• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B Stage Discussion. Currently Retrospecting!

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Feel free to discuss any stage at any time, the title is used to encourage initial discussion.
| FD Comments: Depends on your playstyle . The lack of platforms gives us a less options when recovering. The removal of platforms also gives the opponent less opportunity to avoid projectiles. Defensive play recommended.
| Battlefield Comments: Less stage control, more Fair chains . The platforms gives the opponent more options, meaning less stage control. However, we can carry people across the stage with Fair and uair easily. Offensive play recommended.
| Town & City Comments: Best of both worlds . T&C is Smashville's less popular step brother, but the stage is designed to give the best of both BF and FD. You can suicide throw on this stage if you wait for the platforms to move from under you.
| Smashville Comments: Better FD . MU dependent, but in most cases better than Final Destination. Platforms helps our recovery while not hindering zoning. Ban vs Sheik. You can suicide throw on this stage if you wait for the platforms to move from under you.
| Lylat Cruise Comments: Practice this stage . This stage is incredibly weird, but if you practice it, it has more pros than cons. The slanting doesn't really mess with our recovery, but we can u throw suicide. We can shoot the gyro right infront of us and then pick it up. Not the best, but bring it out occasionally. You can suicide throw on this stage if you throw right before the stage tilts.
| Duckhunt Comments: Great for jank and camping . This stage has all the jank that R.O.B needs. Ducks don't mess with Gyro and our laser goes through them. Side bush is perfect height for uthrow. Dog helps us kill with beep boop earlier, as well as with the tree to the left. The side blast zones are the same as FD when compared to the edge, it seems closer than it is. Left tree is good for camping against characters with bad/linear recoveries.
| Halberd Comments: Abuse that ceiling . Halberd has the lowest ceiling of all the legal stages, which is great since R.O.B kills vertically. You can also shark on one of the transformations. You can use the laser to create space between you and the opponent. Ban this stage vs. characters that have better vertical kill power than you (ZSS, Rosa, etc)
| Delfina Plaza Comments: Very MU Dependent . Similar to Halberd, this stage is generally good for us. Allowing us to kill off the top earlier if in the middle of a transformation, and to shark on most transformations. Some transformations are hit and miss. However, not being able to land well can hurt us very much on this stage, such as vs. ZSS and RosaLuma. The Pillars transformation is very helpful for camping, but we do have a hard time getting out of water.
| Castle Siege Comments:
| Dreamland Comments: You can suicide throw on this stage if this wind is blowing as you're in the animation.

Here is an album of the stages if you want them for reference. All pics are taken from www.ssbwiki.com/stage[/B]

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'll start us off for this week, with FD!

F.D - Since the stage is flat, it makes our projectiles a lot more effective. The stage is very big, so we have a lot of opportunity to wall people out. However, since the stage is also big underneath, we're very susceptible to stage spikes. We need to make sure to mix up recovery.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
I promised my thoughts (feel free to disagree whatever, this is from my own exp)
Pros
-lots of space
good for characters that you need the camp out to win, I'll usually try to take heavies or characters who struggle with projectiles here because there is not much they can do, gyro can become quite an issue for your opponent since there is nothing around they can use to get over it and will have to react.

Cons
-high ceiling
most of ROB's kills come vertically, the higher ceiling makes uthrow, usmash and uair, our best killers, a bit harder to kill with as you'll need more %
-No platforms
I think it may vary by ROB user but I am a ROB that enjoys platforms, it helps to assist with my landings, break a few combos, shoot stuff off of, move around more, get closer to the upper blast line for uthrow kills and even get a few of my own combos starting.
When I get combo'd on FD, I usually get combo'd very hard with nothing to break me flying around all over the place. Landing on fg is also very difficult I've found. My opponents usually chase me and the only safe place is to aim for the ledge it feels, which can get predictable. Platforms make it slightly easier to land knowing my opponent will have to work to get to them and I have time to land somewhere else or on the platform if they dont come after me.
-all that space makes zoning rather predictable
While you can zone pretty well here, you can only fire your projectiles straight and cant fire off other stage parts your opponent may not see coming. You have to be smart with your projectiles, get too predictable and they'll shield your stuff often and slowly approach.
-it encourages campy behavior from opponent
another personal one for me that may vary by ROB, but sometimes I struggle with people who will gladly run to one side of the stage and sit there most the match (prob why I hate fg lol). I like to use platforms to get in on a campy opponent better. Your opponent has alot of space also and can easily run from you if they so need to and you may get stuck on approaching them.

Usually I ALWAYS ban this stage against
-fast characters
-characters with heavy projectile usage
-combo heavy characters

I will maybe leave it as an option vs
-heavy characters (except ROB)
-characters who cant do much against my projectiles (like marth)

as for my final thoughts, FD imo is one of ROB's worst stages and 9/10 times I will ban it on instinct, with no platforms to assist your landings and combos, getting combo'd, high ceilings, and a bit too much space to be comfortable with sometimes encouraging my opponent to camp me out, it's honestly never a go to stage for me unless it vs a character like bowser or something that I have to keep out or risk a hard blow to the face.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
thnx based GwJ
I promised my thoughts (feel free to disagree whatever, this is from my own exp)
Pros
-lots of space
good for characters that you need the camp out to win, I'll usually try to take heavies or characters who struggle with projectiles here because there is not much they can do, gyro can become quite an issue for your opponent since there is nothing around they can use to get over it and will have to react.

Cons
-high ceiling
most of ROB's kills come vertically, the higher ceiling makes uthrow, usmash and uair, our best killers, a bit harder to kill with as you'll need more %
-No platforms
I think it may vary by ROB user but I am a ROB that enjoys platforms, it helps to assist with my landings, break a few combos, shoot stuff off of, move around more, get closer to the upper blast line for uthrow kills and even get a few of my own combos starting.
When I get combo'd on FD, I usually get combo'd very hard with nothing to break me flying around all over the place. Landing on fg is also very difficult I've found. My opponents usually chase me and the only safe place is to aim for the ledge it feels, which can get predictable. Platforms make it slightly easier to land knowing my opponent will have to work to get to them and I have time to land somewhere else or on the platform if they dont come after me.
While you can zone pretty well here, you can only fire your projectiles straight and cant fire off other stage parts your opponent may not see coming. You have to be smart with your projectiles, get too predictable and they'll shield your stuff often and slowly approach.
another personal one for me that may vary by ROB, but sometimes I struggle with people who will gladly run to one side of the stage and sit there most the match (prob why I hate fg lol). I like to use platforms to get in on a campy opponent better. Your opponent has alot of space also and can easily run from you if they so need to and you may get stuck on approaching them.

-fast characters
-combo heavy characters

as for my final thoughts, FD imo is one of ROB's worst stages and 9/10 times I will ban it on instinct, with no platforms to assist your landings and combos, getting combo'd, high ceilings, and a bit too much space to be comfortable with sometimes encouraging my opponent to camp me out, it's honestly never a go to stage for me unless it vs a character like bowser or something that I have to keep out or risk a hard blow to the face.
This was an answer that surprised me at first, you make a lot of good points. I guess I just haven't thought too deeply into stage picks. I do think you overplay it's downsides, though. You are right that the lack of platforms hurts us, but I think it hurts the opponent more. A laser covers most (If charged, all) standing options, forcing them to either shield or jump. If the top is on the ground, there only option is to pick it up, run up and shield it, roll, or jump over it. All of these give us some opportunity to punish.

For characters that have more options or projectiles like Villager and Link, I think we should stay away from this stage. 9 times out of 10 I think it's either a neutral or advantageous stage.

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
Pros
-lots of space

Cons
-high ceiling
-No platforms

-fast characters
-combo heavy characters

I concur with almost everything this man said about the stage. He echoes my sentiments almost 100%. My notes below (some of which will echo what @ Breadbot Breadbot already mentioned. I enjoy platformed stages myself (T&C is probably my fav stage overall, with SV and BF coming in close ties for 2nd).

FEATURES:
  • Lots of Space:
    • + This can be great against slow/heavy characters such as Bowser, DK, etc... or characters that lack a solid projectile / anti-projectile game. It being flat forces characters to approach in a limited, linear fashion.
    • - This can be a negative against fast characters, especially those that can rack up damage somewhat quickly and efficiently, as if they want to go the timeout route, this stage gives them a great option to do so. Its barren layout forces limited approach options, while enabling them to use their speed to create distance relatively easily & safely.
    • - Really don't like this stage vs. Fox as he can string an AA combo for days and end with a U-smash.
  • No Platforms:
    • + A lack of platforms can help ROB vs. characters who excel in the utilization of platforms to get combos going, or continue them... as well as those with great platform pressure moves that may not be combo-starters.
    • + Good with characters who have limited approach options and/or rely on a less linear approach.
    • + Helps us prevent some characters from landing as well, but I overall think that more chars benefit from it than we do.
    • - It becomes super hard to land vs. a lot of characters such as DK & Bowser due their up+B's, DeDeDe due to gordos/tilts/dash attack & aerials, Little Mac due to his good "burst" potential, SA on smashes, and good ground range. There's many more characters that I could put here.
    • Combo heavy characters can really chain ROB across the stage at will.
    • - Disables U-tilt pokes from underneath platforms to get combos started, U-airs, and U-Smash Platform Techroll punishes for KOs. Couple that with the a higher ceiling and it makes getting KO's super hard sometimes.
    • - It makes getting in on characters who are campy, or who have the lead, or who are content with just chilling out on the opposite end of FD a lot more difficult as you lack the height variation to throw off projectile spamming, as well as having a more linear approach.
    • - Can actually detract from our camping/zoning game due to how linear it forces us to utilize it. If someone can powershiled about 20-30% of our projectiles and successfully shield an additional 30-40% (which is easier to do on FD, imo due to the lack of platforms), it renders that facet of our game much less effective.
    • - Boosts other chars edgeguarding game significantly (Villager, for example).
I strike this versus characters like Little Mac, Sonic, Fox, PacMan, Villager.. really, the list goes on and on. I almost never cp it unless its vs. someone who is slow, can't combo/chase, and who struggles with projectiles. In fact, I will usually ban this stage out of instinct as well, especially if I've lost the first game & won the 2nd. I don't think its a great ROB stage. At best it may give us a SLIGHT advantage (based mostly on player comfort/preference), and at worst its rather disadvantageous. I feel ROB has consistently worse times on this stage versus most of the cast than most of the other stages. If I were to rate it on a scale of 1-10 (1 being worst stage on the list for ROB, 5 being average/very MU dependent/player preference, and 10 being an amazing stage for ROB that I'd be sad if it was banned vs. me) I'd put it at a 3.

Jaaahsh

Smash Cadet
Cons
-high ceiling
It was my understanding that, in terms of the normal "starter" stages (FD, BF, Smashville, T&C, Lylat), FD's ceiling is the same distance away as it is on the main platforms for Smashville and Lylat (and that Battlefield's is higher and T&C's is lower). Is it merely because FD has no platforms (which create the illusion of a more distance vertical blast zone) that we'd consider it to have a "high" ceiling even though its no higher than most?

With full disclosure: the testing done to determine stage heights that I saw the results of may have been faulty. The tester fully charged an upsmashed on a Jigglypuff as Ganondorf from the center of the main platforms in training mode and recorded what percentages she died at. FD, Smashville and Lylat all recorded 38% (as did Duck Hunt and, of course, every Omega), whereas T&C recorded 37% and Battlefield recorded 41%.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Those were some good notes on BF, guys. I'll definitely consider it more in the future, although I still prefer FD.

I feel with this discussion, it was mostly platforms vs no platforms. Do you think we could just fill out the BF row with this discussion to, or do you guys have more to say on that?

Last edited:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
It was my understanding that, in terms of the normal "starter" stages (FD, BF, Smashville, T&C, Lylat), FD's ceiling is the same distance away as it is on the main platforms for Smashville and Lylat (and that Battlefield's is higher and T&C's is lower). Is it merely because FD has no platforms (which create the illusion of a more distance vertical blast zone) that we'd consider it to have a "high" ceiling even though its no higher than most?

With full disclosure: the testing done to determine stage heights that I saw the results of may have been faulty. The tester fully charged an upsmashed on a Jigglypuff as Ganondorf from the center of the main platforms in training mode and recorded what percentages she died at. FD, Smashville and Lylat all recorded 38% (as did Duck Hunt and, of course, every Omega), whereas T&C recorded 37% and Battlefield recorded 41%.
If this data is to be trusted, then FD & SV are the same. I am curious though, as he alluded to a "diagnal KO" percentage (assuming either with DI, or the trajectory of the move) that may result in FD's "diagnals" being larger than SV. Even disregarding that, I kind of take into account that there is a platform on SV that will aid in getting kills (either we U-throw from the platform, U-smash from it, or use the platform as a launchpad for a jump->Uair), thus, as you said, creating an "illusion" of a higher ceiling. Of course, that is under the assumption that the data Ive seen on the ceilings is accurate in depicting FDs and SVs as equal.

Those were some good notes on FD, guys. I'll definitely consider it more in the future, although I still prefer FD.

I feel with this discussion, it was mostly platforms vs no platforms. Do you think we could just fill out the BF row with this discussion to, or do you guys have more to say on that?
While a lot of information can be transposed to the BF section, there are a few notes to consider that I'll elaborate on sometime this week when I get the chance. I'd also consider opening the discussion to it specifically for anyone else to contribute additional notes/spark conversation.

Plus, we really need to settle on a "strike to/stay away from, ban vs, CP vs" list of chars for FD before I'd consider it closed. To me, that's the most important part of a stage discussion. While I admit I didn't really elaborate on it myself, thats mostly bc I find myself preferring things a lot different than most ROBs in many ways, so I was afraid that if I was the only one who contributed such that the info would be taken as representative of the char & its MUs as opposed to my sometimes bizarre preferences.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I've had tournaments that include Pokemon Stadium 2, Wuhu Island, Skyloft and Windy Hill zone. Those are a stretch for most tournaments, but some have larger stagelists, so we should include them. We could also include some of the 3ds stages such as Prism Tower, Yoshi's Island and Arena Ferox.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I've had tournaments that include Pokemon Stadium 2, Wuhu Island, Skyloft and Windy Hill zone. Those are a stretch for most tournaments, but some have larger stagelists, so we should include them. We could also include some of the 3ds stages such as Prism Tower, Yoshi's Island and Arena Ferox.
Not going to include 3DS stages, but I will add all those Wii U stages except WHZ.

Added Wuhu, Skyloft, and PS2. If it is requested, I'll add those 3DS stages. If Smash 4 ever gets an official ruleset, we'll use those stages.

I figured that since I'm too new to add much to the discussion myself, I'll just throw a bunch of videos in your faces. Here are some videos on R.O.B playing on F.D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3b8CrN96Ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbJbjA__Ucg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEyWH9sZIo0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1iRyaJ5Nc
The next few vids are actually Omega stages, but the principal is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Mhiacriug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUuDE5efgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07Fyzj6N5Y

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
FD may be the third or fourth worst stage for ROB overall in the meta.
The problem isn't landing or combos. We can meet that on a lot of stages, so it's not so important.

The biggest problem is the fact that without platform we can't escape pressure without doing a bet. We use our projectile to force approach because we can, it's a comfortable position. But when the opponent manage to break in, we can only roll, attack or jump over the head. And these three options are kinda terrible. This makes FD really bad, and actually i think it's among the worst stage of the game for like everyone with few exceptions.
Also the understage is kinda bad for rob, it doesn't give the protection some stages give.

It's All Fiction

Smash Rookie
ROB definitely benefits here in terms of his camp game, but his mobility options are limited, which for a heavy combo-meat (Combo-plastic?) character like ROB makes it very difficult in many match-ups. As long as you are able to maintain space, you will be fine, but rush-downs with good mobility tools (Sonic etc) will be troublesome. Other characters like Villager and Duck Hunt who will out camp you aren't fun either.

Once an opponent starts adapting to your projectiles (or just happens to have good experience in the match-up), things become somewhat difficult as your approach options really require some good reads or just really creative gyroing/lasering mix-ups to break neutral.

While FD isn't a bad stage, it makes you very vulnerable and limits your options. The higher ceiling also makes your kill potential not as strong. While a good b-throw to laser, bair, or fair train off the side can net a kill, they are much less consistent that up-anything. (Oh why did they have to nerf ROB's up-throw).

If you are going to an Omega, I prefer to go to ones without bottoms just to make sure my opponent cant tech a wall. Recovering for me is usually fine. If I smell a shark coming I just recover wide and high and fast fall a nair or dair to mix-up my momentum and hopefully not get juggled. (God bless ROBs amazing recovery)

It's not entirely crippling, but there's no reason to pick this stage over another unless the match-up makes platforms not worth your time (Shulk)

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Any final comments? I'll edit the OP and start battlefield tomorrow, sorry for being late. I've been busy and kinda forgot this thread existed.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Thread is updated. I know you all had to say a lot about BF, so go ahead! If you guys have a better TL;DR for FD go ahead and tell me.

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
IT'S TIME

MAH STAGE BOTS, MAH STAGE

this stage seems to have a divide between ROBs I've noticed, some ROBs love it to death, others...ehh not so much
but anyway, pros and cons time in my opinion~
feel free to agree disagree, ect

Pros
-FLIPPING, PLATFORMS
the platforms are what makes this stage so awesome, the way they are arranged makes you able to fair larger opponents across the stage and allow for other combos to link up super well, allow for utilt pokes, sneaky usmashes to punish bad landings, and the top platform can net you some stupid early kills with uthrow. Besides that, it also helps to make out landings a bit easier as theres plenty of places to land and your opponent cannot chase you as much on it. This also eliminates campy opponents or projectile users since you have platforms to assist with approaches. There's tons of other things platforms can do, but platforms and their nice arrangements make this mah stage.
-Uthrow
aww yeh, uthrow is GODLY on this stage, you can go through the platform netting you some earlier kills and as stated above, a top platform uthrow can kill at early %s, and with the two lower platforms taking up most the stage, 9/10 times you'll be able to land on a platform when you uthrow
-able to draw first blood easily
what I love the most about this stage is that at the start of a match, most of the time the opponent will instantly drop to the lower field, you can fire a gyro off the stage the instant the match begins to instantly get some damage and stage control right at the start if they drop down.

Cons
-Gyro has less power

as stated above, projectile users cannot be as campy here, so if you play ROB rather zoney, this is not the stage for you, as gyro has very little stage control power with the platforms, laser also loses out on some power here, if you go bf, alot of your fighting will be close ranged. Dropping gyros on opponents is also a bit more difficult. However, on the bright side, a gyro in the middle of the stage can be an annoyance to characters like sonic who already struggle enough running around, as it takes up a bit of space, just be aware, gyros generally dont control as much.
-You will constantly be in close quarters
with bf's small size, you will be doing alot of fighting up close and personal. Also, other characters with high combo power can mess you up using the platforms to their advantage.

The verdict
As more on an up close ROB player, this is mah stage, combos link well, platforms give you a nice advantage and being able to get over that "who will hit first" anxiety is great...this stage is probably one of the best ones for those who play aggressive ROB
but it's not without it's flaws, high combo characters can seriously do the hurt if you arent careful.
While this is a dream for the brawler ROB, it can be a nightmare for the zoner ROB players against faster characters, as your projectile game has alot less effectiveness and constant close fighting can put you at a high disadvantage.

Should I ban it?
As I said, it's split, if you are more the aggressive ROB type, this your stage boo
It also shuts down characters like sonic, and projectile users who rely on having lots of space to assist them, if you are versing one of those, no matter what ROB you are, this is one of the best stages to go imo

If you are more of a zoner, while this stage has many benefits for ROB, those benefits can be used against you against faster combo heavy characters who get in your face often and mess you up. If you are a zoner and are up against one of those faster characters, I recommend banning this stage.

In my opinion tho
-> has bf been banned
-yes
D:
-no
HELL YEAH WE GOING BATTLEFIELD

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
My tournament life has become so much easier since I started banning battlefield and using the custom up B. The freedom of movement has been a godsend and not ever having to worry about the platform traps at the ledge is fantastic. **** killing sooner with upthrow. Our platform game is garbage compared to so many character who already juggle us badly and just laugh if we take them here. We don't need/want battlefield. I've found that not allowing the match to go here keeps my opponents from switching to counterpicks on me more often as well. I've seen much less pocket counters when I keep things on stages like Smashville or FD.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
My tournament life has become so much easier since I started banning battlefield and using the custom up B. The freedom of movement has been a godsend and not ever having to worry about the platform traps at the ledge is fantastic. **** killing sooner with upthrow. Our platform game is garbage compared to so many character who already juggle us badly and just laugh if we take them here. We don't need/want battlefield. I've found that not allowing the match to go here keeps my opponents from switching to counterpicks on me more often as well. I've seen much less pocket counters when I keep things on stages like Smashville or FD.
Which custom Up B do you mean?

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Which custom Up B do you mean?
High Speed Burner. I kind of think that it is the best recovery option by far in 100% of matchups. The unprecedented maneuverability and speed makes it so hard for characters who used to frame trap our recovery to do anything to stop us from returning to the ledge. We simply move right around them or coming flying out of nowhere into Fairs to put a stop to their shenanigans, which doesn't even get into the strictly offensive capabilities of the move allowing us to chase off the top with uair and nair for early kills.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
The three platform layout of Battlefield is extremely strong for stage control, and makes approaching someone controlling centre stage very difficult. It's also incredibly strong for ledge trapping since ledge jumping usually puts you in a bad position because of the side platforms, limiting ledge options. In addition, It's very easy to landing trap people on the platforms by using a high priority uair as they are about to land meaning; their only option is to airdodge, which then incurs landing lag and gets punished.

I feel like this goes both ways for ROB. The stage accentuates his stage control and amazing ledge traps, but also his poor landing options. Nair, likely his best landing option, gets hugely restricted by the platforms on this stage. Grabbing the ledge on the stage can also mean a death sentence. Sometimes I'll obtain stage control early and keep my opponent out for 70%+, and sometimes they'll take stage control early and I'll take 70%+ trying to reset to neutral. I occasionally will pick this stage when I think the other player is better (which thankfully doesn't happen as much recently =D), because maintaining an advantageous position on this stage is so easy; consequently, it's not as important to consistently win the neutral and 1 exchange can dictate the game.

I think OCEAN vs Earth is a good example of both how difficult it is for ROB to return to neutral on Battlefield and how dominant he is once he gets stage control.

I would pick this stage against characters that lose to ROB in the neutral, so that it's easier to obtain stage control and dominate the opponent. It's also good against characters that aren't good at maintaining stage control (generally characters slower than ROB). I avoid this stage against characters that beat ROB in neutral or have mobility tools that allow them to escape ROB's juggles (ie. ZSS downb, Sheik downb, Diddy sideb) or characters that can juggle him for days on this stage (Rosalina, Falcon, ZSS again, Sheik again, Diddy again...); unfortunately, this happens to be most of top tier.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Reslived cover his opinion on BF as a R.O.B stage in this (great) video. Around 25-35 minutes in, I recommend watching the whole thing though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOUCyXWHX0

This video summarizes why I think FD>BF fairly well. The gyro just gives so much more stage control than I think you guys give it credit for.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
I'm so torn on this stage. A part of it is MU dependent, but even those MU dependent scenarios fluctuate based on playstyle, comfort, among other things.

Notes:
  • ROB, imo, is really good at continuing his offense once he gets cooking. As a character, his moveset really feels like it transitions from ground to air quite well. I feel that BF enhances this inherent capability. While not a combo-centric character, ROB certainly has options to continue to press his advantage, and the platforms + close quarters of BF lend itself to that very well.
    • People underestimate the effectiveness of gyro in terms of stage control and general shenanigans on this stage. Like, severely. Knowing your gyro charges and shot distances can create all sorts of tricksies when shooting it on the platform. Ex: You can shoot it to sort of bounce/scoot along the platform and fall off. A lot of times, an opponent will flat out not pay attention to it, or drop shield early and get hit by it.
    • Having a gyro on the platform while in an aggressive posture (say you finish a combo with a decently launching move and are now pursuing the opponent). You can shoot a gyro while you pursue, plopping it on one of the outer platforms to somewhat limit recovery options and set up a (weak) landing trap/limiter without throttling your pursuit. This will allow you to police the platform with the threat of a raw U-smash/U-tilt/SHAutoCancelled U-air, N-air, hell- even a SHAutoCancelled B-air if you're feeling ballsy & have a good bead on where they want to go...AND gyro, while threatening the forward space with laser, tilts, N-air, and F-air. If they land into the gyro... generally a free U-(insert attack type) if you're quick, but you'll get a free FU with other stuff like N-,F-airs without much trouble.
    • The above stuff is important to note, as it gives some good advantages to ROB. But, I don't want to overstate the efficacy of these options.
  • Another little tricksy that the stage provides is the ability to run-off a platform and b-reverse (or turn-around) a gyro (shooting it), which can take people off guard, especially if they are pressuring you from below the platform and are expecting you to try and leave it. You can also do this as a means to deal with opponents who platform drop while you're both on the plat.
    • Alternatively, if you can B-reverse, turnaround, or wavebounce gyro cancel that can lead into an F-air or D-,F-tilt surprise. Not a super recommended option, but its available & I've had success with it just due to the weirdness of it all + surprise factor.
  • As others have mentioned, U-throw kills earlier here due to platforms. BUT, I have to agree with @ The Real Inferno The Real Inferno in saying that advantage doesn't play out in application near as well as in theory. I will say that I find it hard to really land a grab on the side platforms (unless I've conditioned the opponent to expect other stuff while Im on the plat, and even then they'll be on the lookout for a grab bc they aren't dumb & know a platform U-Throw will kill).
    • I generally don't try to go for top-platform grabs, as that, imo, puts ROB in a bad position vs a lot of characters (those with strong vertical KO options OOS like Zero Suit, or combo-heavy characters that can lead into strong finishers off the top, others with strong U-throws, or KO conversions off D-throws like a Luigi, Palutena, Sonic, among others)
    • I actually find places like TC, SV, Delphino, et. al. with moving or disappearing/reappearing platforms give me a much higher success rate in terms of getting platform assistance with my U-throw, but... that's for another time.
  • As @ Jams. Jams. said... this is one of those stages that I feel give huge swings in momentum based solely off of stage control. I personally feel ROB's return to stage/ledge get-up options/options while pinned down to the corner are pretty weak, and the platforms exacerbate that weakness. On the flipside, I feel that the platforms work in ROBs favor when he is doing the edge-guarding. Establishing stage control/center stage is super key in any MU played here, and I therefore agree that taking characters ROB flat out beats in neutral and/or the mid/close range game is the best bet.
  • The platforms even out in terms of providing a boon and a bane to ROB when it comes to landing. N- and U-air do really well here once ROB gets cooking (see my earlier point), but at the same time... its really hard for ROB to get down here at times. I will say, I do find a somewhat easier time at least touching the ground for a brief moment here (which gets ROB fuel back) as opposed to some other places due to some recovery/momenum mixups via High Speed Burner (normal, or b-reversed) as well as b-reverse gyros + the multiple platforms to shoot for. I feel that on a stage like FD ROB will get carried with combos quite a bit and his recovery is forced to be relatively linear compared to a stage like BF.
TL;DR:
The stage's use depends on your playstyle and the playstyle of your opponent. I feel that you want to take chars here that you can win neutral vs. relatively well and establish stage control against (and, ideally... those who have a hard time doing that vs. ROB). The platforms are a boon and a bane for various reasons. People need to think more creatively in terms of using gyro as a stage control tool (its more than for controlling a portion of the ground-level stage). U-throw KO help is overhyped on this stage.

I'd love a decent list of characters to take here, avoid taking here, as well as those that are kinda up to personal preference. I ask, bc some of my opinions are kind of odd, and I feel that I may be incorrect, but I've had success with the odd strategy (like taking Falcon, Diddy, Mario Bros here...)

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Maybe I've spent too much time on FG (I've transitioned to Anther's recently), but I personally don't really like Battlefield. As a more defensive ROB, I always feel very cramped on this stage. Instead of being able to push your defensive game by freely throwing out lasers, you are limited to just your nair and gyro, and the latter can be picked up by your opponent. Besides, ROB is comboed so easily that being above your opponent sitting on a platform seems like a bad situation.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I've added comments to Battle Field and edited the comments to FD. If anyone has any additional notes for these stages, speak your heart out.

We're now discussing Town & City!

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I dislike T&C as ROB. It has a low ceiling, which is good because we can get u-air and u-smash kills earlier, but bad because we can easily be juggled off the top. The town platform layout is similar to BF's, but it gives us slightly more stage control as the platforms are spaced out wider. The city layout doesn't help stage control at all, and makes rushdowns that much easier for opponents. Generally, this isn't a good stage to pick unless you're an aggressive ROB, much like BF.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
I feel the opposite -- I really enjoy this stage. It provides a lot of the benefits Battlefield does (strong offensive prowess, easier kills with upthrow and up air) but, because the platforms are higher up (or at some points not even there), it allows us to also play defensively and keep opponents out with ROB's excellent zoning tools.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I feel the opposite -- I really enjoy this stage. It provides a lot of the benefits Battlefield does (strong offensive prowess, easier kills with upthrow and up air) but, because the platforms are higher up (or at some points not even there), it allows us to also play defensively and keep opponents out with ROB's excellent zoning tools.
I agree for the exact same reasons.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm really like Town & City. I ****ing love those platforms. They're too high to get in the way, but seriously improve up air. It's like the perfect balance between FD and Battlefield. The stage itself is also much bigger than Smashville, so it's easier to get back on the stage. Although I don't think this stage will be getting much love, because people see it as "Smashville with more platforms".

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Anyone who likes Battlefield over Town & City is a dumbass. This stage provides you what you get from that level with none of the drawbacks of that level so just...please stop going to battlefield.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I Agree I love T&C for R.O.B. Always you to switch up your play a lot mid game depending on the lay out. Platforms can come in clutch when your desperate to land somewhere too. Stage itself seems longer than smashville too but idk if that is right.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I Agree I love T&C for R.O.B. Always you to switch up your play a lot mid game depending on the lay out. Platforms can come in clutch when your desperate to land somewhere too. Stage itself seems longer than smashville too but idk if that is right.
It is longer.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
I'm not sure why nobody's mentioning the 2nd transformation, which I find really unhelpful for ROB. Or am I alone in this?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
So it seems like we don't have much to say on T&C. I'll be updating the OP and we'll move onto Smashville.

If you have any comments regarding past stages, don;t be afraid to throw your word in. I just have specific times dedicated to stages for a more organized experience.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
I think smashville for ROB is a good stage for him. I like that ROB has access to a platform. Also this platform is great to use because it is low to the ground so doing short hop u air is good and espically full hop nair and then immediately fast fall if they are on the platform. The issue is the platform is moving so you have to be on the move at all times.
When the platform is gone it sort of turns into a FD situation.
So overall I think ROB benefits from this stage nicely and people that aren't in love with platforms can apperciate it too.

Last edited:

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
It's like smaller fd, with a platform, and lower ceiling

I cant say much about SV except that it feels like FD but better.
Pros
-Im pretty sure the ceiling is lower (correct me if I'm wrong)
-The platform, the platform makes this better than fd in a sense it can assist with chains, you can sneak usmashes/utilts under it, use it to assist you in landings (and screw over your opponent at times), can be used to assist uthrows in getting more height, and ROBiciding if you need the stock, and various other things
-Space, unlike bf, you get a platform and some nice space to have control over the stage (although beware, the platform can assist your opponent in getting closer) but you can still stage control pretty well here

I cant really think of cons on smashville

Verdict:
smashville is like a better version of fd in my eyes, it assists both the aggressive ROB and the zoner ROB pretty well without any real drawbacks to it.
It's a very balanced stage for ROB.
That's all I can really say

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
It's like smaller fd, with a platform, and lower ceiling

I cant say much about SV except that it feels like FD but better.
Pros
-Im pretty sure the ceiling is lower (correct me if I'm wrong)
-The platform, the platform makes this better than fd in a sense it can assist with chains, you can sneak usmashes/utilts under it, use it to assist you in landings (and screw over your opponent at times), can be used to assist uthrows in getting more height, and ROBiciding if you need the stock, and various other things
-Space, unlike bf, you get a platform and some nice space to have control over the stage (although beware, the platform can assist your opponent in getting closer) but you can still stage control pretty well here

I cant really think of cons on smashville

Verdict:
smashville is like a better version of fd in my eyes, it assists both the aggressive ROB and the zoner ROB pretty well without any real drawbacks to it.
It's a very balanced stage for ROB.
That's all I can really say
SV has the same ceiling height as FD. It's also the same as Duck Hunt, PS2 and Dreamland, and very similar to Lylat and Delfino.

Probably my second least favourite starter as ROB after FD. I'd pick it against characters who can outcamp ROB, though. T&S seems better in every way. The platform on this stage definitely helps uthrow -> uair/usmash work though, but it's too situational to be worth picking the stage for.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
@ Pazx Pazx , I can't think of any characters who can outcamp ROB to be honest.
I think Smashville is pretty good for a zoning-focused ROB. The moving platform doesn't give the opponent enough options to really make zoning hard, and it really helps with combos and juggles, which is nice for us, considering that our up-air is pretty monstrous. It also helps with range of gyros, considering their trajectory. It's one of my favorite stages for ROB, next to Duck Hunt.

Top Bottom