• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranno Announced as DLC for Rivals of Aether

Kicking off their Super Smash Con panel, the team behind Rivals of Aether released the trailer for one of their future DLC characters: Ranno, a poison-themed water elemental character. Alongside Ranno, the trailer also announced that the Ori and Sein DLC will launch on August 23rd.

Alongside the trailer's live premiere, developers Dan Fornace and Trevor Youngblood and community manager George "Etalus" Rogers discussed Ranno's moveset and his unique mechanics. The first and simplest of which is his super jump, which can be performed by full hopping out of a crouch for extra height.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ranno's defining mechanic is his poison stack. Certain attacks - including his jab combo, strong attacks, and side and up specials - add a stack of poison to the opponent on hit. Poisoned opponents take damage every time they attack, though landing a hit removes a stack of poison.

Ranno can also trap opponents in large bubbles, either by launching them into one placed on the field with his neutral special or by hitting them with his down special, a long-range command grab using his tongue. Trapped opponents are left wide open to combos and stay trapped longer for each stack of poison they have.

Alongside their poison effect, Ranno's side special and up special both have their own unique properties. His side special is a weak projectile that can be charged to fire up to four projectiles in a narrow spread. His up special travels a relatively short distance, but it has two different follow-up attacks - a stationary spinning attack that fires projectiles, and a dive kick.

Rivals of Aether is available on Steam and on Xbox One. Ranno will launch in late 2017 alongside three as of yet unannounced DLC characters.

Scribe

Comments

Poison characters have an infamous rep in Platform fighters(I remember when they were pretty much autobanned by people in the Ultimate Ninja games) but I trust Dan & the gang to keep him tame here going by how well they made Zet's burning mechanic work.

This character makes me want to buy RoA. It looks so perfect for my playstyle! Also makes me curious about the other elemental 'twists' we can expect for the upcoming DLC characters. If poison is used as a subset of the water element, what other themes can they play off of?

This character makes me want to buy RoA. It looks so perfect for my playstyle! Also makes me curious about the other elemental 'twists' we can expect for the upcoming DLC characters. If poison is used as a subset of the water element, what other themes can they play off of?
It's a great game. Great pixel art, great mechanics, etc. My only qualm w/ it is no online 4P FFA. And that's a BIG qualm for me. Especially since they don't plan to add it. I no longer player it due to that, but I'd still recommend the game to anyone who doesn't mind that.

Also, props to other martial arts frogs out there! Croak from Battlerite and Rash from Killer Instinct(/Battletoads)!

edit:
and I forgot Wu from Gigantic lol. And I guess the wrestling frog from Brawlout.

Last edited:
It's a great game. Great pixel art, great mechanics, etc. My only qualm w/ it is no online 4P FFA. And that's a BIG qualm for me. Especially since they don't plan to add it. I no longer player it due to that, but I'd still recommend the game to anyone who doesn't mind that.

Also, props to other martial arts frogs out there! Croak from Battlerite and Rash from Killer Instinct(/Battletoads)!

edit:
and I forgot Wu from Gigantic lol. And I guess the wrestling frog from Brawlout.
And Croagunk from Pokkén

Kicking off their Super Smash Con panel, the team behind Rivals of Aether released the trailer for one of their future DLC characters: Ranno, a poison-themed water elemental character. Alongside Ranno, the trailer also announced that the Ori and Sein DLC will launch on August 23rd.

Alongside the trailer's live premiere, developers Dan Fornace and Trevor Youngblood and community manager George "Etalus" Rogers discussed Ranno's moveset and his unique mechanics. The first and simplest of which is his super jump, which can be performed by full hopping out of a crouch for extra height.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ranno's defining mechanic is his poison stack. Certain attacks - including his jab combo, strong attacks, and side and up specials - add a stack of poison to the opponent on hit. Poisoned opponents take damage every time they attack, though landing a hit removes a stack of poison.

Ranno can also trap opponents in large bubbles, either by launching them into one placed on the field with his neutral special or by hitting them with his down special, a long-range command grab using his tongue. Trapped opponents are left wide open to combos and stay trapped longer for each stack of poison they have.

Alongside their poison effect, Ranno's side special and up special both have their own unique properties. His side special is a weak projectile that can be charged to fire up to four projectiles in a narrow spread. His up special travels a relatively short distance, but it has two different follow-up attacks - a stationary spinning attack that fires projectiles, and a dive kick.

Rivals of Aether is available on Steam and on Xbox One. Ranno will launch in late 2017 alongside three as of yet unannounced DLC characters.

Finally a poison character- but will it be banned?

Dan Fornace has confirmed via screenshots of design documents on his twitter that the third air character will pilot a mini-mecha of some sort, and the team's artists have hinted at a sword character that seems to wield some sort of plasma blade with a torch-like hilt as the third fire character. The third earth character is the only one we don't know anything about yet.

Dan Fornace has confirmed via screenshots of design documents on his twitter that the third air character will pilot a mini-mecha of some sort, and the team's artists have hinted at a sword character that seems to wield some sort of plasma blade with a torch-like hilt as the third fire character. The third earth character is the only one we don't know anything about yet.
a Mecha?
A Solotarobo/Tail Concerto character perhaps?

Top Bottom