• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
"All he ever wanted out of life... was love. That's the tragedy of Charles Foster Kane. You see, he just didn't have any to give."

Chance: 23%
Charlie Kane is an interesting character to consider. The title character of the oft-called greatest movie of all time, portrayed by one of cinema's all-time visionaries Orson Welles, Kane should be a character anyone would want to parade around. The story is well known: Welles was an outsider to Hollywood, breaking rules he didn't even know existed; Kane was a brutal commentary on William Randolph Hearst, the media mogul of the time, who took it personally and made it his mission to stop the movie from succeeding by all means necessary; it infamously lost Best Picture, with its trophy going to How Green Was My Valley (a film that, might I add, is frankly quite bad, irrespective of comparison's to Welles' opus). The legend is likely better known than the plot of the film itself, and, like most classics, it's likely discussed more than seen nowadays.

I don't know, taking that into account, if I were WB I'd go around life doing the corporate equivalent of wearing a Citizen Kane t-shirt everywhere. Yet Warner's has historically been more reserved. Sure, there aren't many ways to prop it up nowadays; it's not like you can suddenly turn it into a franchise. Still, in today's IP dominated era, studios are doing everything they can to leverage everything they own, no matter how big, old, or prestigious it is (see how Paramount is "bringing back" The Godfather through their show The Offer, an apocryphal fictionalization of its making-of).

Citizen Kane doesn't need to be popular with today's audiences to be a big deal; everyone knows it. Kane getting added would be a huge deal for the game (picture the headlines: "MultiVersus is now the Citizen Kane of platform fighters - literally!" It sells itself) and it would also serve as a reminder to cinephiles everywhere that to watch Citizen Kane - along with the entire RKO Pictures and Turner Classic Media libraries - you need only subscribe to HBO Max. To anyone who's left Netflix because of the lack of legacy content, that's a big deal.

So, that's why it would happen. But will it? Ehhh, there are some reasons against it. There would probably be likeness agreements to sort out, and Welles' family might not be too fond of the idea of their ancestor fighting Rick Sanchez. He is also a regular man, although I love the concept ᑐᑌᑎᑕ ᑐᑌᑎᑕ proposed. It's worth pointing out that Space Jam 2 contained no references to Citizen Kane, despite some deep cuts from the library, and its black-and-white world was based on Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon, two hardboiled Bogie flicks that might translate smoother to the fighter genre. But the most important point against his inclusion is the one that turns all the positives into negatives: that Citizen Kane is simply too prestigious, and including it in the funny fighter with UI Shaggy and cosmetic microtransactions would be disrespectful to one of cinema's masterpieces.

... I'm not sure I even disagree with that last one. But I'm erring on the side of optimism right now and feeling like he has a solid shot. After all, in his own words: "There's only one person in the world who decides what I'm going to do, and that's me." If Kane wants to run a newspaper, or run for governor, or run down Tom & Jerry with his sled, then run he will, dammit.

Want: 95%
What is there to say about the man who had everything and nothing, about the movie called the greatest ever? Well, for one, that I agree. But really, it's all been said: Welles, Mank, Toland, Rosebud, Xanadu, deep focus, the enigmatic and unreliable narrative, the incisive (condemning?) view of the American Dream, politics, wealth, the media, love, friendship, death and loss... It's all there, you've either seen Citizen Kane or you'll put it off until, like Kane himself, you're old and regretful and too late to make amends.

This section is moreso me grappling with whether I would want Kane in MultiVersus to happen. I do the writeups before the scores (and have been known to forget them altogether), so this is an exercise in convincing myself as much as you. And frankly... I would like for WB to promote Kane more (and classic films in general). I find it to be at the crossroads of many issues. Of course it's cliche (yet true) to say Kane is still relevant and that its themes resonate with modernity's own issues; that's what makes it a classic. Still, when a former president admits to identifying with Kane, it's worth putting the film in front of people's eyes so they can see what that means. We're also seeing a trend towards the internationalization of movies, with subbed works becoming more and more mainstream (see: Parasite, Squid Game); why not normalize black-and-white in the same manner? Many complain about the death of the adult movie in the face of superheroes and other franchises; why not fight back by propping up classic films that young people today would enjoy?

At the end of the day, if you put something on a pedestal, it'll be too high up for people to appreciate it; you can put Citizen Kane on display in a museum, where people can't lay a hand on it — or you can bring it down to Earth, so that people actually keep engaging with it. Its reputation will outlive us all, it can withstand people actually seeing the movie and talking about it in a modern context (if anything, it might be enriched by it). So I guess what I'm saying is, it's on Warner to make Citizen Kane cool, and everyone - the movie, its owners, and the people who are introduced to it - would benefit. People today are spoiled for choice, constantly bombarded with content new and old and in between. Things just don't stand out on their own, they need relevance, and MultiVersus is relevance. If MultiVersus gets people to watch the greatest movie of all time, I think we can all take the embarrassment of watching good ol' Charlie Kane tank a pie in the face.

Plus it'd be funny.

Noms: Bilbo
It's interesting. Bilbo actually predates Kane by 4 years, yet feels way likelier. Goes to show how franchise potential, not age, makes all the difference for studios.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rosebud

Chance - 1%
Citizen Kane is a well known and classic peice of art, often regarded as one of, if not the, greatest film of all time. It's almost impossible to have a discussion about the all time great films without it coming up. Kane is portrayed by iconic actor and director Orson Wells. The issue is: Who is this game for? How many kids who play this game for the DC heroes or the cartoon characters will be than interested in a black and white movie from 1941. Kane also isn't exactly a fighter. They'd have to get real crative, and at that point I'd prefer they put those resources into someone else. There's also the issue of Kane being played by a deceased person. Would his estate really sign off on him fighting Batman and Tom and Jerry? For what it's worth I've seen parodies of Wells pop up everywhere, but a fighting game is another matter. I feel that, personally, if we where to get a character who represents classic Black and White cinema, they may be slightly more likely to go with a character such as Casablanca's Rick Blane, who while still fairly unlikely, does have some WB crossover history with the film playing a part in Space Jam: A New Legacy. In a world where Ultra Instinct Shaggy and Hugh Neutron got in platform fighters on the back of memes, I can't say this is impossible. But I still don't think it very likely at at all.

Want - 20%
Now don't get me wrong. Dispite my low rating above, I'm not one of those who will turn around and tell you that Citizen Kane is actually overrated. Because the truth is that it is a real classic. Plus Wells was the coolest. But I'm not sure if it's exactly my most wanted property for a crossover fighting game. I guess if they could find an interesting moveset for Kane. The bizzarensss of his inclusion would be so huge that I can't give him too low a rating.

Noms to Beetlejucie

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Charles Foster Kane (Citizen Kane)

Chance:
5%
Long time no post! Sorry, my head's just not been in the game. I almost tossed in a post on the Accel World day but missed my shot. What a character to bring me back. Anyway, I'm going to echo every other writeup here, because what can you do? Citizen Kane is massively influential, a film that has been dissected and studied to death. It's given us legendary images, like the clapping or the posing in front of the poster or the protagonist bathed in light, techniques to show senses of scale and raw emotion that had never been done before. However, outside of being famous in pop culture and ripe for parody, it's almost attained a mythic status that makes people put it on a pedestal and also makes it tough to reference in the modern day (outside of the aforementioned applause). It's such a strange place for a film to be - widely recognizable by young and old, if not by the film itself than at least by name, and yet never actually marketed by WB. You'd think it'd be in all the ads to show that even the classics are available on HBO Max! Strange. Anyway, because it rarely gets marketed or referenced, and Kane himself may not easily lend himself to a cartoony fighting game I can see why he would be passed up. Then again, there's always that chance - I mean, you can't tell me he wouldn't make headlines!

Want: 70%
I've made it very clear that when it comes to Multiversus, the appeal for me is how absolutely wacky and fun it can get while still staying in WB's wheelhouse. I love to see deep cuts, unusual characters, and to me the sheer novelty of Charles Foster Kane being in a fighter is awesome. We've all made the jokes about "The Citizen Kane of platform fighters" but when you combine it with the idea of his legendary temper and the way he interacts with others in a team-based game and perhaps even a wacky election mechanic (or Citizen Meter if you will) I'm all in. Moreover, I just love the idea of representing classic film in something...dumb! I'm a huge film buff, and to me the BEST thing someone can do for the classics - classic literature, classic plays, classic movies - is to make them accessible! It's so easy to be anti-intellectual and make fun of classic film for being old, or in black-and-white, but it's WAY more fun to UNDERSTAND classic film and still make jokes about it. That's why the idea of classic characters being in something like this fills me with delight. Plus, hell, maybe this will open people up to the idea of watching more classic movies! To understand art history is to love it, and there's a reason stuff like Dracula Daily has taken off - the new generation doesn't want to ignore the past, they just want new ways to engage with it critically and intellectually, and if seeing Citizen Kane fight Batman is the way to do it, I say go for it.

The only reason my rating isn't higher is because, despite definitely wanting classic film characters, my heart belongs to Sam Spade from The Maltese Falcon. I just love noir fiction. But hey, I say the more classic characters the better!

Nominations: All in on Sam Spade.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Where's the rosebud, Citizen Kane?

I'm going to abstain from giving a chance and want score. This is due to me never seeing the film despite constantly hearing about it.

My noms: Agent Washington (Red vs Blue) x5

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If we put Kane into Multiversus, the game becomes the Citizen Kane of video games.

Chance: 10%
Charles Kane is the protagonist of Citizen Kane, a film that investigates the meaning of his last words. It tells the story of how he built his empire and how it came crashing down. At the time the film was revolutionary for it’s characterization, story telling, and drama.
As for Kane in Multiversus, I don’t see it likely at all. Granted, the game pulls from a variety of Warner Bros, but classic movies are a category we are only beginning to explore with the Iron Giant. As such, I don’t think Kane would be picked until much further down the line.

Want: 90%
Although there are other classic films I want before Kane (coughs out the phrase “Wizard of Oz”… faintly) seeing Kane in Multiversus would be pretty cool. Especially moveset wise since I don’t think Kane did that much fighting in the movie.

Noms: All to Steve Urkel

amageish

Smash Master
Charles Kane

Chance: 10%. I think everyone has covered why Citizen Kane matters more then enough already - it's commonly cited as the best film ever made, it changed the ways films are made forever, it's deep in its commentary, it shall spawn discourse about its meaning and how it is contextualized by its era and re-contextualized by the continued changing political landscape of America forevermore. This film is, without doubt, one of the most important things in Warner's current library.

Amageish's Hot Take: Citizen Kane... is a good movie.

That said... We're talking about a multiplayer platform fighter and not a museum. This game is F2P. It has to make a profit. I've argued before that I think this game has three main audiences: youths, nostalgic adults (who may or may not be the parents of said youths), and big internet fandoms (where you get stuff like Steven Universe, Rick and Morty, RWBY, etc). Citizen Kane... does not cleanly fit into this game's obvious audiences, unless you count "People who like classic movies" as a sort of loose fandom... but even then, with the exception of the clapping gif I just posted, I wouldn't say Citizen Kane is ingrained in general internet culture the way most big fandoms are...

So, frankly, I think Citizen Kane's best shot is in a George-Mallory-esque "Because it's there" ****post way? Which is to say that I think it's best shot is if someone at Player First Games wants the absurdity of it to happen and somehow convinces Warner Bros it is a good idea... Alternatively, if the Multiversus fanbase rallies around it, I could see it being wished into existence but... I think it's harder to convince ****posters to do Citizen-Kane-posting then it is Hugh-Neutron-posting - but maybe that's just me...

Want: 50%. I'm split on this 50/50, honestly. On one hand, yes, this would be amazing. It'd be funny for sure, but it'd also be fun to take it seriously. I want Kane's interactions to all be 100% stone-faced "We hired a team of Film Studies professors to do a serious analysis of how Kane would feel about Batman"-level interactions. It'd be great to see something like that in this game - and I think we should have some rep from Warner's older catalogue. On the other hand... I don't know if I want this to be a Warner IP at all? This is the type of art that I really feel like should be public domain at this point and having it be in a cross-branded collection of characters punching each other with a healthy dose of marketing just kind of makes me feel icky on some level...

Noms: All on Sweeney Todd

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Abstain on chance and want due to the only thing I am familiar with is the clapping meme.

Noms
Concept- Yu Gi Oh rep x3
Yang Xiao Long- x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Concept: Cats Don't Dance rep
Chance: 6.5%
Want: 75%

Noms List

75-99

50-74

25-49
Static (DC) x45
The Impractical Jokers x40
Sweeney Todd x40
Rampage rep x33
Lion-O x31
John Constantine x30
Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep x30
Bilbo Baggins x30
Beetlejuice x30
Wile E. Coyote x25
Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory) x25

1-24
All Elite Wrestling rep x23
Spike (Gremlins) x21
King Kong x20
Audrey II x17
Steve Urkel x15
Blake Belladonna x15
Agent Washington x15
Concept: Yu-Gi-Oh rep x13
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Sesame Street content x10
Knight and Ostrich x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
Yang Xiao Long x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Pennywise x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Day over.

Rate Johnny Bravo.

Some videos to get into the mood to do the monkey with Johnny Bravo:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Johnny Bravo

Chance- 35%
Johnny is a mainstay in Cartoon Network for sure especially in the 1990s-2000s era. I think this would help him out regarding to being in the Multiversus roster. The major issue he has right now is he has a rough competition against bigger Cartoon Network mainstays such as Ben 10 or Teen Titans.

Want- 70%
Even though I didn't like his show as much but Johnny himself is a fairly amusing character so I don't mind him getting in. I bet his moveset would be very hilarious looking too.

Noms-
Concept: Yu Gi Oh rep- x3
Yang Xiao Long- x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Charles Kane
Chance: 11.29%
Want: 71.43%

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Sweeney Todd x50

25-49
Static (DC) x45
Bilbo Baggins x40
Beetlejuice x40
Rampage rep x33
Lion-O x31
John Constantine x30
Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory) x30
Wile E. Coyote x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
King Kong x20
Agent Washington x20
Steve Urkel x20
Audrey II x17
Concept: Yu-Gi-Oh rep x16
Blake Belladonna x15
Pennywise x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Knight and Ostrich x10
Sam Spade x10
Yang Xiao Long x9
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Homura Akemi x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

D

Deleted member

Woah, Mama!

Chance- 55%
Johnny is an iconic CN character from a classic show from the beloved cartoon cartoon era. He was a little bit of a mascot character for a while and he still gets cameos and references to this day. However he faces competition with other CN characters. He was in the same leak as Mad Max and Fred Flinstone, but who knows how accurate that was. All depends how many characters we get.

Want - 80%
Yes. Johnny is a great character and they could give him an amazing moveset. Plus can you imagine the dialogue they could write for him with characters like Wonder Woman?

Noms to Raven (Teen Titans)

Last edited by a moderator:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Man I'm fabulous"

Chance: 20%

Johnny Bravo is one of the classic Cartoon Network shows that is nostalgic for both 90s and 2000s kids. Johnny himself is somewhat iconic with him often being seen as an Elvis impersonator and he's a very charismatic character. The big thing holding him back, like we've discussed before with the other legacy CN shows, is that Warner Bros would likely want to promote newer and evergreen series first, like Ben 10 and whatever is recent on CN these days. The closest thing he has to getting points in relevancy is that he was featured in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, specifically the XL version after some heavy demand when he was featured as only an assist trophy in the 3DS version.

What also helps out legacy characters too is the recent reveal of The Iron Giant, a character with more of a cult following compared to the rest of the cast. But keep in mind that the character still made a cameo in Space Jam 2, as well as in Ready Player One. Neither of which occurred with characters like Johnny so I feel that fan demand will have to keep him afloat.

Want: 95%

I watched a lot of Johnny Bravo when I was little and watching clips from the show made me realized that it aged like fine wine. The humor is on point and even better now that I'm an adult (The things that cartoons got away with back then...). Johnny himself is hilarious and Cartoon Network PTE gave a good example of what the devs could do with Johnny to give him a wacky moveset. I would love for him to join MultiVersus and to see his interactions with other characters.

Noms:
Rampage rep x5
Lion-O x5

amageish

Smash Master
Johnny Bravo

Chance: 60%. Johnny Bravo is a 90s CN icon. He's beloved by fans and there's a pretty large amount of fan demand for him! However, like with a lot of CN reps, he suffers from there being a lot of competition and the 90s has a lot of shows that are continuing to get reboots/spin-offs/meta-deconstructions/comic-books/what-have-you which Johnny is not so lucky as to have... at least not yet, anyway.

He's gotten around in terms of crossovers, with Bravo having interacted with... most of the Hanna-Barbera library, frankly - most famously with the cast of Scooby-Doo.

I've unironically seen people cite this episode as proof that later incarnations of Velma weren't written to be gay, which is... a tiring argument to say the least.

Like a lot of other CN characters, he popped up in the 2018 O.K. K.O. episode "Crossover Nexus," albeit somewhat in a very "blink or you'll miss it" role.

This episode clearly had a lot of love put into it, which is always nice to see in IP cavalcades.

And, as already acknowledged by DanganZilla, he appeared as the main selling point of the console version of Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, having missed the boat for the original 3DS release. This shows he's already had fan demand put him into a platform fighter before, so maybe we'll see it happen again?

I never actually picked up the console version of this, but I did play a lot of the 3DS version... It was fine enough for me when I was a child.

So... Yeah. All in all, I think he's a more-likely-then-not character, but probably not a #1 priority and he'll probably need some fan demand to push him across the finish line.

Want: 80%. I would enjoy seeing Bravo in the game! Lots of fun potential for animations and interactions. He is an exceptionally cool dude, after all.

Noms: All on Jessica Cruz

KillerCage

Smash Master
Johnny Bravo was a "H-Word" before "H-Words" were popular.

Chances- 30%

I can't add much more to this discussion. @Darkonedagger, DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 , and amageish amageish covered most of what I can offer.

Want- 50%

I grew up with Johnny Bravo. That said, I'm not that invested into his inclusion. I have stronger feelings for other CN characters including the Powerpuff Girls.
If he gets into MultiVerses, good for Johnny.

My Noms: Agent Washington (Red vs Blue) x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Today we have a double day. Rate Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw, as well as Doomsday from the DC Comics.

Some videos to get into the chainsaw slaughtering mood:

And here are some videos to get into the mood to discuss the monster that will bring about the end of days:

A reminder that this is the last day of the schedule. So make those noms count.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Abstain on both not too familar with them

Noms
Concept Yu Gi Oh rep- x3
Yang Xiao Long- x2

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Julie Star

Lollipop Chainsaw is a collaborative effort between Suda51 and one James Gunn of Scooby-Doo, The Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy fame and as you would expect from two minds, it's quite the ride. Juliet Starling is the main protagonist of this game in which she fights the undead and their rock and roll based bosses in her cheerleader outfit with her trusty chainsaw alongside her boyfriend's head which hangs around her hip (Kratos took inspiration from here with Mimir I'm sure).

The game is actually considered pretty successful, it sold over a million copies which at the time far exceeded anything else that came from Grasshopper even though it's not as talked about as much as some other Grasshopper titles like No More Heroes. James Gunn also still fondly remembers it as he used the game as inspiration for "Harley-vision" in The Suicide Squad.

Juliet's problem is that there's not a whole lot of talk about the game anymore, not really helped by a lack of modern ports or even a presence on PC, so I'm not so sure the devs are entirely aware of her and WB are leaving it behind as it stands.

Want: 80%

Yeah she'd be fun. Her game has some very fun and flashy combat and the tone is pretty goofy so that could transfer over nicely. I'd like to see an attack where Nick's head gets put on a foe and he temporarily controls them, that'd be unique.

The villain you don't use in the second (Superman) movie of your franchise

Chance: 70%

Doomsday is an exceptionally well known villain and his best claim to fame is being the one to kill Superman which was a humongous event. Beyond that he's generally known for being a higher level threat and is typically used and manipulated by the likes of Darkseid and Lex Luthor. He's not terribly interesting though.

He faces competition from numerous other DC characters but his massive claim to fame gives him a big leg up on others but I still see him falling short of Luthor, Darkseid, maybe Zod and maybe Brainiac without getting into Batman's gallery.

Want: 0%

Doomsday is a dull and boring character, the one thing of interest was how he was effectively the result of cruel experimentation that led to him hating all Kryptonians but that's not really explored much. I don't think he'd be too exciting in terms of moves either so there's very little that could win me over.

Noms:
All on Blake Belladonna

amageish

Smash Master
Juliet Starling

Chance: 12%. Welcome back to everyone's favourite RTC Game Show: "Wait... Warner Owns That?!?!"! As, yes, Warner Bros does have the rights to the iconic Suda51/James-Gunn team-up game, Lollipop Chainsaw. So, yeah, Juliet can hang out with the Netherrealm Studios and Midway Arcade casts in the prodigious category of "Characters people wanted in Smash who may end up turning up in Multiversus instead."

She's here to slay!

As a zombie hunter and chearleading captain, Juliet Starling has a lot of potential for this game. She has a lot of style and tonnes of cool moves that could be pulled from for a platform fighter moveset. She had some demand for Smash would may end up carrying over to Multiversus, though she's generally been overshadowed by a hero Grasshopper Studios actually owns themselves nowadays - Travis Touchdown.

She does have a little bit of crossover history - appearing in another Grasshopper game, Killer is Dead, shortly after her first game's release and sort-of appearing in Travis Strikes Again via a legally-distinct lookalike, Juliet Chesterfield. She also could cosplay as Ash Williams in her original game, which... is pretty darn awesome, to say the least.

Good... Bad... She's the girl with the chainsaw and her boyfriend's disemobided head.

But, yeah, I think Juliet would either need (i) to become a major request in the Multiversus fandom to get in or (ii) to happen to have a lot of big fans in the dev team who are able to convince Warner she's worth putting in. She's just neither topical enough nor retro/nostalgic enough for me to see her as likely.

It also may be worth noting Tara Strong is already voicing a blond-pigtailed heroine in Multiversus, but I don't think it'd be that hard to make Juliet meaningfully stand out from Harley - especially with the kit Harley has in the game... And, hey, worse case scenario, you can just make a fourth wall joke about the similarity - they've been giving Quinn Deadpool vibes nowadays anyway...

Want: 85%. I think I'd have to give the game a proper playthrough to form a more nuanced opinion, but from my memories of playing the game at friend's places... Yeah, Juliet is fun! There's something very Xbox/PS3-era about her design and her game in general, but not necessarily in a bad way? It has the grit of that era while also standing out among a gaming landscape kind of infamous for black/brown/grey colour schemes and every protagonist being a ruggedly-handsome white dude with the same general facial features. I'd enjoy seeing these kinds of deep cuts in Multiversus for sure.

Doomsday

Chance: 50%. So, with a lot of DC characters, I've been singing a kind of similar tune about how they are popular within the comics fandom but haven't had a breakout moment into the mainstream... I have some good news about Doomsday - he has definitely had a major mainstream role that people will not be forgetting anytime soon!

I also have some bad news about Doomsday: What that mainstream role was.

I saw this film in theatres! It was definitely one of the films I have seen.

Okay, okay, Batman vs Superman aside, Doomsday is definitely best known for the Death of Superman arc, as depicted in the 90s comic event story, the '94 video game adaptation of that storyline, and the 2018 animated adaptation of that storyline (and nothing else 🙂). Beyond that, he appears in, well, most serialized Superman media eventually: he was a big bad in Smallville, in the 2000s Justice League series and its sequel, in a variety of direct-to-DVD animated projects, in the Injustice video game series, in the LEGO Batman video game series, etc etc etc.

This gif is from the Injustice animated movie, if you were curious...

So, at the end of the day, I think this one is a coin flip. Doomsday may make it in, but I could also see him being regulated to a non-playable role of some sort. It's hard to say what direction Multiversus will go when it comes to DC content, honestly...

Want: 30%. For my personal interests, Doomsday is really attacked on all sides. There's other big muscular monster characters I'd rather. There's other DC characters I'd rather. There's... just a lot of things I'd rather see before Doomsday, honestly.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Johnny Bravo
Chance: 40%
Want: 75%

Noms List

75-99

50-74
Sweeney Todd x50

25-49
Static (DC) x45
Bilbo Baggins x40
Beetlejuice x40
Rampage rep x38
Lion-O x36
John Constantine x30
Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory) x30
Wile E. Coyote x25
Agent Washington x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
King Kong x20
Steve Urkel x20
Concept: Yu-Gi-Oh rep x19
Audrey II x17
Blake Belladonna x15
Pennywise x15
Jackie Chan x11
Yang Xiao Long x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Knight and Ostrich x10
Sam Spade x10
Jessica Cruz x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Homura Akemi x5
Raven x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Travis' long lost crazy relative

Chance: 5%

Lollipop Chainsaw is a cult classic that is Grasshopper's most successful title to date, which is a big deal considering they also worked on No More Heroes. Plus James Gunn still acknowledges the game, even inspiring "Harley-Vision" in the new The Suicide Squad. But will Warner Bros go for the bite? I have my doubts. The game hasn't gotten any ports and outside of the Harley-vision which was James Gunn's idea, the title hasn't gotten any mention or reference from Warner Bros.

I think in situations like these it would be useful to know how much the devs' input matters when selecting characters. Because James Gunn is a very popular director so I can see some people on the MultiVersus team being a big fan of his work, or maybe he's even got some connections over at Warner Bros. I'm not sure how close Gunn is with Warner Bros after Lollipop Chainsaw, but that connection could be necessary for Juliet to have a shot at making it into the game.

Suda 51 and James Gunn is a dream team. I enjoy Gunn's work and I dig the humor of No More Heroes so I would love to try Lollipop Chainsaw one day. Juliet seems like a very entertaining character and I welcome anyone with a chainsaw.

You are all doooommmeeedd!!

Chance: 50%

Doomsday is a very interesting character. He is meant to be the polar opposite of Superman. While the man of steel was raised in a loving home and seeks to only protect peace, Doomsday only knew anger and does nothing but kill. His ability to return to life is a symbolism of how not only is hate a constant in life, but that it's also commonly passed on from generation to generation.

Well that got deep.....but that means that much like many other DC characters, Doomsday is a timeless character. But that's the thing, "like many others". DC has a ton of characters that are very popular and make so much sense as fighters in MultiVersus. So does Doomsday have anything that sticks out? Well he's known for killing Superman which is a story that got repeated several times, and the fact that he appeared in Batman vs Superman which...is a movie that certainly happened. He's also appeared in some of the cartoons and games. So he's in a good spot, but just like many other DC characters. so whether or not he makes it in is a shot in the dark.

Want: 80%

Yeah I think he's pretty cool, plus I nommed him with the mindset of "This is probably the closest we will get to having Hulk in the game", though with the direction that the game is going in, that may not be the case down the line. But Doomsday is great in his own way. He's got a menacing design plus some neat abilities to distinguish him from other punchy punchy characters. He has in the past absorbed energy then sent it back via a burst wave, spewed toxic clouds which leech the lifeforce from other living things, and he has spikes on his body that can be used for offensive attacks. So he can be a really interesting fighter if the devs played their cards right.

Noms:
Agent Washington x1
John Constantine x6
Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep x6
Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory) x6

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Wait, Suda 51's Juliet Starling is owned by WB???

Chances- 5%

Sorry Juliet, but I don't think you have much a chance of getting into MultiVerses. I was aware that Suda 51 was responsible for Juliet's creation. I was not aware that James Gunn was involved in her creation. I was also unaware that WB owned Lollipop Chainsaw. Somehow I doubt they remember owning it either. Despite its success, Lollipop Chainsaw is VERY niche and I don't think many people remember it. The fact that no one talks about it anymore kinda highlights how low its chances actually are.

Want- 50%

I have only through the original No More Heroes, but I am a general fan of Suda 51's work. That said, I don't know Juliet well enough to actually want her. If she makes it into MultiVerses, then congrats to her.

Doomsday, the monster that ripped off the Hulk's head.

Chances- 35%

One thing that's in Doomsday's favor that he can fill in the role of the grappler of MultiVerses' roster. Aside from that, he has VERY stiff competition. There are plenty of DC villains to pick from. That's not considering other DC characters and that's a VERY crowded field. Characters from other WB properities can fill in the grappler niche like Johnny Bravo or King Kong. I think the devs can think of plenty of characters that can fill in the the grappler role beside Doomsday.

Want- 0%

I'll be blunt. I don't like Doomsday as a character. He was designed to do one thing: kill Superman. Besides that, he has nothing of interests me. He has no real personality, no agency of his own, and no form of potential character growth. If Doomsday gets into the roster of MultiVerses, I would be disappointed.

My Noms:
Static x10
Agent Washington (Red vs Blue) x10

D

Deleted member

Chance - 13%
Lollypop Chainsaw is a strange little thing. The brainchild of Guardians of the Galaxy / The Suicide Sqaud director James Gunn and No More Heroes creator Suda 51. I remember the game getting a marketing big push. Big name musicians on the soundtrack and tie in costumes with popular anime. It was a big deal. But a sequal never happened. However its clear it does have a legacy. James Gunn said that Harley 's style and movements in his film where based off of Juillet. I'm pretty sure WB own the ip, as Suda had to use a Juila expy in No More Heroes 3 (which is secretly kind of a crossover of all his IP). The game is pretty risqué, almost to the point of parody, but I feel they could make it work. However. The game came out years ago and aside from Gunn and Suda both saying they want to do a sequal, there hasent been much major movement. Its not a franchise with something current to promote , and she faces competition from other WB gaming ips. It would take a dev being a huge fan or a sudden influx of fan requests to help her.

Want - 50%
I really love Suda games and while some may argue this is one of his weaker ones, i had a lot of fun with it. It's just so over the top and knows exactly what kind of shlock it is. Juillet could have some really fun interactions with characters in this game. And there's a lot of moveset potential to pull from.

Chance- 40%

Doomsday is a pretty big DC villain, being responsible for one of the biggest and most important comic book events of all time, the death and eventual return of Superman. He does appear in adaptions farily often. He's in the animated films, playable in the first Injustice, and was the final fight in Batman Vs Superman. He's not a one and done character. However he faces competition from other DC villians a characters in general.

Want - 30%
I like big grappler characters. But my issue with Doomsday is he's he's kind of boring. Honestly I'd say Doomsday isn't even a character. He's a plot device. He could have a pretty fun moveset, but he's not really a character I'm pulling for. If he got in I wouldn't mind. I'd just prefer someone else.

Noms to Raven

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The San Romero Knight

Juliet Starling is the protagonist of Lollipop Chainsaw, a hack-and-slash developed by Grasshopper Manufacture and published (in most regions) by Warner Bros. The game is a collaboration between Goichi Suda and James Gunn, two creatives known for mixing kitsch and camp with poignant character work and for always skirting the edges of good taste. The gist of Juliet is that she's a cheerleader who comes from a family of zombie hunters, and hunt zombies she does - with her chainsaw (hence the title of the game). She also carries the still-living head of her boyfriend Nick for reasons I could explain but am choosing not to.

The game was very well reviewed and a commercial success, selling one million copies (which apparently makes it Suda's most successful game? That's impressive but also kinda sad). While there was never a sequel or follow-up of any kind, both Gunn and Suda went on to be quite successful in their respective fields and both recently showed interest in returning to the IP. Still, it's a game that, while respected by most, needs to be reminded to people, which isn't great when your competition includes megafranchise Mortal Kombat and "the game that always comes to mind" Scribblenauts. It's also very likely that Warner doesn't even remember it, so any initiative to get Juliet into MultiVersus would have to come from either the devs or fans, barring the possibility of a Lollipop Chainsaw 2.

Still, both Suda and Gunn have very strong fanbases and with the biggest competitors not requiring the fandom rallying (Travis will likely never be in the game, while Peacemaker will probably make it regardless of demand), maybe the stars are aligned for a fan push to build up as more people are told of the possibility. Juliet has the advantage of being a videogame character, which means she's tailor made to be in a fighting game, so it's just a matter of reminding people she exists and when that happens I think most people will be open to her inclusion.

One final hurdle I want to point out in Juliet's path: a man by the name of Ashley Joanna Williams. Mr. Evil Dead himself. There's a lot of overlap between Ash and Juliet, both being chainsaw-wielding badasses hailing from satiric, overtly-gory and sexualized horror comedies from indie filmmakers who would later on direct Marvel movies (that's a very narrow descriptor). Ash has shown up in videogame crossovers before, such as Dead by Daylight, and has been a major request for Mortal Kombat (something the devs have taken note of). The ownership of Ash and the Evil Dead franchise isn't in the hands of a major studio since it originated as a no-budget indie film, but it's worth pointing out that the original movie was distributed by WB subsidiary New Line and the upcoming new installment is bankrolled by them as an HBO Max exclusive. Also Ash just seems like he'd be very easy to get and thus an almost guaranteed inclusion in MultiVersus if the powers that be are so inclined. Given the overlap, I figured it was worth pointing out, though the characters aren't mutually exclusive (Ash won't be out there attacking folks with pom-poms - though it wouldn't be that out of character...)

Want: 100%
I have very fond memories of this game, which I played at my older cousin's house (since I didn't own a PS3, and also I was way too young for it at the time). Looking back on it, it's aged deceptively well. It did the same thing as Bayonetta where Juliet was designed by a woman and it shows because Juliet is a character with agency and a kickass personality that isn't there to be ogled by characters or the audience (2010s era marketing nonwithstanding). She'd bring a lot to the table moveset-wise and personality-wise (I love the idea of implementing Nick's head-controlling abilities, and also her interacting with Harley). It's just a cool game with a lot of fun aesthetic choices with the references to everything from rock subgenres to classic (and not so classic) horror cinema. Would be a deep cut exclusively for the fans, but that's exactly the type of pick that I like the most, so yeah.

Doomsday AKA the day Warner execs saw the reviews for Batman v Superman

Doomsday is a character who killed Superman. That's basically his only claim to fame, he's shown up in other stuff since but he mainly appears whenever DC wants to adapt the Death of Superman again. Most infamously in Batman v. Superman, where he's the genetic child of Zod and not!Lex Luthor and functions as a meaningless heavy to pit against Batman and Superman after they make up because they both have moms or something (it's a terrible movie). That movie, with its stodgy CGI, origin, and writing in general, kinda made Doomsday a joke in the eyes of the mainstream.

Honestly, Doomsday can hardly be called a character. If you're generous you could make an argument that he's a symbol for the inevitability of death. Or you could just call him a generic overpowered alien bad guy whose sole reason for existing is to break plot armor one time. His powerset is pretty generic and I doubt he has fans. I can't really see a reason why he would make it into MultiVersus, especially with more creative, beloved and important Superman villains like Luthor, Brainiac, and Bizarro are available.

Want: 5%
I guess I'd understand why he's in. But honestly I have zero interest in Doomsday, he does nothing for me. The Death of Superman is a great comic but Doomsday isn't exactly the strongest part of it. If a rep from it needs to be included then I'd much rather it be one of the 4 Supermen, especially Steel. But I can't think of anything interesting Doomsday would bring to the table nor any good reason to feature him over the thousands of other DC characters.

Noms go to Knight and Ostrich

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Static from the DC Comics.

Some videos to get into the mood to discuss a character that some say would be a shocking inclusion:

THESE CHARACTERS ARE NOW LOCKED DOWN. NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE NULL & VOID.
Day 58 - Static (DC Comics)
Day 59 - Sweeney Todd
Day 60 - Concept: Impractical Jokers rep
Day 61 - Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit) and Beetlejuice
Day 62 - Concept: Rampage rep and Lion-O (Thundercats)
Day 63 - Agent Washington (Red vs Blue) and John Constantine (DC Comics)
Day 64 - Concept: Hunter X Hunter rep and Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory)

For the first time in the history of this thread, we had a 5 way tie for 7th place. That explains this very busy schedule. This means that for those of you who are willing to go the extra mile, you will be drowning in noms.

Calcs for the duo are coming soonish

Noms List

75-99

50-74

25-49
Jessica Cruz x30
Knight & Ostrich x30
Wile E. Coyote x25
Blake Belladonna x25
Raven x25

1-24
Concept: Yu-Gi-Oh rep x22
Spike (Gremlins) x21
King Kong x20
Steve Urkel x20
Audrey II x17
Pennywise x15
Yang Xiao Long x13
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Sam Spade x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Homura Akemi x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Just Static

Chance: 99%

There's gonna be a fair few mentions of leaks in some of the upcoming characters and Static isn't an exception. He's referenced a fair amount in the voice lines several characters have so pending any issues, he's in. I will mention he does have a history of not making the final roster before with Injustice 2 but I can't find any particular reasoning for it but given Raiden showed up with a Black Lightning alt I'd assume it was a legal issue that probably isn't a thing in the present day.

Beyond leaks he's a fairly popular character that people have wanted to see more of for ages and with Milestone seeing a resurgence with comics and plans for animated and live action movies, it's a good time to put Static in Multiversus.

He's a really cool character. His design is fantastic, his powers might be basic electricity things but they're utilised really well and his characterisation is just fantastic. Diversity is always a great thing too. Static's cool and I'm glad he's been on a great comeback, finally getting to use him in a fighting game would be the cherry on top

Noms:
All on Blake Belladonna

amageish

Smash Master
Static

Chance: 95%. On the surface, Static's in the same camp as a lot of the DC heroes we've discussed: a beloved character whose biggest mainstream projects keep collapsing in on themselves before they make it to air... On the other hand, he's more or less been confirmed by leaks, so... um... Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's happening!

Static is just... so effortlessly cool.

There's not much to talk about when it comes to his crossover history, unfortunately. He was in the mobile version of Injustice, which... definitely looks like a 2013 mobile game, alright!

The era of console games getting weird mobile demakes was a weird time to be alive...

Overall, he has strong moveset potential, 2000s nostalgia is getting big now, and people nowadays generally tend to like street-level crime-fighting fast-talking superheroes as a general trend. He's a good choice for the game!

Want: 95%. I also would really enjoy seeing him in the game! Fun character with a fun energy that stands out from most of the DC roster - er, no pun intended.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I barely remember Static so abstain on both

Noms
Concept: Yu Gi Oh rep- x3
Yang Xiao Long- x2

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Juliet Starling
Chance: 9.17%
Want: 72.5%

Doomsday
Chance: 41.67%
Want: 24.17%

This is what occurs when you rub your shoes against fabric

Chance: 99%

Static has got some things going for him. He got his own animated show which is beloved and fondly remembered, he has some upcoming projects, and he has been featured in some of the Justice League cartoons and movies.

But the real reason why this score is super high is because
in leaks of certain voice lines, characters like Garnet mention him. Now I'm gonna err on the side of caution but this tells me that Warner Bros is ready to implement Static sometime in the future and with a show and a movie planned, I can totally see him happening.

He's not one of my most wanted DC characters but sure I'll take him. His animated series was pretty good and it helps that he uses his electric powers in creative ways such as levitating objects, creating a platform that allows him to fly, and create ball lightning.

Noms: Ash Williams x5

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Hey Static! How was your Death Battle?

Chances- 95%

Lets get this out of the way. Yes, Static was listed in that "datamine leak." Thanks to the confirmation of Taz and the Iron Giant, he's in a very good position to join to MultiVerses. It's also true that Static is a DC Comics character... kinda. Static was created for Milestone Comics (though Milestone was distributed by DC) and thus would be a representative for the "Dakotaverse." Static is EASILY Milestone's most popular character. He got a cartoon that's highly regarded, ahead of its time in terms of social issues, and remains popular to this day. It would be surprising if Static DIDN'T make it into MultiVerses.

Want- 70%

How many times did you guys hear me say "I grew up with this character"? Well it applies to Static as well! I do think his electric powers can make him stand out among MultiVerses' roster. I would be happy to have Static join the ultimate battle.

My noms: Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) x10

D

Deleted member

Shocking

Chance- 80%
Static is a long running comic character, most known for the excellent animated adaption that saw crososvers with Batman, Green Lantern and the rest of the league. Static has since had a strnage relationship with DC. He had been in comic runs and made an apperance in Young Justice, but for some reason was cut early on from both Injustice gamed (third times the charm?) and some filled attrmps to adapt the character. I believe there may have been some issues between DC and Milestorm for a while, but whatever those issues where seem to have sorted themselves out. Their are numerous Milestone projects in development including a Static film and DC/WB seem to be involved. Static does have some reference in the files so he's clearly a character they're thinking about. I'd say there is a good chance he gets in eventually.

Want - 90%
Sure. I liked his show a lot. He doesn't get enough play in crossovers and that's a shame. I'd like to see him show up. Electric characters are cool and you could do a pretty fun moveset for him.

Noms to Raven

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Chance: 70%.

I feel like Static is in an interesting grey area in terms of his likeliness of inclusion. On the one hand, he'd be a very unique fighter with an exceptionally unique style to him, let alone his playstyle. Not only this, but he's a character from an era that WB are interested in representing - considering the inclusion of costumes for Batman and Harley based on that era. He's arguably best-known for a pretty beloved series that a lot of people have good memories of and was relatively well-recieved at the time. Hell, he's even a brilliant example of representation and the like (which I know some people would start arguments about, it's just a statement.)

The problem is, there's a lot of things in his way - a weird and wacky moveset takes up a lot of development time, and he probably won't turn as many heads as more obvious DC picks like, for example, Green Lantern or the Joker. Not only this, but looking at his exclusion from the Injustice titles (Except like... the mobile title??) and the issues in the past with DC and Milestone, it seems like I can't give him much higher than this. Sure, there's leaks from datamined code that suggest he's been referenced, but then nothing in the early files would suggest a character that has a 100% chance of inclusion. Think back to the Chorus Kids, people.

I think that he's more likely if they go for a games as a service model. I can imagine him turning a lot of heads later on, but including him as a member of the main roster feels a bit odd when you consider that most of the characters included so far are either quite relevant in the modern era (such as Game of Thrones or Shaggy's moveset,) or have legacy staying power and... happen to have appeared in Space Jam 2 (like Velma or the Iron Giant) and it'd be a bit odd to give him the same focus as other characters, even if it would be very cool.

Want: 90%.

I honestly think Static would be a very solid choice for a game like this. You have to bear in mind, MultiVersus is a game based on how you can work as a team, and Static's nature as what I can imagine to be a character with high zoning, stage-control, and aerial power could work really well as defence for a tank-styled character like, perhaps, the Iron Giant. I can imagine he'd be fast-paced and pretty versatile, and overall he just screams potential for fighting games. The unique use of his electrical abilities only add to that, admittedly, and his constant snuffing from the Injustice series would make a win in MultiVersus a really cool sight,

Send my noms to the Knight and Ostrich, I love a good Midway rep.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Big Bang Theory

Chance: 95%
Static is a comic book character created by Milestone Media and distributed (and presumably owned in part) by DC. He's the secret identity of Virgil Hawkins, a teenager from Dakota City who has the power to control electromagnetic forces. He is best known for the show Static Shock which ran in the 2000s and was part of the shared universe of DC animated series. It was critically acclaimed and well known for pushing the envelope (beyond its groundbreaking representation, it dealt with social issues that weren't - and still aren't - touched on kids shows). With Static being so fondly remembered (and the 2000s beginning to hit the high end of the nostalgia curve) it's no surprise that DC has a movie in the works.

So, Static is a fan favorite, relevant and marketable today, and thanks to him being DC-adjacent rather than a pure DC character, he's not even in contention with the massive stable of characters from the brand. He's also been leaked, apparently. So yeah, it's an easy inclusion to seem cool while still fully working in the favor of the corporate overlords. Seems like a no-brainer.

I like the show, not much else to say here heh

Noms: Kong
Still working off my debt to society.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Day over.

Rate Sweeney Todd, a fictional character who has become a London myth and is known for being a killer barber. He had a movie distributed by Warner Bros.

Some videos to get into the mood to receive a killer haircut:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Sweeney Todd would like some revenge.

I'm going to abstain from giving either a chance or want score. I have never seen the film and l likely never will. I'm sure he has his fans.

My noms: Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) x5

amageish

Smash Master
Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd

Chance: 3%. London in the 1800s was, uh, not the best time period to be alive, to say the least! Growing industrialization combined with growing access to print news resulted in a major moral panic about crime, which resulted in newspapers covering crimes more, which resulted in people panicking about crime more, which resulted in newspapers covering crime more, which resulted in people panicking more, etc etc etc.

So, what do you do when you're done reading all the newspaper stories about sensationalized violent crimes? Read fictional stories about sensational violent crime, of course! For that, you can buy penny dreadfuls: short serialized stories stuffed to the brim with blood and gore. One of the most famous penny dreadfuls is the subject of today's rating: 1846/7's The String of Pearls: A Domestic Romance.

TV ads for stage productions are such an interestingly weird art form, aren't they?

Sweeney Todd was, as the story goes, a barber who killed his clients and robbed their corpses. After doing the robbery, he work with his neighbour Mrs. Lovett, a baker famous across London for her pies, to depose of the bodies by... baking them into the pies to be served to the general population of London! DUN DUN DUN! Todd and Lovett's relationship gets more and more tense as the story goes on, ultimately climaxing in both of their deaths.

This story was apparently pretty influential on literature of the period and generally morphed into an urban legend, with some even claiming Todd is actually a historical figure. It also got a lot of adaptations, notably including a 1973 play by Christopher Bond which was later adapted into a 1979 musical by the legendary Stephen Sondheim, composer and lyricist known for shows like West Side Story, Into the Woods, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and more. This musical version of the story has gotten three different filmed versions: a 2001 filmed version of the stage show, a 2007 film adaptation directed by Tim Burton, and a 2014 filmed version of the stage show.

Classic film fans may also be familiar with the 1936 film adaptation, which starred Tod Slaughter.

Now, as far as Warner goes? I... don't see a reason they would deeply care about their connection to this show, honestly.

Sweeney Todd is a stage classic and the 2007 film did actually make a profit, which isn't very common for live-action musicals with theatrical releases, but it's not like Warner brings it up especially often. They also have a lot of other options for musical theatre reps in Multiversus: most obviously the cult classic 1986 movie Little Shop of Horrors, based on the 1982 Off-Broadway musical, which was slated to have a remake coming soon before that project was put on hold last year. They also made the 2007 film adaptation of Hairspray, based on the 2002 musical, and the 2021 film adaptation of In the Heights, based on the 2008 Broadway musical - both of which would be a lot more tonally "Here's a song-and-dance moveset from a musical character!" then the singing serial killer would be. Not to mention that they could always have a Warner Bros staple character have a stage-musical inspired variant, like adding an alt of Superman from It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman or an alt of Beetlejuice from Beetlejuice: The Musical The Musical The Musical (yes, those both of those exist - one song from the Superman musical is used pretty frequently as music for ads, so you've probably heard of it in that context).

I'd unironically rate Beetlejuice having a musical alt as pretty likely. The Beetlejuice stage show fandom is pretty large online, especially on TikTok.

In terms of crossover history... I don't really know how one keeps track of the crossover history of a public domain IP, honestly? The story of Sweeney Todd inspired an episode of the 1940s radio show The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which is a crossover of sorts... The stage musical is also unsurprisingly used in basically every Sondheim revue or biographical work, such as the 1999 show Putting It Together, the 2010 show Sondheim on Sondheim, or the 2020 album Losing My Mind: A Sondheim Disco Fever Dream (which is unsurprisingly very trippy).

I sometimes wonder how people who don't follow musical theatre who end up just going out to "a Broadway musical!" feel about this kind of show.

So, yeah. Overall, Todd's an important character to theatre history and English literature, but probably not important enough to Warner to make the cut. Oh, there's already a character who bakes people into pie on the roster, so that very specific niche is kind of already filled.

Want: 80%. I don't especially care about the 2007 film adaptation, but I do like Sweeney Todd in general! I am artsy theatre trash, so, yes, Sondheim is one of my favourite composers and, while Sweeney Todd isn't one of my favourite shows of his overall, I am generally impressed by how it uses its medium to further its dark and gritty tone. Most horror-genre musicals are either ironically campy (ex/ the musical adaptations of Evil Dead and Heathers) or terrible (ex/ the musical adaptation of Carrie), while Sweeney Todd strikes a very fun disquieting tone. It'd be cool to see them transfer his killer style (pun intended) into a platform fighter like Multiversus!

Noms: Speaking of pies, I'm putting all my noms on a pie too... a Pinkie Pie. How's that for tonal dissonance?

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Not too familar on the character so abstain

Noms
Concept Yu Gi Oh rep- x3
Yang Xiao Long- x2

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I will also abstain because I've yet to see Sweeney Todd. But Johnny Depp shenanigans probably make this one too complicated to consider for the foreseeable future.

Noms: Kong

D

Deleted member

Chance - 5%
Sweeny Todd is a classic folklore character that dates back to the 1840's. The Johnny Depp (I will not be touching on nay of the current issues in this write up) film was farily popular. But I can't say i personally see this. I can't quite see them delving into public domain characters too much, and while the film was popular, it was quite some time ago now. If we get a musical theater rep I think it's much more likely that comes with Beetlejucie (as I'll discuss in his upcoming day), or possibly something from little shop of horrors.

Want - 10%
Not really a character I have much attachment for but everyone was abstaining and I didn't want us to end up with another character that doesn't get rated.

Noms to Gandalf

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sweeney Todd
Chance:
5%
I'm going to be realistic, I don't think he has a ghost of a chance. Maybe if this game was being made way-back-when, when the movie was a surprise hit that plenty of people were seeing (and enjoying due to its wonderfully gothic atmosphere) but unfortunately unless you're in theatrical circles you're probably not gonna be hearing about it much nowadays. There's also the issue of him being a character who even if he was added isn't really Warner Bros-tied outside of the movie. He's a pulp character turned musical character who happened to have a decently-popular movie based on said musical. The competition with Seymour/Audrey II is heavy, to say nothing of other horror reps like Freddy Krueger or Beetlejuice.

Want: 90%
One of my biggest wants. I think the musical is magnificent, and the movie is a glorious dark horror-fantasy that always gets me in a Halloween mood. I like the character a lot, and I think his moveset would be fun with the use of razors and flourishes and his unique and creepy yet beautiful movements essential to making the character come to life. I just like musicals, and I like this movie. It holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first R-rated movies I was ever officially allowed to see, and even if I've long since seen better horror movies (and even better horror musicals) it's still something I'm extremely fond of. No matter how many times I revise my most-wanted list, Sweeney Todd always ends up on it.

Nominations: Sam Spade xAll

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Static
Chance: 90.43%
Want: 87.86%

Noms list

75-99

50-74

25-49
Knight & Ostrich x40
Jessica Cruz x35
Raven x35
Blake Belladonna x30
King Kong x30
Wile E. Coyote x25
Concept: Yu-Gi-Oh rep x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Steve Urkel x20
Audrey II x17
Pennywise x15
Yang Xiao Long x15
Homura Akemi x15
Jackie Chan x11
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Sam Spade x10
Snow Miser x7
Six Flags content x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Ash Williams x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

This guy should have a food competition with Arya Stark

I'll echo what others have said. Todd is a character introduced in The String of Pearls magazines who then spread as a legend. He has gotten several films, the most famous of which is the one in 2007 starring Johnny Depp and distributed by Warner Bros. The film was successful, financially and critically. So would Warner Bros pick this devious barber? Possibly, but I don't see him as priority. While I'm not sure about the comparisons to other musicals as they are very different (Except for Little Shop of Horrors which is part horror), my problem is that Warner Bros hasn't really referenced Todd, despite being public domain. My guess is because they only made one adaptation of the story and that version just so happened to feature a very famous star so most likely they would want to get Johnny Depp on board, or its a bust. Speaking of the man, I'm not going to go deep into the topic but currently he's going through a messy court case which may or may not impact his characters' chances.

Want: 60%

I haven't seen any of his movies but I'm a sucker for horror and legends so I'm on board with him. A guy who fights with a razor is...certainly different.

Noms: Ash Williams x10

Day over.

Rate Concept: Impractical Jokers rep.

Some videos to get into the mood to play dare:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
For your punishment: give all of the upcoming RTC characters 0% chance/wants using stupid reasons given to you by the other guys

TruTV is owned by WarnerMedia and Impractical Jokers is pretty popular. IJ also has a decent amount of memes surrounding it (like the Sal picture and Tonight's Big Loser) so this is has a somewhat decent chance.

One potentially big issue however comes with some recent changes with the cast. At the start of the year, Joe announced that he would be leaving the show to raise his kids following the divorce with his wife. I think there were some rumors of him acting inappropriately behind set, but from what I recall nothing ever came of those and the other 3 Jokers have stated in recent months that they're still friends with Joe. Still though, the first Joe-less episode with Eric Andre did not address Joe's absence at all, so the entire ordeal of Joe leaving is something that sort of just... happened.

Joe from what I recall is the most popular Joker (or at least roughly tied with Q), and with him out I'm uncertain of the show's future. They're planning on doing a bunch of episodes with different guests in each one, though Joe's absence is always going to feel like a giant elephant in the room. We'll have to see how IJ does going forward, but with the show treading some more risky ground then I don't know if WB/Multiversus devs would take the risk in the event the show goes downhill.

I love Impractical Jokers. It got me through some hard times during my college days and I can always get a laugh out of it. I think Joe followed by Murr would be the best picks to rep the show, but any of the 4 Jokers would be great to have. All of the wacky challenges and punishments they've went through gives them more than enough moveset potential.

Oh and the alt costume potential speaks for itself.

EDIT: Forgot my noms. I guess I'll throw them all to Monkey D. Luffy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom