• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raiden Support Thread: Reveangence

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver

With more third party characters being a definite future of Smash Bros., and more Metal Gear Solid games being added to Nintendo consoles, it seems a possibility that there could be another Metal Gear Solid character in Smash 4. Given the choices, Raiden seems the most likely candidate. Three facts that contribute to my logic for this:

- He is a recurring Metal Gear Solid character.
- He has a new game coming up, Metal Gear Rising, which stars him.
- Cyborg Ninja was an assist trophy in Brawl, which he takes the role of lately.​
However, he is unlikely in the fact that Rising will not appear on a Nintendo console and Metal Gear Solid has few games in Nintendo's history as well.

Raiden's moveset could be drastically different than both Snake's and the rest of the cast, and he's incredibly popular from the fanbase. Discuss Raiden being in the next Smash Bros, however unlikely those chances may be.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The only reason I don't see him as a character in Smash 4 is because he has never appeared in a game on a Nintendo platform, be it console or handheld. He wasn't even a trophy in Brawl. Snake, on the other hand, has appeared in 5 games on Nintendo's systems:

- Metal Gear (NES)
- Snake's Revenge (NES)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (NES)
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN)
- Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater (3DS)

I'm willing to bet that had it not been for Snake's appearance on those Nintendo platforms, we wouldn't have seen him in Brawl to begin with. Even Sonic has appeared on numerous Nintendo consoles.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... and a danish.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
The only reason I don't see him as a character in Smash 4 is because he has never appeared in a game on a Nintendo platform, be it console or handheld. He wasn't even a trophy in Brawl. Snake, on the other hand, has appeared in 5 games on Nintendo's systems:

- Metal Gear (NES)
- Snake's Revenge (NES)
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (NES)
- Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GCN)
- Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater (3DS)

I'm willing to bet that had it not been for Snake's appearance on those Nintendo platforms, we wouldn't have seen him in Brawl to begin with. Even Sonic has appeared on numerous Nintendo consoles.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents... and a danish.
Well, Grey Fox (the original Cyborg Ninja) was in Brawl. Raiden took over the role of Cyborg Ninja, so it's at least a glimmer of hope he could be in.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, Grey Fox (the original Cyborg Ninja) was in Brawl. Raiden took over the role of Cyborg Ninja, so it's at least a glimmer of hope he could be in.
It may be a glimmer, not because of Grey Fox (he appeared in The Twin Snakes on the Gamecube), but because Metal Gear Gekko made a cameo in the background of Shadow Moses, and as a trophy, and Gekko appears in Metal Gear Solid 4; a PS3-exclusive title. Still, that glimmer is very dim at best.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow, I love this idea. Since Sakurai and Konami guy are best friends, there could easily be another MGS rep (well, not easily). I prefer Roy campbell, personally, but Raiden would be great too. I can't believe this thread died after three replies...

D

Deleted member

Metal Gear Solid 4 elements were referenced in Brawl, and that game came after Brawl on PS360 and not on Wii.

I don't see not being on a Nintendo system affecting Raiden, considering the series he came from HAS been on one and has things in Smash already.

(And prior to Snake Eater 3D, plenty of MGS3 references were in the game as well; including Snake taking on Big Boss' beard.)

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I'm find it difficult to believe Raiden can even be considered for SSB4, because of the fact that he's already a confirmed character for PS AllStars. And his inclusion involves the fact that he's there to promote the upcoming MGS game, which is a game for PS3 and Xbox 360. Not a Nintendo console whatsoever.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
About time a Raiden Thread showed up. We've had more than enough talk about a 2nd Sonic Rep. I still doubt he'll get in though due to Pichu4SSB4's reason, the fact he'll have to compete with Grey Fox, he'd be a second 3rd party rep from his series and his lack of Nintendo representation.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Raiden honestly has no chance. (He's better for Playstation All-Stars)

If we get a Cyborg Ninja character from MGS, it should/would be Gray Fox.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Lots of people are talking about a possible 2nd sonic rep. MGS has more of a chance for a second rep, and here is why:
Konami guy (seriously, can I get a name of one of you) is good friends with Sakurai, as you all know. Snake would have also been in Melee if not for time constraints, fact. Sonic was the latest addition to brawl because of popularity. Someone almost in melee getting a second rep after the last (minute) addition to the last game in the series? It just doesn't add up.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Honestly, a second rep is hardly possible for either of the series, so it makes no sense to debate which one would be more "likely." However, it definitely would not be Metal Gear. Don't you think that Snake is enough for Kojima? I doubt that he would keep prodding Sakurai to include more characters. Sakurai is likely friends with lots of developers. He doesn't keep throwing in more characters just because they're friends.

Even if Kojima wanted a second Metal Gear character, I doubt Sakurai would allow it. It's still his game, he has the final say, not Kojima or anyone else. And both Sakurai and Kojima know that.

jigglover said:
Someone almost in melee getting a second rep after the last (minute) addition to the last game in the series?
What exactly are you referring to?

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai was willing to include a 2nd Metal Gear character, it'd be Gray Fox. He likes him apparently.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lots of people are talking about a possible 2nd sonic rep. MGS has more of a chance for a second rep, and here is why:
Konami guy (seriously, can I get a name of one of you) is good friends with Sakurai, as you all know. Snake would have also been in Melee if not for time constraints, fact. Sonic was the latest addition to brawl because of popularity. Someone almost in melee getting a second rep after the last (minute) addition to the last game in the series? It just doesn't add up.
The fact is they both debuted at the same time, even if one was planned for earlier. Neither will actually receive a second character, but if one did, chances are it would be Sonic (or both). The requests for a second Sonic character (while not generally logical, like requests for a second MGS character) are many in number, much more than for any and all secondary MGS characters, like Raiden. There are three options Sakurai would do: notice the demand for a second Sonic character and add one, notice the demand for a second Sonic character, add one, and add MGS character to make things even, or (and this is without a doubt by far the unquestionable most likely situation) keep it at one character each.

Like Spydr said, it's unlikely Kojima would even ask for another character, and even more unlikely Sakurai would approve.

Plus once again your logic is very strange. By your logic we should've received a second Yoshi and F-Zero rep before we got two consecutive FE additions. Yeah, it would be nice if we had (except maybe Yoshi), but it doesn't work that way. Stop trying to create arbitrary rules.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
1. Konami guy's name is Kojima.

2. Raiden has no appearances on Nintendo consoles and a third party needs those to join smash.

3. Sakurai likes Gray Fox and he has all the stuff needed to appear on Smash if we somehow got a second MGS rep. (not happening obviously)

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I'd rather see Grey Fox, he was already a trophy and I think he's way cooler anyways, I think the assist trophy's are the most likely candidates for newcomes(some at least) I'd love to see Shadow and Little Mac

jigglover

Smash Lord
1. Konami guy's name is Kojima. Thank you!

2. Raiden has no appearances on Nintendo consoles and a third party needs those to join smash.But the series has, it doesn't matter.

3. Sakurai likes Gray Fox and he has all the stuff needed to appear on Smash if we somehow got a second MGS rep. (not happening obviously)
Really this should just be a second MGS rep thread, I mean, Raiden or Gray Fox, they'll both be :awesome:!
Answers in blue.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Raiden did appear as a sticker in Brawl. Technically that's all he needs.

And yes, I believe the character itself does need to have appeared on a Nintendo system to be playable, not just the series. (They can still appear as a trophy or sticker without any Nintendo appearances though).

D

Deleted member

Well, while not directly talking about Raiden himself, it appears that what Yoshizumi of Namco Bandai says in regards to 3rd Party characters having to appear on a Nintendo system essentially regardless if the series itself had seals Raiden's fate.

http://nintendoeverything.com/93862/yoshizumi-on-including-tales-characters-in-next-smash-bros-more/

Since Raiden has not had an appearance on a Nintendo system, he is inelligible, regardless of the Metal Gear series being on Nintendo systems and being part of Smash Bros.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's enough for him to be eligible but not enough for him to have priority over Gray Fox.

I can see him replacing Gray Fox as the assist trophy, in all honesty, though.

D

Deleted member

Do you want to sound like the guy that claims Epic Mickey is elligible for Smash because "someone told him" that he was? Cause that's how you're sounding like right now.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It's enough for him to be eligible but not enough for him to have priority over Gray Fox.

I can see him replacing Gray Fox as the assist trophy, in all honesty, though.
I can agree with this.

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No, it's not.

It wasn't a true appearance.
Unless I'm missing something, all that was required of a character to be eligible was originating in a game and appearing on a Nintendo system. There was nothing about the character needing a starring role, a major role, or even anything more than a cameo, just their appearance on a Nintendo system. As small and insignificant as his appearance was, Raiden has appeared in an official game on a Nintendo platform, thus, he is eligible.

I don't think he has any kind of a shot, but he's eligible. Plus if he wasn't this thread would be closed.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
List of characters with a better chance than Raiden:
Gray Fox
Psycho Mantis
Liquid Snake
Big Boss
Meryl
Revolver Occelot
Metal Gear Rex (LOL)
The Rage
The Fear
The Death
The Boss
Johnny
Otacon
Colonel
Mei Ling
Generic foot soldier

:phone:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm this seems quite interesting... I've been theory crafting lately and it still seems quite plausible as a surprise.

Edit: Nvm... would be cool considering that he is also known as Snake... but meh.

Last edited:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather we wait till Snake shows up before we think about other MGS characters....
IF he shows up at all.
Yep. Exactly my thoughts. It's just wierd how Platinum games has been in good relations with Nintendo lately and them being one of the developers for MS Rising Revengeance I believe. Same situation goes for Bayonetta. But Sakurai already stated he'll leave 3rd Party characters to a minimum. I would love to see Metal Gear Solid Series return to the Wii U platform in some way even VC.

Edit: Then there's also the ESRB rating, but not sure how much that would affect their chances.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't think he'll be in the game. We don't even know if Snake will be back. But Raiden is pretty cool. I know people didn't like him that much at first, but in MGS4 and MGR, he's won over plenty of people. If Snake comes back, maybe Raiden can be a new assist trophy. Funny thing is, he could make for a decent fighter. But as far as we know, no third party series can have more than a single character. And I don't see anyone getting in over Solid Snake himself. Not even Big Boss or Raiden.

Also, Rules of Nature should definitely be one of the Metal Gear themes in Smash 4. At the very least we can get that.

Top Bottom