• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rank the Smash Bros Series

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Bros is jam packed with iconic characters. But what's just as important as these characters are the series of games they come from. In some cases, the series in which these characters come from are more popular than the fighter themselves. How many times has an uninformed video gamer thought Link was Zelda because of the title of the series? Or only known Pit by the name of Kid Icarus? Obviously these series are an important part of the character's identity. And with each Smash installment, more and more franchises are introduced into the fighting crossover we've all came to love. Super Smash Bros Ultimate has already brought in Splatoon, a fresh new video game shooter, and Castlevania, an old school NES action-adventure classic. So, with all of that in mind, I thought it would be a fun and difficult task to rank the Smash Bros series from your favorite to least favorite. Here's a few things you should no before making your list.

• The retro franchises can be excluded from your list, as most of them only consist of one game (Duck Hunt, Ice Climber, R.O.B., Game & Watch)
  • You may choose to only rate the franchises you have played, as most of the ones you haven't would be at the bottom of the list anyways
  • Cultural impact, legacy, or personal opinion can all be considered when making your list
  • At the end of every week, I will tally everything up and post which franchises are in the lead for being the most popular
  • Ranking them numerically will be most convenient for me
1. Super Mario: It's cliche to put this series first, I know, but I have the most experience with it and the most memories. From playing Super Mario 64 for the first time at my grandmas house on Christmas, to purchasing my first 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land, going to Target an hour early to wait in line for Super Mario Galaxy 2... There's so many moments I've shared with not only the games but the lovable characters in them, such as Mario, Luigi, and Toad.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Another predictable pick. The Legend of Zelda was actually a contender for the #1 spot, but I just have more history with the Mario series. Anyways, the series arguable first garnered critical acclaim and widespread attention after the release of the first game, but things really took off when Ocarina of Time released for the N64. It was different than any game that had ever been released at that time, and revolutionized gaming forever. Stand out titles would follow after that consistently, including Majoras Mask, Twilight Princess, and my personal favorite, Breath of the Wild.

3. Kirby: A lot of people consider the big three of Nintendo franchises Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Some might consider Metroid or Donkey Kong or even Splatoon to be apart of that category of "big name" Nintendo titles. But to me, the big three was always Mario, Zelda, and Kirby. Maybe it's the cuteness of the series, or the fact that it has been consistently producing fun and entertaining titles for a long time. With an ever expanding library of games, with recent additions like Planet Robobot and Star Allies, Kirby's adventures don't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf completely changed how I played my 3DS. Before that, I would get on it every couple of days, but there was no ambition to play it ever single day. But, when I picked up the Animal Crossing title for the 3DS, I suddenly had a reason to pick up my portable every morning and check on my town. I was mesmerized by the gameplay, which was different than anything I had ever played. Getting to constantly improve my town and work towards no goals is something I still find fun today, as this is still a title I pick up every once in a while.

5. Donkey Kong: Choosing this spot was hard, but then I remembered how much fun I had playing the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, and I knew that the DK series just had to be in the top 5. One thing this franchise has going for it is a great cast of characters. Dixie Kong is one of my personal favorites, with other standouts being Diddy, Tiny, Cranky, and King K. Rool. While the series took a turn for the worse after DK64, it rebounded after the releases of both DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze.

6. Yoshi: This series is imo underrated. I think it gets a bad rep because a lot of the titles are extremely similar, and they kind of did Yoshi's Island to death, due to the release of Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island. But that's not to say the series as a whole is not enjoyable. Yoshi's Woolly World was one of my favorite Wii U titles, and the upcoming game on the Switch looks promising. And Yoshi's Story is to me a hidden gem of the N64. Oh, and did I forget to mention Yoshi is my favorite video game character?

7. Star Fox: If reputation was everything, this series would be a lot lower. As of right now, the future of this franchises seems to be up in the air due to the failure of Star Fox Zero. This is a shame, because when done right, Star Fox games are a blast. Just look at Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Adventures. Both entries not only showed off the unique gameplay the series has, but also the beloved characters that exist in the Star Fox universe. If the series does get another title, it's gotta be a hit, or sadly it might be the end of Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy, and the rest of Star Fox's adventures.

8. Punch-Out!!: Sometimes the simplest of ideas can be the best ones. Punch Out is quite straight forward in the sense that it is a boxing game created in a time when boxing was quite prominent. While I haven't play much of the series, I did get the chance to beat Punch-Out!! Wii and I thoroughly enjoyed what I did play. All of the boxers have great personalities that are really easy to connect to. Overall the series takes a simple concept and turns it into something that feels quite special. It would be higher but as I said I haven't played much because there's only three games in the series.

9. Pac-Man: Nothing against the series, it's just that... it's Pac-Man! It's super fun, super iconic, and super simple. There's not much to it. It's kind of like having to rank Pong or Frogger. They're fun games that were a huge part of the genre's boom, but it's hard to compare them to the likes of Mario, Donkey Kong, and The Legend of Zelda. That said, I've played more of this series than most, with Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man VS, Pac-Land, Pac-Man World, and Pac-Mania.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright. I'll give it a shot.
  1. :ultlink:&:ultsamus:: I legitimately could not decide on which series I preferred more between Legend of Zelda and Metroid; so I tied them both for first place. And I think it's fitting. If you had to ask me what my go to gaming series were beside Smash, my answer would be one of these two. First you have Zelda which has amazing exploration in a medieval fantasy world as Link goes on quests of epic proportions to save the land of Hyrule from the forces of evil. And then you have Metroid, which chronicles the tales of Samus Aran as she fights the alien species known as Metroids, brutal space pirates, and all sorts of other dangers to save the galaxy. But both series feature memorable stories, amazing gameplay, absolutely godlike music, and two of the best video game protagonists in the history of the video game industry. Call it exaggeration if you must, but I love these two series. Favorite Zelda games include: Breath of The Wild, Majora's Mask, and A Link Between Worlds, and Favorite Metroid games include: Prime, Super Metroid, and Samus Returns.
  2. :ultsnake:: Oh Metal Gear. The stealth series that has cemented itself as a gaming legend. And it's not hard to see why. From thrilling stories, to expertly stealthy gameplay (or inexpertly if your like me), and the absolutely memorable cast of characters, Metal Gear Solid had me hooked the moment I finished MGS1. And what a thrill ride Metal Gear Solid was. Absolutely outstanding series by Kojima, and more than worthy of the iconic status it gets. Favorite Metal Gear Solid games include: Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid.
  3. :ultsimon:: Wether it be the old school side scrolling action platforming of the older titles or the later, much more Metroidvana styled games, Castlevania is a gaming gem. The gameplay was fun in all of the ones I've played, and while some of the entries in the series haven't particularity been noteworthy for me (*cough*Dawn of Sorrow*cough*), I still love the series nonetheless. If you had to ask me what kind of Castlevania game I prefer, I'd say the Metroidvana ones, but some of the old school platfromers shouldn't be slept on either. Favorite Casltevania games include: Aria of Sorrow, Super Castlevania IV, and Portrait of Ruin.
  4. :ultbayonetta:: Despite her infamy in the Smash community, Bayonetta still remains one of my favorite action series to date. Rivaled only by Devil May Cry, Bayonetta is home to some of the most off the wall, crazy as all hell, absolutle kickass action, and I love it. I love how amazing the combat is. Bayonetta herself is also awesome, and is personally my second favorite female video game character. Favorite Bayonetta games include: Both of them! Both Bayonetta games are freaking amazing!
  5. :ultshulk:: Out of the three big JRPG series owned by Nintendo, Xenoblade Chronicles gets my vote as my favorite. While some may not agree, I for one love the massive overworlds of the seires and the MMO like combat. Xenoblade always brought with it a sense of scale I never really felt in any other JRPG series. It also helps that the environments of the games are absolutely beautiful. And the gameplay I felt was neat too, having to coordinate with your party and use the postions of your characters in battle I felt was a nice touch. The stories are somewhat of a mix bag, and we mainly have Xenoblade Chronicles X to thank for that, but if you can get past that, then I feel you will find a really solid series of JRPGS. Favorite Xenoblade games include: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles.
  6. :ultmegaman:: Admittedly a recent inclustion, but one I feel is deserved. Mega Man so far has been a very fun series of action platforming that has kept me on my toes to say the least. Despite the challenge some entries brought, I overall enjoyed the Blue Bomber's titles, especially the X series of games. It's not quite up there in the top 5 yet IMO, but I have a feeling it might just reach that level. Favorite Mega Man games include: Mega Man X, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3.
  7. :ultpikachu:: Pokemon and I have a weird history. The main series of games, to me at least, have always felt...safe, to use a word. They never felt like they did anything interesting with the settings or the gameplay to me. You could argue Gen V's plot and Mega Evolution/Z Moves respectively, but no matter how many times I go back and play the main series games, I just cam never really enjoy them. Which is kinda weird to me, because the spinoff titles, especially the Mystery Dungeon titles, have always been a favorite of mine. Who knows? Mabye Gen 8 might bring some interesting to the table, but until then, Pokemon remains here a #7. Favorite Pokemon titles include: Mystery Dungeon: Explorer of Sky, Super Mystery Dungeon, and XD: Gale of Darkness.
  8. :ultmarth:: Well, I don't know what else to say, other then Fire Emblem has yet to genuinely impress me. I've often wondered why I don't like Fire Emblem too much, and I think my biggest gripe with some of the entries I've played in the series comes from a narrative perspective. Some Fire Emblem stories are just bad to bluntly put, and the characters of the stories only make the narritive issues worse for me. As for gameplay, well, I like the concept of Fire Emblem's gameplay, and it definietly is interesting, but like the stories, gameplay in FE is a mixed bag. Some games have great gameplay (Raidant Dawn and Conquest) and some have some...not so great gameplay (Awakening and Birthright). I don't necessarily hate Fire Emblem, in fact I liked Ike's games quite a bit, but sometimes whenever I look back at this series, I can't help but feel it can always do better. Favorite Fire Emblem games include: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.
And, that's pretty much it.
EDIT: Changed my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

keleyeemoh

Smash Apprentice
1) :ultpikachu:
2) :ultmario:
3) :ultsonic:
4) :ultlink:
5) :ultvillager:
6) :ultfox:
7) :ultkirby:
8) :ultwario:
9) :ultyoshi:
10) :ultinkling:
11) :ultdk:
12) :ultwiifittrainer:
13) :ultmiifighters:

And that's all I've played.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
1. :ultmarth:
2. :ultmario: (Paper Mario)
3. :ultpikachu: (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
4. :ultvillager:
5. :ultness:
6. :ultinkling:
7. :ultyoshi:
8. :ultsamus:
9. :ultwario: (WarioLand)
10. :ultsonic:

StormC

Smash Hero
1. :ultmario:
2. :ultpikachu:
3. :ultmegaman:
4. :ultdk:
5. :ultlink:
6. :ultkirby:
7. :ultsnake:
8. :ultsonic:
9. :ultwario:
10. :ultness:

I'd put Final Fantasy between Metal Gear and Sonic, but I dunno if playing 3 games from that series is enough to rank it.

I think the only other series where I've beaten more than one game is Castlevania, but it's a bit too new to me to rank as highly as these.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. :ultsamus:
2. :ultpikachu:
3. :ultlink:
4. :ultmario:
5. :ultkirby:
6. :ultness:
7. :ultmegaman:
8. :ultmarth:
9. :ultfalcon:
10. :ultdk:
11. :ultwario:
12. :ultyoshi:
13. :ultryu:
14. :ultsonic:
15. :ultfox:

I excluded series I've not played enough of to get a clear view of the franchise's overall quality, which include the likes of Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Castlevania and more. I don't actually think any of these series are straight up bad, at worst they're either decent, just not for me, or have a few bad games that weigh down the great ones.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
1. :ultlink:*
2. :ultmario:
3. :ultsnake:*
4. :ultfalcon:
5. :ultmewtwo:
6. :ultsamus:*
7. :ultchrom:*
8. :ultsonic:
9. :ultryu:
10. :ultsimon:*
11. :ultkirby:
12. :ultbayonetta:
13. :ultinkling:
14. :ultdk:

All of these are fantastic franchises. Those with an * are franchises that I got into because of Smash.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
1.:ultmario:
2.:ultsonic:
3.:ultpikachu:
4.:ultlink:
5.:ultmarth:
6.:ultcloud:
7.:ultdk:
8.:ultfox:
9.:ultmegaman:
10.:ultolimar:
11.:ultshulk:
12.:ultpacman:
13. :ultwario:
14. :ultryu:

That seems right.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
General
1. Mario
2. Pokemon
3. Final Fantasy
4. Zelda
5. Sonic
6. Kirby
7. Metal Gear
8. Fire Emblem
9. Street Fighter
10. Donkey Kong
11. Mega-Man
12. Metroid
13. Animal Crossing
14. Castlevania
15. Splatoon
16. Xenoblade
17. Bayonetta
18. Earthbound/Mother
19. Pikmin
20. Wario
21. Yoshi
22. Star Fox
23. Pac-Man
24. F-Zero
25. Punch-Out
26. Kid Icarus

Personal Opinion
1. Fire Emblem
2. Zelda
3. Splatoon
4. Animal Crossing
5. Mario
6. Sonic
7. Street Fighter
8. Metal Gear
9. F-Zero
10. Kid Icarus
11. Kirby
12. Yoshi
13. Metroid
14. Donkey Kong
15. Pokemon
16. Mega-Man
17. Punch-Out
18. Castlevania
19. Star Fox
20. Pac-Man
Not played enough, in order of general interest
21. Xenoblade
22. Bayonetta
23. Pikmin
24. Wario
25. Final Fantasy
26. Earthbound/Mother

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Ranking them according to my overall enjoyment of each series and how willing I'd be to play a new game from that series if a new title was announced.

1. :ultlink:
2. :ultsnake:
3. :ultcloud:
4.:ultpikachu:
5. :ultmarth:
6. :ultshulk:
7. :ultinkling:
8.:ultmario:
9. :ultkirby:
10. :ultmegaman:
11. :ultfox:
12. :ultryu:
13. :ultsamus:
14.:ultdk:
15.:ultsonic:
16. :ultfalcon: (only because I suck at it)
17. :ulticeclimbers:

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
  1. Mario
  2. Pokemon
  3. Zelda
  4. Final Fantasy
  5. Kirby
  6. Metal Gear
  7. Mega Man
  8. Donkey Kong
  9. Fire Emblem
  10. Metroid
  11. Castlevania
  12. Bayonetta
  13. Yoshi
  14. Street Fighter
  15. Punch Out
  16. Pikmin
  17. Splatoon
  18. Earthbound/Mother
  19. Xenoblade
  20. Wario
  21. Kid Icarus
  22. Game&Watch
  23. Pac Man
  24. Animal Crossing
  25. Sonic
  26. Star Fox
  27. F-Zero
  28. Duck Hunt
  29. Ice Climber
Unranked due to never having played: Wii fit, Gyromite

Also is Dr. Mario a franchise? The Smash bros website does not consider it one so I guess not. If it did It'd be under F-Zero for me.

Narigo1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-2763-4068
1.:ultcloud:
2.:ultness::ultlucas:
3.:ultsnake:
4.:ultlink:
5.:ultmario:
6.:ultdk:
7.:ultpikachu:
8.:ultsamus:
9.:ultshulk:
10.:ultmarth:
11.:ultfalcon:
12.:ultbayonetta:
13.:ultfox:
14;:ultsonic:(i play only the 2d ones)
15.:ultlittlemac:
16.:ultryu:
17.:ultyoshi:
18.:ultmegaman:
19.:ultkirby:
20.:ultpacman:
21.:ultduckhunt:
22.:ultolimar:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
1. Donkey Kong (my favorite Nintendo series)- DKC2 and Tropical Freeze are the pinnacle of the 2D platform genre IMO. I love DKC as well for what it did for Nintendo during the SNES and basically saving Nintendo's ass from losing the "console wars" to SEGA. DKCR is okay...not terrible but not great but sure as a hell a lot better than any NSMB game... DK64 was ambitious but hasn't aged that well unfortunately. Still adore the game though. Jungle Beat is a very underrated game that more people should've checked out (though kinda glad they didn't or else we probably wouldn't have gotten Retro's Country series)

2. Mario - Basically every single Mario game is a good time from start to finish. Yeah the New Super Mario Bros. series is repetitive and played out. In fact I'd dare say they are some of the blandest Nintendo games I've ever played but boy are Mario's 3D outings like Galaxy, 64, and Galaxy 2 are fantastic. 3D World IMO is okay I think I enjoyed 3D Land more. Sunshine hasn't aged well and people who say is fantastic are looking at it through rose tinted nostalgia goggles IMO. Which finally leads me to Odyssey the most OVERRATED Mario/Nintendo game to date. Game is a CHORE to get through once you get 500 moons and beat Darker Side of the moon. Of course Super Mario World, SMB3, and the original SMB are all classics/masterpieces.

3. Star Fox - Yes Star Fox is my 3rd favorite Nintendo franchise. While yes Command and Zero both tank the series reputation for good titles I still adore the series/world/characters and can't wait to try out Starlink which is basically what a new Star Fox game in 2018 SHOULD be and what Zero SHOULD'VE been. I think Assault is very underrated and I think Adventures is a good game just not a good Star Fox game. 64 (3D) is still a classic/masterpiece that every Nintendo fan should experience at least once. Never played 2 as I didn't buy an SNES classic and the first Star Fox was revolutionary for it's time but the actual game has aged like a dog turd in the sun IMO.

4. The Legend of Zelda - Fantastic series if I was rating these by overall quality. Zelda no doubt would be #1 or 2 (switching between Mario). But I'm going by personal enjoyment and while I like the series I don't LOVE it like every Nintendo fan seems to. I recognize that the games are well made and see why the games get the critical acclaim they do but for me the only Zelda games I could REALLY get into were Breath of the Wild, Majora's Mask (specifically the 3DS version), and Twilight Princess. I enjoyed what I played of Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, and ALTTP but never felt compelled to finish them. Skyward Sword I completely skipped over. Phantom Hourglass is trash. Never played Spirit Tracks. A Link Between Worlds I found kinda boring, Minish Cap I tried but didn't get far the game just wasn't clicking with me. Triforce Heroes was "meh" I didn't have anyone to play with so I mostly did single player and anyone who has played that game knows that is NOT the way to play it.

5. Punch-Out!! - I love this series it only has 3 games in it's series but every game is fantastic. The humor is great, the characters are wacky and great, the gameplay is REALLY fun. I seriously hope once NLG finishes Luigi's Mansion 3 they make another Punch-Out for Switch with all new boxers/competitors.

6. Splatoon - I love Splatoon both games are fantastic. IMO it's the most creative and fun new IP Nintendo has created in years. The world, gameplay, characters, and lore are fantastic. Inklings fit right in with Nintendo's other cast of characters so much that I feel Inklings could've been around in the 90's and they wouldn't look out of place next to Mario, DK, Yoshi, etc.

7. Animal Crossing - I only played City Folk and New Leaf but I enjoyed them both. While I had a great deal of fun with both games I'd be lying and say I don't grow tired of playing it rather quickly compared to most others who continue to play for YEARS after a new game is released, where as I play them for about 3-4 months then grow tired of it and rarely go back to it. Though that 3-4 months is a pretty good time.

8. F-Zero - I like arcadey racers and F-Zero is a fast paced futuristic arcadey racer. I never played GX but I LOVE X. The music in this series is phenomenal. The first F-Zero is okay not terrible but hasn't aged THAT well. I can still have fun with it in short bursts. Maximum Velocity I found too similar to the original and dropped it pretty quickly. Never played GP Legend (even though I think I bought it on Wii U VC back in the day).

9. Metroid - This could actually be #6, 7, or 8 depending on which game I'm playing. If it's Super, Prime 3, Other M then it's #6 as those are my favorites in the series. I like Prime though I get lost too easily in the game, wonder around for minutes until I get bored and turn on something else. I recognize how good of a game it is like how well made it is but it isn't for me. Same with Prime 2 (but to an even worse extent). The original Metroid is okay I guess never could get into it. Never played Prime Hunters, Return of Samus, Zero Mission, Samus Returns, or Federation Force so can't speak on them. I've played a little bit of Fusion liked what I played but for some reason stopped and never went back to it even though I enjoyed what I've played of it. I should go back and finish that game some time.

10. Sonic - I know I'm going by my favorite series instead of quality and while Sonic is my 3rd favorite franchise of all time, I gotta take the nostalgia goggles off for this one because he has had too many **** games to justify him being any higher. The only TRULY good Sonic games are Sonic 2, 3&K, Mania, and Generations. That's a whopping 4 games out of how many in his series at this point. Sonic has a bunch of either complete dumpster fires or average ones. I'll start with the ones I think most can consider "average" Heroes, Colors (even if I personally think this game is trash), Adventure, Adventure 2, Unleashed, Sonic CD, Sonic 4 Episode 2, and Sonic 1. Dumpster fires include IMO Lost World, Shadow, Sonic 06, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Forces, Chronicles, Boom: Rise of Lyric, Sonic 4: Episode 1. Trust me I've played them ALL I grew up on Sonic, Mario, and DK those were the only series I would play. Hell a lot of these I loved growing up but taking off the nostalgia goggles most of these are either downright mediocre or downright terrible. But here I am the sucker continually giving SEGA money for mediocrity in return (minus Mania and Generations). Can't wait to get Team Sonic Racing!

I'm gonna cut off here as I don't feel like ranking the rest.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
1.:ultmario:
I want to be clear here. I am talking mostly about the platformers and RPGs. I don't really care about most of the spinoffs except for a handful, and you can bet those spinoffs aren't the ones that see a release every console generation. When I pick up a Mario game I know I'm going to be engaged enough to play it from start to finish and have a mostly good time doing so. I can't say the same thing for other series. Even the games I'm not that impressed by like Odyssey, Sunshine, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 still offer a fun time that keep me playing until the last level. I think the only exception to this is Lost Levels, but who counts that anyways?

2.:ultdk:
Similar to Mario. I don't care about the spinoffs ( except for Diddy Kong Racing ) The only thing that puts it lower is that the difficulty can sometimes get frustrating, But it's still satisfying to overcome. I think the only main series Donkey Kong game I'm not in love with is Donkey Kong 64.

3. :ultinkling:
There's only two games, but holy cow are they amazing.

4. :ultkirby:
Similar to Mario, I don't care about the spinoffs. I'll admit that I'm behind on the latest platformers though. But Kirby is practically a seal of quality.

5.:ultlink:
There's been a few Zelda games that kind of miss the mark for me like the DS games, Skyward Sword, Oracle of Ages, and the Multiplayer games, and it can be a bit of a mixed bag at times, but when the games do it right, they really do it right. I usually declare Zelda my favorite series, but I'm trying to be real with myself, I know there's a good chunk of the games I don't like, and in the games that I do like there's some lulls in the fun.

6.:ultlittlemac:
If I can be real here, I can't beat the NES and SNES games. But despite that they still somehow manage to be extremely fun for me. The wii title is a lot more my speed though it gets frustrating again in the Title Defense mode. But still not anything I can't beat... Arcade game is pretty crap though.

7.:ultsamus:
They're pretty great. Very atmospheric. The Metroidvania genre isn't really my favorite though. I don't like being lost for too long and needing to backtrack too much. But it's still a good enough game that I enjoy the series.

8.:ultyoshi:
Yoshi's Island easily outshines any Mario platformer.... unfortunately that's where the quality stops for Yoshi. The sequels range from okay to crap.

9. :ultsonic:
When Sonic hits his his highs, boy howdy does he hit them. If Sonic was just the original trilogy, he'd probably top at number 1 on this list. But he's not. So I have to look more closely at the series... There actually is a lot of quality outside the Genesis trilogy, and i'm not just talking about Colors and Generations. I love the Adventure games, the Advance games, even Shadow wasn't that bad... however, when Sonic hits his lows, he unfortunately hits them just as hard as he does his highs. But it's still a franchise that's probably in my top 5... at the moment though? I'm not that invested in the games. I care more about the comic books these days.

10.:ultfox:
Star Fox is such a mixed bag. 64 is golden. Assault and Adventures are okay. I'm sure the first game would be great if it had a 60fps re-release. But Zero, Command, and 2 are trash imo. I don't have a lot of hope for the future of the series, I don't want another 64, I'd rather they keep going from Assault, make the good stuff better and refine the on foot stuff.

11.:ultness:
Pretty good RPGs... the first one is a little rough though. And if there was a theoretical Mother 4, the battle system could use an overhaul, because imo, standard no frills turn based JRPGs should probably go the way of the dodo. But it's really about the experience traveling around the game world and interacting with the characters than it is about the engaging battles. But, no reason you can't have both right?

12.:ultwario:
Honestly Wario would rank higher if it was just Wario Ware. I'm not a big fan of Wario Land. I'm not a fan of the treasure hunting and exploring in a 2D game, but the straighforward games feel too slow to me, except maybe WL2. The Wario Ware series however is dripping with fun.

13.:ultsnake:
Tactical Espionage Action. I love the story and characters of this series, even if it got a little hard to follow at times. I don't care much for the 2D titles or the 4th and 5th games though.

14.:ultgnw:
There's not a lot to say about these games... they're good time killers if you don't have a lot of time to kill. I someday hope they make an ultimate Game & Watch Gallery with all the games from across the series, plus some games that never got the "modern" treatment.

15.:ultolimar:
I never got to play Pikmin 2. They're good games. I think they're a little overhyped though.

16. :ultmegaman:
Quality games. But they get a little too hard for me.

18.:ultfalcon:
High speed high stakes racing. What more could you want? My only issue is that it gets a little too difficult to avoid hazards and falling off the road in later tracks. And the story mode in GX was just too dang hard.

19.:ultisabelle:
Animal Crossing is fine, But it's gotten really samey, and somehow dialogue tends to repeat itself WAY more than it did on the Gamecube. I seriously hope the Switch game has a huge overhaul, otherwise I might not be into it.

20. :ultpikachu:
I feel similarly to the way I did with Animal Crossing. The games are just too samey and they add a bunch of crap I don't care about to each game, remove the stuff I do care about, and all the major improvements feel like baby steps that should have been implimented a few generations prior. Then the stories of each game are rarely engaging. NPCs all have very boring dialogue that essentially boils down to thinly veiled tutorials and "haha my pokemon is cute", and all the major characters are so boring and overly friendly nowdays. And the villains all seem the same. I don't have a lot of hope for it to improve either. The pokemon series is too successful for it's own good.

21, :ultpit:
I LOVE the first game. Second game suffers from the small screen, and some terrible bosses. I couldn't finish it. Then Uprising is a fine game, but it's not really what I wanted from the series. Feels more like Star Fox if Star Fox was a shonen anime with Harem undertones. That's not what hurts it the most, what really hurts it is the touch based controls.

22.:ultsimon:
If I can be real, I don't care at all about any of the games beyond the first and fourth one. Castlevania 3 is too hard for me, and I don't like Metroidvanias very much. Especially the ones that are... not Metroid.

23.:ultduckhunt:
It's fine... I don't really like playing it on actual hardware since the light gun can be finicky. But I can play it on the Wii with an aiming retical, and it's a decent time killer that way.

24.:ultrob:
Gyromite is okay I guess, though I played it without ROB via a romhack. Stackup, I have not played... but it looks like trash.

25. :ulticeclimbers:
I like the idea behind the games, I like the characters... but this game sucks... It needs better physics and mechanics really badly.

Anything else not listed here, I have no opinion on.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Your boy Mogisthelioma here:

(I'm only doing Nintendo series because my opinions on 3rd parties are incredibly subjective)

1.:ultmario:Nintendo's Brain child. Out of the question
2.:ultpikachu:: One of the most marketed video game Ip's in history, second to Mario
3.:ultlink:: A gem and inspiration for developers to come, launched several Nintendo consoles
4.:ultkirby:: One of Nintendo's oldest series from "The good 'ol days" that is still incredibly relevant and popular todday
5. :ultsamus: (and :ultsimon: for that matter, but they're Konami): Ever heard of the term "Metroid-Vania?"
6. :ultdk:: Again, a huge gaming icon and one of Nintendo's best
7. :ultinkling:: Shot itself into massive success immediately
8.:ultvillager:: Can't deny, it's growing more popular and sells like hot cakes.
9. :ultpit:: Got a reboot that was surprisingly popular. Likely to get another one.
10. :ultyoshi:: Another 2D platformer, but again is a major icon.
11. :ultness:: Contrary to uneducated belief, Earthbound was never discontinued out of popularity, the story concluded itself and there was no need for another game. Earthbound/Mother are amazing games with still a large fanbase to date.
12. :ultfox:: One of the most beloved gaming series (and memes) of all time, but has seen less effort in recent years
13.:ultwario:: Uh.....OK
14. :ultwiifittrainer:: Yikes
15. And finally, last and certainly least, :ultmarth:: (Peeks into Intelligent's development): GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE! "Uh..Aurora-I mean, recycling the same material for almost 30 years despite growing demand for some sort of a change, and selling poorly up until the last 6 years...

And releasing a $40 game with $45 worth of DLC." (That's arguably worse than EA)

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
1. :ultpikachu:
2. :ultkirby:
3. :ultmario:
4. :ultness::ultlucas:
5. :ultpit:
6. :ultdk:(DKC series)
7. :ultsamus:
8. :ultwario:
9. :ultbayonetta:
10.:ultzelda:

Honorable mentions go to Yoshi’s Island (for the first game mainly, but DS isn’t bad), Street Fighter, Splatoon, and Sonic.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
In terms of best-selling game franchises, the top three are as follows.

:ultmario:
:ultpokemontrainer:
:ultwiifittrainer:

I'm not quite sure how a series like Super Mario became popular when the formula has pretty much been the same. Play as Mario. Defeat Bowser. Save Princess Peach. I'm not sure what to say about Pokémon. I guess people need their RPG fix. As for the Wii series, something tells me part of its best-selling aspect came from being part of bundles. I care for none of these franchises.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In terms of best-selling game franchises, the top three are as follows.

:ultmario:
:ultpokemontrainer:
:ultwiifittrainer:

I'm not quite sure how a series like Super Mario became popular when the formula has pretty much been the same. Play as Mario. Defeat Bowser. Save Princess Peach. I'm not sure what to say about Pokémon. I guess people need their RPG fix. As for the Wii series, something tells me part of its best-selling aspect came from being part of bundles. I care for none of these franchises.
Because Mario games have been good, and it's the beauty of simplicity. Rather than throwing the player around with a changing story, Super Mario sets the status quo and then allows the players to continue on their merry way themselves.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Because Mario games have been good, and it's the beauty of simplicity. Rather than throwing the player around with a changing story, Super Mario sets the status quo and then allows the players to continue on their merry way themselves.
Simple games for simple people, I guess. That's pretty bland.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You're taking me out of context. NO ONE likes a game that's too complicated. Super Mario games have always been about simple DESIGN. That doesn't mean they didn't spend time developing the levels, creating amazing soundtracks, or finding millions of ways to entertain the players like never before. This is like saying that Odyssey is just as good as the very original Mario because it's just Mario saving a princess from Bowser, and I think we can all agree there are several layers of change that you looked over in regards to Super Mario's rise to success.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You're taking me out of context.
Then be forthright.

NO ONE likes a game that's too complicated.
This is false, due to the exaggeration "No one".

Super Mario games have always been about simple DESIGN.
"Design" being?

That doesn't mean they didn't spend time developing the levels, creating amazing soundtracks, or finding millions of ways to entertain the players like never before.
I didn't say developers didn't spend time developing levels. "Amazing" is subjective, as is most music. You're also exaggerating again by using "millions".

This is like saying that Odyssey is just as good as the very original Mario because it's just Mario saving a princess from Bowser, and I think we can all agree there are several layers of change that you looked over in regards to Super Mario's rise to success.
In terms of formula, yep. Pretty simple. Just prettied up.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Well depending on how you rank them peoples lists could end up very different. I'm just going by my favorite games. If I did it by quantity of games in the franchise that I like the list would look different.

1. Donkey Kong, because of Donkey Kong Country 2.
2. Yoshi, because of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
3. Sonic, because of Sonic Adventure 2
3. Super Mario, because of Super Mario Sunshine
5. Kirby because of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
6. Pikmin because of Pikmin
7. F Zero because of F Zero X
8. Street Fighter (I'm including it because of Capcom vs. SNK 2 & Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which play similar and feature Ryu.)
9. Pac-Man
10. Duck Hunt

Everything else I either haven't played or isn't significant enough for me to rank.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Then be forthright.
*Facepalms*
This is false, due to the exaggeration "No one".
Correction: Overcomplicated. Find me the last time someone cheered and whooped at the sight of a game with a story as complex as the Bible told in its entirety by someone speaking a language they made up in third grade. Super Mario games don't have to tell that big of a story or even match its own canon to be beautiful.
"Design" being?
The idea of an incentive, a means of reaching that goal, and a reward. Bowser captured Peach, go on a huge adventure and fight bosses/collect things to save her, get a kiss or a cake or something. But it's the gameplay that counts, not the story.
I didn't say developers didn't spend time developing levels. "Amazing" is subjective, as is most music. You're also exaggerating again by using "millions".
Does it matter that I said "millions?" Does every time I try to make a point without sounding like someone who knows literally everything make me less credible? So far Super Mario games have found many ways of re-imagining gameplay.
In terms of formula, yep. Pretty simple. Just prettied up.
Like I said: No one plays Super Mario expecting to see a story like Harry Potter. Ever heard the saying, "Life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey."? Super Mario is about the gameplay, not the design. That's why it's the world's most popular.

This entire thing is completely subjective and I'm not going to respond to further arguments.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Correction: Overcomplicated Find me the last time someone cheered and whooped at the sight of a game with a story as complex as the Bible told in its entirety by someone speaking a language they made up in third grade.
What are you babbling about? Not everyone here is a Christian. Please keep religion out of this.

Super Mario games don't have to tell that big of a story or even match its own canon to be beautiful.
Beauty is subjective. I'm not sure why you're talking about matching canon.

The idea of an incentive, a means of reaching that goal, and a reward. Bowser captured Peach, go on a huge adventure and fight bosses/collect things to save her, get a kiss or a cake or something. But it's the gameplay that counts, not the story.
Okay. So once again, simple games for simple people.

Does it matter that I said "millions?" Does every time I try to make a point without sounding like someone who knows literally everything make me less credible? So far Super Mario games have found many ways of re-imagining gameplay.
Like I said: No one plays Super Mario expecting to see a story like Harry Potter. Ever heard the saying, "Life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey."? Super Mario is about the gameplay, not the design. That's why it's the world's most popular.
I'd appreciate it if you didn't exaggerate. It's not consistent with objectivity. I think you're on the money when it comes to incentive. Release of dopamine. For such complex organisms, humans are pretty simple.

StormC

Smash Hero
What?

People don't play the Mario games for their story. They play them for their design, which are some of the most universally well designed games ever made. They have a low enough skill ceiling to be enjoyable by people who are starting their very first video game but have enough to do in them to entertain people who have been playing video games for decades. The average player might enjoy just getting to the final boss, but the more hardcore fans will find their challenge in getting 100%. They embody everything that has made Nintendo so successful and are easily some of the most influential games ever made.

I'm honestly sort of baffled that you could write off the Mario series as "simple games for simple people." I assume if you're on any kind of internet forum you intrinsically understand why the series has time and time again revolutionized the industry. Not saying you have to like the games, but the series functions perfectly as both a gateway into the hobby and a consistent fixture for those looking for quality platformers.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Ranked by a mixture of gaming importance and personal pleasure:

1. :ultmario:/ :ultyoshi:

Couldn't be anywhere but the top. Time and time again, the Mario flagship has shown the world how to have fun through lightheartedness, and a pleasant mixture of diversity and simplicity. Of course, as with any large conglomerate of concept, some have either aged poorly or were never too great from the start. But that chubby, no-longer-a-plumber sure knows how to make us have fun.

2. :ultdk:

Maybe a controversial call putting DK up here, as I did consider lumping him with Mario like I did Yoshi...but he provides games that are iconic and wholely seperate from the adventures of the above two. When have you ever seen Yoshi in a Donkey Kong game versus a Mario one? Or Donkey Kong in a mario game? What...that one time they were both babies in a Yoshi game? I digress. Not as much diversity in Donkey Kong's history, but between masterpieces like Donkey Kong Country and the heavily flawed-but-charming DK64, this Kong is still a barrel of laughs all the way through.

3. :ultpikachu:

Pokemon doesn't hold me over the way it used to, but its importance to the gaming world at large is prominent...and still manages to convince me to buy the main series games...to mixed results. Honestly, I kinda wanna put it lower.

4. :ultsamus:

Look, I'ma say it: I like the Prime series more than the non-Prime. A great storyline within a first-person atmospheric shooter, interacting with alien constructs and puzzles? I like it, and I want Prime 4 information soon. Not to say I dislike the classic side-scroller formulas, as I'm still anticipating the consequences of Samus' actions Post-Fusions. The world of the franchise is rich in lore and curiosities, and its games are historically nuanced in gameplay without being needlessly complex (a lot like Mario, and Nintendo games in general, in that regard). Metroid, despite more controversial outings in the modern day, and an otherwise not-too-impressive sales records, earns it a strong place in gaming.

5. :ultyounglink:

I'm an absolute madman for putting Metroid over Zelda...but, honestly? While Zelda is more well-known, and marketable, and beloved, and referenced (even rivalling the likes of Mario and Pokemon)...its older games tend to age poorer than those in the Metroid franchise. Personally, I could pick up the first two games of the Metroid series and have a grand old time...not so much the Legend of Zelda. In general, Metroidd games hold their own while The Legend of Zelda...I dunno...you play Four Swords Adventures lately, or just Ocarina of Time again?

Generally speaking, Zelda games tend to be bundled into the holy trinity of Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (they tend to be bundled), and Wind Waker. Funny, considering each represents a different timeline.

(In no particular order)
X. :ultryu:

I don't like most fighting games. But I do recognize Street Fighter's significance to the concept of competitive gaming and to gaming at large.

X. :ultkirby:

Kirby is consistently nice. That is all.

X. :ultfox:

Look, man, There's not that many Star Fox games. Either you're replaying some variant of Star Fox/64/Zero, or you're trying a failed attempt at making the series new...at least while progressing the story. I still think Assault is the best of those (Oh, if only it had more polish and not bad voice acting), since it gave us complexity to the Star Wolf team, solidified Krystal as a character (to mixed results), and gave us some wicked cool music. Seriously, Panther is the best thing to ever happen to Star Wolf, I swear he wrote their new theme song.

X. :ultvillager:

Animal Crossing has been consistently the same. That is, to say, it is essentially the same game, but constantly better with each iteration. No grand story, simple gameplay, and just a way to relax when you're tired of saving the world.

X. :ultroy:

I'm, personally, upset with the state of Post-Awakening Fire Emblem, and suspicious of the upcoming Switch game...but Fire Emblem has turned itself around from a neglected, poor-selling, end-of-its-lifespan, in-depth strategy game into one of the most loved relationship simulators on the market. Commendable, if not personally abhorrent.

X. :ultmegaman:/:ultsonic:/:ultpacman:

These three are like high-speed roller coasters: a lot of up-and-downs...sometimes its just fun to watch rather than get on, though. That all said, They're all classic contenders, Megaman far more so. I might have even tied them at the bottom of the list, but they've both had some...questionable outings in their attempts to appeal to their audiences, that have often gone against what made said audience love their games in the first place.

X. :ultrob:/:ultgnw:/:ulticeclimbers:/:ultduckhunt:

Collectively, they represent Nintendo's "retro" history, with some of them having memetic relevance (Look at you, dog.) to this very day.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just top five:
  1. :ultsonic: Fight me.
  2. :ultpikachu: There is a reason it's big as it is.
  3. :ultpit: Mostly because of one game but what a game.
  4. :ultbayonetta: Self-explanatory.
  5. A tie between :ultkirby: and :ultshulk:, really.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
1. :ultpokemontrainer:
Being the series that (at least according to my mom) taught me how to read, the series that got me into video games, and the fact that the only memories of my biological family that I have (let alone give even the slightest hint of a **** about), are all related to Pokemon (or Bionicle) in some way, and a few other important parts of my life that we don't really need to talk about, this is a series that's really close to my heart. I tend to be a bit harsh towards this series (whether it's the RNG in the main series/TCG, my personal disgust towards Pokken, how it's represented in Smash, how a certain very small, very quiet minority of its fanbase ****ing terrifies me tbh, or even how I got burned out on Ultra Moon), but most of that is due to just how highly I consider the main games themselves. I could probably chew you ear off with several paragraphs full of all the random, unimportant anecdotes that have been permanently etched into my memory surrounding this series.
2. :ultsnake:
3. :ultsonic:
4. :ultinkling:
5. :ultkirby:
6. :ultmario:
7. :ultlink:
8. :ultpit:
I remember liking the humor and character designs of Kid Icarus: Uprising, with the rest just there as filler to zen out to while listening to the characters talk to eachother.
9. :ultvillager:
Long before I even owned a Wii. I played a lot of City Folk with an old friend of mine who I'm still in touch with. We stopped playing this game when I got my own copy, because taking turns with our separate characters was infuriating for both of us, to say the least (we were kids at the time).
10. :ultwiifittrainer:
The aforementioned best friend and I also played a lot of WiiSports, WiiPlay, WiiMusic, and WiiParty when I'd come over to his house. Additionally, the idea of using WiiFit to get both of us to exercise was what convinced my Mom to buy me a Wii (which we played once and never touched it again because, come on, it's WiiFit), so there's that, at least.
11. :ultolimar:
Played a bit of Pikmin 1 once. Didn't care for it.
12. :ultfox:
Played a bit of Star Fox 64 once. Didn't care for it.
13. :ultbayonetta:
TBD. :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultsamus::ultsimon:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What?

People don't play the Mario games for their story. They play them for their design, which are some of the most universally well designed games ever made. They have a low enough skill ceiling to be enjoyable by people who are starting their very first video game but have enough to do in them to entertain people who have been playing video games for decades. The average player might enjoy just getting to the final boss, but the more hardcore fans will find their challenge in getting 100%. They embody everything that has made Nintendo so successful and are easily some of the most influential games ever made.

I'm honestly sort of baffled that you could write off the Mario series as "simple games for simple people." I assume if you're on any kind of internet forum you intrinsically understand why the series has time and time again revolutionized the industry. Not saying you have to like the games, but the series functions perfectly as both a gateway into the hobby and a consistent fixture for those looking for quality platformers.
I didn't say anything about a story. Mario games aren't even challenging. Or I don't find them challenging. And Mario isn't the only series that revolutionized the series. Mario honestly isn't that special.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Based on what I’ve played when I started gaming at 5 years old (Mario-Pac-Man is my childhood, Ness-Samus is my teenage to adult years)
:ultmario::ultdk::ultyounglink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultness::ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultcloud::ultmarth::ultsnake::ultsamus:

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
The Sudz Give-a-**** Tier List
Order within tier lists is irrelevant

SS-Tier: :ultsnake::ultsamus:
MGS is my favorite game franchise of all time, and the Metroid franchise (including all but Other M) is my baby.
Faves: Every MGS game; every Metroid game

S-Tier: :ultdk::ultlink::ultkirby:
My childhood jams. Donkey Kong is the absolute **** and LoZ LTTP is one of the greatest games ever made imho. Kirby has a history of fun games and several of my faves but I really need something new and difficult from them to keep up with me.
Faves: Donkey Kong Country 2; LoZ Link to the Past; Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing Mirror

A-Tier: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpikachu:
Super Mario Bros/World are dank. Luigi's Mansion is one of my favorite games of all time. Why is there no Boo assist trophy man...
Pokémon is also very dope
Faves: Super Mario World; Luigi's Mansion; Pokémon Emerald Version

B-Tier: :ultike::ultpacman:
Fire Emblem is v fun, specifically Awakening and Path of Radiance. Most of my earliest video game waifus come from this game.
PEOPLE SLEEPIN ON THIS YELLOW DUDE, PAC-MAN ARRANGEMENT AND THE 3D PAC-MAN WORLD GAMES THO LET'S BE REAL HE IS SSS+ TIER
Faves: Path of Radiance; Pac-Man Arrangement and Pac-Man World 2

Misc: :ultsimon::ultfox::ultvillager::ultryu:
I grew up playing the first Castlevania but I never experienced the rest of the franchise.
I'm not into Star Fox BUT Star Fox Adventures is a game I used to play the hell out of as a kid so it gets a place here. I don't think I enjoy Animal Crossing anymore, which is sad because I used to love it :( I may give the new one a shot anyway in hopes that they change my mind but I think I can't do those kinds of games anymore. Also not into Street Fighter, but I played it when I was younger and always gravitated toward Ryu so...
Faves: Castlevania; Star Fox Adventure; Wild World; I don't even remember which street fighter I played I don't know the difference

Top Bottom