• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate That Render! (Now Rating: #49 Little Mac)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:icsmelee:: 4/10: They look like two separate persons with separate focus, which is the opposite of their character.
:popo:: 6/10: Not bad, but Nana and Popo are each looking at different things, which is also odd.
:ulticeclimbers:: 10/10: Perfection. They're each focusing on the same thing, like two units working in tandem.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:icsmelee:: 6/10 - Just a basic, pretty uninteresting pose.
:popo:: 7/10 - This a better pose, but their facial expressions just seem dead to me, and it kind of hampers the mood here.
:ulticeclimbers:: 9/10 - I love these far more dynamic poses! Both of the Climbers are doing something different, but they're still together.

(Since OP mentioned the frost on their mallets, I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate all such details on Ultimate's renders; the attention to what materials and textures are present is absolutely phenomenal, and I love it.)

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:icsmelee: - 7/10 - Nothing wrong with them here, pretty solid for a melee render which have been pretty awful in some spots. Nana waving adds some charm.
:popo: - 8/10 - It's also a solid render overall, better dynamic and details on them for sure. I'm not sure I'd want to be under their spiked shoes though, so I worry for Popo's safety as Nana is looking like she is about to run up his back.
:ulticeclimbers: - 9.5/10 - Solid details on them, didn't notice the snow till it was pointed out. I like the direction they went here with making both of them dynamic and holding a solid action pose that looks good together but could also work alone.

Ice Climbers had a pretty solid showing overall, I don't got really anything else to add on them besides some appreciation for them being our only ice users!

:ulticeclimbers: > :popo: > :icsmelee:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, everyone! Smash Ultimate sucks up more time than I expected.

She's the lone survivor of the Sheikah, the enigmatic alter ego, the warrior who flows across the battlefield: #16 Sheik

Melee: :sheikmelee:

Image Link (Thus far, Sheik was the hardest render to get. This is as high as the quality goes)

Welcoming the first new Zelda character to the cast, Sheik drops in with an already hyper-dynamic pose, needles drawn, and ready for action. This is as unconventional as poses get. It's not often you find a character render where the character's feet are over their head. She even has two sets of needles ready, one set in each hand. It may be interesting, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It's not bad, that's for sure.
6.5/10

Brawl: :sheik:

Image Link

For whatever reason, I like this one so much more than her Melee render. It's very ninja-esque, but not like the assassin-looking render she had in Melee. It's much more based on Sheik's established personality and falls in line with what she'd do. I enjoy the nice curve that her body line follows, and the crossing of her arms is quite nice as well!
8/10

Wii U/3DS: :4sheik:

Image Link

Gonna be honest, I actually don't like how this one is posed. It just looks awkward. It resembles when a child says "I know karate!" as they try their best impression of what they think a karate master would pose like. It's just weird. It's like there's no sense of balance because of her back leg. How the heck is she standing? As strange as it is, I do like it slightly more than Melee's.
7/10

Ultimate: :ultsheik:

Image Link

I love this one! Now that's a ninja! I like how her ponytail and scarf are flowing together in the motion. Also, I love the scarf. But she's also doing that two-fingered ninja thing that she does, and it's amazing. Her body curve also looks really nice, and her overall silhouette is really clear. It's pretty great.
9.4/10

From greatest to least: :ultsheik: > :sheik: > :4sheik: > :sheikmelee:

Overall, Sheik's had two weird renders, but two really good renders. How do you guys feel about her renders?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Wait, I forgot, did we ever do Daisy?

:sheikmelee:: 4/10: Eh, looks weird.
:sheik:: 5/10: Still looks weird.
:4sheik:: 8/10: Based on OOT reveal render, nice!
:ultsheik:: 10/10: Like an actual ninja.

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:sheikmelee:: 7/10 - This is a very dynamic, and frankly, cool pose, though it definitely seems awkward at the same time. I like its uniqueness.
:sheik:: 8/10 - Despite being arguably more generic, I really prefer this pose; there's some classic ninja style in this one that really sells it.
:4sheik:: 5/10 - Ehh. What exactly is Sheik doing here? It's not really threatening or interesting, it just seems oddly silly.
:ultsheik:: - 10/10 - The best one by far. I really like the motion in the scarf here, and the pose feels like a great evolution of Brawl's.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:sheikmelee: - 6/10 - Makes me think of break dancing. A bit odd overall but not bad.
:sheik: - 5/10 - Looks like she jumped back from a scary bug.
:4sheik: - 5/10 - Equally boring as the prior.
:ultsheik: - 9/10 - A lot more dynamic and interesting to look at. I feel a few needles ready to be thrown would of sold me 100% on this one.

Sheik never was one of those characters I care that much for as she'd be long forgotten and not cared about in her massive franchise if she didn't score lucky with Smash. That being said, her renders were pretty lack luster and didn't really capture the ninja spot she took that well.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Wait, I forgot, did we ever do Daisy?
Come to think of it, I don't think we ever did Dank Samus either.
Eh, save them for Ultimate.
Daisy and Dark don't really have prior renders to compare. As I mentioned in the OP, characters introduced in Ultimate won't really be compared as they have no previous renders to compare to.

But it's time to move on to the next comparison!

She's the wielder of Wisdom, descendant of the incarnate Goddess Hylia, and the princess of destiny: #17 Zelda

Melee: :zeldamelee:

Image Link

It's kind of funny how, even though Sheik was added before Zelda, you must use Zelda to access Sheik. Here we have the solemn Zelda, her arm grabbing her other arm as she gives us a profile shot. Fun fact, she actually briefly performed this pose in Ocarina while speaking to Link. The interesting about her silhouette is that it's still visually distinct from Peach's silhouette with the both of them being the only characters with dresses. Visually, it's a neat callback, and describes a lot about Zelda's personality. Other than that it isn't super interesting.
7/10

Brawl: :zelda:

Image Link

I like this pose much more than her Melee one. It's just more interesting from a visual standpoint. It doesn't say much on a characteristic standpoint, but it's nicer to look at. It's like they took the opposite approach to this render than her Melee render. Looking at the camera also doesn't hurt the pose. We wanna see them big, pretty eyes.
8/10

Wii U/3DS: :4zelda:

Image Link

HOLY CRAP SHE'S GORGEOUS—I mean, uhh, wow, she's so beautiful. Quality of the model aside, I actually really like the simplicity of the pose itself with Zelda holding only a single arm out. It has that "I'm magical" sort of touch to it, all the while she wears a rather serious expression. She's not here to mess around. This is actually among my favorites of the Wii U/3DS renders. Very regal, very elegant.
9.7/10

Ultimate: :ultzelda:

Image Link

All of us were looking forward to a Breath of the Wild-styled Zelda; how glad I am that we were wrong and got this cutie-pie instead. Regardless, we are to judge the pose and not the design or quality of the model. There's so much happening in this render: capes, tassels, sleeves, hair, dress, that weird pink thing that drapes over her dress, there's a lot of wind flowing in this image. Gotta say, with all the additional fluff added by way of flowing garments, it's actually just a tad difficult judging where her body is. In fact, the flowing garments and hair are actually doing almost all of the work in this render. She's not doing any complicated posing at all. It is visually interesting, though it's because of the flair from the clothes and hair, not that it subtracts from the overall render.
9.7/10

From Greatest to least: :ultzelda: = :4zelda: > :zelda: > :zeldamelee:

And that was Hyrule's Wise Princess!

Which render was your favorite? Going to be honest, I find Zelda in Ultimate to have a better in-game model than her actual render. Her face in game is MUCH CUTER than her render depicts:

Ermahgerd...

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's likely nostalgia, but I still liked the Brawl one the best.

:zeldamelee:Melee: 5/10
:zelda:Brawl: 9/10
:4zelda:For: 8/10
:ultzelda:Ultimate: 8/10

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
My girl Zelda is fabulous, adorable, and adorably fabulous in Ultimate!!! I rate Ultimate Zelda 100/10! No contest, best character! :ultzelda:

Wait... we are supposed to vote on renders only?

Well, crapbaskets. In that case, her Smash 4 render wins no contest to me. It's very understated, kinda like Dr. Mario's Ultimate render :ultdoc:, but it says a lot about her personality without needing to be over the top. She's regal, she's elegant, but she's also a bit passive and controlled. I also love her stepping forward, as it gives an air of intent and action, if only slightly, unlike her Brawl and Melee renders that are much more passive than I think they should be. All in all, Smash 4 render wins. :4zelda:

(Still, Ultimate Zelda is best girl and no one can change my mind :happysheep:)

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Zelda’s renders in order from best to worst:

Smash Ultimate
Smash 4
Smash Brawl
Smash Melee

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:zeldamelee:: 4/10: She's like, "Nah, I really don't wanna do this."
:zelda:: 6/10: Cute.
:4zelda:: 9/10: I like this one a lot better than Brawl, probably because there's no Sheik in the background.
:ultzelda:: 10/10: Perfection.

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:zeldamelee:: 6/10 - I like this pose's plaintive portrayal of Zelda, as it's not a trait depicted in her following renders. That said, it's still fairly boring.
:zelda:: 5/10 - Brawl's render is comparatively more bland to me. Her pose is slightly more dynamic, but it still feels like nothing. There's no direction here.
:4zelda:: 8/10 - This is what Brawl's render should have been. It keeps the same mood, but gives Zelda a more interesting pose. Admittedly, I'm not sure what this pose is intended to reflect about Zelda, but I don't particularly care.
:ultzelda:: 9/10 - This render is another improvement. In addition to a brighter appearance, Zelda now sports a lot more flowing garments, and this render aims to demonstrate this; it succeeds. The many little elements seemingly flowing in the wind makes this render quite impressive to look at.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:zeldamelee: - 4.5/10 - She looks stuck up and more stereotypical Princess here.
:zelda: - 7.5/10 - I actually kind of like this one and also appreciated the darker hair on her.
:4zelda: - 6/10 - Not digging her pose, I find it actually more bland than Brawl's.
:ultzelda: - 8.5/10 - She's cute and pretty with flow... but still doesn't make me think of some magical mage. Her face is also lacking emotion.

Zelda's poses can look dignified or cute, but I don't really think any of them capture mage in anyway which could of been a nice little flair for her. While I do think Ultimate Zelda is cute, I kind of preferred her with the darker colors cause now she looks more like Peach who already has the Rosalina clone here as well.

Augi

Smash Cadet
:zeldamelee: 5/10 : Eh this is very middle of the road. But that's what you would expect from Zelda at the time. Very reserved.

:zelda: 4/10 : This is better in some respects, the pose is certainly more dynamic, but some tiny parts of it make it worse for me. I don't really see "action" in her movement I see "evasion" like she's trying to get out of the way of something and the look on her face seems more sinister rather than confident; like, evil or something. An evil look with an "evasive" movement makes her look sneaky and devious. Not at all what Zelda is really like. Brawl's style does her no favors.

:4zelda: 9/10 : Now this render succeeds where Bawl failed. The look in her eyes is unmistakable as one of confidence rather than ferocity. It suits Zelda's reserved adult demeanor. Her hand being outstretched is a clear move of action to confront her attackers. More dynamic, more beautiful, more confident, more actionable. A superior choice.

:ultzelda: 9.5/10 : This is actually harder to judge in this same line-up purely because of how different this Zelda is. Whereas the previous ones are all from "Darker-toned" Zelda games (OoT, TP, etc.), this Zelda is from the lighter side of the Zelda series (Minish cap, WW, LbtW, Spirit Tracks). In these games, Zelda is more of a light-hearted young lady with a pure nature and a sense of responsibility. She takes a more active role in these stories as a close friend to Link in the fight. The "Reserved Adult Regality" nature of the other Zeldas in this line-up don't really apply. She's no child here, but this also isn't the Zelda that currently bears the full weight of ruling all of Hyrule.

All from that perspective, seeing this as a Zelda in the midsts of this transition period, this is a perfect representation of her. Her attitude is confident, but somewhat playful. The way everything is loose and flowing in the wind implies this is not a Zelda currently tied down by her royal responsibilities (notice how tied down her hair and dresses are in the previous models in comparison). Her pose fills the frame and it says a lot about her character. I see a Zelda that's still coming to grips with her powers and using them in various, experimental ways.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
He's the curer of Fevers and Chills, the prescriber of Megavitamins, and became a plumber in an alternate reality: #18 Dr. Mario

Melee: :drmario:

Image Link

Dr. Mario has appeared and brings complementary Megavitamin lollipops. Wait, I shouldn't eat those unless I have a fever or the chills? Dang. Anyway, The Doc's pose here is pretty good. It's like he's saying, "HERE! TAKE THE PILL!" in an overly-heroic fashion. Though, even as a Doctor, I must assume that Mario's heroic nature still took major precedent in his personality despite being a Doctor. Still saving lives, albeit in a very different fashion than his parallel universe self.
7.6/10

Character Select Screen Portrait: CSSP

Image Link

Gotta say, I really love what we can see of this CSSP. He's pulled out a stethoscope to see whether or not he can hear a heartbeat. If he can still hear a heartbeat, then he hasn't successfully beaten his enemy to death. I think it's pretty fantastic despite not seeing all of it.
8/10

Brawl: Wait, what? Is this the first Melee vet to MISS Brawl?! But he was in the code at least, yeah? Yeah.

Wii U/3DS: :4drmario:

Image Link

As Dr. Mario finally returned to Smash after many years, he took it upon himself to make up for lost time and hop into that "serious mode" that he missed in Brawl. He looks a bit too tough for a Doctor, if you get my meaning. It's like you can tell he intends to break your bones and then charge you the medical fee for his follow-up. Dr. Mario: the only doctor who puts you in his own clinic.
7/10

Ultimate: :ultdoc:

Image Link

Now THAT'S a doctorly pose if I've ever seen one! It may not be very actionable or dynamic, but I love the simplicity of him holding his hand up to his chin as he contemplates your treatment plan. A detail I love is that you can see his shirt underneath his coat, especially in his right sleeve. He looks very professional here.
8.6/10

Greatest to least: :ultdoc: > CSSP > :drmario: > :4drmario:

How do you all feel about the doctor's renders?

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
With all the dynamism of the Ultimate renders, even through all of the cool character design changes and the ADORABLE new Zelda, Dr. Mario still is my favorite Ultimate render, and it's probably the least eventful. :ultdoc: In fact, I've seen people say this is the worst one, but I couldn't disagree more.

Why? He's a heavy contrast to Mario. Mario's Ultimate render is dynamic, doing a kick, smiling, ready to fight. Doc here is static, cold, calculated, inquisitive, a stark contrast to Mario's render. It works with the occupation he has, and makes him seem much more ruthless and cool as a result.

Everytime Dr. Mario is seen in the match startup in Ultimate and you hear that low drone before the match starts up, I feel like he's about to fight someone for cold, hard science rather than joy, and the fact that it's Mario both terrifies me and makes me kinda laugh inside.

IDK, maybe I put too much stock into this sorta stuff.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:drmario:: 4/10: Doc....doc, is everythin--DOC!!!
:4drmario:: 2/10: He looks like he's about to prescribe to you a drug that will ruin your life and he's going to enjoy your pain.
:ultdoc:: 10/10: Makes me laugh.

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:drmario:: 8/10 - This pose is pretty great. I like how Dr. Mario looks so excited to be delivering this megavitamin. It's full of energy.
:4drmario:: 6/10 - Uh, why he is trying to look so menacing? It doesn't really work. The pose is good, but it just feels strange to have this scowl on Mario's face.
:ultdoc:: 9/10 - The best one, but just because the pose is perfect. He looks contemplative and as though he's examining something for a patient. Since he's a doctor, this suits him quite well.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:drmario: - 8/10 - I like how happy he is about his job here. He's going to give you that pill with a smile.
:4drmario: - 6/10 - Now he's going to shove that pill down your throat.
:ultdoc: - 8/10 - And lastly he is debating on whether or not shoving that pill down your throat was the best approach.

Dr. Mario is an odd one since none of them are home runs for me and Melee's oddly stands as a front runner alongside Ultimate. I feel the missing pill hurts Ultimate's while Melee's is just a bit too heroic for the doctor approach.

Last edited:

Sammybam88

Smash Cadet
NNID
eliasranchds2
3DS FC
2681-3569-0921
lol smash 4 was like why didn't I get in brawl I'm mad now

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
:drmario:: Kinda dynamic, but it's just Mario in a different outfit.
:4drmario:: I know Dr. Mario's whole shtick is that he's more subdued, but this goes way too far in that direction and looks boring.
:ultdoc:: Perfect.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
:drmario: 8/10 because while it's a little dated today, he looks like he's pumped to join the fight.
:4drmario: 5/10 Looks more mad probably because he didn't make it into Brawl. Seriously, we already have to deal with 1 unhappy Mario.
:ultdoc: 10/10 he nails the look and pose of what you'd imagine a doctor would be like. He's not serious and looks more joyful this time around. Almost makes you forget the fact that he's gonna fair you to oblivion or stomp you to an endless void.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
He's a threat to himself and others, and when he grows up he'll become an icon, it's the 2nd Generation electric rodent: #19 Pichu

Melee: :pichumelee:

Image Link

As far as it's designed, this render falls pretty much in line with Pikachu's poses. Nice consistency for those who appreciate that sort of contextual detail. I like how he's up on the tip-toe of his little foot. Other than that, it isn't super dynamic or interesting. I think it's trying to play on cuteness but I don't think it's working very well in that regard. This pose isn't very flattering on the cuteness factor. It's not even showing the tail very clearly either.
6.2/10

Character Select Screen Portrait: CSSP

Image Link

Now, THAT'S cute! It's like he's doing a sort of doggie-paddle swim in midair. It's a much better angled image for Pichu's overall shape. It's not perfect though, as his tail isn't visible for whatever reason and the cheeks are a little too purple instead of the pink they're supposed to be.
7/10

Ultimate: :ultpichu:

Image Link

Oh my gosh, he's adorable. This render comes with an impeccably, and strangely satisfying, round silhouette that really shows off what makes Pichu Pichu. Also, a very strong presence from his tail! It looks like the top part of a musical note! Honestly, it takes many notes from the Melee render, but it simply does it a lot better.
8.2/10

Greatest to Least: :ultpichu: > CSSP > :pichumelee:

What are your opinions on Pichu's renders?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:pichumelee: - 4.5/10 - Something about the face seems really off.
:ultpichu: - 8.5/10 - Cute and effective, though simple. Kind of makes me think of Kirby's.

Not much to add or say on Pichu's.

Last edited:

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:pichumelee:: 7/10 - This one is decent enough. Personally, I find Pichu's dead-looking stare here to be off-putting, but at least the pose itself is fine.
:ultpichu:: 8/10 - This pose is not necessarily more dynamic than his other one, but it's much more appealing. There's just something inherently satisfying and cute about this pose that I cannot describe.

Top Bottom