• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Interesting start up. The screams/growling are good as is the clean vocals. However, after a minute, nothing has really caught me. It's a good song but it seems very metal-core with some death growls here and there.

I got better around 1:40. I really liked the high pitched screams. I really know nothing about this band and can hardly judge them based on a single song but their Facebook page calls themselves a Prog metal band. I do some progressive metal infusions here and there but it still feels like the usual As I Lay Dying metalcore.

****...it really picked it up 3:50. I can see where the Progressive portion comes in. I like the clean vocals; gives a 80's metal feel.

Overall, pretty good but the song really only caught my attention when it changed up speed. Had it not, it would have felt stale. It has some very interesting parts near the end, good clean vocals as well as screams/growls, and had a nice flow to the song.

3/5

Anamanaguchi
"Planet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koN-jLcGuAo
feels like i'm waking up on a wonderful morning by the sea. then about a minute in i'm going swimming and chilling with fishes and drinking a milkshake somehow. then i surface and there's a nuclear base in the distance and Sonic is running across the surface of the water and the sun is glaring and i feel very nice.

i like this band a lot. i wish this song had a little more of their "real" instrumentation (guitars) but it's so very cheerful anyways!

3/5

heavy heavy low low "H.D. EYE HYBRID CYBORG" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmnJSTNjlg

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
feels like i'm waking up on a wonderful morning by the sea. then about a minute in i'm going swimming and chilling with fishes and drinking a milkshake somehow. then i surface and there's a nuclear base in the distance and Sonic is running across the surface of the water and the sun is glaring and i feel very nice.

i like this band a lot. i wish this song had a little more of their "real" instrumentation (guitars) but it's so very cheerful anyways!

3/5

heavy heavy low low "H.D. EYE HYBRID CYBORG" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmnJSTNjlg
aw damn is that touche amore's vocalist that neqqa is cool af love that guy and band oh yea this song is kinda underwhelming and fairly lame [insert filler to make it seem like i know what im talking about here] lul yea

2/5

Galaxie 500 - Another Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW0lrGumzjE

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
no, but that's cool that you know a post-hardcore band.
aw damn is that touche amore's vocalist that neqqa is cool af love that guy and band

2/5

Galaxie 500 - Another Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW0lrGumzjE
no, but that's really cool that you know the name of a post-hardcore band i guess? not sure what it has to do with anything i posted.

@galaxie 5

hmm this is pretty. i like the singing, it's pretty. when it gets all psychedelic, i want to ask myself "what if people see individual colors differently? perception is, indeed, everything."

4/5

Rika Muranak "Esperandote" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EffJHOuJIU

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I dislike the mood in the beginning of the song. It's dark and scary. I really like the singing, but I do not know what language it is.
The background instruments really help with the emotion and enhance the vocals very well. I'm really surprised this is video game music. I expect video game music to have much simpler melodies. The ending was so relaxing and couldn't have been any better.
4.5/5
Sara Bareilles - Brave
The lyrics in this song are amazing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nice lyrics indeed. Very uplifting. Music is not really my type, but it's nice to listen to anyway. 4/5

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok well, what appeals to me in the song are the lyrics, and tone of voice. She's a good singer, yet the song's beat is slightly repeative. It has an uplifting tone though, and very uplifiting lyrics. So I actually like it. Like the music video to, even though it's rather simple.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
For the song you linked one line is a perfectly acceptable length for a review.
I replied to this last night and as soon as I clicked "post reply", smashboards went down.
I will try to remember what I said.

There is no rule in this thread saying I can't post pop music. I understand that most people participating here don't enjoy listening to pop music, so I mix it up with trance and other genres, I even posted some of my own songs. I enjoy listening to some pop artists and some of my favorite songs are pop. I want to know what people think of my favorite songs, just like you do.

Deathconsciousness

yeah i have pretty eclectic taste. pop, trance, dubstep, the list could go on.....

but seriously, no offense but not a lot can be said about most songs you post here; they're just boring, expected, obvious, bland, cookie-cutter pop songs i'd expect my 8-year-old niece to listen to.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
If y'all can't find a way to explain why something is bad in your opinion, your contributions to the thread are just as worthless as anyone's.

I would rather talk about why bad music is bad time and time again than sift through all the deludedly elitist condescension bull**** that gets vomited into this thread.

Deathconsciousness

i didn't say the stuff he posts is bad, i enjoy pop music on occasion as well. but the thing is, pop music is inherently narrow as ****, there's just not a lot to say about any given top 40 dance pop song you'd hear on the radio. they just don't deserve long explanations or reviews in my opinion. sorry.

and I'm not an elitist, shh.

Deathconsciousness

i didn't say the stuff he posts is bad, i enjoy pop music on occasion as well. but the thing is, pop music is inherently narrow as ****, there's just not a lot to say about any given top 40 dance pop song you'd hear on the radio. they just don't deserve long explanations or reviews in my opinion. sorry.
(✿◠‿◠)

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
if they don't deserve a review, you shouldn't be posting in a thread about reviewing music

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
Nice lyrics indeed. Very uplifting. Music is not really my type, but it's nice to listen to anyway. 4/5

Kinda boring tbh, pretty decent instrumentation I guess. Also neat vocals I suppose, it just seems like every other reggae group / artist I've ever heard. Both sonically and topically.

Anyway it's at least nice sounding aesthetically so yeah.

5/10 [Neutral]

My song: Stacy Epps - 222 (R&B, Instrumental Hip-Hop)

http://stacyepps.bandcamp.com/track/222-hit-me-feat-muhsinah

As well, welcome back to the boards everyone!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My song: Stacy Epps - 222 (R&B, Instrumental Hip-Hop)

http://stacyepps.bandcamp.com/track/222-hit-me-feat-muhsinah

As well, welcome back to the boards everyone!
Long time coming, but here we go.

I like the lyrics and beat for the most part, but what I don't like is how the lyrics get overshadowed heavily by the beat and instruments. I got my earbuds in, and I still feel like the voice is taking a backseat. So basically, switching that would help out a lot. Can't imagine listening to this in a car, given I'd have no idea what they would be saying. Anyways, I'm more of a fan of the verses as opposed to the "chorus". Chorus just sounds bland from a tone perspective (I know she's talking, but still sounds bland). Also, song just ends randomly lol. All in all, feels more like a demo tape...which it might be? Feels like the song needs to be remastered.

Overall, I am insulted by this song. I can't believe you'd recommend such a thing. 12/10

No thank you
I'll pass
It aiiite
I'll stream it
Awesome Possum

Backstreet Boys - Permanent Stain

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I hate the effects on the vocals during the chorus.
The vocal melodies in both the verses and chorus aren't that good. It sounds like they were trying to make a generic pop song for the radio. And the more times I listen to the song, the more annoying it becomes to listen to. I also don't like the lyrics.
The only part of the song I liked was the bridge.
I don't like the way the song was mixed. It sounds like the kick is being drowned from all the synths.
1.5/5
Johnfn - footsteps
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/551759

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Curious, but what effects were they using on the vocals during the chorus?
I was thinking the same thing, the only thing thrown on that is a little bit of reverb, its just their harmonies that he's thinking is a vocal effect.

I hate the effects on the vocals during the chorus.
The vocal melodies in both the verses and chorus aren't that good. It sounds like they were trying to make a generic pop song for the radio. And the more times I listen to the song, the more annoying it becomes to listen to. I also don't like the lyrics.
The only part of the song I liked was the bridge.
I don't like the way the song was mixed. It sounds like the kick is being drowned from all the synths.
1.5/5
Johnfn - footsteps

Definitely an interesting piece, but it seems a bit too full of itself in a sense, just in the way the sweeps are pronounced.Also, the white noise effect in the background only takes away from the melody itself, it doesn't give anything but a distraction. The piano as a whole is VERY well written, but those few technical errors keep me from truly enjoying it.

7/10.

My song: Shreddy Krueger - Child Heart

Deathconsciousness

I was thinking the same thing, the only thing thrown on that is a little bit of reverb, its just their harmonies that he's thinking is a vocal effect.

Definitely an interesting piece, but it seems a bit too full of itself in a sense, just in the way the sweeps are pronounced.Also, the white noise effect in the background only takes away from the melody itself, it doesn't give anything but a distraction. The piano as a whole is VERY well written, but those few technical errors keep me from truly enjoying it.

7/10.

My song: Shreddy Krueger - Child Heart
ugh im too depressed for this garbage sry but this sucks cant rly **** with it :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( [boring filler goes here i think]

1/5

Unwound - Off This Century

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
The song sounded so messy. I know it was intentional, but it's annoying to listen to. I liked the soft and relaxing breaks. The instrument with the super high frequencies was completely unnecessary. The intro made the rest of the song really obvious. If you hear screaming in the beginning, you know you're going to hear it for most of the song. I don't recognize any emotion in this song. It just sounds like a lot of messy instruments.
I would have really liked to hear more parts with the strings and piano and less screaming.
2.5/5

Wanderstrucken - Pftq

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
You rated the wrong song
I'm not giving someone a review when they post this for someone else's song:
"ugh im too depressed for this garbage sry but this sucks cant rly **** with it :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( [boring filler goes here i think]

1/5"

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
@Wanderstrucken:

very whimsical and dainty. makes me wanna play a flute with rabbits in the woods. good progression and introduction of the different voices. and well, it's just very lovely. i love the little trills the piano does in the main melody. it's neat how the song sort of bounces from really airy and light to slightly sinister. like alice in wonderland.

honestly, no complaints.

4.8/5

salt n pepa "none of your business" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBQTx2ZAgo
(explicit language)

yolomarijuana69

Banned via Warnings
I'm not giving someone a review when they post this for someone else's song:
"ugh im too depressed for this garbage sry but this sucks cant rly **** with it :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( [boring filler goes here i think]

1/5"
you have horrendous taste in music anyway so it's w/e

theeboredone

Smash Legend
salt n pepa "none of your business" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBQTx2ZAgo
(explicit language)
I got this. I am really digging this. I think I may have listened to a song or two from salt n pepa in my past life. Sounds very familiar. Gotta love how old school this rap is. The beat takes a huge backseat and relies simply on the delivery, energy, rhythm, and lines of the rapper. And well, it's just plain ol awesome.

I am listening to this through some bluetooth speakers and it sounds nice. However, I feel like this is personally headphone music to me and maybe even party background you'd hear in a movie. Overall music you sort of lose yourself into. Don't see myself playing this in the car or constantly on speakers, so it does lack some versatility.

Overall, a rather terrible song LT. I'm disappointed in you.

No thank you
I'll pass
It aiiite
I'll stream it
Awesome Possum

Billy Joel - For The Longest Time

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I usually don't enjoy pop music from before this century. It seems to me that old pop music was mostly about the vocals and the melodies and lyrics were designed to be easily singable.
This song is super simple and the snaps and bass in the background became boring very quickly. I really want to hear more instruments, or more interesting instruments. Piano would have worked really well, along with a full drum beat. I didn't like the lyrics, they seemed meaningless, and I think the song is completely emotionless.

The song is very catchy and I love the vocal harmonies and the background vocals. The vocals are really good and I can easily hear all the lyrics.

2.5/5

Steam's Wonderful Contraptions - Steampianist

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
I usually don't enjoy pop music from before this century. It seems to me that old pop music was mostly about the vocals and the melodies and lyrics were designed to be easily singable.
This song is super simple and the snaps and bass in the background became boring very quickly. I really want to hear more instruments, or more interesting instruments. Piano would have worked really well, along with a full drum beat. I didn't like the lyrics, they seemed meaningless, and I think the song is completely emotionless.

The song is very catchy and I love the vocal harmonies and the background vocals. The vocals are really good and I can easily hear all the lyrics.

2.5/5

Steam's Wonderful Contraptions - Steampianist

Honestly this is incredibly boring, the samples f the train horns are completely silly and every synth or sample feels the same way. I can't say much except that it's incredibly ubiquitous filler music that sounds like it should be in a Banjo & Kazooie game, completely devoid of any substance or anything interesting whatsoever.

Please stop giving these Newgrounds links, it's starting to get tedious

3/10 [Negative]

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2lHDfbWc8A
Math rock / Instrumental

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Curious, but what effects were they using on the vocals during the chorus?
A question you never answered, given you seem to put that in your critique.

I really want to hear more instruments, or more interesting instruments. Piano would have worked really well, along with a full drum beat.
Do you know what an a cappela is? Unless you're implying that you wish it had instruments rather than you want it to have more instruments, then I don't think you understand what an a cappela is.

I didn't like the lyrics, they seemed meaningless
How are they meaningless? I do think they are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. But they are not meaningless. Then again, you listen to Kesha don't you? So I guess you're more of a Tik Tok sort of person. Something about booty grinding and drinking all night. Did you really mean "meaningless" or were you looking for another word? Maybe, "it's not my thing"?

I generally sit by and let others critique you, even when you blast my own songs given I understand it's all an opinion. But I have noticed a trend (not just these two songs) where you don't seem to be listening with much intent as far as your reviews go. You've made some obvious errors or poor word choice. I don't care if you keep posting music that others disagree with, because that's what you like. However and for a lack of better term, if you're going to to half ass your critiques, then I'd prefer you not post anything at all. That includes your music or your critiques, because it's unfair to those who take time to listen to your music let alone anyone else's.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Honestly this is incredibly boring, the samples f the train horns are completely silly and every synth or sample feels the same way. I can't say much except that it's incredibly ubiquitous filler music that sounds like it should be in a Banjo & Kazooie game, completely devoid of any substance or anything interesting whatsoever.

Please stop giving these Newgrounds links, it's starting to get tedious

3/10 [Negative]

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2lHDfbWc8A
Math rock / Instrumental
Very nice ambience created with this track, its almost like a clean version of a Kirby track in essence. Every instrument is very nicely adding on to the other, even though in the beginning the two guitars were feeding off of each other's unique riff. The piano adds a nice touch as well, though I don't think it's necessary until the slow section in the middle, where it definitely adds a nice touch. They are like a Japanese version of CHON, in the best possible way.

9/10, will definitely look into.

My song: A Lot Like Birds - Next To Ungodliness

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
A question you never answered, given you seem to put that in your critique.

Do you know what an a cappela is? Unless you're implying that you wish it had instruments rather than you want it to have more instruments, then I don't think you understand what an a cappela is.

How are they meaningless? I do think they are pretty straightforward and easy to understand. But they are not meaningless. Then again, you listen to Kesha don't you? So I guess you're more of a Tik Tok sort of person. Something about booty grinding and drinking all night. Did you really mean "meaningless" or were you looking for another word? Maybe, "it's not my thing"?

I generally sit by and let others critique you, even when you blast my own songs given I understand it's all an opinion. But I have noticed a trend (not just these two songs) where you don't seem to be listening with much intent as far as your reviews go. You've made some obvious errors or poor word choice. I don't care if you keep posting music that others disagree with, because that's what you like. However and for a lack of better term, if you're going to to half *** your critiques, then I'd prefer you not post anything at all. That includes your music or your critiques, because it's unfair to those who take time to listen to your music let alone anyone else's.

You don't know someone's tone of voice when you're reading things on a forum. I did not mean any of that in a rude or careless way. I spend a good amount of time on my reviews and I never write the first thing that comes to mind and leave it. I also make a lot of edits and try to use the best words I can think of with my poor vocabulary. I have a really bad vocabulary for my age and I honestly don't know why. I am aware that other people put a lot of effort into reviewing my songs and I try to do the same for them. Also, I felt bad for giving you so many bad ratings so I increased the rating higher than what I thought it was right based on my opinions.

I don't care if the morality of a song's lyrics are good or not. I like the lyrics to have a meaning to them that's easy to understand.

The song you posted is not an a cappella because it did have non vocal instruments.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I got this. I am really digging this. I think I may have listened to a song or two from salt n pepa in my past life. Sounds very familiar. Gotta love how old school this rap is. The beat takes a huge backseat and relies simply on the delivery, energy, rhythm, and lines of the rapper. And well, it's just plain ol awesome.

I am listening to this through some bluetooth speakers and it sounds nice. However, I feel like this is personally headphone music to me and maybe even party background you'd hear in a movie. Overall music you sort of lose yourself into. Don't see myself playing this in the car or constantly on speakers, so it does lack some versatility.

Overall, a rather terrible song LT. I'm disappointed in you.

No thank you
I'll pass
It aiiite
I'll stream it
Awesome Possum

Billy Joel - For The Longest Time
this review is so baffling.

"digging this"
"just plain awesome"
"sounds nice"

and then you end with

"a rather terrible song"

and then if that's not confusing enough, you give it a decent rating! you so silly!

anyways.

@A Lot Like Birds:

this is awesome. reminds me of an even crazier version of Exotic Animal Petting Zoo. i love everything going on here. the changes are in-your-face but it never fails to make sense and keep a singular groove throughout. vocals are very very impressive. actually, the only thing that disappoints me is that the song just kinda fades out and it doesn't feel like a worthy ending. but still hell yeah.

4.5/5

East of the Wall "Naif" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8KCXbBtW7I

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
this review is so baffling.

"digging this"
"just plain awesome"
"sounds nice"

and then you end with

"a rather terrible song"

and then if that's not confusing enough, you give it a decent rating! you so silly!

anyways.

@A Lot Like Birds:

this is awesome. reminds me of an even crazier version of Exotic Animal Petting Zoo. i love everything going on here. the changes are in-your-face but it never fails to make sense and keep a singular groove throughout. vocals are very very impressive. actually, the only thing that disappoints me is that the song just kinda fades out and it doesn't feel like a worthy ending. but still hell yeah.

4.5/5

East of the Wall "Naif" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8KCXbBtW7I
This is pretty interesting, it's sort of like post metal meets shoegaze, but instead of something like Deafheaven or Airs it's sort of segmented between the two genres until the latter part of the song. I like the guitar work a lot, and the drums switch up a lot, really keeps it fresh and interesting.

I like the vocals pretty well, and I'm think the lyrics are really good too! I'm gonna guess that the abrupt cutoff is supposed to be a track transition, but I'm not sure; so I don't really know what to think lol.

Overall I really liked this quite a bit, pretty atmospheric, unique, and very interesting.

7.5/10 [Positive]

Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO7VP34n2Ps
Doom Meal / Sludge Meal / Lietrally everyone has heard this-core

Top Bottom