• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my sister's Ness

TheLake

Smash Master
Not a shabby fox, but I guess were here for ness so here goes....

Dash attack is a decent opener against fast fallers but you abuse WAY to much. Try grabing more and going for some wicked fun chain grabs. Also once you pop fox in the air use ness's uptilt for some juggles and work some double jump cancled upairs. Oh right forgot to mention...Double jump cancel is ness's best friend. Use it to set up Dair openers. Nice usage of that bat (I think I recall a nice tip or two)and decent spacing (way to keep to the ground)

Oh and dont be afraid to go for that yo-yo glitch. All the cool ness's are doing it *wink*
Not bad though...for a woman *Sexism alarm goes off* (; ....bagh just messin

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
I'm a ness main too... i'm better than your sister but i'm sure she'll become really good if she uses new moves.

TheLake, you were talking about double jump cancel.... please explain how to do it.... chain grabs too. i tried going to the thread that explains it all but it was way to confusing.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Who are you people?

The Ness needs a lot of work. She's got some of the spacing and mindgames down, but she completely lacks technical prowess with Ness. TheLake has it right with the Double Jump cancelling moves, it's a neccesity for a Ness, but it's also a difficult move to just LEARN. There's no one perfect way to double jump cancel, you have to learn the spacing for it and the different ways to use it gradually. She just needs to use her second jump in the air, then immediately use an aerial attack, that way she can attack lower on the ground. She also needs to work on her short hops, full jump dairs are largely useless, SHed dairs are godly.

Less dash attacks, I can not stress that enough.

Just learn the spacing for your aerials, you like to stay on the ground too much, when Ness is best when he can get his enemies in the air. Use your ground moves as openers or finishers, don't try to use them to build damage(IE, grab someone and throw them up, then follow up with aerials and finish with a bat. Something like that. Dash Attack's are best when spaced so the farthest part of the dash hits the enemy, because it pops them up into the air and gives enough hitstun to follow with a good aerial, sometimes even enough for a bair.)

Watch the videos of these Nesses and try to copy some of their moves, even if you're just copying someone, it helps you grasp Ness's basic concepts better, and you can mix in the moves you like with your own style to create something unique.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1p7WbuWBYtk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6LdZ4mflE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ore4ueLL78
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7779874900018764051&q=ness+ssbm
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=81367513663322119&q=ness+ssbm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JPsV-1tZ8BA

darkshy

Smash Ace
My sister says thanks to you guys except for Ademsik, but I told her you were giving great advice so she doesn't hates you...as much lol girls will be girls huh? Seriously though I'll get her on this stuff. Thanks to everyone.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Huh? I was talking to the other two guys, with the first comment. I just find it odd for two people who've never really visited the Ness boards much to be giving advice in this topic suddenly. TheLake's advice was okay, though I don't really agree with it for the most part....I just haven't seen him around before. And now that I look at it, AllanT was just asking a question really. And for that matter, Ness's only chaingrab is uptrhwoing Foxes or Falcos, at low %s.

But seriously, all of you need to stick around and post on the Ness boards. Just do it.

Levitas

the moon
Ok, the easy fixes first:

You seem to like to attack. A lot. Curb the enthusiasm to an extent because if you're always attacking in the direction of the enemy, you can be predicted. A little restraint goes a long way in terms of being so predictable.

Recognize the patterns of your enemy. You should usually be doing one of two things: watching your opponent while moving around, or attacking/moving in for an attack. If you're always attacking, you can't be dodging the fox and punishing the missed attack. For lower level play (no offense, I just mean w/o learning to wavedash etc.) you can start by watching them run up to you only to have you spot dodge or roll, and then attack them while they're finishing the attack.

If you're not attacking and don't know what to do, move around. Dash dancing is one of the easiest ways to effectively do this, and it's just a matter of timing.

Make use of a couple of different approaches. A few good ones are running up and grabbing OR dash attacking at a farther distance (like bat distance), or instead of just jumping and doing an aerial, pause for a little in the air by double jumping and immediately doing the same aerial attack you would have done. for example: if you would jump and hit with a down air (the stomp), double jump and then stomp some of the time, because if your brother expects it sooner, you may hit with the double jump then stomp.

DJC (or double jump cancelling) is the name for what I described above. If you do an attack too soon in Ness's second jump, he'll stop moving upward. This can be used for low aerials, or to manipulate the timing of attacks.

I respect that casual play has it's place, and the stuff I just described is all within the realm of anyone's ability to do. They're just a few steps you can take to make you game more solid without spending time learning advanced techniques. Of course if you want to learn them, I whole-heartedly endorse their use.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask. Any one new to the Ness boards, welcome! And happy New Year!

Levitas

the moon
?
is this thread suddenly not relevant because Ademisk likes little boys? or are you calling simna sexy? or are you calling Ademisk or Simna out? confusing is the word that best describes your post.

TheLake

Smash Master
Hey i think there sexy too! *looks around* Oh wow i thought this gal was using zelda. I must have mistaken the two. When i meant Double jump cancels i meant abuse the Fair and Bair. Silly me *chuckles*

But seriously yeah i just play ness from time to time (Hes just tooo hip...like cher but with a hat and bat) and i was bored so i thought id drop my 2 cents...I tend to do that alot *shrugs* sorry if i offended any ness players with my lack of knowledge on smash. This certainly wont be the last time I do this so i apologize once again in advance.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
No, I just was wondering who you are, again, I'm kinda biased because of all the brawl boarders who popped in just to tell us Ness is gone in Brawl, pretending to be Ness players, who I've never seen post here, and never posted here again. It kinda got to me, sorry if I was a little offensive.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
The Fox needs a lot of work. Not as fast as I would have liked it to be. You need to SHFFL more nairs into shines. L-cancel everything into shines right away instead of waiting for half a second to be more effective. At the beginning of the video, you did a dsmash. Don't ever do that again at 0%. Ness could have easily grabbed you and do something to punish you. Don't use it until mid-high percentages. Uthrow to uair ***** Ness. Nair to usmash also works at mid percentages. Sweetspot better with Firefox. And finally, learn to waveland when you can. Other than that, pretty good. (May seem like a bit much but don't worry:))

lol. Look at me rating the Fox. Sry. I'm a Fox main so I had to.

Ness...hmmm...

Definitely DJC more. DJC fair to grab works well on Fox. Dthrow to tech chase more. Against a Fox recovering, jump out with a nair. That's really all I can say that hasn't really been covered. Pretty decent. Your getting there.

Top Bottom