Master
Kentucky-Fried Wolverine

Chance: 75%. I feel like I'm opening every rating with a variation of the same three sentences, but continues to be relevant, so let's go! The big questions up in the air are still "Who is this game meant for" and "What does Warner hope to gain by making this game"... There are some demographics who probably wouldn't care about Freddy, but the roster thus far is fairly splattershot anyway. Wes Craven has retained Freddy's rights, so it isn't the same sort of "Let's show off all the IPs we own!" distinction that the others have, but it could be characters like Freddy that the developers were thinking of when they indicated anything is on the table.

Now, Freddy is a big famous spooky horror character, but I think decades in pop culture has made him be a very marketable and safe choice for a crossover game like this, honestly. Reminder that Alex DeLarge was in Space Jam 2 - a character from a dark film who doesn't have the same level of "parodied by random cartoons for their Halloween episodes" as Freddy. He is very scary and can be incredibly violent, but it also shouldn't be too hard to lean into his cheeser aspects.

Overall, he's big enough and assoicated enough with Warner that my impulse is that he's pretty likely.

Want: Abstain. Freddy is a big deal from an IP I know little about and is therefore in the camp of "Characters who would make me go 'Ah, that makes sense' and feel nothing else." I don't especially care either way, but don't wanna drag down his want score with my apathy.

Noms: Harvey Birdman x 5

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street)

Chance: 60%

I think Freddy has a fair shot at joining MultiVersus. He’s a fairly iconic character from the horror movie genre and we still need a horror movie rep. MultiVersus is focusing on the diversity of Warner Bros‘s IPs and Freddy Krueger is perfect to throw into the mix as horror movies still need to be represented in the game. However, we still need to know about who MultiVersus is going to be aimed towards and how botched violent characters like Freddy Krueger will turn out to be. Although, the licensing for the movie can be a little confusing.

The Wes Craven Estate I believe owns Freddy Krueger now. Thus, this may bog down Freddy’s chances. However, WB still owns the brand internationally but that may not be enough to suffice. This is what caused Mortal Kombat IX to be pulled digitally but he’s got moveset potential.

I have a best friend in real life who’s a horror head. I like the genre (not obsessed with it) and I feel Freddy Krueger is definitely deserving of a spot. Given the zany crossover nature of MultiVersus, I’d love to see him fight against Bugs Bunny, Batman and Arya Stark. Even though there are licensing hurdles, the directors of MultiVersus have stated that third party characters may be eligible. So maybe, the devs may work something out with the Wes Craven Estate overall.

Nominations
**** (Richard) Dastardly X5
The Grinch X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
FREDDY™ IS COMING

Chance: 70%
Freddy Krueger is a horror movie legend and one of the most iconic characters in fiction, created by the horror maestro that is Wes Craven. Nightmare on Elm Street is a franchise that isn't scared to reinvent itself, from the played-straight original to the more adventurous third entry to the meta New Nightmare.

I doubt content is an issue. You remove Freddy from his context and he's just some old dude in a Christmas sweater with Wolverine claws. No kid or rating board will find issue with that. It's worth pointing out that Freddy himself is a pretty jokey character and, like any horror character, can be played for comedy easy, which is likely what'd go down here.

Frankly, the only reason this isn't a 100% is because of the rights issues. Which I just found out existed. That's probably the only thing that could keep Freddy out but I doubt it'll keep them from asking. Also, I want to make a distinction regarding WB's intent with this game. The goal is not to show off what they own, necessarily, but rather what they can get the rights to. This is a giant, walking ad for HBO Max, just like Space Jam 2 wants, and that accounts for some leeway (as in, while WB doesn't own the rights to Nightmare, they own international distribution rights so a new movie can't be made without them, and Nightmare movies are likely hosted on HBO Max outside the US; that's the connection WB wants you to make).

It's Freddy freaking Krueger, need I say more?

Noms: Paul Atreides x5
Agent K x5

KillerCage

Smash Master
HERE'S FREDDY!

Chance: 40%

I would say Freddy Kruegur has a decent shot, but there are multiple issues holding him back. My primary concern is his relevancy. The last Nightmare on Elm Street film was that 2011 (I think) remake and I recall it not being received well. Yes Freddy was in Mortal Kombat 9, but that was a promotion for that remake. I wasn't aware of the legal issues regarding the franchice, but that hampers his chances. He also has competition from other horror icons. I would say Jason Voorhees is possible, but he is also in legal shenanigans.

Want: 55%

I am mostly neutral on Freddy mainly because I don't slasher films. The only films I have seen are Alien movies, The Mist, and John Carpenter's The Thing.
However if I were to eventually watch a slasher, it would be Nightmare on Elm Street and it's because of Freddy. That's why I gave out that extra 5 percent.

Nominations: Wiz and Boomstick (Death Battle) x10

Last edited:

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
Expect: 80%. This is the first time I'm hearing about licensing issues, but as others said before, it may or may not be a problem. MK9, which had him as a guest character, was delisted. However, DBD recently removed Demogorgon from Stranger Things when their license expired, and yet, they still have Freddy as a guest in their game to this day. Freddy's a horror icon, and I know for a fact that if you live in America during October, you're gonna see him at least once, whether it's a clip on TV or merchandise at a store. We'll just have to wait and see.

Want: 100%. He's an icon, he's been in games as a guest before, and there's no limit to his moveset when you look at his movies. I'm a slasher movie buff, so I may be a little biased, but you can't deny people know who he is, even among those who hate scary movies. I would like to add that he appeared in the Freddy Funko show, being kid-friendly creepy like in your typical kids Halloween special.

Nominations: Wiz and Boomstick x5
Snow Miser x5

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
"Are you ready for FREDDY?"

Chance: 55%

Freddy is a horror movie icon, and is instantly recognizable. But like many other users said, he has licenseing issues he needs to get past before being considered. However, I don't think a lack of relevancy is a problem that Freddy has. Freddy is one of the greats of slasher movie villains, being up there with Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees in terms of recognizability. Plus, another thing Freddy has going for him is that he has a ton of personality, something that translates well to crossover games.

Want: 65%
Even though I'd much prefer more sci-fi horror monsters like Xenomorphs or a Predator, Freddy is definitely a character that'd be interesting to see. I'd prefer him over Michael or Jason simply because of his moveset potential. Being a dream demon, Freddy can shapeshift his body in verious ways to frighten/kill his victims. These shapeshifting abilities would be perfect for a game like Multiversus. Of course, like with potential Mortal Kombat characters, the MV devs would probably have to tone down the gore aspect, but I feel like Freddy is one of those slasher movie villains who can get away with not being gory while still being faithful to his character.

Noms: Ben 10 x10

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
(This is my first post in these threads, so I hope this is okay!)

Expect: 85%. I think that Freddy Kreuger would be a genuinely brilliant horror rep, and having seen him in MultiVersus seems like a genuinely obvious pick given his nature as one of the single most famous horror characters in history. The problem is, being a horror character, his source material might not be particularly suitable for the age rating that MultiVersus will likely have - and I'm unsure how WB would feel about someone like Bugs Bunny or Steven Universe going up against Freddy for various reasons, such as lore and simply the nature of his source material, given that he's a serial killer of children.

Even so, I think it's plausible to remove him from the context of his source material and give him a scary vibe, whilst not making him too bloody or something like that (think a similar sort of aura to Ridley in Smash - terrifying, but not unsafe for kids.) I'm sure you could easily make him creepy and family friendly all at once with a bit of imagination, and taking some liberties with his various abilities could work quite well. The main problem here arises when you consider licensing, but even then, WB wants to promote HBO Max (kinda like Space Jam 2!) and, well, Nightmare on Elm Street is right there. Freddy represents an entire genre of the content that they provide, but more importantly, that their platform provides. It's for these reasons I think Freddy is a more plausible pick than many might think at first glance. He might need a little tinkering with to make him family-friendly, but overall he'd represent an important part of WB.

Want: 70%.
I think Freddy would work wonders here as a playable character. He has reams of moveset potential, given his nature as a dream demon, and he's also a pretty good way to represent horror as a whole. The problem in my case is that I don't have much of a personal connection to Nightmare on Elm Street and would personally suggest alternative horror reps (most likely Pennywise, from IT, but a shoutout goes to the Xenomorph), but at the same time, I recognise Freddy is a genuinely good pick to represent horror as a whole. Not only this, but it'll give a nice vibe to the roster overall, giving a unique aura to him that other characters might not necessarily have... and to be honest a creepy vibe would be cool to have, hence why it's not 50%.

Nominations: Ben 10, x10 (completely personal choice hehe)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
doctor destiny

chances: 50% it seems reasonably likely. so far the roster is going for big names and as far as im aware he fits that. i also dont think a clash of tones is going to be a problem causing going by the original leak thtas already happening. plus batmans in it they try really hard to be dark and edgy at times it makes the stories hard to enjoy. so having a dream murderer in the game isnt going to be that weird. i think the DC characters have their own dream murders to deal with anyway.

want: 0% i don't do horror. nothing about this character appeals to me and i'd think it'd be a bit of a waste to include him. again going by the original leak (that i know of) that's already happened as well.

noms to daffy

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
John Oliver
Chance: 23.29%
Want: 73.21%

John is now our first beloved underdog.

Noms list

100+

75-99

50-74

25-49
Popeye x30
Paul Atreides x25
Eric Andre x25

1-24
Harvey Birdman x20
Wiz and Boomstick x20
Quan-Chi x20
Austin Powers x20
Ben 10 x15
Daffy Duck x15
Gumball x15
Eustace Bagge x15
K.O x15
**** Dastardly Richard x13
Concept: Characters with no strong Warner Bros connection x13
John Stewart x10
Numbuh 1 x10
Ed, Edd, n Eddy x10
The Grinch x9
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Mucha Lucha rep x8
Citizen Kane x7
**** Grayson x6
Neo x5
Static x5
Rosey The Robot x5
John Constantine x5
Rick Sanchez x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
Agent K x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Dio Brando x4
Shana x2
Jarro x1
Kuroyukihime x1
Maxwell x1
Jackie Chan x1
Godzooky x1

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Chance: Abstain, I admittedly know nothing of these legal rights I'm now hearing about. I would've gave him an 80% but now I'm uncertain and can't find much info on the whole thing.

Want: 100%, adding Freddy would be really cool imo. He's an icon that I feel would transition into MultiVersus easy because of his personality, he has cool moveset potential, and would be great genre diversity being a horror character.

Noms: Gumball x5

osby

Smash Obsessed
Freddy Krueger

Chance
: 75%
I think MultiVersus is fairly open to characters from M-rated franchises and Freddy has the star power to make it in. In the case we get any horror characters, I think he's on the short-list, seeing how he appeared in family-friendly media with significant roles before. He can also work well in a fighting game. However, there are a few things holding him back like the lack of current relevancy of his series and the murky copyright issues.

Want: 60%
Freddy seems like he could be a fun fighter but he's one of those characters I respect more than I like. Slasher movies don't really interest me but I enjoy how A Nightmare on Elm Street sets itself apart from the dream world stuff. I'd also like to see him being comically funny with this game's art direction, something I can't tell for a lot of other horror characters.

Nominations: John Constantine x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Chance: 60%. Freddy Kreuger is an icon of horror, and given this game's large variety a Horror movie rep is hardly an impossibility. There's a reboot in the works, so he's also a promotional rep. He has a decent moveset base, being a claw fighter, so that aspect is accounted for as well. That being said, there's a bit of a rights issue. If they weren't there, he'd be somewhere between 80 and 90, but the mixed rights complicate things. That being said, I think third parties are totally allowed, it comes down to how easy they would be to work with. Apparently the estate isn't too hard to work with, and therefore probably wouldn't ask for too much money. It'd be worth it to get a popular character like him in.

Want: Abstain. I'm a coward. I can't do horror, at least not the kind of horror I imagine the Elm Street movies have. Existential mind-boggling horror? I like that. Ugly guy who kills people? Dear god no. I'd be a little disappointed if he was to be in, but it is what it is.

Noms: the concept x8, Kane x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Joker from the DC Universe.

Some songs to get into the clown mood:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Joker (DC Comics)

Chance: 100%

I’m going to be really bold here and give Joker a perfect 100%. Why’s that? Joker is one of THE most iconic supervillains out there in comics as well as probably the most popular DC villain. The character even received his own solo movie in 2019. Also, Joker is playable in both Injustice titles. He definitely has moveset potential. Plus, the fact Harley Quinn is on the roster means Joker should join as well. What’s a Harley Quinn without a Joker anyway?

Even though DC is currently the highest represented franchise on the roster, Joker is a must for me. We need more villains on the roster and Batman needs to find his arch nemesis. He’s already got some stuff for a moveset. He can have the different incarnations as alternate costumes. Also, since the game loves memes, hopefully we’ll get some reference to the interview seen from the 2019 movie, Joker. Overall, a must have for me.

Noms
**** (Richard) Dastardly x5
The Grinch x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chance - 100%
It's happening. The clown Prince of Crime will absolutely be on this roster. No two sense about it. If he doesn't make base then he will be an early DLC character. Joker is an extremely iconic pop culture character. He 's also just off the back of an Oscar nominated movie. Warner simply cannot resist throwing him in things. He was a guest in Mortal Kombat, he appears in pretty much every DC game and a lot of the cartoons, even in Arkham Knight and Injustice 2 when he was dead, and he's roumroed to be appearing in the upcoming Batman film in some capacity. He's coming.

Want 98% - Dispite thinking that he's a little overused, it's hard not to like the Joker. He's an evil clown, there's something inherently cool and funny about him. And I do think they could give him a fun moveset with his various weapons and pranks. And the alternate costume potential is off the charts. I'd like to see them do some other DC characters first since we have two Batman representatives as is (though Harley is arguably her own franchise at this point), but the Joker is kind of a must have for a Warner Bros roster imo.

Noms to Willy Wonka

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Joker

Chance
: 95%
The only thing that can potentially hold Joker back is Batman already having two characters and one of them being Harley, which really isn't a big drawback. DC has a lot of potential characters but Joker will always be one of the biggest villains in terms of popularity. While not the to extend of some other Gotham bad guys, he's definitely not hurting for moveset potential. Having an (in?)famous movie recently doesn't hurt, either. I think pretty the only question about him is which look they'll be going for.

Want: 70%
Admittedly, a lot of Joker's most popular portrayals don't do much for me. I prefer Penguin and Gotham Sirens over him on any given day. That being said, I have to admit, he's still a huge deal and not a character I'm opposed to. Having him on the roster has a lot of fun match-up potential, especially if we get Pennywise later down the line. He's not someone I'd actively root for but he'd be a welcome addition, just maybe after a few more interesting fighters from DC.

Nominations: John Constantine x5
Rosie the Robot x5

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Society

Bottom Text

It's the Joker (baby). There is no scenario where he isn't eventually added. He's the most iconic comic book villain, has several defining runs and stories including Killing Joke and has several fighting game appearances to his name on top of a film of his own to make up for whatever the **** Jared Leto's one was and also the fact it was Jared Leto.

He's an exceptionally fun villain and with all the shenanigans he gets up to, his movesets are typically really fun on top of some fun voice lines. Here's hoping for Mark Hamill voicing a BTAS skin and John DiMaggio on a original Red Hood skin. I can't blame people if they feel a little overexposure to him though because he definitely is used a bit much and I'd take Deathstroke and Darkseid over him.

Noms:
All on Quan-Chi

(telling people if they get extra noms would be helpful albeit extra work on top of calculating scores so I understand)

Oshawott777

Smash Cadet
Expect: 100%. He's DC's most well-known villain, everyone knows who the Joker is. Moving on.

Want: Abstain. I don't have a particular attachment to him.

Noms: everything I have on Wiz and Boomstick.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
put on a happy face

chances: 99.99% im surprised hes not been revealed yet. joker is not only the most popular batman villain but the most popular DC villain. much like with sephiroth and cloud you cant expect batman to be in something for too long before the joker turns up. this is perhaps the only character i could see as a guarantee, besides the two from the leak that revealed the game.

want: 25% there lots of other characters id prefer. not that ive got anything against him theres just other dc and batman characters id rather even. even then nearly every dc crossover ends up with more batman characters than anything else and it gets tedious. plus im not as in to dc as i used to be what with the rebooting every few years and a real sense that the writers weren't talking to each other.

noms to daffy

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
We live in a society

Chance: 99%
Presuming this game doesn't crash and burn, he's guaranteed to be included eventually. He's the DC villain, heck, he's basically the quintessential comic book villain. He's iconic, he's ubiquitous, any project with a Batman has its Joker. He's one of two fictional characters to win several actors an Oscar for playing him, and the other is freaking Don Corleone, so we're not just dealing with a character with the approval of geeks; the Joker has mass appeal and critical acclaim the way few fan-focused entities do. Mark Hamill would definitely be game for this btw

It would be stupid not to have him

Noms: Agent K x5

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
"Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Chances: 95%. I feel like the Joker is, by far, one of the most logical characters to add... depending on exactly how many characters we actually see in MultiVersus. If we see roughly 15, it begs the honest question as to whether he'd be base roster... but he'd be a logical pick to add in later patches. Whilst I recognise there's some DC characters that might be more popular, having the Big Three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) and a currently popular character with younger audiences (Harley Quinn) works well, and introducing Joker is more of a fan thing. Even so, he's a logical villain to have, considering the aforementioned Harley isn't really considered much of a villain anymore.

Whilst some might say there'll wind up being DC bias, I think it's somewhat reasonable. You have to consider, DC is arguably one of WB's largest properties in terms of general appeal - Cartoon Network, for instance, is only going to have a somewhat limited audience in comparison to the intense recognisability of the Joker. Even so... a small part of me feels it's reasonable to presume that we may well be seeing Robin before him, specifically in his Teen Titans Go!! design. Whilst it's not set in stone, the series has been consistantly popular for some time now, and I'm sure even the MultiVersus devs would recognise Batman bias... but it's such a small point that it's pretty much inconcivable that Joker wouldn't make it at some point, base roster or otherwise.

Want: 70%. I feel like whilst the Joker has, of course, a lot of potential, and would be an obvious pick to have, I'm kind of apathetic to it. The reveal would probably leave me at an "ah, neat." more than anything, and not necessarily as shocked personally as with some picks like Space Ghost or Rex Salazar. Looking at his appearances in games like Injustice and MK11, as well as weirder titles like the LEGO games, he seems like he'd be cool to see in a wackier game like this. He's logical, and makes a lot of sense to be here... but I'd be kinda apathetic simply because of how obvious he is, as well as my own lack of a personal connection to the character compared to, say, my nostalgia for Ben 10 or my love for The Eric Andre Show or something.

Noms: Ben 10 (any iteration, feel free to discuss!) x10

amageish

Smash Master
Joker

Chance: 99%. I could see him missing the base roster, as I wouldn't be too surprised if this game had a focus on constantly adding new characters and therefore kinda held back at the start (similar to how, say, Pokemon Unite was adding new characters in weeks 2 and 3 after launch), but there isn't a reason to exclude the Joker. He's famous. He's popular. He has been in both adult and child-friendly media. He's a meme. Provided the game doesn't die immediately after launch, he will be in the game and the big question is what versions of him they choose to include.

Want: Abstain. Another character so big and obvious that to say I "want" them would feel hyperbolic haha. I do think it'd be funny if Smash adds Joker, NASB adds Joker, and Multiversus adds Joker though.

Noms: Harvey Birdman - x5

PuyoWitch

Smash Apprentice
Joker

Chance - 100%

Let's not kid ourselves. They may wait a little bit longer to reveal him, but he is getting in the base roster. I'd even say that he is probably going to be one of the biggest faces on all the promotional stuff for the game once we get closer to the launch date. The funny clown man sells too much merchandise for MultiVersus to not include him. He is to Warner Bros as Frozen is to Disney. We're going to see him in everything until the general public gets sick of him.

Want - 55%

I'm very familiar with the Joker, but I don't think this pick is for me. I'm torn because I think the memes of the jokin' man are fun, but it's really hard to be excited for The Joker. He's not really an out of nowhere pick, so he's really just not really super fun to talk about. I'm not Batman's biggest fan, but I do really like Barbara Gordon, Poison Ivy, The Penguin, and a bunch of other characters, and I do love DC Comics. Truthfully, I think the most fun I would have is looking at the alternate costumes and seeing if they have stuff like Ceasar Romero Joker or a version clearly based on one of the animated series.

Nominations: Zatanna x5
Fred Flintstone x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Let me get this straight, you think Joker is a near lock?"

"I do, and I'm tired of pretending he's not."

Chance: 90%

Joker has everything you would want in a candidate. He is iconic, has his own critically acclaimed film (as well as starred in one of the biggest trilogies in recent times and one of the best animated series of all time, Batman: The Animated Series, the list goes on), and is pretty much the quintessential DC villain (And probably one of the best villain of all time). There isn't much new I can add, he's an obvious pick. Yes, DC already has 4 characters but keep in mind it's one of Warner Bros. biggest IPs and assuming we get a good amount of characters in the future, he's basically a guarantee. As long as the game doesn't end up a disaster, I'm extremely confident he's in. There's no reason for him not to appear in this game.

Want: 75%

Since Joker is one of the most obvious picks and we already have Batman and Harley Quinn, he wouldn't be that hype to me. But still, it's Joker. He deserves to be in the game and his moveset would be hilarious like in Injustice and Mortal Kombat. Plus I've been watching the DC animated films recently so I've gained an even better appreciation of the franchise and Joker, even more so than when I played the Arkham games which are awesome. Overall, Joker is not one of my most wanted, but he's a pick I can respect.

Noms: Popeye x10

Noms:
All on Quan-Chi

(telling people if they get extra noms would be helpful albeit extra work on top of calculating scores so I understand)
If you want to, you can just do what you did and write "all on (character)" or "(character) xMax". But an easy way to know if you earned any extra noms is by simply counting if you have 10 full sentences in total. You can PM me if there is something you are confused about, but I set up the noms system as easy as possible. The only thing to keep in mind is I don't count sentences that pretty much repeat the same thing, to avoid sentence inflation. I'm quite lax on this though and it's a case by case thing.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace

Comparing my scores to others makes me think I might be overestimating how much MultiVersus will do (I've been expecting at least 5 years of support with a somewhat frequent character drop of around once every 1.5 months) yet even if I tried being more pessimistic I can't possibly imagine Joker missing out.

The only thing holding him back is that Batman has two reps already. Wait, no it's not, the Batman series is absolutely iconic and is one of Warner Bros. best selling series. The Batman series is so good (in terms of popularity, content potential, and sales) that I don't even think expecting both Robin and Joker is unrealistic. But going back on main topic, the Joker is one of the (if not the) most recognizable supervillains of all time, has moveset potential, has marketability and lots of options for costumes, and would still be really fun for a crossover like this.

The only scenario where I don't see Joker coming is if he was planned for DLC and the game flops dramatically, like not even one person downloaded bad, and the game gets stopped immediately, however I don't think that's possible for a game this hyped up with the budget I think this game has. Joker has the entire universe going in his favor for him to get in, I don't think a leaked character has more of a lock than him.

Brought down a bit because I'm certain the character will come making it less surprising, but it's still the Joker, he's still a fun villain and would be great for the game. I know there are other DC or even Batman characters that could also get in, but the game now doesn't have many villain reps and Joker is still great so I don't mind if he gets in over Robin or another Superhero, and Joker is one of the few supervillains I actively like (I don't hate most supervillains I just feel indifferent towards them, but Joker I like). Plus we already have Harley, Joker just makes too much sense.

Noms: Gumball x10

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
You'll never see it coming!
Wait, this is not Persona 5 Joker!

Chance: 90%

We already have Batman in the roster. It would odd to not see Joker not fight him. After all Joker is the only comic book character who has won two Oscars.
I only hesitate giving a full 100% due to Harley Quinn being in the roster and not wanting to overload it with DC Comic characters.

Want: 70%

I am a casual fan of the Joker. He's easily the most recognizable DC villian with fantastic performances from Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger. This recognition is a double-edge sword. The Batman and Joker brand is so popular that it either overshadows other DC properties or forces Batman characters into these properties. Either way, it's burning me out on Batman material. Say what you want about the MCU and its formula, but at least we see different heroes get the spotlight and not dragged by being forced to contend with a more popular character.

Nominations: Wiz and Boomstick (Death Battle) x10

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Joker

Chance- 85%
Due to Harley and Batman being in I feel like Joker is practically a shoo-in at this point. I think he could be either a base roster pick or a DLC pick. I hesitate to give him 100% due to the possibility of Joker not making it.

Want- 25%
I am not too big on DC comics in general and not too fond of Joker himself. Due to his iconic status regarding to comic books and animation, it is kind of hard to loathe his inclusion.

Noms
Mucha Lucha rep- x4
Kuroyukihime- x1

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Chance - 5%. I mean Atlus loves shilling Persona 5, but Multiversus is pretty America centri- oh, the other Joker

Chance - 99% (but only a 30% chance for the base roster). He's basically a lock. Save for maybe Thanos, he's the most iconic comic book villain of all time. He has his own movie, and given his close ties to Batman I have no doubt we'll see him on the big screen again very, very soon. That being said, I don't think he's going to be on the base roster. The way I see DC is that it's one of the key "branches" of this game, on the level of say Cartoon Network or Hanna-Barbera. It's sub-series can be compared to individual series, like Steven Universe or Game of Thrones. We already have two characters from the Batman "series", Batman and Harley Quinn. Adding Joker might be over-representing that series, so I can see them holding off. And if the game is a complete flop (which I don't think is very likely), they might not have time to add the Joker. He also has a bit of competition with other Gotham characters, seeing as Robin is equally iconic and could be a Teen Titans rep. They might even add Batgirl ahead of her new movie (though she could easily be a Batman clone). All 3 of those characters deserve to be in... and it's pretty likely we get all of them. Batman is one of the biggest icons in Warner's toolbox, they better take advantage of it.

Want: 60%. Hey, I'm not abstaining! That's new. Anyways, I'm much more of a Marvel fan, but I don't dislike DC or anything. Joker's an interesting character, and would be cool to have in a fighting game.

Noms: Concept x8, Kane x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Freddy Krueger
Chance: 55.88%
Want: 78.75%

The chance score is about what you would expect. But that want score, man. Freddy was close to the top, but Ruby Rose still beat him by less than one percent.

Noms list

100+

75-99

50-74

25-49
Popeye x40
Ben 10 x35
Wiz and Boomstick x33
Austin Powers x30
Paul Atreides x30
Eric Andre x25
Quan-Chi x25
Harvey Birdman x25

1-24
Concept: Characters with no strong Warner Bros connection x21
Eustace Bagge x20
Daffy Duck x20
Gumball x20
**** Dastardly Richard x18
K.O x15
Numbuh 1 x15
The Grinch x14
Mucha Lucha rep x13
John Stewart x10
Ed, Edd, n Eddy x10
Willy Wonka x10
Zatanna x10
Agent K x10
John Constantine x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Citizen Kane x9
**** Grayson x6
Neo x5
Static x5
Rosey The Robot x5
Rick Sanchez x5
Osmosis Jones x5
Lion-O x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Dio Brando x4
Shana x2
Snow Miser x2
Jarro x1
Kuroyukihime x1
Maxwell x1
Jackie Chan x1
Godzooky x1

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Joker

One of the most iconic fictional villains of all time and we already have DC/Batman onboard. Since we already have Harley then I see no reason why they wouldn't add Joker.

Hilarious, iconic, and just an always enjoyable character. It'd be really hard for them to mess this up.

Nominations:
Numbuh 1 x5

Top Bottom