• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 126 - Walter White (Breaking Bad)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Abstain on chance and want for Jack

Animaniacs rep

Chance- 70%
They have a good chance overall due to being one of WB's major series. Especially the main trio of the Animaniacs.

Want- 25%
It depends on who the Animaniacs character makes it. Mostly they are slightly interesting but don't really care about them much.

Johnny Cage

Chance- 50%
He is one of Mortal Kombat's mainstays along with a few characters. He isn't big as Scorpion nor Sub Zero but I do think he has an okay shot at this game.

Want- 0%
Mortal Kombat is one of my least wanted series. I am not particularly interested in Johnny either.

Noms
Half on Sakura Kyoko
Half on Sailor Moon

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
"Fans Think My Moves Are All Wirework and Special Effects. I AM The Special Effects"
Johnny Cage
His Theme: Prepare Yourself
50%: From What I've Seen and Understand from reading on this thread Johnny Cage is a pretty popular character and is one of the recurring protagonists of the series from what i have seen.

And While I am hesitant to see anymore more characters appear there is a high change of Multiversus getting more characters from Mortal Kombat, Though maybe it's based on whether or not Ed Boon decides to see more mortal kombat characters & if Johnny is considered.

25%: Johnny Cage, i haven't seen too much of mostly Mortal Kombat's 9 & X + Death Battle, Based on his development throughout the series it's a bit interesting seeing him change from a movie star to a full on soldier with his wife.

Honestly though i'm a tiny bit conflicted on seeing more mortal kombat characters show up since i'm more in favor of seeing Scorpion & Sub-Zero get in the game but if they put more mortal kombat characters than i would at least hope to see them come up with something with them.

"We're ANI-MANI TOTALLY INSANE-Y(Pinky & The Brainy) An-i-man-iiiiiAAAAAAAAACCCSS!! Those Are the Facts"
Animaniacs
Series Theme: We're Animaniacs!(The Extended Cut)
99%: Animaniacs is a show that has resonated with so many people, whether they were adults who used to watch it or are watching it now & enjoying it now, It's a series that has likely gotten a lot of attention recently and has a reboot series which received positive reception from what i've seen.

With It's Popularity the series is relevant enough to get a rep for the game the most likely are the warners and pinky & the brain, formers being the main characters and are loved while the latter two also share the same reasons above(Though there might be people who want Slappy Too).

Though the rating i gave them comes from the original leaker of Multiversus confirming that the warners are on their way, most likely after the full game comes out.

95%: I want say The Animaniacs deserves to have a playable character in the game, while i might be a bit concern with my thoughts currently i've always thought the show was really good and remember laughing from the first episode, but overall thought it looked fun.

In terms of a rep i've always saw the Warner Brothers-

Dot: And The Warner Sister

...as the main show's reps, they should be a trio were they almost work like the ice climbers with mechanics and references from their sega genesis video game were they take turns attacking or switch the other to use different gimmicks for some crazy comedy(i've never played it though i assume the warners can switch each other during gameplay, so can somebody please confirm if it's true?), Pinky & The Brain come 2nd though I never saw them working out as fighters unless Brain were to show up in his robot suit from Win Big it's likely they'll take a creative approach for both to work as fighters in the game.

"Heeeeeeerrrrreee's Johnny!"
Jack Torrance
His Theme: Midnight, The Stars and You
49%: I believe i've seen some people put Jack on their wishlist however nobody has ever asked if they wanted him and the most requested horror characters are Pennywise & Freddy Krueger, After That We Have Jason, Michael, and Chucky.

Though based on Moveset Jack would be a fairly well played out fighter who despite not having anything to the likes of Freddy and Jason could bring some potential, Though that's just me giving him some positivity for his chances cause a serial killer who's standard wouldn't too bad unless his potential doesn't work.

Abstain: I don't have much opinion on Jack, I've seen the shinning referenced and parodied in every media(including the god dang simpsons) and watched Nostalgia Critic's Review on Stephen King's Take on Shinning, However i have never seen the whole movie(granted i probably would've choose to ignore it back than).

Nominations(Giving Points to)
Mac and Bloo
Alfred E. Neuman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Totally Insaney
Chance - 90%
Animaniacs is a classic cartoon. It recently got a well received reboot. The series is full of Cartoon wacky antics that would be very fitting for a game like this. In terms of who the character would be. The Warner Siblings, Yakko, Wakko, and Dot, feel like an eventual addition for this game. This is a Warner Bros crossover game and they literally have Warner in their name. The big question is how they implement them. Do they choose just one, give them each a spot, make them tag out like Pokémon Trainer, or have all three in play at once, Ice Climbers style? You kind of have to have all three siblings. It's worth noting that the orignal leaker of the game has listed the Warners are a character that is planned for the future. But like with all leaks, take that with some degree of salt. Pinky and the Brain also feel like a possible choice. They where popular enough to get their own spin off and have a number of gadgets and inventions to pull from. Their size may be an issue, but if characters like the Iron Gaint can get in then I'm sure the team could make the opposite work. I definitely think the Warners are something that will happen, but I also think a character like P&TB isn't out of the question either.

Want- 98%
I enjoyed the orignal Animaniacs and quite liked what I've seen of the reboot. The Warners would be a really fun character, there's so much you could have them do. Most of the side characters would be fun, but we should probably get the Warners first. The WB watertower would be an incredible stage too.

$500 Sunglasses
Chance- 50%
Mortal Kombat is 100% percent getting a rep in this game. But it will likely be Scorpion, then Sub-Zero. After that? It getting more is definitely not impossible. It all depends on how big this game gets. MK is a pretty big seires with a lot of character potential. But there a lot of options. Raiden, Liu Kang, Shou Khan, Shang Tsung, Kitana / Mileena, and many more. Johnny is a pretty popular character. He had a memorable role in the orignal film, and the reboot games made him pretty important to the plot, with him being one of his main heroes and his daughter Cassie being set up as the next one. He was left out of the recent live action reboot movie, but the ending teases his involvement in the upcoming sequal.

Want - 50%
Johnny's a great character. I wouldn't want too many MK characters filling up the roster, but he'd have some amazing interactions with the rest of the roster. If I had to choose am MK character after Scorpion (and Sub-Zero), Johnny would definitely be one of my picks.

All Work and No Play
Chance- 10%
The Shining is a classic Steven King novel. It's mostly known for the Stanley Kubrick film, which has been parodied and paid tribute to more times than you can count. It's definitely iconic. Even if you've never seen the film, you're proablly familiar with the imagery through some sort of parody or tribute. Warner Brothers did put out the film, and the 2019 follow up Dr. Sleep, based on the follow up novel by Steven King, which even featured RWBY as a plot element (changed from the novel's use of Game of Thrones), so there is a connection. Jack, memorably played by an insanely over the top Jack Nickelson, is kind of just a crazy guy with an axe. While the story does feature supernatural elements, I feel like Pennywise is both a more likely and more interesting Steven King pick, and there are other horror characters like Freddy Kruger or Jason Voorhees, who'd proablly work better.

Want - 10%
The Shining is great. Its an amazing film full of amazing scenes and classic imagery. Jack is a brilliant villian. Jack Nickelson is so watchable. I'm just not sure how fitting of a fighting game character Jack would be. There are probably other horror characters I'd pick first. But I'd actually be down to see what they could do with him. They could proablly work other elements of the Shineing into him. Not a character I'm begging out for but I'd be down to see how weird they can get.

Noms to
Jotaro
The Mask

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining on Johnny Cage

-----

Animaniacs rep

Chance: 99%
Popular Warner Bros. series that had a recently successful reboot. The wacky characters and moveset potential speaks for itself. Also from what I recall, a WB water tower stage was found in the files. While this could just be viewed as a general stage for WB since the water tower is a real world thing, it has a noticeable appearance in Animaniacs so the series is definitely in the minds of the MultiVersus devs. I genuinely can't think of any reason why the series won't get a rep.

Want: 80%
My experience with the series is very superficial. I had some toys of it as a kid (I think because my brother watched the original show towards the final years) and I've seen various clips/memes of it over the years. I still think any of the main trio would fit into MultiVersus super well so I'd be down for the series getting a character.

-----

Jack Torrance

Chance: 5%
The Shining is a famous movie with "Heeeere's Johnny!" being probably one of the most iconic film quotes ever. It's also had a recent movie in the form of 2019's Dr. Sleep. The relevancy is there, though with Jack more or less being a regular guy with an axe then I'm not sure if they can make a full moveset out of him.

Want: Abstain
Never got around to seeing The Shining. While I don't know how a moveset could be made for Jack, I don't think it'd be fair to give a score based on my limited knowledge so I'll abstain.

-----

Nominations:
Half to Monkey D. Luffy
Half to Roger Smith (Big O)
(If I have an odd number of noms, give the extra one to Roger)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Shuichi Kitaoka
Chance: 2.36%
Want: 91.67%

Ultraman
Chance: 14.88%
Want: 82.86%

Noms List

75+
William Cage x90

50-74
Roger Smith x55
Monkey D. Luffy x55
Goku x55

25-49
Sakura Kyoko x48
Discord (MLP) x45
Audrey II x42
Pennywise x40
Grim x40
Steve Urkel x40
Elvis Presley x40
Six Flags content x37
Blue Beetle x35
Marceline x30
Jotaro Kujo x28
Wile E. Coyote x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
John Gotti x20
Jason Voorhees x20
Sesame Street content x20
Mob x20
Courage x20
Sailor Moon x14
Jackie Chan x11
Leonardo (TMNT) x10
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Mac & Bloo x10
Evangelion character x10
Simon the Digger x10
The Gilmore Girls (as a duo) x9
Snow Miser x7
The Mask x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Harry Hill x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Shuichi Kitaoka
Chance: 2.36%
Want: 91.67%

Ultraman
Chance: 14.88%
Want: 82.86%

Noms List

75+
William Cage x90

50-74
Roger Smith x55
Monkey D. Luffy x55
Goku x55

25-49
Sakura Kyoko x48
Discord (MLP) x45
Audrey II x42
Pennywise x40
Grim x40
Steve Urkel x40
Elvis Presley x40
Six Flags content x37
Blue Beetle x35
Steve Urkel x35
Marceline x30
Jotaro Kujo x28
Wile E. Coyote x25

1-24
Spike (Gremlins) x21
John Gotti x20
Jason Voorhees x20
Mob x20
Courage x20
Sailor Moon x14
Jackie Chan x11
Leonardo (TMNT) x10
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Mac & Bloo x10
Evangelion character x10
Simon the Digger x10
Snow Miser x7
The Mask x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Harry Hill x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Alfred E. Neuman x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1
Why is there 2 Steve Urkel's?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The game releasing got me back into this thread! I'm gonna abstain on want for all, I haven't watched/played Mortal Kombat, The Shining, or Animaniacs.

Johnny Cage

Chance - Back when I was active on this thread, I remember saying that it was hard to rank characters purely because we had no idea how successful the game would be. Now that we know it's a success, this changes the calculus - inflating basically everyone's numbers. When it comes to Mortal Kombat, for example, I previously gave Scorpion a 75% - I would now give him a 99% (I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to giving full 100s, you never know what could happen). Of course we're not talking about Scorpion though, we're talking about a character a few rungs down on the totem pole. I'm gonna give him a rather generous score of 60%. The first two MK characters to be added will be Scorpion and Sub Zero, no question - but it could easily get more than two. I wouldn't even be surprised if it gets a few more characters than it "should", because they can reuse assets from the games. I'm not overly familiar with Mortal Kombat, but he appears to be a somewhat important character in the series, especially outside of gaming - something this game is obviously not allergic to. I'm not sure if he would be the third character in line (other characters I hear a lot are Noob Sailboat and Mileena), but he would likely be a character in line, and that's enough.

Animaniacs

Chance - This is an easy one - 99%. Even without the Animaniacs reboot I think a character would have been likely, but now that there is it takes it into overdrive. There's just one small hang up on my end - the reboot is very explicitly a Hulu show and not a HBOMax show - but I don't think that'll be a big issue, especially because they'll probably re-reboot it to get new seasons on their platform (similar to what Disney is doing with Daredevil). Animaniacs is a classic cartoon with a reboot that rejuvenated the fanbase- there's no reason for me to keep repeating myself. Addressing the elephant in the room - the stage clears all doubts, Multiversus has yet to give a series without a character anything, no reason for the Animaniacs to be the exception. The real question is not if we get an Animaniac, but "when" and "how many"?

The other Johnny

Chance - This one is a bit tricky. Before I started writing this I was prepared to go on a small rant on how "The Shining isn't a series and that's weird for this game", but the thing is - it is now. A sequel released in 2019, and both a third and a spinoff TV show are in development. That changes my score - I'm gonna give him a 50%. There are still obstacles, of course - The Shining is an R rated horror movie and Johnny is just a guy with an axe, but the simple fact that Warner is going to want to promote Shining spinoffs (plus the iconic-ness of the original movie) is enough for me to humor him, giving him coin flip 50/50. It could really go either way.

Noms: Another Steven Universe rep x15

KillerCage

Smash Master
So how was you bid to be the next Captain Falcon, Johnny Cage?

Due to my bias against Mortal Kombat, I'll be abstaining from giving a want and chance score. I will say this: out of the MK cast, Johnny is among my favorites. Also Johnny Cage vs Captain Falcon is the best Season 6 episode of Death Battle.

We are Runawaiacs! Wait, wrong group. We are Animaniacs!

Once again, I have to abstain. This time it's due to me being unable to add anything to the discussion. I'm just not an Animaniacs guy.

Jack Torrance found the red rum!

Abstain time again! The reason: I never read the book nor watched the movie. It doesn't like something I would enjoy.

My noms:
William Cage (Edge of Tomorrow) x5
Discord (My Little Pony) x5
The Doctor (Doctor Who) x5

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Would I be allowed to nominate Walter White? I'm not sure if he has a Warner connection (and I'm not sure if that's required to nominate anymore), but even if he doesn't I think there's one reason he should be considered as an exception: for some reason he's the meme request for the game. Player First Games seems really receptive to memes, and if this manages to hold I think he holds a good(man) shot. If I am allowed to nominate him, I'm putting all of my nominations towards him.

Also, I don't know if future 3-day rounds need to go on for so long, we haven't had a post here since Thursday. I don't want to sound like I'm rushing you to make a decision (I know how annoying it can be for people to be begging for an update in one of your threads), but I think it's something to consider.

ᑐᑌᑎᑕ

Smash Cadet
Would I be allowed to nominate Walter White? I'm not sure if he has a Warner connection (and I'm not sure if that's required to nominate anymore), but even if he doesn't I think there's one reason he should be considered as an exception: for some reason he's the meme request for the game. Player First Games seems really receptive to memes, and if this manages to hold I think he holds a good(man) shot. If I am allowed to nominate him, I'm putting all of my nominations towards him.

Also, I don't know if future 3-day rounds need to go on for so long, we haven't had a post here since Thursday. I don't want to sound like I'm rushing you to make a decision (I know how annoying it can be for people to be begging for an update in one of your threads), but I think it's something to consider.
For the purposes of the thread, there needs to be a WB connection. Shame, because I would love to do a writeup on Walt.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

I did some research and from what I saw, Breaking Bad doesn't have any connections to Warner Bros. For this thread, a character's franchise needs to have at least one product produced or distributed by Warner Bros for them to be nominated. So I'm afraid to say that I won't allow Walter White to be nominated. I get that he's a major request and the Breaking Bad universe is very popular, but I need to draw the line somewheres. Otherwise, people will be asking for certain characters to be exceptions as well and that's a slippery slope.

Now if a character with zero Warner Bros connections gets in, then yeah I'll open up the floodgates. But for now I'm playing it safe since a speculation scene with endless possibilities will look completely different from our perspective here. Warner Bros does have connections to a large portion of the entertainment medium which makes speculation wide and difficult at times. But at least we have a limit on where to speculate, as opposed to speculating it like Fortnite.

As for the day going on for this long, to be honest I didn't realize how many days have passed lol. I thought we would have had a few more ratings at this point. Unfortunately though I won't be able to end the day until tomorrow night since I have work tomorrow.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
For the purposes of the thread, there needs to be a WB connection. Shame, because I would love to do a writeup on Walt.
I did some research and from what I saw, Breaking Bad doesn't have any connections to Warner Bros. For this thread, a character's franchise needs to have at least one product produced or distributed by Warner Bros for them to be nominated. So I'm afraid to say that I won't allow Walter White to be nominated. I get that he's a major request and the Breaking Bad universe is very popular, but I need to draw the line somewheres. Otherwise, people will be asking for certain characters to be exceptions as well and that's a slippery slope.

Now if a character with zero Warner Bros connections gets in, then yeah I'll open up the floodgates. But for now I'm playing it safe since a speculation scene with endless possibilities will look completely different from our perspective here. Warner Bros does have connections to a large portion of the entertainment medium which makes speculation wide and difficult at times. But at least we have a limit on where to speculate, as opposed to speculating it like Fortnite.

As for the day going on for this long, to be honest I didn't realize how many days have passed lol. I thought we would have had a few more ratings at this point. Unfortunately though I won't be able to end the day until tomorrow night since I have work tomorrow.
Walter White Falling GIF - Walter White Falling Fast - Discover & Share GIFs

this is the moment PeridotGX PeridotGX became The Joker

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
That Gif is basically Walter White when he realizes he's not owned by Warner Brothers.
"Jesse, we need to find a way to get a Warner connection. To help us I will Better Call Saul"
1659241140515.png

"Don't worry, Walter White. I have an ironclad scheme that will get you slugging Steven Universe in no time"
1659241257127.png

"Mister Warner, why don't you buy the television channel UniMas? Lots of fine content there, would give a new market for HBOMAX"
1659241630860.png

"I did it, Walter White. They bought UniMas, you have your connection"
1659241257127.png

"Goddamit Saul I have became Walter Blanco from Metastasis"
Walter Blanco Fall GIF - Walter Blanco Fall - Discover & Share GIFs

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A dull boy

Chance: 18%
Jack Torrance is the protagonist of the Stanley Kubrick horror film The Shining. A frustrated writer battling with alcoholism and domestic stagnation, Jack takes his wife Wendy and son Danny to a retreat at the Overlook Hotel, which is closing for the winter and needs a caretaker. What he hopes will be a break instead takes a turn for the sinister, as his past, the hotel's origins, Danny's skills and an unfortunate storm all combine to turn Jack into a deranged killer who might have gone insane, or might be under the influence of something far, far worse...

The Shining is considered a masterpiece for Stanley Kubrick (high praise when considering his other works) and is frequently considered one of, if not the scariest movie of all time. While it initially received middling reviews and moderate box office, it was reappraised and is now considered a must watch for any lovers of the medium. It's kind of a legendary movie in many regards, from its characters and quotes, to unforgettable moments like the twins, the elevator full of blood, or "all work and no play" (just to name a few), and of course the iconic and labyrinthine Overlook, one of the great film locations – even the floor pattern is iconic. Countless analysis have been written about the meaning of the movie and what exactly is real in it, and if you've seen it, you'll probably have your own takeEveryone has likely been exposed to an element of The Shining, that is the scope of its impact.

Now, granted, a lot of movies are big. But would WB concern themselves with this cult classic from 1980? Yes, they would, for a couple of reasons. One: The Shining is totally a franchise now. It had a sequel, Doctor Sleep, release in 2019, and plans exists for anything from sequels to spin-offs to prequels both in film and television. Turns out Stephen King adaptations are super hot and when you have the rights to something as iconic as the Overlook, well you start coming up with ideas to use it. Two: Ready Player One. The famous crossover of everything nerdy had an extended sequence taking place in a recreation of the Overlook, lovingly recreated. While this was a Spielberg film and the sequence an homage from him to his good friend and collaborator, it's still putting Kubrick on the same level as Street Fighter, Back to the Future, and all the other pop culture touchstones. So I don't think WB sees it as a sacred cow or something untouchable.

With that in mind, Jack is admittedly just a regular guy who goes loony, but... well, who else would represent it? Nicholson as Torrance is iconic and I don't see any other viable characters unless they take a lot of liberties to make Danny or Abra a straight up PK kid. There's enough to make Jack work (and play).

Want: 100%
The Shining is just so freaking good. It gets better every time you watch it honestly. In this day of elevated horror that scares you with meaning, the greatest example might still be the OG. Shining is absolutely terrifying, and the way it does it is by disorienting the viewer completely and ratcheting up the tension to the point where you can't keep up and then BAM. You scared. But when you already know what happens (or, allegedly happens) you can see it in so many new lenses, focused on the many different aspects that never quite fit together completely but instead lead down their own avenues. How much of The Shining is meant to be literal? Are the ghosts real or is it all in everyone's heads? What is the Overlook? What's the nature of Jack? Does anyone involved have free will or is the entire event a twisted fate? Is it a metaphor for filmmaking? Marriage and masculinity? The slaughter of Native Americans? Did Kubrick fake the Moon landing? There's no getting to the bottom of all this symbolism and that makes for a movie that is timeless.

Jack Nicholson is a legend who delivers a performance as one of the all-time great horror villains (if he can even be considered that) and I think he totally deserves to be immortalized in this manner. If Freddy and Jason et al are down the road, then I want a showdown with Jack Torrance. Let us prove that maybe the greatest monsters aren't the undead and the supernatural.

--

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

Chance: 12%
Johnny Cage is one of the most popular MK characters and most important canon-wise in both timelines. He's one of the originals. He was also considered big enough to leave as the big end-credits tease in the MK movie (tbf that was also probably to combat backlash for him not appearing even though the main character might as well have been replaced by him). I think everyone involved knows how much people care about him.

Still, Mortal Kombat will probably get Scorpion and Sub-Zero. After them, who knows if they will go for a third character? You could argue the franchise is well represented with the ninjas. Even if they decide to go for a third, Johnny isn't a lock with competition like Liu Kang, Sonya Blade, Raiden, Shao Khan, Jax, Kano, Kung Lao, there's tons of franchise stalwarts that have as big a claim to fame as Johnny. He has proven incredibly popular and WB is clearly aware of that but who knows if that's enough to give him an edge.

Yes I do want to punch Lebron in the nuts

--

Warner Bros.

Chance: 100%
This is a silly topic to discuss, Warner Bros. owns the game so of course they'd be-

gets slapped
Oh. Those Warner Brothers.

Chance: 80%
I think they'd be crazy not to.

So, Animaniacs. Anarchic, no-holds-barred, genre-defining Animaniacs. One of the defining cartoons of the 90s, which, along with Tiny Toon Adventures, dragged the Looney Tunes and Warner Bros. Animation by the neck right into relevance. It had crazy good ratings, making Fox Kids not only competitive but a winner (doubling the ratings of competition like Darkwing Duck). It was also highly acclaimed and had a sizable adult fandom (which, according to Wikipedia, was one of the first online fandoms!) It would eventually spawn a spin-off (Pinky and the Brain), a spin-off of the spin-off (just add Elmyra to the former), a movie, and now a modern revival (which is apparently really good and I really need to watch).

Wakko, Yakko and Dot have over 100 episodes of cartoon anarchy to pull moveset ideas from. They're beloved by multiple generations of fans and have, to my knowledge, posted tons of demand for a playable spot for this game. Animaniacs is still relevant with the revival being in its third season. So, yeah, I think the powers that be would have to be totally insaney to miss out on this one. So why the (relatively) low score of 80%?

Well, and this is just me playing Devil's advocate, but there are a couple of minor hiccups that could lead to exclusion. Animaniacs isn't completely WB owned. Amblin, Steven Spielberg's production company, was behind its creation and shares ownership. Weird that characters called the Warners aren't owned by Warner but yeah, them's the breaks. Now Spielberg is a free agent with fingers in every pie. As a director alone: his upcoming film The Fabelmans is to be produced by Universal, but his latest, West Side Story, was at Disney/20th Century, and the one before that was Ready Player One at WB. That's not even getting into his countless producing credits. So the Animaniacs could probably be licensed, it'd just cost money. Unless WB owns the name and likeness to Lebron James now, the game definitely can afford it. Another issue could be that the Animaniacs revival is going strong... at Hulu. Disney-owned Hulu (oh the irony). Maybe WB doesn't want to give a rival streaming service free advertising, and instead decide to spotlight their other incredibly popular 90s cartoon that has a modern revival that will air on HBO Max instead (Tiny Toons. I- I'm talking about Tiny Toons.) Again, just advocating for Mr. Satan here! I feel confident they'll go this path because much like Beetlejuice the demand and moveset potential is too strong and too glaring to ignore. But there are outside forces at play (Spielberg and Disney are not forces to be trifled with).

Personally I'd like to see them do all three siblings as one fighter. But that's just because I've been jonesing for a trio fighter in a game like this ever since the Chorus Kids got cut. But I'm open to any interpretation of them the devs would do.

I absolutely adore Animaniacs. One of my favorite animated shows ever. I'd like to get into why with detail but that would take a lot of time and I have to board a plane.

Noms: Elvis

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Heeere's a finisher!

Chance: 50%

Johnny Cage is in an interesting spot. He's part of the original 7 characters and thus a mainstay who has gotten a lot of development in the recent games. But at the same time there are a lot of Mortal Kombat characters that make as much sense as him. I don't doubt we'll get several Mortal Kombat characters, but after Scorpion and Sub-Zero where do you go from there? Do you add the main villain Shao Kahn? Or the popular picks like Goro, Baraka or Mileena? Or do you go for more of the main cast, which beyond Johnny consists of characters like Sonya, Jax, Liu Kang and Raiden (All of whom are quite popular as well)? It's tough to know which direction they will go in terms of reps, let alone how many MK characters we'll get.

Hey, as long as we don't get like 10 Mortal Kombat characters I'd be down with a good portion of MK's roster and Johnny is no exception. He's a very fun character with him being a cocky, carefree individual whose shenanigans add a nice juxtaposition to the mostly serious cast of Mortal Kombat. His character development is also a sight to behold.

anime-niacs

Chance: 80%

Yeah I don't think I need to go in depth with this one. Animaniacs is an iconic cartoon that appeals to different generations and has gotten a recent reboot. I have no doubt Warner Bros is thinking about incorporating this IP since it fits so well with MultiVersus with an almost endless potential for a wacky moveset and customization stuff to include. Barring any legal problems (which I imagine won't happen in this case since Steven Spielberg is still working with WB on the reboot series and he seems to have a very good relationship with WB), this should be a slam dunk for Animaniacs.

Want: 60%

I watched some of the cartoons when I was little. They were moderately entertaining for me but nothing I was crazy about. It's an inclusion that I'd say I would appreciate more rather than actively be excited for.

Heeeree's my axe to your face!

Chance: 35%

The Shining is an absolute classic and is often considered one of the best horror films of all time. Its use of psychological horror, growing tension, and iconic imagery are what pushes it up to the status of the famous horror franchises like Nightmare and Friday the 13th. Not only that, but Warner Bros loves it, they directly referenced it in Ready Player One, Doctor Sleep got a film adaptation recently, and there have been talks of more films connected to The Shining. So Warner Bros has something really special here. Jack may not be as flashy or creative as other horror icons, but I think his legacy alone pushes his chances high.

Want: 90%

The Shining isn't quite one of my favorite horror films, but it's one that I still get a kick out of and as a huge horror nut, I would be ecstatic to see The Shining get content in the game. Jack Nicholson is the GOAT. He's great in a lot of his performances, but his role in The Shining is iconic for a reason. You can really see his psyche falter as the film progresses and it makes for a chilling performance. It's over the top, but it works because of the lonely and unnerving atmosphere of the film. It's one of those films that everyone should see since you could interpret it in so many way.

Noms:
Discord x20
Pennywise x5

Calcs for the trio are coming soonish.

Noms List - Before Lockdown

75+
William Cage x95
Roger Smith x78

50-74
Elvis x70
Discord (MLP) x70
Goku x63
Monkey D. Luffy x62
Kyoko Sakura x56

25-49
Pennywise x45
Jotaro Kujo x43
Audrey II x42
Grim x40
Steve Urkel x40
Six Flags content x37
Blue Beetle/Jaime Reyes x35
Marceline x30
Wile E. Coyote x25

1-24
The Mask x22
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Sailor Moon x21
John Gotti x20
Jason Voorhees x20
Mob x20
Courage x20
Mac & Bloo x18
Concept: Another Steven Universe rep x15
Jackie Chan x11
Leonardo (TMNT) x10
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Evangelion character x10
Simon the Digger x10
Alfred E. Neuman x9
Snow Miser x7
Jolyne Cujoh x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Harry Hill x5
The Doctor x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

THESE CHARACTERS ARE NOW LOCKED DOWN. NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE NULL & VOID.
Day 79 - William Cage (Edge of Tomorrow) and Roger Smith (The Big O)
Day 80 - Elvis Presley and Discord (My Little Pony)
Day 81 - Goku (Dragon Ball) and Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
Day 82 - Kyoko Sakura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) and Pennywise (IT)
Day 83 - Jotaro Kujo (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure) and Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors)
Day 84 - Grim (Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy) and Steve Urkel (Family Matters)
Day 85 - Concept: Six Flags content and Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle (DC Comics)

Noms List - After Lockdown

75+

50-74

25-49
Marceline x30
Wile E. Coyote x25

1-24
The Mask x22
Spike (Gremlins) x21
Sailor Moon x21
John Gotti x20
Jason Voorhees x20
Mob x20
Courage x20
Mac & Bloo x18
Concept: Another Steven Universe rep x15
Jackie Chan x11
Leonardo (TMNT) x10
John Stewart x10
Rosie The Robot x10
Evangelion character x10
Simon the Digger x10
Alfred E. Neuman x9
Snow Miser x7
Jolyne Cujoh x7
**** Grayson x6
Osmosis Jones x5
Harry Hill x5
The Doctor x5
John J. Sheridan x4
Shana x2
Jarro x1
Godzooky x1

Day over.

Rate William Cage from Edge of Tomorrow, as well as Roger Smith from The Big O.

Some videos to get into the mood to fight on the edge:

And here are some videos to get into the mood to negotiate with mechs:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm going to abstain from Roger Smith from the Big O, as I am not that familiar with it.

As for Edge of Tomorrow...

Chance: 30%

Edge of Tomorrow is a 2014 movie about William Cage who is forced into an no win invasion. But because he was covered in the blood of one of the aliens before he died he gained the ability to loop time, eventually using this to defeat the aliens.

As for the film itself, it did reasonably well, making back it's budget and then some while also garnering decent reviews. That said, Warner Bros doesn't seem to advertise this movie as much as other similar blockbuster movies when they air on cable. In addition, the film never received a HBO Max release (at least in the U.S., doing a quick search shows that the film is available internationally) which is unusual considering other films released in that timeframe were put on the service. Of course, content on that service changes all the time (especially recently with the WBD merger resulting in a ton of HBO Max originals being pulled from the service among other shows, mostly from TBS. Someone ping me if one of the characters we rate in the future comes from Snowpiercer, Final Space, or another TBS show/HBO Max Original for a better explanation) so it may have been available at some point, but as of now, it is a purchase only film.

Want: 50%

When I watched this movie last year, I admit I don't remember much of it. Looking at the movie poster and the only idea I have is that William Cage fights in some sort of mechanical body? Other than that I have many other characters I would want to see first.

Noms: All to Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)

Also I have a quick clarification question regarding noms. As the rules state, all characters nominated must have some connection to Warner Bros. Would this also apply to Discovery owned characters such as the Mythbusters since they are technically part of the Warner Family as of earlier this year?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Also I have a quick clarification question regarding noms. As the rules state, all characters nominated must have some connection to Warner Bros. Would this also apply to Discovery owned characters such as the Mythbusters since they are technically part of the Warner Family as of earlier this year?
I'm gonna say yes, since I've already been accepting characters from any branch under Warner Bros, such as New Line Cinema and Rooster Teeth. And with that merging with Discovery, their IPs are pretty much now the property of Warner Bros'.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
"I Don't Remember Doing Either. But Then Again, That's Ether Signature Move"
Roger Smith
His Theme: Roger's Cilantro
40% I've Seen American Dad and i am pretty familiar with who Roger is, i don't know if he'd be possible for Multiversus, although American Dad would be okay to have......Huh?.....It's Not Roger The Alien?.....You Mean this Isn't American Dad?.....Big O?.....Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh, I see now.

Roger Smith
Abstain: I have never watched Big O, The Only Times i was familiar with it was the death battle crew talking about in their podcast before and seeing it on the list of Toonami shows & it airing on adults swim once, i think? But that's all i can say.

William Cage
Abstain: I never heard of William until now and i have never seen Edge of Tomorrow or at least forgot about it then saw trailers premiering a long time ago,

I would rate his chances in the middle or lower from what SneakyLink brought up however i am not too sure if i can believe this or not, i'll have to hear everyone else's thoughts on his chances to get a better idea, though the next time i see a character i don't know i'll probably do some research.

Let's See If I Do This Right
Nominees:
Mob: 5 Points
Courage: 5 Points

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I didn't know Sonic's voice actor was from O!

Chance - 6%. I gave the characters yesterday high chances, I suppose it only makes sense the pendulum swings the other way today. There are just a lot of obstacles that are standing in the way of this guy getting in. For starters, The Big O is at a bit of a disadvantage being an anime. I don't think anime is off the table or anything (tomorrow will show that), but it isn't a beneficial trait: literally every character currently on the roster comes from an American IP (unless you want to count the book that lightly inspired the Iron Giant). The language barrier might be a small obstacle, especially because he isn't owned by Warner. Smith's WB connection is a weak one: his show released in America in Toonami, with absolutely no connection otherwise. The series is owned by a subsidiary of AMC, which is a company that might be receptive to being in this game but has a lot of IP that would be competing for a slot (most notably
1659324332555.png
) Again, I think third parties are absolutely happening (and I wouldn't mind them as much as it seems people here would), but it doesn't help matters at all. Both of these obstacles aren't insurmountable, but when combined with a third essentially bury all hope for this guy to get added: The Big O is just really obscure. I didn't know it existed before I started writing this. It seems to be a cult classic, which might give it a shot if it was owned by Warner, but I absolutely can't see Warner going after this obscure anime when so many more famous ones are on the table. I gave him an extra 5% because you never know, it might get a reboot or something.

Want: Abstain. Like I said, I didn't know existed until about half an hour ago.

Superior Iron Man

Chance - 55%. Better odds than I gave Roger Smith, but still not too high. Speaking of coincidences between today's duo, Edge of Tomorrow is actually based on a Japanese novel called All You Need Is Kill, which would go on to get a manga adaptation but never an anime. I know I gave Smith a hard time for being from Japan, but I don't actually think it matters too much (especially if Warner actually has the rights, which is the case here). The novel/anime follow an inexperienced soldier in an alien invasion, trapped in a groundhog-day loop every time he dies. The movie had some major movie stars (Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt) and had good reviews, but it seems to have been a disappointment at the box office, only grossing ~375 million against a 200 mil budget. Warner hasn't done much with the movie since, it's without a cameo in either Ready Player One or Space Jam and it isn't even on HBOMax in America (though likely due to some licensing oddity and not a slight against this movie in particular). That being said, I don't think the series is dead, and by extension the chances for William Cage to get in Multiversus. Despite the lack of the original movie on the platform, a spinoff series has been confirmed to be in development for HBOMax. In regards to the silver screen, people at Warner have been flirting with the idea of a sequel since the release of the original. Despite a grim outlook, the massive success of Top Gun Maverick (a movie starring Tom Cruise) of all things might be the ticket to getting it greenlit. With a show in active development, another movie potentially being worked on, and a decent amount of moveset potential, I could genuinely see William Cage getting in - but it all depends on if the series actually gets it's second chance.

Want - Abstain. I haven't seen this movie, but honestly writing this got me invested in seeing it. If only it was on a streaming service...

Noms: Another Steven Universe rep X maximum

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On your feet, maggot!

Chance: 10%
William Cage is the protagonist of the 2014 sci-fi action movie Edge of Tomorrow (also known as Live. Die. Repeat.) The pitch: humanity is in the midst of a war against the alien Mimics. Major William Cage, a cowardly PR stooge with no combat experience, blackmails the wrong person and finds himself demoted to private and sent to the frontlines to die. And die he does. Except that when he does, Cage wakes up the morning before the mission, with all his memories intact. With this ability to loop time, and the aid of war hero Rita Vrataski, Cage will try to save humanity from their doomed war.

The movie reviewed great but did poorly in the box office. It's often attributed to poor marketing that didn't explain the concept well and the generic name (hence why the movie was retitled for its Blu-ray release, with a name that is much more self-explanatory). The home release allegedly sold very well, so the movie could be considered something of a cult classic. There are reportedly plans for a sequel (aptly titled Live Die Repeat and Repeat) and a show on HBO Max, so this is a potential franchise here!

Honestly, the main reason I think Cage could be chosen is that Tom Cruise is bigger than he's ever been with the success of Top Gun Maverick, and so they might want to capitalize on that. Cruise has a great working relationship with EoT director Doug Liman and after the final Mission: Impossible duology this could be his next project. Or WB could just scream at the devs "put Tom Cruise in the game!" and this is their IP!

The moveset possibilities are pretty cool, you have a future soldier with futuristic weapons, including powered armor, and time loops. Dunno how you make time loops work in a multiplayer platform fighter but you can't deny something interesting would come out of it.

I freaking love this movie. Fun fact: the light novel it was based on was inspired by the concept of videogames and how characters in them respawn. That shows so well in how Cage "sequence breaks" by learning things before he should be able to, or doing perfect runs through sheer practice alone. This allows for great action and black comedy as Cage has to die over and over. Cage and Rita are also just great characters, as a complete smug asshole who has to step up and a battle-hardened badass with imposter syndrome who predictably clash over their egos. And both get great development over the course of the film which is impressive for a blockbuster. It won't change your life but it's really enjoyable. Hope the sequel pulls through!

Edit: after reading other people's posts and remembering my own experience with the Big O I'll give Roger a 75% want. I'm not a huge fan or anything but the show was cool and he has strong potential here. For chance however is a big fat 0% because Sunrise is involved and there's no timeline in which that doesn't mean Spike Spiegel gets the nod instead. Better luck next time, space cowboy.

Noms: after seriously considering whether this would be a good idea, I decided that with all the classic films we've discussed, we can't ignore the movie that sold the most tickets ever.

Concept: Gone with the Wind content

At least it'll present interesting discussion!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Abstaining on Edge of Tomorrow. When I first saw the trailers I thought "oh, so Hollywood does Steins;Gate but lame" but the more I found out about it and its origins the more invested I got. I plan on watching the film sooner rather than later, it's just not in the cards right this moment. It sounds awesome, though.

Anyway...now for my OTHER Most Wanted...

Roger Smith (The Big O) - "Big O! Showtime!"

Chance:
10%
First, let's talk about what The Big O is. The Big O is a show that aired on Cartoon Network and Toonami in 2001. It is created by the company Sunrise, who does many mecha shows including Gundam, and it was inspired heavily by Batman: The Animated Series as shown in the strong, sharp artstyle and clear references to Bruce Wayne present in Roger.

1659358473879.png

The show is set in a city where almost all of the population has lost their memory and society had to be rebuilt in just a few decades. Roger is a "Negotiator", a contracted bounty hunter who does dirty jobs for crooked folks - mostly to make sure things don't go more sideways than they already are. He is a billionaire with access to spy gadgets and fancy tech, including a mysterious underground robot called The Big O. In the first episode he rescues a battle android named Dorothy, and the two become close friends. Their partnership is a backbone of the series and part of what makes it so gripping and engaging. It's a series about their attempts to dig into the past, fight strange enemies, and work together to exist in a cruel cyberpunk city while defending it from terrible threats, all while growing closer.

This show was actually not very popular in Japan. In fact, it was originally meant to be a 24-episode show but was cut down to 12. In America it's a different story. This is in many ways one of THE anime that really brought the style to the mainstream in the US. People will rightfully credit the fervor that Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon kickstarted, but The Big O was a smash hit in its own right...to the point that this show DID get 12 more episodes because Cartoon Network itself bankrolled them. That's how popular the show was! With that said, I think that its time has in fact passed, as evidenced by how few people know of it these days. I wouldn't call it a flash-in-the-pan as big time old school anime fans remember it super fondly and it's still popular in certain circles but it's not the hit it once was.

So, yeah, the thing is, this show is absolutely friggin' awesome. I knew of it growing up but it wasn't until I watched it more recently that I realized how good it was. It's so slick, it's so stylish, and the deep character moments between Roger and Dorothy along with the strange tech-heavy world makes it utterly enthralling. It's a deeply symbolic and fascinating show and yet has absolutely slick killer action to boot. Roger himself would likely have Dorothy in his moveset, and she's my favorite! Roger is Bruce Wayne, he's James Bond, he has tons of spy gadgets and a butler who knows karate and a combat android as a best friend and basically he'd have so much cool stuff in his kit and would represent a fantastic TV show to boot.

Have I mentioned he has a cool mech?!

Or that the theme song is amazing and most of the series is available on Youtube??

If my writeup has made you at all interested, by all means stop by the support thread! We'd love to have you!

Nominations: The Gilmore Girls xMax

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining on William Cage

-----

Roger Smith

Chance: 5%
Fly summarized it best in that The Big O was pretty popular in the West in the early 2000's but is relatively obscure today. This in turn leads to the big thing hurting Roger in that his series isn't really something that can be used to promote something unlike most of the currently confirmed characters.

Another issue comes from The Big O being owned by Sunrise, who also happens to own another popular anime series you might've heard of called Cowboy Bepop. Much like with TBO, Cowboy Bepop was another Western popular anime from around the same era (whose main character is also English dubbed by Steve Blum) but is way more popular. That series has much greater relevancy since it's always talked about and just recently got a (really awful) Netflix adaptation. So if we're talking Sunrise reps then I think we'd see someone like Spike Spiegel or Faye Valentine before a TBO rep.

On the bright side of things, TBO was still really popular in the West to the point where Cartoon Network funded the second season. TBO also found a home in several Super Robot Wars games released in Japan over the last 15 years or so. And the issue of Big O's size shouldn't be too much of an issue thanks to Iron Giant.

I recently saw The Big O for the first time and enjoyed it a lot. Best pitch I can give someone to sell them onto the show: Batman The Animated Series meets Cowboy Bepop, with mech fights. I'm down for pretty much any of the main characters getting in, specifically Roger and Dorothy. Roger would be fun to use whether it's just him fighting by himself or using Big O.

Oh and TBO also has a really amazing soundtrack that would be great to hear while fighting:

-----

Noms
Since Luffy and Goku are locked into the schedule, I guess I'll throw all of my noms towards Naruto Uzumaki

D

Deleted member

Chance- 15%
Edge of Tommorow is a film based on the light novel All You Need Is Kill. This is a WB ip, and the characters where invented for the film. So there's no rela rights issues. But it's kind of just one film. Said film, while both criticaly well received and with a fandom following, didn't exactly set the world on fire in terms of box office. There's has been talk of a sequal but hasn't been much movement. Cruise and Blunt are both interested, but it's went through some development troubles. However. A spin off show was announced for HBO Max, so the franchise does have some future. With the success of Top Gun: Maverick and the mission impossible franchise, we're kind of living in a Tom Cruise renaissance, so I'd say a sequal of some kind isn't impossible. The film makes sense for a video game as it's all about dying and coming back and plays heavily on game tropes. There's one potential issue. And that is the main star, Tom Cruise. It's been said that Cruise doesn't like to use his likeness for action figures or video games, and there is a weird lack of them. They could possibly use Emily Blunt's Rita Vrataski (aka the Full Metal B*tch), but Cruise is kind of the main draw. However, considering Mission Impossible's Ethan Hunt did make it into Lego Dimensions, I think this rule is proablly just an old showbiz urban legend, or at least there are exceptions. I could see this film getting a rep if someone on the team pushes for it, or if that sequal ever happens and WB want to promote it, but I dont think it's currently super high on the list.

Want - 20%
Sure! I really liked this film. It has such a cool premise and setting. The characters feel perfect for a fighting game and the armor is really cool. William himself isn't necessarily a character I'm super attached to, and I've never been a huge Tom Cruise fan, but there's no doubt this could be a cool character. The time loop element of the film could lead to a very fun and creative moveset that I think the team could do wonders with.

Chance - 5%
The Big O is a cult classic anime. It's known for being super stylish. It's like if Bruce Wayne was James Bond and also piloted a Gundam. It does have some WB connection. Dispite being cut short when it first aired in Japan, the series was pretty popular when it aired on Toonami and Cartoon Network, to the point where they bankrolled another series exclusively for the network years later in 2013. It definitely has its fans but its also definitely not on the level of some other potential anime IP's. We know character size is not an issue for this game, and the devs have teased we're gonna get more giant characters. I do think we're gonna get anime characters, Tony has said as much. But I just think it'll be reserved for super popular IP's. Even as Sunrise goes there's the likes of Gundam and and Cowboy Bobop to contend with. If someone on the team pushes for this then i don't think it's impossible, but I think it just faces a lot of competition.

Want - 25%
I watched some of this show a long time ago. And while my memory can be pretty hazy, i remember it being pretty cool. A character who can be both a James Bond style super spy and a mech user just has bondless potential for a game like this. The artsyle rocks too. Rodger facing off with Batman is just meant to be.

Noms to Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Johnny Cage
Chance: 46%
Want: 62.5%

Concept: Animaniacs rep
Chance: 89.63%
Want: 76.33%

Jack Torrance
Chance: 26.71%
Want: 75%

"I Don't Remember Doing Either. But Then Again, That's Ether Signature Move"
Roger Smith
His Theme: Roger's Cilantro
40% I've Seen American Dad and i am pretty familiar with who Roger is, i don't know if he'd be possible for Multiversus, although American Dad would be okay to have......Huh?.....It's Not Roger The Alien?.....You Mean this Isn't American Dad?.....Big O?.....Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh, I see now.

Roger Smith
Abstain: I have never watched Big O, The Only Times i was familiar with it was the death battle crew talking about in their podcast before and seeing it on the list of Toonami shows & it airing on adults swim once, i think? But that's all i can say.

William Cage
Abstain: I never heard of William until now and i have never seen Edge of Tomorrow or at least forgot about it then saw trailers premiering a long time ago,

I would rate his chances in the middle or lower from what SneakyLink brought up however i am not too sure if i can believe this or not, i'll have to hear everyone else's thoughts on his chances to get a better idea, though the next time i see a character i don't know i'll probably do some research.

Let's See If I Do This Right
Nominees:
Mob: 5 Points
Courage: 5 Points
Evangelion Character: 5 Points
Simon the Digger: 5 Points
You only earned 10 noms buddy

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Abstain on chance and want on William Cage. I never heard of him until now.

Roger Smith

Chance- 50%
One of the rare anime characters that I think has over a 45% chance. I don't think Sunrise is a big enough hurdle for Roger, given it co-produced Big-O with Cartoon Network. So I don't think Sunrise would mind as much if Roger was considered in Multiversus. Also Big-O the series having positive international reception would help Roger too.

Want-85%
He is up there in my wants, since Roger is a pretty cool character from what I've seen of Big-O. Also pretty cool to see a mecha pilot in this game too.

Noms
Sailor Moon- x5

KillerCage

Smash Master
William Cage is in charge of his own destiny.

Chances- 35%

Oh boy! Another Japanese property this time going by the name of "All You Need is Kill"! A property that never got an anime adaption it got a Hollywood film title "Edge of Tomorrow" that was very well recieved? You don't see that every day. Anyway I don't have much to offer to Cage's discussion. Everyone else has covered everything I could have brought up.

Want- 100%

I got a confession to make. Edge of Tomorrow is one of if not my favorite movie ever! I saw the film in theaters and I bought the manga adaption of All You Need is Kill. That's how much I love this movie! If William Cage manages to get into MultiVerses, I will die of happiness!

Roger Smith AKA Batman in a giant robot!

I have to abstain. I have heard of "The Big O" but never seen it. I never had the means to watch it.

My noms:
The Doctor (Doctor Who) x10
Code Lyoko rep x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Video Game The Movie

Chance: 15%

I can only echo what GoodGrief said since I think he hit the nail on the head. Edge of Tomorrow performed just well enough to reportedly get a spin-off show on HBO Max. I think that's going to be the saving grace for him, that and Tom Cruise is still a wildly popular actor which makes him an attractive option for a roster pick. But depending on how successful the spin-off and any sequels will be is going to be the deciding factor whether Cage makes it into the roster.

Want: 50%

I've heard about this film, in fact it was discussed in one of my college classes as an example of how closely linked movies and video games have become (It was a media class that went over the history of books, newspapers, radio, TV, etc). It's a film that is on my radar, I just haven't had the urge to watch it. But Cage wielding futuristic weapons does sound neat.

Batman X Gundam

Chance: Abstain

This might be the first time I'm ever ever abstaining on a score. It's simply because it's hard for me to gauge the likelihood of Roger even with research as I haven't seen a single episode.

Want: 90%

But the premise has me sold. Bruce Wayne in a Gundam suit? Who doesn't want to see that?

Noms: Jason Voorhees x10

Day over.

Rate Elvis Presley, as well as Discord from My Little Pony.

Here are some music from the recent Warner Bros film to get into the mood to discuss the King of Rock & Roll:

And here are some videos to get into the mood for disharmony:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm not posting my rankings quite yet, but there's been some interesting Warner information lately. Batgirl and Scoob, two movies that were 95% done, have been announced to be scrapped, just not releasing ever. Additionally, some HBO Max originals have been deleted off the service. Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but a leaker claims to have a scoop on what's happening over at Warner-Discovery.
While this leak might not be real, what is real is that there'll be a Warner/Discovery presentation tomorrow, where we find out what the company's plans are. I personally think this is the tip of the iceberg, Zaslav has hardly made his plans to cut costs a secret.

In Summary:
Discovery.png

While this isn't directly relevant to Multiversus, I think it'll have knock-on effects. Off the top of my head, I'd be willing to bet money that the Edge of Tomorrow show, which was part of why I gave Cage a high score yesterday, is dead in the water. Keep this in mind.

Edit: Holy **** it gets worse

Last edited:

KingOfMoths

Smash Rookie
The last day's selection wasn't the best place for me to jump on into this conversation, but this will suffice.

LeBron 2: Jail House Boogaloo:

Well, this is an interesting situation, isn't it? Just like LeBron before him, Elvis would be yet another character added to Multiversus that would hail from real life, making his addition quite the interesting prospect. Of course, the recent biographical movie on Elvis's life is a smash hit for Warner's recent movies, making over twenty-three million dollars at the box office, getting high ratings across the board, and earning the seal of approval from the singer's family. However, the big issue that stands in his way is what makes his addition unique in the first place: the fact he's a real-life person. As such, any plans or updates given to him would be needed to be approved by his estate in order to be added, and considering how Elvis is one of the most significant musicians of recent memory... such an arrangement can quickly become costly. I do think it's possible something may be worked out due to the fact the recent film was as big of a success as it is, but I personally think the price tag on it may be too imposing for PFG to act on it.

Want: 10%

Let's get the main factor out of the way: I generally dislike the idea of using real-life people in video games as playable characters. While there is nothing major striking down Elvis in particular with me, the whole idea of it brings a bunch of tough questions ("How would variants of the character be handled?", "To what extent does the person/person's estate have on what the character is able to do or say?", and "What happens if the person does something bad enough/is seen as being reprehensible enough that keeping the character as is would be in poor taste?", to name a few) that could result in his (and any other real-life person's) addition to the roster as being potentially controversial. There are some unique elements would give Elvis (sound-based attacks and funny dialogue being the pulling factors on my end), but when it comes to this, I'd prefer for this to come through a source that doesn't deliver the oddities surrounding their addition in the first place.

Not Grogar:

When it comes to Discord's chances, a big thing that needs to be answered is Hasbro's stance on MLP content appearing in Multiversus itself. This isn't something that I think they would be guaranteed to sign off on, as not only would the idea result in some scenarios that may not jive with the sugar bomb that is the series's usual atmosphere (not sure if Hasbro would be completely down to see their beloved children's mascots being blasted away with bombs or eating Arya's long pork pies, for two current examples), but there exists other series that they may push for that would generally fit with the game's tone far better, with Transformers and G.I. Joe being the two most likely in my mind. However, should Hasbro be approved of the idea of having their ponies being smashed into glue within a fighting game, there isn't much keeping Discord down. Not only does he originate from a show that rekindled the fires of MLP's stagnating popularity at the time, but he left quite a massive impression himself, being one of the most (if not the most) popular antagonists in the show, to the point an entire fan-song was made in his honor. That, combined with the fact Discord would stand-out both in appearance and in abilities compared to most of the other possible reps for MLP, leaves him as an arguable front-runner should MLP content be approved of within a game like this. For now, though, he and his equestrian ilk may have to play for third or fourth place (depending on the oddities surrounding Power Rangers' licensing) for the race to become the first Hasbro series represented in Multiversus.

Any apologies go to those who are fans of the show here, but I overall don't want MLP content in Multiversus, namely as the draw for me isn't there. I can understand the impact the series has and respect it, but when it comes to my personal preferences, I really couldn't care less about the prospect of characters from the series in a game like this. Still, there are some elements that does make the prospect of Discord ever-so-slightly more interesting, namely in how different he would be appearance-wise and the admittedly cool possibilities for his magic to be used in his moveset. Outside of these factors, however, he and other possible MLP reps fall into a category of reps that while I'll still be happy for fans of the show to get someone they like, I ultimately wouldn't add them anytime soon, should I be in charge of deciding what characters are added to this game.

Noms:
Shao Khan x10
Tetsuo Shima x10 (yes, there's a connection, as Warner has been trying to make a live-action Akira film happen for the last two decades now)

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The last day's selection wasn't the best place for me to jump on into this conversation, but this will suffice.

LeBron 2: Jail House Boogaloo:

Well, this is an interesting situation, isn't it? Just like LeBron before him, Elvis would be yet another character added to Multiversus that would hail from real life, making his addition quite the interesting prospect. Of course, the recent biographical movie on Elvis's life is a smash hit for Warner's recent movies, making over twenty-three million dollars at the box office, getting high ratings across the board, and earning the seal of approval from the singer's family. However, the big issue that stands in his way is what makes his addition unique in the first place: the fact he's a real-life person. As such, any plans or updates given to him would be needed to be approved by his estate in order to be added, and considering how Elvis is one of the most significant musicians of recent memory... such an arrangement can quickly become costly. I do think it's possible something may be worked out due to the fact the recent film was as big of a success as it is, but I personally think the price tag on it may be too imposing for PFG to act on it.

Let's get the main factor out of the way: I generally dislike the idea of using real-life people in video games as playable characters. While there is nothing major striking down Elvis in particular with me, the whole idea of it brings a bunch of tough questions ("How would variants of the character be handled?", "To what extent does the person/person's estate have on what the character is able to do or say?", and "What happens if the person does something bad enough/is seen as being reprehensible enough that keeping the character as is would be in poor taste?", to name a few) that could result in his (and any other real-life person's) addition to the roster as being potentially controversial. There are some unique elements would give Elvis (sound-based attacks and funny dialogue being the pulling factors on my end), but when it comes to this, I'd prefer for this to come through a source that doesn't deliver the oddities surrounding their addition in the first place.

Not Grogar:

When it comes to Discord's chances, a big thing that needs to be answered is Hasbro's stance on MLP content appearing in Multiversus itself. This isn't something that I think they would be guaranteed to sign off on, as not only would the idea result in some scenarios that may not jive with the sugar bomb that is the series's usual atmosphere (not sure if Hasbro would be completely down to see their beloved children's mascots being blasted away with bombs or eating Arya's long pork pies, for two current examples), but there exists other series that they may push for that would generally fit with the game's tone far better, with Transformers and G.I. Joe being the two most likely in my mind. However, should Hasbro be approved of the idea of having their ponies being smashed into glue within a fighting game, there isn't much keeping Discord down. Not only does he originate from a show that rekindled the fires of MLP's stagnating popularity at the time, but he left quite a massive impression himself, being one of the most (if not the most) popular antagonists in the show, to the point an entire fan-song was made in his honor. That, combined with the fact Discord would stand-out both in appearance and in abilities compared to most of the other possible reps for MLP, leaves him as an arguable front-runner should MLP content be approved of within a game like this. For now, though, he and his equestrian ilk may have to play for third or fourth place (depending on the oddities surrounding the Power Ranger's licensing) for the race to become the first Hasbro series represented in Multiversus.

Any apologies go to those who are fans of the show here, but I overall don't want MLP content in Multiversus, namely as the draw for me isn't there. I can understand the impact the series has and respect it, but when it comes to my personal preferences, I really couldn't care less about the prospect of characters from the series in a game like this. Still, there are some elements that does make the prospect of Discord ever-so-slightly more interesting, namely in how different he would be appearance-wise and the admittedly cool possibilities for his magic to be used in his moveset. Outside of these factors, however, he and other possible MLP reps fall into a category of reps that while I'll still be happy for fans of the show to get someone they like, I ultimately wouldn't add them anytime soon, should I be in charge of deciding what characters are added to this game.

Noms:
Shao Khan x5
Tetsuo Shima x5 (yes, there's a connection, as Warner has been trying to make a live-action Akira film happen for the last two decades now)
Welcome Aboard! I just want to let you know that since you gave each character 10+ sentences, you are eligible for 20 noms. Feel free to update your noms however you want.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm not posting my rankings quite yet, but there's been some interesting Warner information lately. Batgirl and Scoob, two movies that were 95% done, have been announced to be scrapped, just not releasing ever. Additionally, some HBO Max originals have been deleted off the service. Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but a leaker claims to have a scoop on what's happening over at Warner-Discovery.
While this leak might not be real, what is real is that there'll be a Warner/Discovery presentation tomorrow, where we find out what the company's plans are. I personally think this is the tip of the iceberg, Zaslav has hardly made his plans to cut costs a secret.

In Summary:
View attachment 357885
While this isn't directly relevant to Multiversus, I think it'll have knock-on effects. Off the top of my head, I'd be willing to bet money that the Edge of Tomorrow show, which was part of why I gave Cage a high score yesterday, is dead in the water. Keep this in mind.

Edit: Holy **** it gets worse
WELL! This changes things! In light of these rumors, I'm going to abstain from rating Discord. This sucks considering I'm the one who nominated him! As for Elvis, I'm also abstaining from giving a chance and want score. LeBron is the exception, not the rule in my opinion.

My noms: The Doctor (Doctor Who) x10

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Wumpus

Chance - 20%. Discord is a lot less complex then the other one today so I'm starting with him. That being said, there are still some very interesting aspects to discuss. For starters, My Little Pony is third party, which notable but nothing I'm particularly worried about. Warner-Discovery has a good relationship with Hasbro, I'm sure if they ask they could get content relatively easily. However, here's the thing: MLP's connection is via the Discovery side of the channel, the Warner association only came via the buyout. I'm genuinely unsure if that's a plus or a negative. On one hand, considering most of Discovery is focused on unscripted content, an MLP character would be one of the only options to add a rep from that side of the company (without going into the realm of real people). On the other, there's probably a lot of bad blood between the Warner faction and the Discovery section given what's been going on the past few days. The real reason this score is relatively low is that Discord isn't the main character of the series. If they were to add a MLP rep (which I would put at about a 50/50 shot), wouldn't they go with Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie, who are (i think?) the main characters? It might just be my Smash experience, but I can't see them going for a popular side character over a (still popular) main character. We have Finn and Steven, not Marceline and Peridot. It could still happen (my Johnny Cage comments apply), hence the non-zero chance.

Want: Abstain. I've never watched MLP, and I never would. Why would I watch such a cringe show with such a disgusting fanbase? Now if you don't mind me i will rewatch Steven Universe for the 5th time, perhaps while playing Pokemon or Minecraft.

Elvis Goddamn Presley

Chance -55%
. God, this is just so weird. Somehow the least complex part about Elvis is that he was a real person, considering Lebron James has made that largely a non-issue. We still don't know if he's a one off situation or if we're going to get more of them, but I would be willing to bet that they're at least considering it. However, there is one small difference between the two: Elvis isn't alive right now. The Elvis estate doesn't seem overly strict (at least in comparison to the other big American music star of the 20th century), but there's no way of knowing how open they would be to having Elvis being mauled by a Tazmanian Tiger. There's also an important question to ask: would a Multiversus Elvis be directly based on the musician Elvis Presley, or would he be based on actor Austin Butler's character Elvis? It's an important question to ask, and one we don't even have a precedent for because Lebron played Lebron in Space Jam. On one hand Warner would want to reference their shiny new movie, but on the other they probably don't want to make Multiversus Elvis a game of telephone. By and large though, I don't think this is a big issue.

However, my biggest Elvis holdup is about when the Elvis movie released. To coin a new phrase, I think Elvis could very easily get "Brawl'd". To explain - there were a lot of popular and relevant characters that could have very easily been added to Brawl (Chibi-Robo, Krystal, and Isaac for example), but considering they were still adding a lot of the must-haves they were passed up. By the time they were adding characters for 4, they were no longer relevant and not nearly as popular, leading to them being passed up. When it comes to Multiversus, we have a lot of datamined/leaked characters to get through (and a few other must haves, such as Daffy, Gumball, and Aquaman). Once the crowd has thinned a bit, the Elvis movie will no longer be relevant (you can't exactly make it a series), and I could see them deciding not to go with him. However, there are still some very good reasons this might not be his fate. Elvis the Musician will always be relevant, the movie has received really good reviews, and HBO is known for respecting legacy content that didn't blow up at firs-
oh yeah, Discovery is in charge now. I don't think they're going to purge Elvis, the movie did fine critically and commercially, but I don't think the Zaslav regime has much respect for a back catalog. This is all just... really weird

Want - Abstain. I'm not overly familiar with Elvis's music, and I haven't watched the biopic. I don't have anything against the guy though.

Noms: Steven Universe character x max

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright so it seems like everything WB related is on fire right now and it will probably be weeks until we can get a good read on the company's future and its priorities (unless tomorrow's quarterly investor meeting really spells it out for everyone). With that in mind, it seems like no matter what I assume, it could end up aging terribly in a matter of days, so I'm just going to ignore the ongoing developments to the best of my ability and guarantee that my posts will age poorly! That's called taking control of my life.

Taking Care of Business

Chance: 11%
Elvis. Everyone knows who Elvis is, right? King of Rock? Don't need to introduce him right? Okay moving on.

WB released a biopic about him simply titled Elvis. It was directed by Baz Luhrmann (of Moulin Rouge and The Great Gatsby fame) and stars Austin Butler as Elvis and Tom Hanks as his infamous manager Tom Parker. It received positive reviews, with particular praise going to Butler's performance, and is generally considered an early frontrunner for awards season this year. It has grossed over $200 million worldwide but its run is not over and is holding quite decently at the box office (particularly stateside, where it's projected to outgross hits such as Godzilla vs. Kong and Dune).

Now beyond being a successful and beloved movie, there's not much here that screams "platform fighter". It's an awards play about a real-life individual with no franchise potential. However the movie, if you've seen it, is an all-out blockbuster with glitz that would put even the latest Thor movie to shame. It makes Elvis larger than life and so it doesn't feel like WB treating him as a character in their roster would be crossing a line (certainly not more than having the balls to pretend LeBron James is a WB character for starring in a movie everyone hated and then forgot). As for rights, the Presley family all adored the movie and I think would be okay with this, but who knows.

Really the biggest point in favor of this is that Elvis is such an archetype in pop culture that it just makes sense to put the "official" version in a game like this. He has his crazy dance moves and his Kung Fu shtick and other rock and roll antics and his funny catchphrases and you can probably imagine him fighting in your head. Is that enough? I don't know. Did I get hyped by watching an amazing movie and nominated a not-very-likely character on a whim? Probably. Think the idea would be cool anyway? Well, in the immortal words of Elvis himself, thank you very much.

The movie is still in theaters so I will get in very little detail (just go see it). I never knew the story of Elvis before seeing it and it's so fascinating, the degree to which he was at the crossroads of history and relevant to many issues we still face today. His personal story is amazing and I got to learn so much depth about the man behind the legend and his struggles and what made him tick. The film is also stylistically overloaded in the best way and so efficient that you feel like it's going by way fast, even as all the meaning behind it creeps up on you and builds up to hit you in the end. Great movie, deserves the acclaim, might as well give Butler his Oscar already because there's no topping that.

Friendship is Tragic

Chance: 3%
I made a huge post back when we rated Pinkie Pie where I sort of explained MLP and it's precise relationship to WB and Discovery. I'll go look that up to quote it below because it still applies (and also I think it was just a neat write-up):

GoodGrief the guy who thinks his own takes are neat said:
Heh, her initials spell out PP

Chance: 19%
The MLP IP is owned by Hasbro. It has had plenty of incarnations (or generations) over the years, that have been adapted by several parties. For example, did you know that Marvel produced the G1 TV show, or that there was a movie starring Danny DeVito? Freaking rad. But, anyway, Pinkie Pie hails from the fourth generation*, the one best known for the show Friendship is Magic.

Friendship is Magic was a huge deal, in part because it, under the stewardship of Lauren Faust, bucked the trend that had defined prior toy-based animated shows by being actually kind of clever and respecting the viewer. There was also the matter of the Brony fandom, basically the show exceeded its intended demographic and reached an audience of adults that also got really into it. But regardless the show exploded and is really what 99% of people think about when they think MLP (to the point where G5 was a distant legacy sequel rather than a full-on reboot like prior gens, headcanons nonwithstanding). FiM got two spin-off shows, Equestria Girls and Pony Life, and a theatrical movie.

The network that FiM (and Pony Life, and some Equestria Girls movies and specials) ran on is co-owned between Discovery (majority stake) and Hasbro (minority stake). Discovery has now merged with Warner! So Warner not only has a history with MLP, they literally share ownership of a network, so business relations are by necessity tight.

Still, while most of G4 has found a home at Warner/Discovery, that doesn't mean they're the only game in town. The theatrical movie was at Lionsgate. The latest movie, which was meant to jumpstart G5, was going to be released by Paramount (Hasbro's main theatrical partner with stuff like Transformers and G.I. Joe) before the pandemic shunted it onto Netflix; a new show and special will soon follow. Granted, this was all before Discovery acquired Warner, and with them investing heavily in WB Animation, maybe they can woo Hasbro and MLP back to their side, but it's all very early days.

Still, what matters is, can they get the license? Many will point to C&D'd fangame Them's Fighting Herds as an example that no, because Hasbro doesn't want 'em ponies fighting. But I counter that it could be a Nintendo thing where they C&D fan stuff because they want the option to make it themselves for cash (see Metroid 2 remakes, Mario Battle Royale, their entire stance on emulation). Also consider: the recent Chip 'n Dale reboot, a takedown of Hollywood trends with lots of adult jokes, got the go-ahead to feature the Mane Six. So who knows? Maybe they're lax. I dunno, I get the feeling that MLP in MultiVersus is more likely than we'd think.

I'm no MLP expert, but I was under the impression that the show was the story of Twilight Sparkle. I was corrected of that misunderstanding and informed that it's an ensemble cast. That means Pinkie has a shot, but it's a shot from a revolver playing Russian roulette: one in six. There's six main ponies and if all of them can get in that's just more competition. I don't know enough about the show or the fandom to make predictions about this but I felt like I had to address it.

Want: 80%
My only exposure to MLP were the G4 and G5 movies. To my surprise (and chagrin?) I really enjoyed both. There's some real wit to the dialogue and jokes and you can tell the characters and stories are treated with a lot of care and love. I'm not surprised the show has such wide appeal, is what I'm saying. I don't consider myself a fan and I'm definitely not looking to get more into MLP (nothing wrong with liking it! I just don't know if I wanna be the guy that has to give explanations to people about why I'm watching the pony show) but I think I'd enjoy a character from it in MultiVersus, if only for the "holy **** they got this in the game" factor.

Also, if I had to pick my favorite out of the Mane Six, it'd be Fluttershy, because mood.

*There was a Pinkie Pie in G3 but for the purposes of this write-up I'll consider them separate characters.

noms: Henry Hill (Goodfellas) to honor the late great Ray Liotta
On the subject of Discord precisely, I'm less familiar because I never saw much of FiM itself. I know he's a really important villain (maybe the most important? At least in terms of how much I've seen him discussed compared to other villains) and super popular to boot. However I can't see him make it in until there are at least 4 of the Mane Six. Not in any particular order, but he's just not "get in as a second rep over the beloved lead ensemble" popular. If we're 4 ponies in then sure, there's the argument to be made that a male villain diversifies the cast more than [checks notes] cowboy pony would, but then again maybe not. Also who knows if MLP gets that many fighters. Who knows if it even gets in? (This is where I find it hard to ignore recent events: with how money-grubbing the new WB leadership seems to be, I don't see third party characters becoming a thing)

There's also the reboot characters to consider so even if they want someone outside the Gen 4 Mane Six, there's always the Gen 5 Mane Five! MLP branding is confusing.

Want: abstain

Noms: Gone with the Wind

Last edited:
Top Bottom