• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Rate my bowser" Thread - Post YOUR bowser vids here

Star Child

Smash Rookie
K. Going to apex. Registered, got the days off work, and buying my plane ticket this weekend. Excited to talk some Bowser stuff with you guys and get some friendlies in!:)

Kalimari

Smash Cadet
What's up ppl got some more vids for you guys. Got a LOT I need to work on so criticism is welcome, but I hope I can entertain you guys with a few good games of Bowser.

*When Youtube links get uploaded I'll edit out twitch archives because they are a pain.
http://www.twitch.tv/azmeleecommunity/b/633661800

@ 3:20:45 - Kali vs Patcombo (Peach)
Games 2 and 3 I go Bowser. I thinkk I played relatively smart, especially with forward airs. Tell me how to get upairs on this character because that would help a ton~

@ 4:57:25 Kali vs Mexray (Falco)
Games 2 and 5 I go Bowser. There's a loooot I need to work on against these space animals, especially grabbing the dang ledge. I do know how to fortress-hog quickly any direction any level btw I just don't think about doing it in the moment.
Game 5 @ 5:27:36 is my gfycat combo so enjoy that one cuties

I go bowser a couple other games in the tourny but I don't wanna dig through the archives to find them; they're just YS counterpicks for EZ wins

AZ Arcadian on Saturday, I'll try to play on stream and get some more vids 4 you guys. ALSO, any of you Bowser players wanna add me on FB so we can talk bowser there shoot me a PM^^

Last edited:

Kalimari

Smash Cadet
AZ Arcadian vids. Went Bowser a few times on stream, lost most of em but I feel fine about how I played. Got 5th

http://www.twitch.tv/azmeleecommunity/b/636918516
(again if youtube vids ever get created I'll replace the dumb twitch vods with them)

3:42:30 - Kali vs FrenZ (Ice Climbers)
I don't have much IC experience at all but I think I did some okay things. Flame is good, ftilt is good, Klaw fthrow works great into upair on these guys. If I played someone more consistent with wobbling I'd be introuble for sure.

7:22:58 - Kali vs B-stick (Marth)
I hate fighting marth as Bowser. I only picked him because I was up a game and he ran it back to Yoshi's. I kept it close but lemme know what you guys think

7:59:05 Kali vs Trevyn (Link)
Wtf do you do against Link? Lol #1 thing was me getting shieldgrabbed a s***ton. I def needed more klaws on him, that could have won me it I think. Very fun game tho

26:05 (Bowser + Fox team)
Just a stupid teams match we lost on stream. Not much to say here cuz I played like ass but if anyone has some teams insight , go for it.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Just watched your match with Jojo, Synnett. You played really well, but I do have some tips.

First and most important: Kill harder, not smarter.

What do I mean by this? I mean that you should take a mile whenever he gives you an inch. Be aggressive, and don't give him any room to breathe. Work on your punish game, and always stay focused on your goal, that is, to take your opponent's stocks. Don't just hit him to make him slightly more dead; get him off the stage and go for the KO, no matter what percentage he's at. Bowser's defenses are not good, so your offensive game has to be that much better to compensate.

Note that being aggressive doesn't mean mindlessly bum-rushing your opponent at all times. Bowser is bad in the neutral and has no approach options. Being aggressive means maintaining good spacing and fully capitalizing whenever your opponent finds himself in a vulnerable position.

Second, I noticed that Jojo's shield was giving you a hard time, so work on your 'Klaw game. Learn when shielding is your opponent's best/only option, and be ready to 'Klaw him whenever that happens.

Other things to try vs. Link are down-throw techchasing, edgeguarding with fire breath, and timing your fortresshogging when he's going for the ledge so that you can just I-frame through his up-B and get the edgehog.

Good work overall. Link is a tough matchup for Boozer, and yet you still gave Jojo quite the run for his money. Props, dude. :grin:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Just watched your match with Jojo, Synnett. You played really well, but I do have some tips.

What do I mean by this? I mean that you should take a mile whenever he gives you an inch. Be aggressive, and don't give him any room to breathe. Work on your punish game, and always stay focused on your goal, that is, to take your opponent's stocks. Don't just hit him to make him slightly more dead; get him off the stage and go for the KO, no matter what percentage he's at. Bowser's defenses are not good, so your offensive game has to be that much better to compensate.

Note that being aggressive doesn't mean mindlessly bum-rushing your opponent at all times. Bowser is bad in the neutral and has no approach options. Being aggressive means maintaining good spacing and fully capitalizing whenever your opponent finds himself in a vulnerable position.

Second, I noticed that Jojo's shield was giving you a hard time, so work on your 'Klaw game. Learn when shielding is your opponent's best/only option, and be ready to 'Klaw him whenever that happens.

Other things to try vs. Link are down-throw techchasing, edgeguarding with fire breath, and timing your fortresshogging when he's going for the ledge so that you can just I-frame through his up-B and get the edgehog.

Good work overall. Link is a tough matchup for Boozer, and yet you still gave Jojo quite the run for his money. Props, dude. :grin:
Hey thnx! ^_^

And yea, I realized that I kept a bad habit from playing Pikachu, I act like every percent matters. xD Altho my neutral game is quite good, I need to koopa klaw those shields, and I need to work on my edge-guard game. I have always played against a Link before going to tournaments, and this thing is just impossible to edge-guard. Even the first stock I took from him, that shiet is almost frame perfect. Flame does not work, as he can simply hookshot, and I have to stay far from the edge or he'll hit me with the spin attack.

But yea, I lack practice in this, and since AI doesn't make the cut, I'll have to trust time and experience in tournies.

Any tips on the capt. falcon match up tho? There are plenty of times I could've edge-guarded but never tried because I was afraid of his upb (that friggin bs) This thing has more range than my f-tilt it's just annoying.

JOJO94

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vintage_Rider

Second, I noticed that Jojo's shield was giving you a hard time, so work on your 'Klaw game. Learn when shielding is your opponent's best/only option, and be ready to 'Klaw him whenever that happens...

...Good work overall. Link is a tough matchup for Boozer, and yet you still gave Jojo quite the run for his money. Props, dude. :grin:
That was a great match Synnett! Link is one of Bowser's worst matchups! Yet it was so close! It only proves that you are better than me. You also had the matchup knowledge! I think personally you need to find a way to evade the boomerang! Because I was getting a lot of followups (or missed opportunities) from that! Your edgeguarding game was good! Like that second stock in Game 1! And yes! You gotta use that ''Klaw'' like E-102 Gamma said! You read those shield and command grab them! I'll see you at the next weekly and we'll play some more!

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Oh hey Gimpy is here, whattup
This seems like the appropriate thread for this so check this out

WOO Bowser in top 10

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Wow gratz man! \o/ I'm still a long way until I get here, we have some epic guys in the top 10 in Montreal lol. (Like Kage and co.)

Is the scene big in your area? : o

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Wow gratz man! \o/ I'm still a long way until I get here, we have some epic guys in the top 10 in Montreal lol. (Like Kage and co.)

Is the scene big in your area? : o
Not nearly as big as Montreal lmao, but it's moderate. We do have some good players, but none like Kage's level.

E-102 Gamma

Smash Journeyman
Why don't you fortress hog on Yoshi's Story? Fortress hogging is one of Bowser's most powerful movement tools, it leads to some very good options (<100% ledge jump on YS puts you on the lower platforms without lag), and it's so easy to do on YS.

Also, grab more. Bowser's running grab has crazy reach, and his throws are quite good for tech chasing and positional advantage in general. His throws are especially potent against fastfallers; with some spot-on timing, you can actually chain throw them with up-throw.

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Why don't you fortress hog on Yoshi's Story? Fortress hogging is one of Bowser's most powerful movement tools, it leads to some very good options (<100% ledge jump on YS puts you on the lower platforms without lag), and it's so easy to do on YS.

Also, grab more. Bowser's running grab has crazy reach, and his throws are quite good for tech chasing and positional advantage in general. His throws are especially potent against fastfallers; with some spot-on timing, you can actually chain throw them with up-throw.
Yeah I should grab more, forgot to grab totally in that set, also missed some key up-airs, and I had the chance to edgeguard a lot but my edgeguards have been terrible, thanks for the critique though, very much appreciated

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Been enjoying playing Bowser for the last couple of months.

No Contest 11 - v4extreme (Bowser) vs Blue53 (Fox)
No Contest 11 - v4extreme (Bowser) vs X-Cal (Falcon)

Beware of bad gameplay and "meme commentary''

Excited to keep playing Bowser after seeing that my losses at this level are almost entirely due to bad decisions and execution rather than Bowser's limitations.

Obvious things that stood out to me are that I can't time ftilt and there were times when I should have klawed X-Cal's recovery but I went for grab instead.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
v4extreme v4extreme You're pretty good! A bit more experience and you'll be able to pull off those edgeguards. For falcon it's pretty safe to hold on to the ledge and KK as they land on stage.

ArleX

Smash Cadet

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
What´s that?
It's a chat for gamers basically, almost like Skype, it's nice if you want to get it it's called Discord.

Either way, your Bowser looks good, and we often discuss meta in that Discord chat so if you have the chance please do join us!

ArleX

Smash Cadet
It's a chat for gamers basically, almost like Skype, it's nice if you want to get it it's called Discord.

Either way, your Bowser looks good, and we often discuss meta in that Discord chat so if you have the chance please do join us!
Oh I see, thanks man I will check it out then

Top Bottom