• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Uair mystery!

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
I posted this video up to let people know how much R.O.B.'s Uair can actually do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNPk7lmQFQ

Unsweetspotted: 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3 --> 19%
Sweetspotted: 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 3 --> 23%

In the video however, the fourth hitbox did 6% instead of 5%...

After a little *ahem* confrontation with Tommy over at the Aib ROB forums, we came to the conclusion that an undefined element caused this increase in damage. Any guesses on what happened in the video?

Current theories are:
- A hidden sweetspot
- Fractional %'s adding up to an extra 1%
- Glitch
- God's divine intervention

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Pretty interesting. What I find myself doing the most with U-air nowadays is trying to make contact with every hit but the last (to keep from causing knockback) and then following up with another U-air or U-tilt or something. This generally racks up 30+ dmg.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
reckon its percentage, but if its done from 0% then it cant be true.

however...if it was found in a normal brawl then the one used in video could be one motch stale, which can alter the damage as little as 1% in multi-hit movs, might want to check it again, t0mmy's data is probably right in this case

stingers

Smash Obsessed
um, it might have to do with the fact he was charging a smash. when a character is charging a smash, it's a known fact that kb increases, but maybe it affects damage dealt as well.

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
@Golden-psyco I have no idea what you just said, sorry. Can you elaborate?

@stingers "when a character is charging a smash, it's a known fact that kb increases" Not that I don't believe you but where did you learn this from?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Once I saw a video of a ROB killing Falco with 80%(charging an Usmash) with Dsmash, lol.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I tried that too stingers, but I could never get 24. I also tried using other moves, like nair while snake charged a fsmash but it always did 10%, never 11+

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
I tried that too stingers, but I could never get 24. I also tried using other moves, like nair while snake charged a fsmash but it always did 10%, never 11+
Did you try this out in training mode by any chance? Going back to fractional damage, I heard it doesn't apply in training mode so we would need to test it in a multiplayer mode.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Why don't you replicate the situation? Have someone as marth chill and charge a smash an U-air him.

Stingers that was a very good point, I heard about that AGES ago and forgot about it till now.

Once I saw a video of a ROB killing Falco with 80%(charging an Usmash) with Dsmash, lol.
IDK that was probably still just bad DI, they state in the thread Stingers polsted that "it only increases the KB of the first hit of a multi hit attack", so it would only make sense if the falco only came in contact with the end of the D-smash.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i meant that when you looked at that video, it was in-game, there was a chance that r.o.b's u-air has been used once in the last 10 moves that hit something, so it was slightly, ever-so-slightly stale

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Wait, I'm confused. And what is "KB"?
So if a character charges a Smash attack, and the other hits the character while charging, it does more damage? =S

stingers

Smash Obsessed
when something is staled it doesn't always decrease. I think DDD's dthrow stale increases KB (but by the smallest, most unnoticeable amount).

It was most likely damage fractions. It didn't even have to be fractions from the UAir itself. It's very possible that it could have carried over from other attacks. Hidden sweetspots don't seem likely, as every move in every iteration of Smash has 1 sweetspot per hitbox afaik.

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
so it would only make sense if the falco only came in contact with the end of the D-smash.
Which is impossible because the Falco has to be charging a smash which means he's stationary and cannot go to the R.O.B. to get hit... Unless the ROB somehow slides to him :\

It was most likely damage fractions. It didn't even have to be fractions from the UAir itself.
If it was fractions, it had to be from the uair... because the damage came from the uair. There's no other way >,>

Fractional damage carries over from attacks, even after KOs, because it is set into a "queue". So say you Naired to KO, and it sent 1/5% into the queue. If You sweetspot UAired as soon as the other guy's respawn invincibility wore off, and each hit from UAir added an additional .20% to the queue, by the time the fourth hitbox rolled in, the fractions would have added together to give that extra 1%.

However, this is all just an example. We don't have damage data into the decimals for ROB's attacks, so they could deal totally different bits of damage. I'm just trying to show you what I meant.

luckylime

Smash Apprentice
Even with hacking the game though, I don't think there's a way to show the fractional damage is there? Which means all data has to come from tests, and even then will be theoretical =_=

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Charging smashs doesn't seem like it improves dmg in the vids from Stingers quote.

TL still did 17% with his dmg and 1 hit KO MK.

Samus did 16% with her Dsmash for a KO G&W.

Of course these attacks could be staled and then boosted....

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Oh, okay. Thanks for the answers, and this is very intresting, but I think t0mmy has the answer on AiB.

Even with hacking the game though, I don't think there's a way to show the fractional damage is there? Which means all data has to come from tests, and even then will be theoretical =_=
Attack > Refresh > Repeat > Divide by however many times you attacked.

Melee Samus boards have decimal per cents.

In fact, I think I'll do that tomorrow.

Top Bottom