• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
This is pretty interesting, it's sort of like post metal meets shoegaze, but instead of something like Deafheaven or Airs it's sort of segmented between the two genres until the latter part of the song. I like the guitar work a lot, and the drums switch up a lot, really keeps it fresh and interesting.

I like the vocals pretty well, and I'm think the lyrics are really good too! I'm gonna guess that the abrupt cutoff is supposed to be a track transition, but I'm not sure; so I don't really know what to think lol.

Overall I really liked this quite a bit, pretty atmospheric, unique, and very interesting.

7.5/10 [Positive]

Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps
Doom Meal / Sludge Meal / Lietrally everyone has heard this-core
Philosophy of grading: A song earns points, it does not start at 5/10 nor 7/10 (lol IGN), but 0/10. Not only this, but anyone who actually cares about the review won't just look at the score :)

Hmm, the first minute and thirty seconds is pretty much the exact same thing, the only thing out of the normal was that the guitars went and riffed off the main line every once in a while, but it was marginal. The tone change after that point makes it more intense, but it's still repetitive. The first taste of something new comes with the vocals, which all aspects of the song take on a variation of one of the aforementioned themes. The voice is one style throughout, and that intense darkness does not change. I can clearly mark and see the stages it brings through the build up, repetitive, but after this at around 3 minutes in it takes another simple variation, still repetitive. Poisionous. The song has a solid foundation, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but in this case makes it have some level of enjoyability. I can only imagine the lyrics (which I cannot understand) are dark and poetic, wait, did I hear something about sacrifice? Perhaps I was mistaking repetitiveness for very slow change and variation up to this point, and I must admit it was well done in its pace. The change at 5 minutes takes us off the main line and percussion lets itself go a bit (which I loved to hear), the voice stays on the same repetition vain, only varying tempo, not emotion besides the indistinct words. The guitar solo afterwards is nothing special, and falls in that curious area between those classy jazz solos and the solos of other styles of music giving a new taste in the same mood, not being the focus of that part of the music at all, which is perfectly acceptable and well, it certainly earned point with me. Here near the end I get the distinct feeling of the increase in tone that the song carried along, and oh my, was that a swear word at the end? If this was done in a less draggy fashion I would certainly enjoy it more. 3.5/10

Alright, how about something similar in length? The Overture from Johann Strauss's Operetta "Die Fledermaus".

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Philosophy of grading: A song earns points, it does not start at 5/10 nor 7/10 (lol IGN), but 0/10. Not only this, but anyone who actually cares about the review won't just look at the score :)
Haha!! Truly a patrician, and evolved means of scoring a piece of music!!

Hmm, the first minute and thirty seconds is pretty much the exact same thing,
Actually it isn't, each riff has different end variations and intensities, then there's the bass introduction, then the secondary guitar. Although I'm sure someone so prolific in true music such as classical would recognize this!!

the only thing out of the normal was that the guitars went and riffed off the main line every once in a while, but it was marginal. The tone change after that point makes it more intense, but it's still repetitive.
You should try to enjoy the riff or the symbols or anything instead of looking for something to denote a change in the music every 30 ****ing seonds

The first taste of something new comes with the vocals, which all aspects of the song take on a variation of one of the aforementioned themes.
??????????

The voice is one style throughout, and that intense darkness does not change.
Why is this a detractor?

Poisionous.
*Poisonous

The song has a solid foundation, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but in this case makes it have some level of enjoyability.
This is incredibly vague, please elaborate.

I can only imagine the lyrics (which I cannot understand) are dark and poetic, wait, did I hear something about sacrifice?
These are incredibly easy to understand and interpret if you pay attention at all
Alternatively: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....ctric-Wizard/B3CA89B8C8F112C448256CF100282AE9

Perhaps I was mistaking repetitiveness for very slow change and variation up to this point,
This has been the case for the whole song

the voice stays on the same repetition vain, only varying tempo, not emotion besides the indistinct words.
No.

The guitar solo afterwards is nothing special
If you're looking to be impressed solely by technical ability then I have some bad news for you

I get the distinct feeling of the increase in tone that the song carried along
This makes no sense

and oh my, was that a swear word at the end? If this was done in a less draggy fashion I would certainly enjoy it more.
Yes it was,I hope it didn't offend your enlightened sensibilities!!

Overall this review is a bastardization of all music reviews in an attempt to seem avant-teen enough to form some kind of shroud of faux good taste.

I give this review: 1380232298326s.jpg / 10

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Haha!! Truly a patrician, and evolved means of scoring a piece of music!!
Actually it isn't, each riff has different end variations and intensities, then there's the bass introduction, then the secondary guitar. Although I'm sure someone so prolific in true music such as classical would recognize this!!
You should try to enjoy the riff or the symbols or anything instead of looking for something to denote a change in the music every 30 ****ing seonds
??????????
Why is this a detractor?
*Poisonous
This is incredibly vague, please elaborate.
These are incredibly easy to understand and interpret if you pay attention at all
Alternatively: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....ctric-Wizard/B3CA89B8C8F112C448256CF100282AE9
This has been the case for the whole song
No.
If you're looking to be impressed solely by technical ability then I have some bad news for you
This makes no sense
Yes it was,I hope it didn't offend your enlightened sensibilities!!
Overall this review is a *******ization of all music reviews in an attempt to seem avant-teen enough to form some kind of shroud of faux good taste.
I give this review: View attachment 4321 / 10
I cannot pretend to review music in an objective fashion, that is far beyond my skill, sir, I am left to my inclinations, which are poor means of grading. The method I used is more conservative, sure, it often results in a lower overall score for most every piece, but if I went by impulse right now and started it off at a neutral 5, taking away only for very bad things and adding only for very good things, I would no doubt think of it as something along the lines of a 6 or 6.5. I grant the language I used was especially patronizing, and that was stupid of me. I meant none of my words as an attack against you or your tastes, no matter how pretentious they appear, it is not my intention, I hope you understand. Next time, instead of listening through it once and writing a review while I was listening, I'll listen multiple times and pick out the slight variation.

However, going back over, I am reaffirmed in my original assessment up until about 38 seconds variation wise, and while no doubt I heard this the first time around, I did not think it significant enough to consider it a 'variation', regardless if they're introducing a new instrument or upping the intensity slightly. The notes, to that point, the guitar and bass in that time, their variations are not designed to mesh into new cords, but are tangential riffs, not substantial variation by my call, though I understand within the framework of the song it certainly is. I tried to and I did enjoy the riff, but it had little significance as a whole, and I'm not petitioning variation for variation sake, or even a riff for riff sake though it is enjoyable, it needs to have significance in change of tone. It's an argument of degrees, sure, and my reference of an acceptable degree is no doubt different than yours, hence why I did not add points for those sections of the song.

Again, the voice being one style is not a detractor, it, according to my grading philosophy, added only a few points. As for foundation, I don't even know what the hell I was talking about at the time, but I think that I meant that it had solid chord transitions (when it did progress), and didn't have any out of place dissonance, and it resolved all the chords (it even ends on the same note, a neat bookends), and that it was on rhythm and well executed.

I admit I'm not a fan of the lyrics being all goody-two-shoes Christian whateverthehell, but I can't detract anything just because I don't empathize with the message he's conveying. But now that I actually DO know the words (I simply didn't understand what he was saying before, and I apologize for not giving the effort to look 'em up), the wide use of vocabulary pleases me very much in the first and second verses, and the message is clear, and not that it's a big deal, but the third and fourth verses just use the words from the first verse over. I was not looking for technical ability in the solo, but I certainly don't know what else I meant by it, so yes, that critique is not valid, perhaps I was just trying to justify the score? I sincerely don't know.

The voice does use the same cadence for each section (specific for that section), you must admit, but it's not a bad thing (look at me trying to defend my vague assesment :p). It stayed, not on the same note, but in the same predictable range along with that predictable cadence. I wasn't saying he had no emotion, just the same emotion. So yeah, most of what I said against the voice doesn't mean anything other than 'I didn't like it bleck that style is silly', I'm a choir person, all-state honors holla! My tone remark was directed at two specific parts: there was a general, slow crescendo in the music from start to finish, good thing, and that the pace increased in some way at each section, I only realized that at the end. I was trying to be playful and silly when I heard the Foxtrot at the end, and I again realize this was stupid and sounds pretentious and patronizing if the intention is not read, but I hope you don't mind if I don't add any points to the score because of it~. I'm open to all genres, and can usually point to an example of one or two songs that I like particularly well from them, so I'm not hatin' bruh, and I'm not trying to pretend to have 'good taste', whatever that means.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Let's be honest, doom metal is supposed to be on the repetitive side, with - if the artist in question feels like it - some progression or variety throughout the whole song. But most certainly not in a quick fashion... who would want that? :D
If the slow, ambient change in tone happens to be enjoyable / interesting or neither, is up to the individual listening to it. It's certainly a huge contrast to classical music which tends to use a lot of instruments and utilizes those to create highly dynamic songs.

I thought the review was a rather fair case of "it's not the kind of music I enjoy, so no cake for you". Which - with the genre in question - is to be expected, unless you run into somebody actually listening to it. It's actually fairly impressive for people not familiar with it to make out any change at all (although Electric Wizard are maybe on the progressive end of the spectrum of what doom metal has to offer ;) ).

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Alright, how about something similar in length? The Overture from Johann Strauss's Operetta "Die Fledermaus".

Wow, that was a loud and unexpected introduction. The song makes me feel like I'm exploring a huge beautiful garden and every time I discover something interesting in the garden, the song's mood suddenly changes or a new instrument comes in. I don't enjoy the fade out and fade in transitions because it seems like a lazy way to transition from one part of the song to another, but I won't remove points because I understand that this is live music with real instruments and it can't use any sound effects. The ending was excellent and left me feeling very satisfied.
I would not listen to this song again because it's not really my taste and it's so long, however, I did like it a lot.
5/5

Pavlo - Midnight Dance

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Thanks for posting this one, it's a bit different from what you normally post. I appreciate that!

Fairly average flamenco music as far as structure and general musicianship goes. So, it's a sort of sanitized and simplified version of flamenco that might play in elevators or shopping for jewelry. But it's perfectly fine, and enjoyable to listen to, if not very stimulating. I'd have to see a dance to this song to really appreciate it any more than on a just "not terrible" level.

2.8/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiupWwIZMY Autre Ne Veut - "Play by Play"

(edit, oops, accidentally posted that Pavlo song again)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Time to step in and save the thread.

Thanks for posting this one, it's a bit different from what you normally post. I appreciate that!

Fairly average flamenco music as far as structure and general musicianship goes. So, it's a sort of sanitized and simplified version of flamenco that might play in elevators or shopping for jewelry. But it's perfectly fine, and enjoyable to listen to, if not very stimulating. I'd have to see a dance to this song to really appreciate it any more than on a just "not terrible" level.

2.8/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFiupWwIZMY Autre Ne Veut - "Play by Play"

(edit, oops, accidentally posted that Pavlo song again)
Very nice! I enjoyed this song for the most part. The first 30 seconds classified as the intro was serene and easy to kick back too. The vocals introduced themselves naturally, not breaking any rhythm that was going on with the intro. Slowly and steadily, they add other elements, which once again, went with the progression of the song. You even see the vocalist get "louder" so his voice doesn't become overshadowed by the background music.

I enjoyed the build up to the chorus, but as far as the chorus itself goes. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. It's alright. What comes afterwards, I'm not much of a fan of either. I think it becomes a bit too clustered. Too much stuff going on. I think there's even three different vocals playing at the same time as well. With all that being said, I did enjoy the lyrics.

So overall, I would recommend this song, because it is terribly awesome. Love the first half. Second half? Not so much.

No thank you
I'll pass (the second half)
It aiiite
I'll stream it (the first half)
Awesome Possum

-Realizes he has no song to post.- Let's go with...

Lupe Fiasco - ITAL (Roses)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
The song had interesting lyrics with a positive message, but I would have liked the song's message to be more obvious. The song was both very repetitive and catchy at the same time. More variety in the vocal melodies would have made the song a lot better, as well as some hi hats in the drum beat so it would sound more full. The song's ending was very boring; it was nothing special.
3/5

Ai Otsuka - Planetarium

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I know that this is a big bump but at this point I don't really care. This thread shouldn't die

Man, this was great. The piano playing was gorgeous, and the vocals complimented it well. The Vocals reminded me of Ohta Hiromi a bit, which was definitley a good thing. To be honest, I was expecting at some point to turn into some cliched, overblown rock thing, and was quite happen when it didn't.
8/10

Yesway - Howlin Face

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Velocity was pretty much pure joy. The build-up in the beginning is awesome, and that bass line is one of the best pieces of pure funk I've heard in a while. Sounds great with my headphones, though it's a bit repetitive and long. 4/5!

Ces Cru - When Worlds Collide

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Velocity was pretty much pure joy. The build-up in the beginning is awesome, and that bass line is one of the best pieces of pure funk I've heard in a while. Sounds great with my headphones, though it's a bit repetitive and long. 4/5!

Ces Cru - When Worlds Collide
Song was a bit slow at first but as it went on I saw it different way. The song has no chorus and is basically a stream genius lyricism on number of subjects. That ending was so in sync and really got me hyped for a song that at the beginning I was skeptical about. I wish more rap was like this. 8/10

JOYWAVE - Traveling At The Speed Of Light

Top Bottom