• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate That Render! (Now Rating: #49 Little Mac)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
In terms of pose, I think I have to give it to Brawl. It's nice simple and nothing weird. It's Luigi being simply Luigi. No planking, no posing for spanking, no giant head, no whatever his Melee one is. It's nice, simple, and Luigi

Musha4DaWin

Smash Cadet
:luigi64: 6.3/10 The proportions are very off, and he’s stiff. It looks okay.
:luigimelee: 4.0/10 EXCUSE ME WHAT NO
CSS: 7.2/10 Somewhat better.
:luigi2:8.1/10 Luigi’s just doing him. Living his best life. I like it.
:4luigi: 4.0/10 Did we go back to Melee? He’s so expressionless!
:ultluigi:9.3/10 YASS QUEEN DO YOUR POSE YASS

aarchak

Smash Ace
Luigi

:luigi64:: 5/10
Stiff and expressionless, but still somehow doesn't completely break with Luigi.
:luigimelee:: 8/10
Classic Luigi right there, doing his terrible dash attack.
:luigi2:: 6/10
He looks more ready than Luigi should, and that's a little out of character.
:4luigi:: 4/10
It's goofy, but doesn't express Luigi at all.
:ultluigi:: 9/10
Nearly perfect, it encapsulates Luigi so well.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
64: 3/5 Nothing really remarkable about it but it's fine.
Melee(CSS): 3/5 He looks ready for adventure. His scardy personality and second banana status wasn't fully implemented just yet even with luigi's mansion so this is fine.
Brawl: 3/5 Doesn't really fit his personality, but it is still an overall nice pose.
Smash 4: 2/5 Really not like him and it isn't that good of a pose.
Smash Ultimate: 4/5 A nice pose and it fits him really well.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:luigi64:: 3/10: He's just standing there.
:luigimelee:: 6/10: This image was the first to begin Smash's stereotype of Luigi being an awkward character.
:luigi2:5/10: He's just standing there again....
:4luigi:: 7/10: Not bad, especially since it's in the form of one of his taunts.
:ultluigi:: 10/10: Perfection.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
He's the PK Powerhouse, always Rockin' out, and through Eight Melodies is Bound to Mother Earth: 10 Ness

Smash 64: :ness64:

Higher Quality Image Link

Now here's a character I think really benefits from this 2D comic book style! I really love the shape of his silhouette in this one. The way his wide clothes are shaped in contrast to his really skinny arms and legs, man I really get a kick out of it. I love how he's holding the bat as if to say "This is my bat" almost as if he were showing it to his friends (probably Paula). Side note, does anyone enjoy the rosy cheeks like I do?
7.5/10

Melee: :nessmelee:

HQ Image Link (Transparent BG)

Now, here's something interesting. i'll tell you right now that Ness' Melee art is the most dynamic of his entire set! No joke! As interesting as the pose is, and by itself the pose is actually pretty great, the whole thing is sorta ruined for me by his head. It's just... turned really weird. It's like when you turn the head of a doll or action figure, it looks really unnatural and unpleasant. The angle is just... ugh.
5/10

Character Select Screen Portrait: CSSP

Image Link

Really wish I knew what his left hand is doing as its cut off, is it holding a bat? By itself this isn't a bad pose either. The head isn't turned strangely either. The thumbs up is nice, but what about Ness' signature two-fingered "V" for victory sign? Also,why is his hat strange? The brim's backwards! Actually, his entire model is reversed! The image itself is backwards! No, that's actually how it looks in Melee. Weird. (Note, this render and the other Melee render are the last we see of the rosy cheeks, and this render is the last we see of the bat for a little bit.)
5.2/10

Brawl: :ness2:

HQ Image Link

I know what this pose references. It's Ness' official artwork pose form EarthBound. It's a nice callback, but since this is Ness' third outing in the Smash series, I was hoping for something more interesting pose-wise. Eh, can't blame the kid for his simple pose preferences. His shape is easily recognizable, however, so that is a plus.
7/10

Wii U/3DS: :4ness:

Image Link

Continuing on the simple fourside of things, with one fist clenched, and the other hand pointing out, this pose actually looks quite natural for Ness. No unnatural head turns here. I like that you can actually see the backpack instead of just the straps. I think this pose stands out a pretty great compared to prior ones, if only due to the overall sharpness of the quality. Something even so subtle as the alternate placement of each foot really bring it out.
8.4/10

Ultimate: :ultness:

Image Link

Strange, I had always thought that Ness' shirt was always blue with yellow stripes, but this render makes it look yellow with blue stripes. I wonder which it is? Back to the topic at hand, it may be a simple pose, but I think it does its job amazingly. Notice how his left arm is held in that position from his original/Brawl art. The backpack is visible, he's resting his bat (which has returned after 17 years) on his shoulder, and you can even—for the first time ever—see his neck and shirt collar! I love how the bat looks like a child's wooden bat as opposed to the sharp sheen of the Melee render's polished bat. The only thing he's missing are his rosy cheeks.
9/10

Greatest to least: :ultness: > :4ness: > :ness64: > :ness2: > CSSP > :nessmelee:

And that's Ness! What do you guys think of his render?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ness64: - 5.5/10 - It's simple yet effective. Nothing too special and a rather odd way to hold a bat, but that's also cute in a way.
:nessmelee: - 3/10 - His head makes me think of the horror head spins.
:ness2: - 2.5/10 - He looks like he is battling constipation.
:4ness: - 5.5/10 - Aww, he's pointing.
:ultness: - 8.5/10 - Pretty well rounded and showcases his bat and backpack in a way that looks natural.

I was never the biggest fan of Ness, but I do fully respect his spot on the roster. I however was even more uncaring for most of his renders than I figured I would be. Most of them are pretty boring or have some awkward aspects. With the style of the character, the renders without the bulk of his backpack being hidden make me think of toddler harnesses or leashes. Taking the bat away from him also makes him look duller and more uninteresting. And only two of the renders have him with a actual neck though Smash 4 barely has it for a possible technical third. Overall, I'm not impressed. Melee tried to hit the neck, backpack, and bat but did so in a rather weird fashion. Ultimate managed to capture all of them and make it look more natural though.

:ultness: > > > > > :ness64: & :4ness: > > > :nessmelee: > :ness2:

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Ranking: :ultness: > :4ness: > :ness64: >>>>>>>>> :nessmelee: & :ness2:

Once Ness got the super round head and they stopped using lighting on his eyes, he became WAY cuter to look at and actually looks like a kid to me. Don't get me wrong, I still loved him in Melee and Brawl (my main in those games), but his Smash 4 art was really in the right direction to me. He's adorable and powerful, my favorite combo. :p

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ness64:: 4/10: Just looks boring.
:nessmelee:: 3/10: What is he doing.
:ness2:: 5/10: He's just standing there....
:4ness:: 8/10: not bad.
:ultness:: 10/10: Perfection.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Thank Heavens he's on the right side, or else there'd be nowhere to hide. 11 Captain Falcon will always be bound; hot on the trail, tracking rogues down! Give it up for the Capitan! Three cheers for the Falcon!

Smash 64: :falcon64:

HQ Image Link

Can I safely say that Captain Falcon has essentially become the mascot of Smash? (He was almost the mascot of the SNES) Regardless, the supersonic racer has punched his way into Smash starting with the comic book style of 64. I must say, in this style he resembles a superhero. I really love his design in this render. I can actually imagine seeing this on the front cover of a comic book. It's solid, nothing too fancy, but it's solid.
7.7/10

Melee: :falconmelee:

Image Link

Holy crap that was turned up to 10! Hitting Melee, the Grand Prix Champion here decided to go full in making his official render an incredible representation of Melee itself. If anything, Captain Falcon IS Melee. You all know it's the truth. I love the speed and ferocity of this pose, and how he's completely leaned in one direction like some sort of feral animal. Since he's a bounty hunter, it fits watching him go full predator mode to achieve his goal. Wanted: Dead or Whatever's left after the Falcon Punch.
9.2/10

Image Link

Well, for the first time we have a character whose CSSP is actually slightly less interesting than his primary Melee artwork. Doesn't say much because both are actually pretty good. This by itself is a great portrait because it's one of Captain Falcon's taunts.
8.4/10

Brawl: :falcon:

Image Link

Borrowing his idea from the Melee CSSP and reusing the taunt pose was an interesting choice, though not one I would've made. Personally, I think the pose is still great as this pose has never failed Falcon. Though it does a great job of showing off Falcon's more updated Smash design.
7.5/10

Wii U/3DS: :4falcon:

I have to say, this pose is pretty strange. I get what they were going for, and I appreciate it... but it still looks strange. Yes, he's mid-kick, but I think they could've done much better with this one. That's not to say it's bad by any means, I just think it's weird.
7.6/10

Ultimate: :ultfalcon:

Image Link

He may not be full lean like in his Melee artwork, but I enjoy this one a lot. The stance is strong, the wind is flowing through his scarf, and he looks ready to deck someone in the schnoz. Also, this dudes THIGHS, holy crap they're massive!
9/10

Greatest to Least: :falconmelee: > :ultfalcon: > CSSP > :falcon64: > :4falcon: > :falcon:

And those are the ratings of Captain Douglas Jay Falcon. How do you feel about his poses over the years?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:falcon64: and :falconmelee:: 1/10: I'm sorry, but he looks like a ped in both of these.
:falcon:: 3/10: Looks like a disgruntled army general or something.
:4falcon:: 5/10: Right after doing Falcon Kick....ok.
:ultfalcon:: 10/10: He looks like he's rearing after doing a falcon punch....amazing!

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:falcon64: - 9/10 - I actually think they hit the nail on the head pretty hard for the comic style art of him. It looks really nice and suiting on him. On further inspection I dropped the score when I noticed the crotch and hip line, they're a little off in looking natural like he has medal underwear on.
:falconmelee: - 7/10 - Going to dissent from the above first two reviews, I feel the pose isn't the best of the group. It's not bad, but I feel it leaves him looking a little strange. The gaping mouth doesn't help.
:falcon: - 7/10 - Standing tall and confident. It's fitting but a bit bland.
:4falcon: - 9.5/10 - Oh now this one is different. Seeing the sole of his boot from his kick adds some dynamic to this one that is welcome. Did he just kick Kirby's face in? I like it, but it's a little awkward at the same time. Also I don't think it's Falcon Kick, I think it's the move were he does a kick in front of him and then swings his foot behind him for a kick behind as well? Like he's kicking away a bunch of pests.
:ultfalcon: - 9.5/10 - Has a strong pose here that makes him look threatening. I think it could be better though and those thighs are getting a bit huge, he surely isn't skipping led days.

Captain Falcon! Back in the Melee days I kind of viewed him as the egotistical and pompous kind like how I thought of James Bond at the time as well. I must say though, I now like the guy and what he brings to the roster with his over the top moves and cliche aspects. Though him killing the Pikmin with his skid landing through them was a bit of a jerk move in SSE. In terms of his renders, I think he always was pretty on top of it and looking good. I ended up with a tie for the top dog! It was actually a three way tie till I noticed the weird design of his crotch in 64. 4's just as such a dynamic and different pose that I can't help but like it. Meanwhile Ultimate's is also a very strong contender showing off his muscle and strength.

:4falcon: & :ultfalcon: > :falcon64: > :falcon: & :falconmelee:

A very strong showing overall.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon

:falcon64:: 7/10
:falconmelee:: 8/10
:falcon:: 6/10
:4falcon:: 9/10
:ultfalcon:: 9/10

Also, I never noticed this before, but Falcon has a blaster in all of his renders (except Melee's, where it's blocked by his body). Why doesn't he ever use it?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Captain Falcon

:falcon64:: 7/10
:falconmelee:: 8/10
:falcon:: 6/10
:4falcon:: 9/10
:ultfalcon:: 9/10

Also, I never noticed this before, but Falcon has a blaster in all of his renders (except Melee's, where it's blocked by his body). Why doesn't he ever use it?
He did in an old comic Nintendo published around the time of the original games release:

Just a side note, Falcon is awesome here too.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
o, I never noticed this before, but Falcon has a blaster in all of his renders (except Melee's, where it's blocked by his body). Why doesn't he ever use it?
Basically, Captain Falcon is a Melee Kamen Rider for Smash. They are using martial arts and most of them do not use any weapon or prefer to not us it.
The explanation why he doesn't use his gun, because Smash is a comic brawler for Teens was gone when Snake entered the rooster. Actually with Fox already.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
:falcon64: - 5/10 not much to say here I guess
:falconmelee: - 3/10 just...nah
:falcon: - 6/10 decent pose, but something about the face bugs me
:4falcon:- 7/10 the pose is more dynamic, I like it
:ultfalcon: - 10/10 OH NO HE’S HOT??

Last edited:

Sammybam88

Smash Cadet
NNID
eliasranchds2
3DS FC
2681-3569-0921
My rating is from greatest to worst ultimate to cssp to melee to 64 to brawl to 4

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
He did in an old comic Nintendo published around the time of the original games release:

Just a side note, Falcon is awesome here too.
Did he just gun down King K. Rool?

Anyway, here are my ratings:
:falcon64: - 7/10. Really like the comic book look. He just looks kinda bored though.
:falconmelee: - 8/10. I like this one a lot. It gives me "Saturday morning cartoon" vibes.
:falcon:- 6/10. Kinda the same as Melee's, only he looks more stiff and lifeless.
:4falcon:- 7/10. It's a cool, energetic pose, but I feel like it's kind of a weird one to use for Captain Falcon.
:ultfalcon:- 9/10. Definitely the best of the bunch. Looks like he's ready to kick *** and take names. I just wish his face showed a little more emotion.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:falcon64:: 8/10 - Though simple, this pose just works, imo. It suits Cap quite well.
:falconmelee:: 8/10 - This is a good pose too. This is easily his most dynamic pose.
:falcon:: 6/10 - While this taunt is pretty iconic, it's bland as a standard pose. It's something, but it's a bit lacking.
:4falcon:: 5/10 - I mean... it's dynamic? I honestly really dislike this pose. It just seems awkward to me...
:ultfalcon:: 9/10 - Inarguably my favorite pose. It shows a very good silhouette while referencing the move Falcon is known for, so bonus points for that.

ToniestTony

Smash Rookie
Well I came right on time, falcon is my main in every smash game!

:falcon64: 5/10 : He looks too still and serious
:falconmelee: 7/10 : It's a bit too much for a pose, he looks like he might fall
:falconmelee: css 7.5/10 : Simple, but it represents an iconic taunt
:falcon: 8/10 : Almost the same as melee css, but his face and scarf looks better
:4falcon: 9/10 : I like this pose, it's dynamic and it looks like he's about to kick you!
:ultfalcon: 10/10 : His best pose so far, he looks ready to fight and the scarf in the wind is a nice touch

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
The power of the melody moves you; the siren song of Mt. Moon, the bright-eyed balloon: 12 Jigglypuff

Smash 64: :jigglypuff64:

Image Link

Finally, we've reached the last of the original 12, Jigglypuff. She sits along Kirby as among the least visually interesting characters on the roster. This pose goes along with that idea as well, since it's pretty bland. Heck, even Kirby had his arm up in his initial pose. Also, this is the period where Jiggs had those soulless eyes. Not really pleasant to look at anymore.
4/10

Melee: :jigglypuffmelee:

Image Link (Finding a better version of this render was impossible)

Despite the arms being slightly changed a tad, this pose is almost completely identical to her 64 pose and just as bland. Personally, I see more life in this pose than in the last one, probably due to the change of her eyes coloration. She doesn't look entirely glazed over. Still, it isn't really that much improved.
4.2/10

And here we have yet another case of the CSSP's being more interesting than the primary render... though in this case, not by much. Her pose was tilted slightly. That's really all there is to it.
4.8/10

Brawl: :jigglypuff:

Image Link

Oh, you've GOT to be kidding me?! The SAME pose, THREE GAMES IN A ROW?! In the 64 artwork, her arms were in, in the Melee render, her arms were out, and here for Brawl her arms are down. Next you're going to tell me that her arms in Sm4sh will be up?
4.5/10

Wii U/3DS: :4jigglypuff:

Image Link

...I was kidding about the arms being up thing... However, this is a turning point for Jigglypuff's poses. She's actually doing something this time! A little tip toe pose. It's nice. She no longer has those soulless eyes and she's displaying a lot more whimsy with this render. I like it SO much better than her prior renders.
8/10

Ultimate: :ultjigglypuff:

Image Link

Ironic, the quality of the model used in the render is still higher than her Wii U/3DS render, but the posing it slightly less interesting. The change in angle and where her eyes are focused really save this from being rated low like her other renders. It's passable, but it could've been stronger.
7/10

Greatest to Least: :4jigglypuff: > :ultjigglypuff: > CSSP > :jigglypuff: > :jigglypuffmelee: > :jigglypuff64:

Overall, I feel Jigglypuff's renders were not so great. Sm4sh really did its best to save her pose history though, and succeeded for the most part.

Anyways, this is the last of the characters that originated in Smash 64. From this point onward, the comic-book style of render will no longer exist for future characters, which is one less render to rate.

What do you guys think of the balloon songstress and her renders?

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
:jigglypuff64:: 1/10 - The lowest rating I've given thus far, and for good reason. This render is trash. No energy, no character, just creepy eyes and off-model Jigglypuff.
:jigglypuffmelee:: 3/10 - This pose is nigh identical, but I'll give more points just for being less unsettling.
:jigglypuff:: 3/10 - In a first, Jigglypuff becomes the only character to reuse a pose thrice! It's pretty disappointing. I get that she's just a ball with stubs, but you guys can do better than this.
:4jigglypuff:: 8/10 - At Last! A new pose, and an honestly good one, too! Jiggs looks so carefree here, I love it.
:ultjigglypuff:: 7/10 - I enjoy the implied Rollout happening here, but this pose has regressed into less-posed Jigglypuff territory again. Unfortunate. Still looks really good though.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Jigglypuff’s renders in order from best to worst:

Smash Ultimate
Smash 4
Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl

I grouped Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl together because they're just too similar. They’re all equally s***.

Last edited:
Top Bottom