• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rank every fighter by how much you play as them.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
For this tier list, we will rank every fighter from most used to least used. It doesn’t have to be in an exact order. Who are your mains and secondaries and which characters do you actively avoid? Here’s my tier list based on how much I play the fighters.
E83CC509-366D-4F08-B547-901C4E392AF6.jpeg
8127246D-57E6-4C34-A4EA-F84144554606.jpeg
4D828C99-3E1E-4018-AE9C-BB9DA2FD6F21.jpeg

You can make this tier list on the website SSB World, or you can use the icons and group them in the tier you want.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
SSS play way too much tier: :ultyoshi:
SS tier: :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda:
S tier: :ultchrom::ultmario::ultluigi::ultbrawler:(Toad outfit)
A tier: :ultdaisy::ultbowserjr:(:ultludwig:):ultwario:
B tier: :ultpacman::ultisabelle::ultvillager::ultpokemontrainer::ultroy::ultwiifittrainer::ultdk::ultsimon:
C tier: :ultpikachu::ultpiranha::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultshulk::ultsonic::ultridley:
D tier: :ultduckhunt::ultlink::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultwolf::ultryu::ultken::ulttoonlink:
E tier: :ultinkling::ultduckhunt::ultbayonetta::ultkrool::ultdiddy::ultfox::ultlucario::ultike:
F tier::ultmewtwo::ultrobin::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultness::ultpit::ultincineroar:
Tend to avoid if possible tier: :ultcloud::ultmegaman::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultgreninja:
Tends to get ignored tier::ultyounglink::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsheik::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultrob::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultgnw::ultdarkpit::ultcorrin:
Don't currently own tier: :ultjoker:
Avoid at all costs tier: :ultpalutena::ultolimar::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultrosalina::ultdoc::ultlucas:

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
1: Link :ultlink:

2: Ganondorf :ultganondorf:

3: Wario :ultwario:

3.5: :ultlucina:

4: Everyone else.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Spoiler for image itself 'cause these images can take up a lot of screen space
Amount Keeshu played for each character 5 20 2019.png

Going in depth for why I've played this amount for each character for those curious
:ultmetaknight: 233 Meta Knight - Not even including how much I played on quickplay because I only used him, before realizing that for various reasons that quickplay was making me play worse due to exploiting lack of familiarity with Meta Knight (seriously no one plays him). So usually ended up with me annihilating bad players, and being unable to understand what was I was doing wrong against bad players. However I decided to stop with randoms in favor of friends who could say why I was doing bad. Though later I realized it was just 'cause it's hard to concentrate when you get 1-3 hours of sleep and regularly skip days of sleep ha ha. I may have the most matches with Meta Knight but the quality of those matches are horrible because I couldn't even think, much less remember anything. I may try quickplay again. Meta Knight was the first character I tried to main because I hop characters too much, so I forced myself to play nothing but Meta Knight in Smash 4 to get very good with 1 character, and figured I'd use him to get used to Ultimate. In an alternate time line Lucario would have been the one I'd have picked to do this as Meta Knight and Lucario are my 2 "Loyalty Mains".
:ultridley:210 Ridley - Unlike Meta Knight, I don't force myself to play Ridley. I just regularly love to play him because he is fun to play in a competitive setting and in a for fun setting. Also helps that he feels like a bigger Meta Knight to me with some influence from Ganondorf. Even when I get combo'd like crazy it's fine because the tide of a match with Ridley can change incredibly fast due to his crazy damage. Only problem I have with Ridley is that he makes me dislike enemy projectiles. Then if someone has an annoying projectile like isabelle/villager's slingshot, this it's like true hell because good luck avoiding that when you're as BIG as Ridley.
:ultmewtwo:156 Mewtwo - I was trying really hard to get good with Mewtwo because he seems like a character that feels weird at first but will feel smooth and awesome later, sorta like Lucario. I am now decent with Mewtwo, though unfortunately I don't seem to ever get the urge to play him, so he might suffer the same fate as my Smash 4 Lucario who never got touched for the last year or so, but with far fewer matches than Lucario.
:ultlucario:122 Lucario - The other "Loyalty Main" because I love the look, everything about the character, and have a bit of history with the character outside of smash just like Meta Knight. Always shocks me how few battles I have with Lucario since I love playing him so much and he helped me love Ultimate's mechanics faster than other characters (also Lucario feels better in Ultimate..... Minus the change in controlling his UP B from Smash 4 causing many SDs because I keep forgetting about it and I dont have the steadiest hands). Also, while Ike maybe my go-to character for getting me to pay attention to the other player's movements, Lucario is the one that forces me to pay attention to the opponent for long periods of time due to his aura mechanic. Low % means I have to hit more attacks, High % means I have to make sure I never get hit with anything that could lead to me being KO'd so it's always tense unlike any other character in the game. With other characters I tend to get underwhelmed by other players a bit too fast if I start off well, and may panic if I'm too far behind. Playing Lucario for a while can help me focus for long periods of time with other characters because of this.
:ultpichu:116 Pichu - Pichu makes me feel incredibly happy whenever I play them. I love speedy glass cannon characters and Pichu is all about that too. Underdog type characters get my attention too and the only person more underdog than Pichu is Little Mac. So I tried very hard to learn how to play Pichu for a while and it was awesome. However I dont know how much I will play Pichu now for multiple reasons. Having cheese like Lightning loops really kills my love for characters if the cheese is too important to the character's gameplay. I also saw that Pichu is far more complex than I originally thought, and due to my lack of time to play Smash nowadays that can be a problem. Also Pichu is top tier and sometimes argued to be the best character, and for some reason that kills my motivation to get better with characters, just like with Brawl Meta Knight.... Despite me loving Meta Knight for having a reputation for being the toughest opponent in every game he was in for the longest time. Blame it on me handicapping myself to beat people with weird gameplay styles in order to have more of a challenge for the longest time since it made me get better at playing games and pick up new gameplay styles faster instead of just picking whatever was the best. I've just grown to love learning how to love making the best of what you got.
:ultwolf:109 Wolf - Wolf was basically my main in Brawl because I wasn't sure if he'd come back ever like Meta Knight and Lucario would. I love the character (I've only played Star Fox Assault though, I'm a sucker for anti-heroes) and his gameplay. So I was trying to get better with him for a while. However the more I would play him the more I felt like I was getting carried by Wolf being so good. First it was because of how ridiculous his blaster is because I could often use almost only the blaster to deal most of the damage, and just use something else if they get close and it was way too forgiving. I wasn't learning the other parts of the character because I didn't have to. Then I forced myself to never use the blaster so I learned his other moves better, but he just felt so easy and forgiving to use. So it never really felt like my opponents were fighting me, they were fighting wolf. So I kinda stopped playing him to take a break, and then later people saying that he was top tier and was ridiculous didn't help me want to play him more. I might revisit him though, but I don't have the love I once had when I started with him and that's a problem if you want to get better with a character.
:ultrob:80 R.O.B. - I love the character and have a bit of history. Took me a while to get over how weird his moveset was, but now I absolutely using him because I feel like I always have an option to use. Despite almost never playing R.O.B. he has always done incredibly well against anyone I use him again. So I definitely see myself using him more later. I just haven't played him more because I don't love the character as much as the characters up above. Silly reason I know, but motivation is incredibly important in getting you to do boring things like going into training to do things to get better.
:ultganondorf:51 Ganondorf - Strictly for fun. I prefered him in Smash 4 because I had to actually try very hard in Smash 4. However he's still a huge blast to play, and with the better players I've been playing it's kinda good that he's better. He'll never be a main though, I love messing around with him too much.
:ultike:48 Ike - Sometimes for fun, but most of the time Ike is my go-to character to make me focus on watching the opponent because he can't throw out attacks like other characters due to being slow, and he's too simple to really improve overtime so he can't be a main for me.
:ultinkling:44 Inkling - I'm in a Splatoon Discord, I love playing Splatoon, and Inkling has rather fun gameplay. So I have to put in some time to play Inkling. Only thing discouraging me is that they can be rather cheesy sometimes with the things they do, and I don't really care about the character themselves all that much.
:ultjoker:32 Joker - Joker is one of my old usernames when I was a kid. This Joker character being all sneaky, and looking cool makes me really want to play him. Even his gameplay ticks a lot of the boxes for stuff I like in a character. In theory he'd be perfect, but for some reason I just haven't had the urge to play him and I have no idea why. Perhaps it's because I've never playing Persona 5 and don't know a dang thing about him unlike most characters in Smash.
:ultdarksamus::ultsamus:31/25 for total of 56 matches Dark Samus/Samus - Samus + Link were my mains for the longest time in early Smash 4 so they feel fun to use. Also have a Dark Samus main who has Dark Samus in their name on the Splatoon discord that plays Smash frequently and I love the Samus ditto. Mainly just for fun right now because I mainly love Samus in Smash for the gameplay and looking cool. I love the gameplay of most characters in Smash and Samus needs to be a bit cooler to become a main. I also do quite well with Samus already because of playing Samus so much in Smash 4, so I don't feel a huge need to get better with Samus right now. I play Dark Samus normally, but will play Light Suit Samus if I'm fighting him.
:ultlink:30 Link - I learned Smash off of Link so I love playing him. Early Smash 4 I kicked butt with Link, but late Smash 4 I just forgot to play him or something. In Ultimate I need to play with him more to use his bombs since they are so important to his gameplay. Still dont know if I'd play him more than Young Link. Problem with Young Link is that his range is so short that it's hard for me to get used to that, sorta like what happened with Marth after getting his range nerf from Melee to Brawl. If range wasn't a problem Young Link would probably be my go-to Link character no problem because it's Smash 4 Link but faster. I eventually want to get good with Toon Link but everytime I try Toon Link I just don't understand what he has to go for because he plays way too differently from the other Links. Toon Link is one of my worst characters right now. However if I got good with Toon Link, I feel like I'd prefer playing him over the other Links for sure.
:ultsheik:27 Sheik - "Perfect gameplay" and is a Ninja. That's all I need to want to play the heck out of Sheik. I just have been too busy with other characters to play Sheik. However one problem with Sheik is that Joker is competing for my attention for basically the same reasons. It's going to come down to who has better feeling combos at this point, but I may not have the time to play either character to really determine which I prefer. I do not care about Sheik outside of Smash because all Sheik does is come by and blabs for a long time. However it's been a very very long time since I've played Ocarina of time so perhaps revisiting it I may have a new set of lens to view the character and might end up loving them to the point of wanting to main them.
:ultlittlemac:24 (I thought I had way more) Little Mac - Another just for fun character. However there are times when I want to try making him more serious, especially if I've seen Sol play him recently. I just really love seeing a character go from incredible patience, to blistering fast speed. After all that's one of the reasons why I love Meta Knight. The problem with Little Mac is that if you have a few too many matches with being gimped too many times too quickly it can be discouraging. Also while I love the heck out of the Punch out games, I don't really play a character to represent games, and Little Mac is rather boring as a character. There's only one reason why I love Little Mac's character, he's like the personification of an underdog character. Sometimes you don't need many reasons to love a character.
:ultswordfighter:22 Mii Swordfighter - All about that gameplay and it feels awesome.... at least in Smash 4. They feel incredibly slow in Ultimate, and they lost my favorite skin, the Rathalos armor. At least I can play them online now. Unfortunately people I play with regularly hate them immensely, and there's too many characters I love playing instead. I might not get around to playing them more because there's more to a character than just gameplay, because if you love them for their gameplay you'll have troubles with motivation, especially if that gameplay changes because of some patch.
:ultroy:19 Roy - I don't know anything about the Fire Emblem games (other than the perma death mechanic intrigues me because I'm all about mechanics that make you care about characters). So it's mainly a gameplay thing. Marth was my main in Melee because his gameplay was so perfect. However Marth being lame outside of smash, and getting his range nerfed in Smash made it so I no longer care for Marth. Roy and Lucina have been competing for my Marth replacement. Lucina is nice and basic and I'm a sucker for people from doomed timelines, and maybe the way to go due to lack of time. However, Roy just has more interesting gameplay because of his mechanics, also he's a bit more fun of a character ("Heeeeeeyah!). Also Roy being considered a worse Marth for the longest time makes me want to play him, even if he's way better in Ultimate compared to what he used to be.
:ultdarkpit:18 Dark Pit - Pit may have better arrows and death scream, but he's annoying outside of that. Dark Pit looks cooler, and taking a glance at what his story is and his taunts, I feel like Dark Pit is a character I could totally love. One of these days I'll play the game because I feel he has the potential to be up there with Meta Knight+Lucario for a character I love. Though I highly doubt there will be a "omg I have to main this character because of this moment" that happened with MK and Lucario, especially since at a glance the kid icarus games seem very silly like the Star Fox games. Dark Pit ticks most of the boxes for what I love in a character. So I've been trying to get better with him. My main concern is that he might be a bit on the slow side, and there's not much in the way of random combos for him.
:ultfalcon:13 (only 13!?) Captain Falcon - Usually just for fun. However Captain Falcon is the master of making moments that make you go "OMG DID YOU JUST SEE THAT!?" and he just feels awesome too. Too bad I don't care about the character at all. Though playing Smash to have awesome moments is one of the reasons why I love Smash and Captain Falcon embodies that. So perhaps someday I might play him in a more competitive way.
:ultcloud:13 Cloud - Played quite a bit in Smash 4 with Cloud. He just ticks many of the boxes for what I love in a character. I just haven't touched him much because he basically doesn't have a character outside of smash glancing around at his games, also because he's the easiest character in Smash to use that I don't really feel like there's much room for improvement outside of ultra specific stuff. Which I feel like I'm always trying to learn a character, Cloud gets really low on the list to be played because of this. Though there's a good chance he might get played again in the future.

Really makes me sad that I have so few matches with characters. However I was just so busy 100%ing Ultimate that I didnt get the chance to play with people for the longest time. Focusing on getting sleep to have better quality matches as well (along with better quality everything else in real life), which means less hours playing. Also been distracted by the awesomeness of VR.... Smash in VR is kinda fun too, and I now understand why people love curved TV screens so much. Except in VR I can easily change the position and size of the TV whenever I want, even if I want it in the air because I'm lying down.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
SS:ultdiddy:

S:ultvillagerf::ultjigglypuff::ultisabelle::ultwendy:

A:ultinkling::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ulticeclimbers:

B:ultwolf::ultluigi::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultsnake::ultken::ultrichter::ultincineroar:

C just about everyone else cause there's too much to list

D:ultmiifighters::ultdaisy:(note that I don't mind her but I don't like how she's represented in this game)

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Main: :ultrob:
Secondary: :ultolimar:
Use fairly often: :ulttoonlink::ultgnw:
Have been intending to use more than I currently do: :ultpiranha::ultludwig:

And then there's the rest

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If it’s by how much I play as them that fluctuates... a lot and would be hard for me to tell, but thats why we have play % in records.

SS: :ultsnake:
S: :ultpokemontrainer::ultcorrinf::ultpichu::ultgnw:
A::ultgunner::ultdarksamus:
B: :ultsimon::ultpikachu::ultwolf:
C: :ultlucina::ultridley::ultjoker::ultyoshi::ultganondorf::ultbowser:
D: :ultyounglink::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultfox::ultbrawler:
E: :ultdk::ultlittlemac::ultrobinf::ultrichter::ultsamus:
F: everybody else

Edit: I somehow skipped over Dark Samus

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I did this off the top of my head (my actual game might say otherwise), but here's mine:

[edit] Looks like images aren't working right now. Sick...
Eh... it happens. I had a hard time getting my tier list on Smashboards for a while. I can see the image from making my reply, but the image doesn’t show up after I post it. You can use the icons if you want, or you can try to post this later l.

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Just a tip for other people participating, Smashtierlist.com is much cleaner looking.
Ex-mains tier is sorted based on how good I am at them, the rest is alphabetical.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I don't play a lot of the characters in the game, so my list is quite short.

Main: :ultridley:
Plays often: :ultjigglypuff: :ultbowser: :ultganondorf: :ultmario: :ultsimon: :ultness: :ultkingdedede:
Plays occasionally: :ultlink: :ultlucina: :ultpalutena: :ultcloud: :ultlucas: :ultcorrin: :ultpiranha: :ultfalcon: :ultkrool:

The rest of the cast I really haven't played more than a match or two with, or have never played at all.

Oh, well, this too:
Actively avoids: :ultolimar: (I just find his mechanics complex and annoying to play with)

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Here's mine, i counted both the offline & Arena matches + Online battles.

The tiers are all in order (Ex: I've fought 46 battles with Pokemon trainer but only 30 with the icies.)
I didn't feel like putting characters that didn't have 30+ battles and the only character that i've been actively avoiding is Diddy (sorry bro :c).

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Mains:
:ultsnake::ultike::ultrichter: - My time in Smash Brawl was mostly spent with Marth, Ike, and Snake. I didn't bother with most characters because I was happy with these three. A general rule though is that I will stay away from Radiant Dawn Ike at all costs. Those alternate costumes reminds me of Smash 4 Ike. I like to play all three of them equally now, but I feel like I have been gravitating towards Snake a little bit more recently.

Secondaries:
:ultlink: - I play Link often. I'm not truly good with him, but he's a nice change of pace that I can rely on, and as a fan of BOTW, the BOTW based changes are so cool. Honestly, the Smash Ultimate E3 2018 trailer is what got me to buy that game.
:ultganondorf: - I also play Ganondorf often. Defiantly my second best in FFA matches with friends. I did try him in Smash 4 and hated him, but the Sword Smash Attacks and general buffs sold me this game.
:ultchrom: - Chromicide nerfs have really hurt him, so I don't play him as much anymore, but I still play him often. Before the patch, Chrom used to be top of the "Secondaries" category.
:ultjoker: - I made the signature before Joker got released, but now that I am getting better at bringing out Arsene with the Rebel's Guard, I have come to like him a bit more. I play him sometimes.
:ultincineroar: - I still wanted Decidueye at the time, and I thought many months ago he was going to be "Actively Avoid" for that reason, but then I got him in random, and I actually can play him well. He's up here for that reason. Hopefully the final evolution of Grookey makes it in as DLC.

Sometimes:
:ultroy: - With Snake gone entirely and Ike ruined both in design and moves, I had no mains going into Smash 4. I searched up and down the roster looking for someone I can play reliably and fell short with almost the entire base roster. This becomes a frequent trend by the way. Smash 4 was the reason why a good chunk of characters are placed where they are. I refer to these characters as "Smash 4 Attempted Pickups" (or "S4AP" for short). Lo and behold, Roy got announced as DLC, and I immediately knew I had to make him a S4AP. I liked Roy a lot in Smash 4, played he hell out of him along side Corrin and Cloud for most of the game's life cycle, and I still think he's cool, but Chrom is just better in my opinion.
:ultcorrinf: - Corrin was one of my S4APs. I found Corrin to be a character who is enjoyable to play. I played her along side Roy and Cloud for most of the game's life cycle, and still like playing as her to this day. I just got to keep away from the male version, and I'm good to go.
:ultlucina: - Marth was one of fiveish characters that could even qualify as going under the "Sometimes" category or higher in Smash 4. With Marth pretty much dead to me in this game, I choose to play Lucina more now. Besides, I like playing as her. If you want to know why I say Marth is dead to me, see him in the "Almost Never" category.
:ultrob: - ROB was a character I tried closer to the end of Smash 4's life cycle. Somewhat cool, but with my mains back, I stopped playing him for the most part. I can still use them sometimes, but not not as much anymore.

Rarely:
:ultdoc: - Doctor Mario was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultpeach: - Peach was one of my S4APs. I didn't like her, and I dropped her by the time Smash 4 DLC started releasing. I rarely use her.
:ultbowser: - Bowser was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultwario: - Wario was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultdk: - Donkey Kong was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultyounglink: - I never gave Young Link a chance in any game. I know Young Link was technically a veteran from Smash Melee, but to me, he is a newcomer because I never played Smash Melee. I don't particularly dislike him, but the BOTW Link is better in my opinion, so I don't ever see myself going to play as him seriously. I rarely use him.
:ulttoonlink: - Toon Link was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. In addition, I don't ever see myself going to Toon Link again for the same reason as Young Link. I rarely use him.
:ultsamus: - Samus was one of those characters I used to play for fun. She was my main in Smash 64. Having skipped Smash Melee, I dropped her in Smash Brawl because I stopped liking how she played and wasn't fond of how she transformed into Zero Suit Samus. She was one of my S4APs, but I still don't play her anymore. I rarely use her.
:ultdarksamus: - I know Dark Samus technically has a much lower play rate in my stats, but I count her as the same character as Samus because they exhibit minimal differences from each other and are echo fighters in the game. I rarely use her.
:ultpit: - Pit was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultdarkpit: - Dark Pit was also one of my S4APs. I preferred him over Pit because I liked Dark Pit's specials better. While I didn't particularly dislike Dark Pit, some characters just clicked better later, so I dropped him by the time Smash 4 DLC started releasing. I rarely use him.
:ultkirby: - Kirby was also one of those characters I used to play for fun. He was my secondary in Smash 64. I kept playing him in Smash Brawl for a little while before dropping him. He was one of my S4APs, but I still don't play him anymore. I rarely use him.
:ultmetaknight: - Metaknight was one of my S4APs. I knew Nintendo wouldn't make Metaknight broken in Smash 4 like they did in Smash Brawl. That didn't stop me from trying to pick him up, I didn't particularly dislike Metaknight, but I didn't like him either. He was one of the fiveish characters that could even qualify as going under the "Sometimes" category or higher in Smash 4 for a majority of that game's life cycle, but I dropped him completely in Smash Ultimate because the game brought back Snake, and made Ike playable for me again. I rarely use him.
:ultwolf: - I picked up Wolf closer to the end of Smash Brawl's life cycle. When I saw what happened to Ike and how Snake was gone completely, my first thought was to pick up where I left off with Wolf, but Smash 4 denied that as well. To this day, I haven't played him seriously again. I rarely use him.
:ultlucario: - Lucario was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultpokemontrainerf: - I still am not a fan of the concept of changing between three characters. If I do play Pokémon Trainer, I will mostly play Ivysaur and/or Charizard the whole time. They're not bad characters, but not my favorites either. Squirtle would be in the "Almost Never" category. I just prefer to not play her all together though. I rarely use her.
:ultness: - Ness was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I wasn't PK Fire happy when I used him though. That move was an afterthought to me. If I knew how good that move was at the time, I would probably still be using Ness to this day, but I wasn't knowledgeable with the specifics of playing Ness at the time. I rarely use him.
:ultlucas: - I never gave Lucas a chance in any game. He was released alongside Roy, and I knew I wanted to try Roy first. I never properly gave Lucas a chance, and I think it's a bit late for me to do that. I rarely use him.
:ultfalcon: - Captain Falcon was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I know he was good in that game, but I didn't like him, and that's what matters when finding a main. I rarely use him.
:ultvillager: - Villager was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I rarely use him.
:ultisabelle: - I tried Villager, and I tried Isabelle later. While her new specials are pretty cool, there's not enough differences for me to really want to give her a shot. I rarely use her.
:ultinkling: - I tried Inkling in Smash Ultimate, but I didn't like the way she played. I rarely use her.

Very Rarely:
:ultmario: - Mario was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I know he was good in that game, but I didn't like him, and that's what matters when finding a main. I very rarely use him.
:ultbowserjr: - Bowser Jr was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use him.
:ultpiranha: - I never gave Piranha Plant a chance in any game. I want to try at some point to see if this character might be decent in my hands, but I simply haven't gotten around to. I very rarely use him.
:ultdiddy: - I never gave Diddy Kong a chance in any game. I know I was on a hunt for mains in Smash 4, but I chose not to try Diddy Kong because I didn't want to look like that guy who plays an over powered character for the same of playing an over powered character. I very rarely use him.
:ultzelda: - Zelda was one of my S4APs. I didn't like her, and I dropped her early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use her.
:ultsheik: - Sheik was one of my S4APs. I didn't like her, and I dropped her early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use her.
:ultzss: - I never gave Zero Suit Samus a chance in Smash 4. I know she was changed a lot from Smash Brawl, but I just couldn't get into using her at all in that game and didn't think to try her again. I very rarely use her.
:ultridley: - I tried Ridley in Smash Ultimate, but I didn't like him. I very rarely use him.
:ultrobinf: - Robin was one of my S4APs. I didn't like her, and I dropped her early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use her.
:ultkingdedede: - King Dedede was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. Some of the Gordo setups were pretty crazy though. I'm kind of sad that I was unable to pull those off even with some practice. I very rarely use him.
:ultfox: - Fox was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use him.
:ultfalco: - Falco was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use him. Although, I will say that when it comes to the NFL, I would really like to say GO BIRDS!
:ultpikachu: - I never gave Pikachu a chance in any game. I very rarely use him.
:ultjigglypuff: - I never gave Jigglypuff a chance in any game. If I'm being honest, I was so bad at Smash Bros back in the day that I didn't even unlock her or any of the secret four in Smash 64. Come Smash 4, I was looking for mains, but I didn't even bother trying her when I saw she was still just as bad. I took her out of the picture all together. I very rarely use her.
:ultmewtwo: - Mewtwo was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him soon after his release. He did get buffed like crazy, but Roy had settled in with me, by then, so I didn't go back to try him again. I very rarely use him.
:ultgreninja: - Greninja was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use him.
:ultgnw: - Mr Game and Watch was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. On top of that, the new Forward Aerial bomb had completely killed him for a friend of mine, so I won't be giving him another try any time soon. I very rarely use him.
:ultduckhunt: - Duck Hunt was one of my S4APs. I didn't like them, and I dropped them early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use them.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Wii Fit Trainer was one of my S4APs. I didn't like her, and I dropped her early in Smash 4's life cycle. Also, she seems like a very boring character in general due to both her design and move set. I very rarely use her.
:ultshulk: - Shulk was my first S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. With the new way the Monado Arts work, I did give him another try in Smash Ultimate, but I still didn't like the way he played. I very rarely use him.
:ultmegaman: - Mega Man was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I very rarely use him.
:ultsonic: - Sonic was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I did play him in a couple matches recently when playing random character. It could have been that the opponents that particular day were all scrubs, but I want to try at some point to see if this character might be decent in my hands. I simply haven't gotten around to do that yet though. I very rarely use him.
:ultcloud: - Cloud is quite an interesting case to be honest. He was one of my S4APs. While he was one of the characters I enjoyed playing as in Smash 4, the massive amount of nerfs he received going into Smash Ultimate was a huge turn off and ruined Cloud for me completely. I very rarely use him.
:ultmiifighters: - I never gave the Miis a chance in any game. I very rarely use them.

Almost Never:
:ultluigi: - Luigi was one of my S4APs. I really hated playing as him, and I dropped him not even a day later. I don't know why, but I just can't get used to the way he plays. I almost never use him.
:ultrosalina: - I never gave Rosalina and Luma a chance in any game, but I don't really plan to given how much I despised playing as the Ice Climbers without the knowledge of what chain grabbing was. I almost never use her.
:ultyoshi: - Yoshi was one of my S4APs. I really hated playing as him, and I dropped him not even a day later. I don't know why, but I just can't get used to the way he plays. I almost never use him.
:ultmarth: - I liked Marth a lot in Smash 4. The fact that I still had the ability to play as him from Smash Brawl said a lot, but this character has pretty much died to me in Smash Ultimate for a couple reasons. First and foremost, I feel like it's a lot harder to hit the tipper in Smash Ultimate for one reason or another. I'm really not sure why. Second, Snake is back in the game, what I liked about Ike is back, and many of the newcomers are so much cooler to play as. Finally, while I don't mind an English voice actor, I hate his English voice actor, and I don't want to change my game language. I pretty much cut ties with Marth completely. Any time I want to play with his moves, I play Lucina instead. I can still give him another try in Smash 6, or if he gets a buff. Long story short, I almost never use him anymore.
:ultpichu: - I tried Pichu in Smash Ultimate. Much like Young Link, Pichu to me is effectively a newcomer, so naturally, I was anxious to try the new folks out, but I really hated playing as him, and I dropped him not even a day later. I almost never use him.
:ultlittlemac: - Little Mac was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I don't think I want to give him an official try in Smash Ultimate given how bad he is known to be in this game. I'm calling it right now. Little Mac will be the worst character on at least one official tier list for Smash Ultimate. I almost never use him.
:ulticeclimbers: - Ice Climbers was a character I tried in Smash Brawl. I really hated playing as them, and I dropped them not even a day later. I simply can't get used to controlling multiple characters at the same time. I much prefer when the power is packed into one punch. Towards the end of Smash Brawl's life cycle, I did hear about and try chain grabbing, but I barely got anywhere with it. I almost never use them.
:ultolimar: - Olimar was a character I tried in Smash Brawl. I really hated playing as him so much. He was probably my worst character, and is probably my second worst character in Smash Ultimate behind only Bayonetta. I didn't even consider him as a possible main in Smash 4. I almost never use them.
:ultpacman: - Pac-Man was one of my S4APs. I didn't like him, and I dropped him early in Smash 4's life cycle. I almost never use him.
:ultryu: - Ryu was my final S4APs before the discovery of Roy. I really hated playing as him, and I dropped him not even a day later. I almost never use him.
:ultken: - I never gave Ken a chance in any game. This is because he is an echo fighter of one of my worst characters. I almost never use them.
:ultbayonetta: - By the time of Bayonetta's release in Smash 4, I decided I didn't want to try her because Roy and Cloud were two characters that I was excelent with at the time. I wanted to give her a try at some point, so I did. I really hated playing as her, and I dropped her not even a day later. I don't know why, but I just can't get used to the way she plays. I almost never use her.

Actively Avoid:
:ultdaisy: - I know she is an echo fighter of Peach who was in the "Rarely" category, but she is one of the more annoying characters in Smash Bros. I'm not saying that from a move set perspective. I'm saying that from a vocal perspective. Her taunts, victory poses, and other voice sounds she makes when performing moves are simply obnoxious. I don't know if the "Hi I'm Daisy" phrase is returning, but I defiantly don't want to hear such words come from her mouth in this game.
:ultkrool: - A person close to be in real life mains King K Rool. That person would be my own brother. This is just simply a rivalry case.
:ultpalutena: - I just don't like her. I don't know why, something about this woman has rubbed me the wrong way since her debut trailer It's inexplicable.
:ultsimon: - I know he is an echo fighter of Richter who is literally one of my three mains, but the fact that Richter is simply much cooler makes me never want to play Simon ever again. I mean, Richter has so many cool lines and much better voice acting. "Take This!", "You Don't Belong in this World!", and "Farewell!" are lines I simply don't want to sacrifice for simple grunts and/or dialog spoken in another language.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Tiers are unordered.

Sorry for lousy image quality, I was having some technical issues.

IMG_9370.jpg

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Nice list, but what do you mean about shamed out of maining Yoshi? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to, but I am just curious.
I keep seeing Yoshi players getting bashed for allegedly being cheap and toxic.
Yoshi may be my favorite fictional species, but he's not worth being targeted by the Internet Hate Squadron.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917

I legitimately played :ultivysaur: in Brawl, and while I'm glad he's much better now, I'm worried I may get called lame for picking a character with "broken moves".
I'd say my definitive second best is :ultpacman:. I loved him in Smash 4 and now he's only gotten better (besides U-tilt being stupidly hard to hit).
I mained :ultlucas: in Smash 4, but I just can't fully get used to his lack of combos off of grabs, despite him being better in every other way.

The rest is self-explanatory, and yes, I'm sad that smashtierlist.com doesn't have the Koopalings as options.

Last edited:

AJb1205

Smash Cadet
NNID
AJb1205
Mains (300+ battles): :ultness::ultlucas:
200+ battles: :ultcloud:
100+ battles::ultyoshi::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpikachu::ultsonic::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultjoker::ultmegaman::ultluigi::ultpichu:
50-100::ultinkling::ultmewtwo::ultmario::ultdoc::ultsamus::ultgnw::ultdaisy::ultike::ultvillager::ultpit::ultlucario::ultzelda::ultmarth::ulttoonlink::ultbowser::ultisabelle::ultlink:
30-50::ultcorrinf::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultlucina::ultincineroar:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Yoshi may be my favorite fictional species, but he's not worth being targeted by the Internet Hate Squadron.
That sucks! The only people who are toxic are the people who bash players for playing certain characters. They will look for any excuses for why they are losing and they will blame the character being cheap instead of adapting. I’ll be honest, I was very scared about receiving hate for maining Yoshi and Palutena because of how “braindead” they are and how “toxic” they are. These people never think for a second that maybe we main these characters because we enjoy them outside of Smash or that we like their personalities. It honestly discouraged me from playing for a while because I don’t want to play with people who will look at me as toxic or cheap just because I play as a certain character, and at the same time, I didn’t want to switch mains because I enjoy Yoshi and Palu the most. I have since then chose not worry about what others think because I was letting it get to me too much. The people who bash players for playing as a certain character are too busy complaining when they can learn the matchup. Don’t worry about what random people on the internet say about a character you like. If you enjoy Yoshi, play as him.

Sorry for the rant, but I really don’t like people who bash players for using certain characters. That is the one thing that really gets on my nerves in this community.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Don't listen to the internet. People will complain about a character that they find themselves unable to win against. These toxic individuals will go out of their way to spam their requests for nerfs on these characters. They also call out people who use these characters anywhere they get the chance. This has been a common occurrence with literally every game with a PvP type system regardless of what that system may be since the dawn of message boards. It's sad to be honest. To name a few examples...

- There was a tsunami sized wave of individuals in Smash 4 giving people crap for maining Mario, Yoshi, Ness, Sonic, Cloud, et cetera.
- In Brawlhalla before Wu Shang was playable, the source of people unjustifiably shaming others came from Hattori. She's still my avatar.
- Years ago, members of the Clash Royale community frequently verbally assaulted others (sometimes racially) for using a Hog Rider deck.

Those people are simply not good at the game, and you should not let their anger dictate who you do and don't play.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
That's kind of the reason I'm here. My boi doesn't deserve to be left behind because of hecklers... :yoshi:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
>snake, plant, belmonts, link, dSamus and rob
I'm surprised you haven't broken your B button yet
I actually have broken my A button on one of my Joy-Cons with Ike and Cloud...
Tearing through WoL eight times, treating it like a beat-em-up, will do that.

Don't listen to the internet. People will complain about a character that they find themselves unable to win against. These toxic individuals will go out of their way to spam their requests for nerfs on these characters. They also call out people who use these characters anywhere they get the chance. This has been a common occurrence with literally every game with a PvP type system regardless of what that system may be since the dawn of message boards. It's sad to be honest. To name a few examples...

- There was a tsunami sized wave of individuals in Smash 4 giving people crap for maining Mario, Yoshi, Ness, Sonic, Cloud, et cetera.
- In Brawlhalla before Wu Shang was playable, the source of people unjustifiably shaming others came from Hattori. She's still my avatar.
- Years ago, members of the Clash Royale community frequently verbally assaulted others (sometimes racially) for using a Hog Rider deck.

Those people are simply not good at the game, and you should not let their anger dictate who you do and don't play.
Yeah, you guys are right, but it's just a bit hard to get it through my head, you know? I don't like getting wrapped up in conflict. Which is funny because somehow I always seem to.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah, you guys are right, but it's just a bit hard to get it through my head, you know? I don't like getting wrapped up in conflict. Which is funny because somehow I always seem to.
It's a lot easier to state your distaste for someone's character choice than it to show support.

Which is what my job is. I show support for those that play Yoshi :yoshi:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
If it makes you feel any better, I relate to this feeling on a spiritual level. As I started to get into competitive Smash, I was very insecure about maining Yoshi early on in Ultimate. People were giving Yoshi players so much crap and it killed my motivation to use him against people online or even my own friends. However, a good friend of mine told me that I worry too much about it and that I should play as the character who I have the most fun with. It took me a little while to get over it, but the important thing to remember is that it is usually just a vocal minority that attacks a certain character. Most players will not care who you main and they just want to play the game and have fun. When I went to a local tournament near my school, none of the people I went against had any problem with the characters I used. Ever since then, I never had a problem using Yoshi or Palu again. The best advice I can give is to not worry what the internet thinks.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit: :ultpit:
Mains who aren’t Pit: :ultjoker::ultinkling::ultinklingboy:
Special Mains: :ultsheik::ultmario::ultsonic::ultrosalina::ultolimar:
Subs: :ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultchrom:
Fun Squad: :ultbowser::ultcorrinf::ultlink::ultmiifighters::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultroy::ulttoonlink:
!!!!DORIYAH!!!!: :ultganondorf:
Randoms Only: :ultdk::ultfalco::ultfox::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultluigi::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultpeach::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultbayonetta::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:
Can’t Play Cause I Suck With Them Yet Will Still Use: :ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultpacman::ultridley::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultryu::ultken::ultsnake::ultvillager::ultshulk:
No: :ultcloud::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultshulk::ultrichter::ultsheik:
Female Better: :ultcorrin::ultpokemontrainer::ultwiifittrainerm:
Aw Hell 2 Da Naw: :ultyoshi::ultalph::ultluigi::ultlucas::ultness::ultolimar::ultdiddy:

And that’s how I function

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
Main: :ultfalcon:
Often used but not main: :ultdoc:, :ultgnw:

Somewhat used: :ultsnake:, :ultsimon:, :ultroy:

And the rest goes to everyone else. Eventually I’ll experiment with everyone else and maybe I would have a bigger list.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
According to the in-game counter...

:ultchrom::ultmarth::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultpacman::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ultolimar::ultpiranha::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultmario::ultisabelle::ultwolf::ultpalutena::ultridley::ultsamus::ultlink::ultinkling::ultluigi::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultzelda::ultdk::ultryu::ultpichu::ultduckhunt::ultcloud::ultpokemontrainer::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultbowserjr::ultshulk::ultrob::ultdaisy::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultdiddy::ulttoonlink::ultken::ultsheik::ultrobin::ultfalco::ultsnake::ultfox::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultness::ultzss::ultike::ultwiifittrainer::ultlucas::ultdoc::ultpeach::ultjigglypuff::ultpit::ultgnw::ultcorrinf::ultfalcon::ultbayonetta::ultyoshi::ultrosalina::ultsonic::ultkirby::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultswordfighter::ultdarksamus:

In descending order.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice

My main is Yoshi (I almost always play as Yoshi). :ultyoshi: My secondaries are Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Bowser, Bowser Jr. and King K. Rool (note that Pikachu is the highest priority out of all the secondaries). :ultpikachu: :ultsquirtle: :ultivysaur: :ultcharizard: :ultbowser: :ultbowserjr: :ultkrool:

I occasionally play as Sonic. All other characters in the game I don't play that often, or not at all.

I just noticed that my main and all of my secondaries (except Pikachu) are reptiles.

At the bottom of the tier list, I put "not counted" for Pokemon Trainer because I already have Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur listed, and one can't actually play as the Pokemon trainer (i.e. the human) in matches.

Note that I do want to play as every character (fighter) in the game at least once.

Saikyoshi Saikyoshi , I think you should main Yoshi. Don't listen to the haters. Who you play should not be determined by other people's opinions. Play who you want to play as (in this case, Yoshi).

Last edited:
Top Bottom