• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Radiant Hero of Legend: Ike Thread

Who do you expect to voice Ike?

• Jason Adkins (Original voice)

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Greg Chun (Heroes)

Votes: 41 56.9%

• Total voters

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Once things are in a more finalized state on an easily accessible website, I may make another thread for it.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
Never thought I'd see the character that I based my username off of in Smash. Still never going to drop Ike though!!

So I have a question after watching a bunch of RavenKing's matches (I'm a fan now!). I see him and MKLeo pull off double nairs into fairs or uairs. I'm having a very hard time doing this. I've only been successful a handful of times in training mode. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this consistently?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
There's a few things that can help you:

1. If you want to maximize your combo time, you want to land with the attack. This might require fastfalling earlier than you're comfortable with. Doing this also lets you use the max horizontal range of nair, instead of coming in at more diagonal angles. For the basic combo, you don't need to worry about this much, but for the ladders, it's important.

2. Practice following DI. Typically, you should just expect DI away, but you should be prepared for the occasional DI in without second guessing yourself.

3. Just gotta keep playing and once you get it down a few times, keep trying to do it that way until you can refine it.

Arrei

Smash Lord
So I was browsing hitboxes when I came across this:

What in the world happened here? Aether's descending hitbox is small to the point it doesn't even cover all of Ragnell's blade, while Soaring Slash was given a new, bigger hitbox twice the size of Falchion's blade. This hitbox didn't spike in previous games, so they had to have made edits to it when designing this game... but they made a whole new, bigger one for Soaring Slash while leaving Aether's old size data intact or something?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Pretty much. I recall that aether spiked the whole way through in Brawl, and they just removed it for smash 4 and brought it back for Ultimate. Outside of uair, Ike's hitboxes in general aren't as great as one might think. He actually has trouble getting fully outranged by a decent portion of the cast, or have a small range difference for a vast difference in attack speed.

IIRC, there are hitbox issues on these moves as well:
  • Angled Ftilt - no hitbox at the tip
  • Utilt - Arm is a massive hurtbox
  • Dsmash - Paper thin hitbox removed the ability to 2-frame
  • Usmash - Issues hitting diagonally in front, sometimes gets the sourspot at max range behind him.
  • Dair - No hitbox at the tip
  • Fair - Awkward hitting opponents diagonally below
  • Bair - Very high landing detection makes it difficult to hit grounded opponents
  • Aether - Blind spot directly above and diagonally above him. (compared to previous games)
  • Counter attack - I am not certain why, but it's indescribably more difficult to land this move properly.
  • Jab and grab - Enough's been said about these.
The only attack whose hitboxes feel much improved without being changed into a completely different move is quick draw.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So I was browsing hitboxes when I came across this:

What in the world happened here? Aether's descending hitbox is small to the point it doesn't even cover all of Ragnell's blade, while Soaring Slash was given a new, bigger hitbox twice the size of Falchion's blade. This hitbox didn't spike in previous games, so they had to have made edits to it when designing this game... but they made a whole new, bigger one for Soaring Slash while leaving Aether's old size data intact or something?
Privilege my man.

Chrom gets to be a cool swordie with good to great moves in every category and Ike gets to use nair and only nair. Feels bizarre they traded Ike's one trick for another instead making him an all around good character.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Privilege my man.

Chrom gets to be a cool swordie with good to great moves in every category and Ike gets to use nair and only nair. Feels bizarre they traded Ike's one trick for another instead making him an all around good character.
I dunno man, I don't feel like that's a great argument to make when Chrom's just the third character to rip off Marth's moves, which are themselves typically a solid kit.

Given that a lot of major patches have been giving buffs to characters that didn't really need them, such as Yink and Samus this last patch, I'm holding out hope that Ike being untouched since the Aethercide patch just means he's waiting in line for his own rebalance.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Seems like this patch aimed to give Ike some buffs and rebalances to make him less "Nair: The Character"?

Nair combos still work at the damage racking range, Nair Bair still works for kills, and Nair to double jump Uair still works, but at an earlier percent for a much tighter window. Dtilt has Fair and Bair followups, while putting opponents in a much more precarious spot for Uair and even Nair kills, even though it doesn't seem to have any window for a true combo without platforms. Nair has enough knockback to kill airborne opponents if you need an F10 upward hitbox... or are stuck fishing for stray killmove hits on grounded opponents at over 150 percent, I suppose. And Fair shaving off some endlag makes it a crucial amount less awkward to use without landing.

At first glance I think they've finally fixed Aether conceptually, as well? It can no longer clank so using it to armor through an overly-aggressive opponent actually works, and the final hit now boasts moderate kill-move knockback, giving it strong potential as a risky but rewarding anti-air... but I suspect opponents will still fail to get caught in it with frustrating frequency.

Now I just wish they could make Utilt less atrocious.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's about time they took a look at Mr. Nair lol.

I'm hoping these buffs/nerfs pan out for a more flexible and multi-faceted character that's also good, but who knows.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
There's more opportunity for some low % cheese for sure. It'll take some time to figure out some of the more subtle effects from all these changes.

DrKatz

Smash Cadet
Sorry all, it’s been a good run. Ike’s an amazing character. But it’s time to embrace the one winged angel.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Hi Guys, its been a while since I last saw this thread, but I got back into smash and would like to ask for some advice on how to deal with cross-ups, specifically cross-ups done by short characters like pikachu and mario. When they nair through the top side of Ike's sheild and land behind him, they have basically zero endlag and continue with their shield pressure or mix up grabs. What can Ike do against this kind of cross-up pressure?

Thanks!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Hi Guys, its been a while since I last saw this thread, but I got back into smash and would like to ask for some advice on how to deal with cross-ups, specifically cross-ups done by short characters like pikachu and mario. When they nair through the top side of Ike's sheild and land behind him, they have basically zero endlag and continue with their shield pressure or mix up grabs. What can Ike do against this kind of cross-up pressure?

Thanks!
Hey! Some of the better attacks that can multihit tend to have a bit more landing lag. While Ike can't necessarily punish these, he can use the negative frames on hit to setup his own offense or easily reposition to a better spot while resetting to neutral.

If they aren't multihit, Ike can punish rising aerials pretty easily with aether out of shield (you can let go of shield to make the input easier). You can also drop shield into turnaround dtilt for a slightly slower, but less committal option, and occasionally bair depending on their floatiness.

If they are falling from above, you can abuse aether's 5frame super armor to armor through their attack and hit them. It depends on how telegraphed they are before hitting you. Any obvious attack can be armored through this way.

It's also good to not shield at all, and to utilize movement to whiff punish. Ike's quick draw is a solid punish tool if you can bait a non-shield option from the opponent.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thanks San. BTW I came across a video where I saw your Ike vs Perkinips' Mario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznUzZ1orMM

This video really showed me how well you utilized Ike's movements to keep out of Mario's traps, and then punish him on his slip ups. Major props to your Ike gameplay!
Pretty impressed you were able to find it, glad you're still around enjoying the game!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Nintendo Game of the Week Thread is currently talking about Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Since it's Ike's debut game, I thought you guys might be interested in joining us. We'll welcome you!

Top Bottom