• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R***.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
oh. cuz theres someone that looks exactly like me and is named kurt(my name also) thats from the netherlands. yep i have an exact double and i need to find him. i call him euro-kurt lol.

on topic- **** is ideal lol

`DNS`

Smash Lord
LOL I play call of duty and you don't hear **** you hear **** YOU STUPID SCRUB YOU SUCK *** I ****ED YOUR MOTHER (and about 200 more mother jokes) and I"LL KICK YOUR *** IN REAL LIFE HAHAAHA
hah whenever i play anything on xbl that's what it is

it's also always 12 year olds

holypho

Smash Apprentice
Alot of new good ones and alot of really bad ones lol, I like get wrecked, probably be using that one. ^^

Stev

Smash Ace
The reason why **** works so well is because there's no other 1 syllable word that carries as much destruction with it. I'm all for pillaging tho!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah, on a serious note, "get wrecked" is probably the next most common. At least from what i've seen.

Then theres HMW who says "get whooped" which sounds hilarious.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I dont think **** was or is authenticated by the smash communty i was using it in my clique way before i knew this community existed. **** i bet some off yall used before now too.
Out of the general realistic situational factor its a funny *** word short sweet and to the point. even though we use it in simular connotations it fits the situation so well. It like when some people complain about people using curse words and state that they are immature. I use what fits the situation and believe you me **** fits alot of situations in life.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"wrecked" "destroyed" "wrecked thier day" "Ruined thier day"

Terms that are there already. Borrow from the Marvel community. "Blue like cotton candy" "Pringles" "R. Kelly'd" "violated" (LOL)

There are plenty of alternatives that are out there.
"Mustache" "Scoops" "Hagen Dasz"

The marvel community is hilerious :B

Signia

Smash Lord
I was playin SoulcaliburIV online with a kid with a 2bar connection Maxi and he kept yellin "get smashed." Maybe we should try that

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
no1 says "get owned" or "get pwned". no1 has said that in years. It just sounds wierd in my head and out loud. *****, f***ed, s*** on, gettin off, etc etc are all terms used now, if you dont like them, play final fantasy.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
**** is so satisfying to say though!

sometimes i replace it with "getting f***'d" which definitely is not a solution :bee:

Derkis

Smash Cadet
**** is a horribly ugly word, and to pretend like its serious connotations don't exist because 'the community' agrees its use is acceptable is completely irresponsible -- you're passing on the blame so you don't have to hold yourself accountable for YOUR actions. To argue that there's no reason to stop saying it because other communities may not follow suit is guilty of the same crime. No sort positive change would ever occur if nobody took the leadership role.

The same is true of the word 'gay'. Someone in this thread suggested that people should just "forget" about the actual meaning of the word gay and accept it as a generic insult. How is that even possible? The word 'gay' IS THE NAME applied to the "gay community." It's use as an insult is and will continue to be disrespectful and insensitive, and to believe otherwise is a delusion.

Ultimately, it's up to you whether or not you continue to use these words -- but at least take responsibility for it instead blaming someone else or validating it by saying that it shouldn't offend people, it does. You can trivialize this as being "Super-PC" or by claiming that "they're just words," but would you walk up to a member of the "gay community," a **** victim, or an African-American and use the corresponding term, even in jest? Words are never "just words", and their other, generally-understood associations won't just evaporate because you want to add a new, "non-hateful" definition. If that's really your only motivation why not just choose a new word?.

If you want to encourage a growing, friendly, and welcoming scene, then think about how the Smash community would appear to an outsider. Or, how somebody interested in participating might feel alienated if they were in fact gay, etc. and heard these words being tossed around like they're nothing.

th0rn

Smash Lord
**** is a horribly ugly word, and to pretend like its serious connotations don't exist because 'the community' agrees its use is acceptable is completely irresponsible -- you're passing on the blame so you don't have to hold yourself accountable for YOUR actions. To argue that there's no reason to stop saying it because other communities may not follow suit is guilty of the same crime. No sort positive change would ever occur if nobody took the leadership role.

The same is true of the word 'gay'. Someone in this thread suggested that people should just "forget" about the actual meaning of the word gay and accept it as a generic insult. How is that even possible? The word 'gay' IS THE NAME applied to the "gay community." It's use as an insult is and will continue to be disrespectful and insensitive, and to believe otherwise is a delusion.

Ultimately, it's up to you whether or not you continue to use these words -- but at least take responsibility for it instead blaming someone else or validating it by saying that it shouldn't offend people, it does. You can trivialize this as being "Super-PC" or by claiming that "they're just words," but would you walk up to a member of the "gay community," a **** victim, or an African-American and use the corresponding term, even in jest? Words are never "just words", and their other, generally-understood associations won't just evaporate because you want to add a new, "non-hateful" definition. If that's really your only motivation why not just choose a new word?.

If you want to encourage a growing, friendly, and welcoming scene, then think about how the Smash community would appear to an outsider. Or, how somebody interested in participating might feel alienated if they were in fact gay, etc. and heard these words being tossed around like they're nothing.

Cool story bro

`DNS`

Smash Lord
^^ROFL I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING

Also @derkis yes I would say "that's gay" in front of a gay person.

Sorry for not discriminating.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i

words really are just symbols lol that are given meaning by humans. they have no initial base defintion. Really gay meant happy at one point.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
inB4wouldyousaythen-wordinfrontofablackperson
Really though, unless I was his friend I probably wouldn't. It's a bit different.. I wouldn't call a gay person "f-cking f-g" either.
Gay is fine, **** is fine.. there is a limit to what's acceptable but I don't think <<< surpass it

QERB

Banned via Warnings
As long as you're certain the person you're talking to won't get offended, it should be fine to say whatever. If you're not sure, don't risk it.

vZakat

Half Genie

You've had an account for over a year and this is the first time you've posted. That's awesome. :)

Derkis

Smash Cadet
..,yes I would say "that's gay" in front of a gay person.

Sorry for not discriminating.
You may be indiscriminate in your use of the word gay, since you use it regardless of company, but by virtue of the word's meaning within our culture you are discriminating in its use.

Masmasher@ said:
words really are just symbols lol that are given meaning by humans. they have no initial base defintion. Really gay meant happy at one point.
You're absolutely correct -- first with the whimsical/happy definition. Then it became both an identifier for homosexuality and was used disparagingly by non-homosexuals on account of the cultural stigma that went along with being gay. Notice that none of these have fallen into total disuse (the first perhaps partially). So, even though you may not harbor any prejudices against homosexuals, by applying the word to things you don't like ("that move is gay") you are recalling the history of discrimination (which extends to the present). Not only that, but it reinforces a negative association with a word which denotes (and will continue to) someone's sexual preference, which is unjust.

So while you're right, if you use that concept to defend the use of "gay" in this manner you're cherry-picking the definition which is convenient for you.

vZakat said:
You've had an account for over a year and this is the first time you've posted. That's awesome.
Aye, well I don't know enough about Melee to be anything but an annoying scrub in actual game discussion. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
macd definitely knows he plays gay and i think i recall him saying 'i have to play gayer' when games got rough

im not even sure if hes really gay ahha im just assuming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom