• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rains of Castamere Results & Shout Outs

Zhea

Smash Ace
I think I'll take that as a queue to write up small post mortem.

What went wrong:
  • I tried to record too much. This caused a very long LB match to effectively hold up several Winner Semis I could of just run on other setups. This is also indicative of another problem:
  • I don't have a stable commentator(s) and I don't have someone to man the recording setup. I probably should drop commentary altogether until I do and just focus on the recording aspect. It causes matches people thought were getting recorded to get lost if I have a tournament match going on.
  • I was too lenient on people not getting to their matches. Short of actually not showing up by the time other matches had finished I didn't DQ anyone or put them into losers when I should of. (No, I am not talking about the infinity/bec incident, they are actually the only people to say they are getting food in ten minutes and actually be back in that time)
  • I had a low number of PM setups compared to past events. PM actually more efficiently than melee to be fair, considering it finished at only an hour over melee's time with nearly double the entrants in each event, but it could of alleviated some of that pressure early on.
  • Red chair was broken and cost me my deposit, but that's more of a my land lord is a douche bag and less of a "we made a mess". That chair had been cracked since last time 2 months ago and was never fixed.
  • I still failed to make time for break gap for PM that wasn't just caused by me pushing it back
  • The venue, specifically for PM was too small. I did not plan for this kind of turn out and it was definitely more cramped than usual. Since I personally provide a lot of the tables/seating I wasn't able to compensate with this and thus a lot of people ended up having to stand around for hours which I personally hate doing at a tournament.
  • Background noise in the commentary was too loud and there wasn't enough commentary to actually justify it.

What went right:
  • This is still, for the number of events and attendance, the fastest I have run things. Progress is progress.
  • Bracket/Seeding was much faster and generally worked out well, mostly due to the efforts of Nike.
  • The new smash board tools made making the results thread way simpler and slicker.
So what do you people think? What can I do to improve the next SA monthly?

AfterburnDeity

Smash Rookie
Grime - Definitely working on it, good games.

Thanks for the nice tournament and to everyone that did friendlies.

Now if only I could remember the name of my doubles partner...

Last edited:

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Well I guess that means it's time for little ol' PK-T to graduate from player to official assistant.

How I feel about what went wrong:
  • Simply put, yes. Although, I believe that was just the hype kicking in. I've been looking for ways to fix this problem as well for a while.
  • With the ranking tourney potentially being my last P:M singles event, I am willing to do commentary, take entry, call matches, record matches, and enter results for all future P:M events held in San Antonio.
  • Leniancy is good to a certain extent, but not when it delays the progress of a tournament. Speaking of, I think it would be a good idea to clarify the extent and perameters of the gentleman's clause. One example is when I asked to gentleman 3/5 in a 2/3 set in P:M doubles. I clearly would've been holding up the tourney because of that. Also @S.O.S. it's not likely that I will gentleman anything too wonky in tourney anymore. If I do face you in a P:M tourney, I'm down for random character random stage, but only in singles.
  • I tried to accomadate the space we had and find room for the P:M setups that were being brought in by putting them on the bar, but it seems that it didn't help much as people were still trying to find room to sit and there was a lack of chairs near the bar area. (Why? There were barstools, even though the red one was broken. Sorry about your deposit btw)
  • I am Bloodnofsky! I've broken a thousand before and I'll break a thousand more! Now tremble before your deposit! For be it the chair, or your blood, red will be the last color you ever see! (sorry again about your deposit)
  • I can help run melee whenever I'm not in tourney so that things can go faster.
  • Since your tournaments are getting bigger I volunteer to run the P:M side of things, keeping in mind that I'll still be entering P:M doubles.
  • If you do end up getting a bigger venue, might I suggest that we place the main setup and recording table away from the other setups to eliminate as much of this noise as possible? Other pros of this is that there's more standing room for hype matches such as Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals.
  • A personal wrong-going is that I decided it would be best to skip the lunch break because I wanted to help at the venue. While my quest was honorable, it was HIGHLY stupid and I paid for it in my tournament performance.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Austin was having a BBQ. He didn't arrive until we were well into bracket.
yo can you take me off of the results, I didn't enter...
I'm not even in the bracket image lol

Last edited:

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Frisbie didn't enter though, it was his friend Smitty Werbenjagermanjansen that looks like him and plays Ness. Whoever that was got confused
**** that was Richard on my account just now...y'all can't even handle Richard Biscuit

Zhea

Smash Ace
Instead of uploading yesterday, I decided to cut my thumb open and find out that you should cover your skin when cooking with habenaro.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
@Problem2 Hmmm...your link dude...and even more so in P:M. quick @ Skeith Skeith beat him in a link ditto and bring honor back to SA!! HERO OF TIIIIIIIIIME!!
I need to get on smashboards more often -_-. Couldn't make it to this, looks like I missed out a lot :(. Are any Dallas players coming to the next monthly? Would've like to played against you guys.

I'm still amazed me and Problem2 haven't met directly yet, even though we could have at Forte. We should play sometime @Problem2 , need good experience against Link, I rarely get to play any other Links.

Top Bottom