• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
ef1.png

Ike, the Mercenary Hero of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn has been in the previous Smash games ever since his introduction in Brawl. Being considered one of the most popular characters in the series hitting the top ten TWICE on the Fire Emblem Heroes CYL poll.

He has now returned to Smash Ultimate, with a new voice, Greg Chun and both his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn designs.

Ike Discord
https://discord.gg/q4NCmDE

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No way I can see Ike being cut.

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
If it wasn't for marth being the original protag and big in japan I'd say Ike would be the last FE character to be cut, I don't expect any changes except more buffs, I'd love for his eruption to be changed to a projectile because Ragnell and it's a considerable weakness for Ike to not have one but that's wishful thinking. I also suspect that they'll just keep his voice lines but it's possible for them to change.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If it wasn't for marth being the original protag and big in *** I'd say Ike would be the last FE character to be cut, I don't expect any changes except more buffs, I'd love for his eruption to be changed to a projectile because Ragnell and it's a considerable weakness for Ike to not have one but that's wishful thinking. I also suspect that they'll just keep his voice lines but it's possible for them to change.
Yeahm, I sigh when I see Cloud use his projectile. :p

Gagnetar

Smash Journeyman
Yeahm, I sigh when I see Cloud use his projectile. :p
IKR I WAS SO PISSED, especially when they had them battle, they said for balancing reasons Ike doesn't have a projectile, but he's a heavyweight so he'd hardly be OP with just the ability, I'm happy for people who got Cloud he was a good choice but It still stings to see the radiant hero's mighty blade not do about the only thing it does, Roy was a clone so it makes sense he didn't his stuff, but yea Ike is the most popular character, even above Lyn and doesn't compete with anyone in his slot space, he's far too beloved to go anywhere.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I'm so glad Ike has been getting so much attention lately. He definitely deserves to stay along with Marth as the locked in FE reps.

Hopefully he gets some cool alternate costumes this time. It would be awesome if he got a full on Greil outfit and maybe the Black Knight's armour, as well as his Ranger and Lord outfits.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I want them to give Ike back his moves that he had from Brawl. The way they nerfed him in SSB4 made him no longer my main. Also, who else wants to see his character design, by which I mean skin design, from Brawl brought back. I liked the lean Ike more than the super-muscular Ike. It wouldn't be that hard to bring back his retro skin. And it would definitely please a lot of fans.

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
IKR I WAS SO PISSED, especially when they had them battle, they said for balancing reasons Ike doesn't have a projectile, but he's a heavyweight so he'd hardly be OP with just the ability, I'm happy for people who got Cloud he was a good choice but It still stings to see the radiant hero's mighty blade not do about the only thing it does, Roy was a clone so it makes sense he didn't his stuff, but yea Ike is the most popular character, even above Lyn and doesn't compete with anyone in his slot space, he's far too beloved to go anywhere.
I think both Ike and Cloud can exist with laser swords. I think comparing them would be like comparing Ness and Lucas' pk fire. As in, Ike's beam would have more "impact" and all around feel meatier.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Ike didn't get cut in Smash 4, there's no way they're taking him out now unless Sakurai decides to massively overhaul the roster, and given we know he dislikes cutting characters, I just don't see it.

That, plus there's no way IntSys wouldn't push considering how goddamn popular Ike still is.

That said, can we please, PLEASE give him the Ragnell beams this time, especially if Cloud gets the axe?

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
If Sakurai dips his toe into the Fire Emblem Heroes polls, he'd see Ike's still existent, and rather immense, popularity.

Ike NEEDS to stay. It would be a major travesty if he didn't. Besides, he's been in 2 Smash games, now, which gives him very strong veteran status. (And he's still my secondary after Cloud, whom I don't expect to return, which would make Ike my main again.)

I agree with the motion towards a hefty sword beam replacing Eruption. Let it be real strong and pass through multiple enemies.

Also, can we finally have him look like this:

In regards to the poll, I chose Jason over Greg. However, I don't mind Greg if Ike has to be given new voicework for any reason. Greg's proven himself to be a fine Ike, especially since he's been given nothing but good vocal direction, of which I cannot say the same for Jason whom had to make it through PoR, RD, Brawl, Codename S.T.E.A.M.(being the worst offender for Jason's direction. Granted, he hadn't done the character in like 8 or so years, but still), and Fates with their occasionally shaky vocal direction for him. (Fates wasn't so bad, it's just the sound balancing for Ike was utter crap; his delivery was solid when you could hear him, so that's a plus.)

Edit: I have a video of Ike's voice clips in Fates. I actually enjoy the range he gives Ike at times, makes him sound more relaxed and not always sounding the same as we hear him in Brawl and Sm4sh:

Edit 2: You know what? Just for comparison's sake, I'll put up some of Greg's work as well.

Last edited:

Daniee

Smash Cadet
Greg Chun's Ike sounds a bit like he has a cold but if they can fix that I'd be all for him replacing Jason Adkins in Smash.

If there's one other thing I'd like them to bring from FEH it's to have Radiant Aether as his Final Smash (the name is cooler and I just want his Final Smash to be better as I'm still kinda salty that Robin and Cloud basically have just a superior Great Aether lol)

As for his chances of coming back, well I was one of the few that believed he would return in Smash 4, and so now I have no doubts whatsoever. Even though Sakurai did think that Smash 4 had too many FE characters I still doubt he's gonna take a chainsaw to the lineup, and if we're going by recent polls done for FEH, Ike is THE most popular FE character period.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Greg Chun's Ike sounds a bit like he has a cold but if they can fix that I'd be all for him replacing Jason Adkins in Smash.

If there's one other thing I'd like them to bring from FEH it's to have Radiant Aether as his Final Smash (the name is cooler and I just want his Final Smash to be better as I'm still kinda salty that Robin and Cloud basically have just a superior Great Aether lol)

As for his chances of coming back, well I was one of the few that believed he would return in Smash 4, and so now I have no doubts whatsoever. Even though Sakurai did think that Smash 4 had too many FE characters I still doubt he's gonna take a chainsaw to the lineup, and if we're going by recent polls done for FEH, Ike is THE most popular FE character period.
Yeah I remember the early Smash 4 days. A lot thought he would be replaced by Chrom, but Ike stood strong.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
We like Ike!

Ike was my number 3 or 4 in Brawl. I loved his SSB4 redesign, and I hope he makes it back!

Troykv

Smash Master
If Ike doesn't appear in the next Smash for some reason, I would be shocked.

And I wouldn't avoid feeling the great irony in that possibility.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I hope they make changes to his side b and Aether. The hitboxes on those were pretty wonky IIRC.

Also, I'm in favor of Greg Chun Ike. I think he fits really well.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd like a blade beam to replace his counter. Outside of that all I want is a swole Ike, now that's a guy who fights for his friends.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Yeah I remember the early Smash 4 days. A lot thought he would be replaced by Chrom, but Ike stood strong.
Gonna be honest, I was one of those few.

Right at the end of Brawl's lifetime, I grew ultra fond of Ike. As I grew more attached to his character, I began to appreciate his Radiant Dawn design (which I originally disliked along with many other people). However, there came a point where I recognized that him becoming muscular like that only made sense. It was actually the greatest visual distinction of character growth for him. A distinction that I began to agree with wholeheartedly.

However, I also was unsure that Ike would stay in with the chance of Chrom replacing him.

Around the time in which Lucario was revealed for Sm4sh in the Pic of the Day, I finally and fully came around that I really wanted Ike in Sm4sh, and not just Ike, but Radiant Dawn Ike. I told this all to my best friend, and he agreed.

Skip forward a while, and we reach May 23rd, 2014. The Pic of the Day revealed Ike in all his swole glory.

My exact comment and response in that thread was this:

YEEEEESSSSS, The character I wanted the most to return HAS!!!

*EXPLODES*

We like Ike, we like Ike!
Of course, that was what I managed to type after flying away from my computer desk while hyperventilating.
Now, I was hyped for Sm4sh, but nothing and I mean NOTHING ever managed to top Ike's reveal for me.

And for me, Cloud's reveal was REALLY HYPE. I was more blown away from Cloud's reveal, but Ike's reveal truly rocked my world. I dedicated him as one of my main characters immediately from that moment. And to this day, he remains on my top 3 best Sm4sh characters: Cloud, Ike, and Ganondorf. Ike also has the "Most Play Time" hours on any single character.

But I was still a doubter. I was specifically a follower of the "Marth and the newest Lord" idea, and regardless of how I felt about that (I personally believed that Chrom would get in despite also telling my best friend that Robin would be a WAY better choice... oh the irony of that prediction) I couldn't shake that feeling, and still wanted Ike in.

But he got in, so I felt better about it. I'm pretty confident that he'll return for this one.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Ike's gotta come back, the only sword user I played (outside of cloud but I also suck at low recovery characters :()

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
BEST LORD EVER!!!

I got a Ike amiibo as my only amiibo and brought a amiibo reader for my 3DS JUST to have Ike as a unit in my Fire Emblem Revelation file.

FE9 and FE10 where also my favorite games... Can't wait till they remake those.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Also, Ike was the most voted male character for FE Heroes

He IS that popular!
I loved that they added blue flames to his Neutral B on SSB4! Hope he gets more changes too!

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
If you add up the split votes, he's the most popular character period.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Ike was mine favourite character in Smash 3 next to Zelda, and is mine co-main in Smash 4. Overall, I like what they did with him in Smash 4, in terms of physics. That said, I'm all for his return.

The only change I would like to see with Ike is his down-smash. I wish it worked similarly to Cloud's down-smash, in which the first hit drags the enemy into the second hit. As the move is now, up-smash is the better choice.

[EDIT] I wouldn't mind Greg Chun replacing Jason Adkins, though I won't be too upset if they reuse the old voice clips. Frankly, compared to Falco's voice acting in Smash 3, Ike's is top-notch.

And I have to agree with this:
Also, can we finally have him look like this:

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Ike was mine favourite character in Smash 3 next to Zelda, and is mine co-main in Smash 4. Overall, I like what they did with him in Smash 4, in terms of physics. That said, I'm all for his return.

The only change I would like to see with Ike is his down-smash. I wish it worked similarly to Cloud's down-smash, in which the first hit drags the enemy into the second hit. As the move is now, up-smash is the better choice.

And I have to agree with this:
And I thought the Vanguard Design would only be remember for the Cipher Cards... Heroes always find ways to surprise me.

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
And I thought the Vanguard Design would only be remember for the Cipher Cards... Heroes always find ways to surprise me.
And the best part is he is given away for free thanks to the anniversary poll. That coupled with the fact you get a free brave hero, you can start heroes with 2 Ikes. Though brave lyn is a better choice

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
And the best part is he is given away for free thanks to the anniversary poll. That coupled with the fact you get a free brave hero, you can start heroes with 2 Ikes. Though brave lyn is a better choice
It's fantastic, is it not?

On a side note, I've gotten more mileage out of Brave Ike than Brave Lyn. I tend to focus on more Enemy Phase oriented teams, which Brave Ike is better suited for. He also eats Reinhardt for breakfast.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Unless they reuse Brawl clips again, I think Ike will be voiced by Greg Chun since there's likely a reason Greg Chun has been chosen to voice Ike in Heroes in the first place, maybe they can't get Jason Adkins anymore.

Though I always found it mildly hilarious that Jason Adkins is more of an onscreen actor with his one voice acting role being Ike and every few years he'd be bugged to come voice this anime swordsman again.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Ike's been my main since Brawl, he's the best and there's no way he's getting cut.

I have no opinion on the VO change, but +1 to updating his outfit to his FEH look, because it's pretty awesome. Just leave his SM4SH RD look as an alt costume set.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Now, a question I'd like to propose:

Should Aether be able to heal Ike?

Personally, I don't think a little healing would break the game.
It would serve as a small buff for Ike, and considering that you're more likely to catch someone with the downward hit rather than the upward (which in the original games the first hit is the one that heals), it wouldn't be overpowered to heal just a little bit with it. You could also have the healing effect be able to stale the same way damage does.

Morbi

Scavenger
It would serve as a small buff for Ike, and considering that you're more likely to catch someone with the downward hit rather than the upward (which in the original games the first hit is the one that heals), it wouldn't be overpowered to heal just a little bit with it. You could also have the healing effect be able to stale the same way damage does.
So, in a word, yes? But seriously, I would not mind more healing options in the game. I am not sure why so many people believe it would be broken in a game as fast paced as Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now, a question I'd like to propose:

Should Aether be able to heal Ike?

Personally, I don't think a little healing would break the game.
Well, make it hard and true to his source; only if the first hit(s) fully connect. Also, the Luna part of Aether should be way stronger.

I was also pissed at how Cloud got the projectile Ike should've gotten, AND he was fast.

You guys remembered the comment about Ike's inclusion in Brawl how Sakurai purposefully kept the Ragnell's shockwave out, and made him slower so he wouldn't be "too powerful"?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I don't mind him being slower, if they can finally balance slower characters, but having some kind of shockwave would definitely help him out. I personally don't feel like Ike, or every FE character for that matter, needs the counter, so it could replace that, or it could be his counter and work as a bit of a reflector variation, where he'll counter attack with the shockwave to make countering projectile attacks worth it.

Just throwing out random ideas though.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They sort of gave Ike the shockwave in one of his Custom Moves with Aether. It kinda resembled Kirby's Up B because of that.

I always thought Eruption felt extremely forced on Ike, especially in Brawl when it was still red flames. It felt to me like a move that was one time intended for Roy, but since they scrapped Roy totally and couldn't give Ike the projectile, they gave the move to Ike.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Ike and Marth are my two lockins for FE reps.

Lucina: Clone
Robin: 5 years ago
Roy: 17 years ago
Corrin: Hated by both sides

Lucina will probably be either a low-effort clone like last time (which isn't bad, new playstyles for minimal resources) or just an alt for Marth since she is quite popular.
Roy's CYL 1 placement could be used as justification for a return, but I'm personally against it since he has no appeal to me.
Robin is a bit old now and could easily be replaced by Celica who would rep a recent and previously unrepresented game.
Corrin could be justified by repping dragons and Fates, but they're just so hated.

Marth is a staple and was in production for 64. Nuff said.

Ike is quite the special case. His debut was 10 years ago in Brawl as a promotion character, for games that really did not sell well. He's a "blue-haired, anime swordsman with a counter!" But he's by the most popular FE character in both Smash and the FE franchise itself. By combining split-votes in CYL 1 (which got 1st and 5th place) he's the most popular character by tens of thousands of points. I remember people playing Brawl not even knowing Marth existed on the roster, but loving Ike. After making a return in Smash 4 against the odds of Awakening or FE just getting 3 slots altogether, he made it.

Now there is no way Ike won't be in Smash 5. I just hope they change him up a bit for variance and balancing's sake. Give him a projectile or long-range attack. Ragnell is the "beam laser sword". Also, maybe give him Urvan, his father's axe. He can canonically use axes in his original games, and his CYL form in Heroes even features him using Urvan. Just something to spice up the whole "muh swords" thing.

Also, have you heard Greg Chun's cheesecake recipe reading? We need that in Smash.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Well considering how the first thing Sakurai said when the interviewer brought up corrin was that FE got far too much representation in smash 4 jumping from a mere 2 to present day 6 reps in the series. Someone has to get cut

FE Lock:
:4marth:

Anyone's Game:
:4corrinf::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy:

????:
:4myfriends:

It's tough to say if Ike is an actual lock in Smash.Bros considering how Roy got the axe in brawl; it really depends on how much popularity Ike has and wither that makes Sakurai consider Ike a "high" priority character. I mean look what happened to Mewtwo; got cut in brawl and didn't even make the initial roster despite being very popular. Sakurai could just overhaul the roster in which case Ike has a very high chance of getting cut.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, but Roy was cut two games ago now. And he was at once a full, and disfunctional Marth clone. Also his game got cancelled for international release. Roy had A LOT going against him. Ike doesn't. Ike remains as popular as ever, and his games are just about the most likely to be remade eventually because of it. The Tellius games where still the only FE console titles, and Ike is Lord of two games.

So yeah, I say he's pretty damn safe.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Ike is too popular and likable of a character to cut. I also think Ike's character means something in a way I don't think anyone has touched on yet, but he is so far the first and only main character who is not of noble birth or a lord or something along those lines. We are talking about this mercenary kid who made something out of himself through hard work and grinding. He wasn't born into high power like the others, he earned it, he wasn't born a noble. Just a mercenary who "fights for his friends." Not that I'm saying they will keep him for that reason, but I feel like it definitely helps a bit, and I'm sure it's part of the reason why his character is so likable and well received.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Ike is too popular and likable of a character to cut. I also think Ike's character means something in a way I don't think anyone has touched on yet, but he is so far the first and only main character who is not of noble birth or a lord or something along those lines. We are talking about this mercenary kid who made something out of himself through hard work and grinding. He wasn't born into high power like the others, he earned it, he wasn't born a noble. Just a mercenary who "fights for his friends." Not that I'm saying they will keep him for that reason, but I feel like it definitely helps a bit, and I'm sure it's part of the reason why his character is so likable and well received.
One of my favorite things about his character is the nature of his upbringing. It's just so different from everyone else's stories.

He had a strong upbringing, but it wasn't everything and it definitely didn't make him. Because of the huge power gap in the group after Greil's departure, Ike was left hanging having to pick up his father's scraps. And because he obviously couldn't fill his father's shoes, the company lost two of their stronger members; members that could've coached Ike through this point but didn't due to their own hubris and distaste for Ike's newbie-status. And the best part was they were right! He was a total noob at the beginning: impulsive, impatient, and not exceptional with the sword in anyway whatsoever.

Ike is pretty much the only character I know in Fire Emblem where nothing was handed to him. He had to work for everything he got. Only after he proved himself did he start getting the notoriety. I love the respect he was given in Radiant Dawn, as his own legend proceeded him and got him the treatment he deserved. I find it quite hilarious how Micaiah gets sick of hearing Sothe fanboy over Ike to the point that she underestimates him when the Dawn Brigade ends up opposing the Greil Mercenaries. Almost as if to rub it in Micaiah's face, Ike proves himself to be everything Sothe said he was and leads the Geril mercs to trash the brigade. They even "threatened" Sothe's life specifically and forced Micaiah to buckle like a twig under a hydraulic press.

Dang, Ike is too frigging cool to not include!

Last edited:
Top Bottom