• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B.'s new technique for picking up gyro

xyloid

Smash Rookie
Beep-boop, fellow R.O.B. mains!

I am Xyloid, long time lurker, and for the first time i found some info that I thought would be valuable to share.

I want to improve the R.O.B. meta, and since I have found nothing on this in the R.O.B. threads, I present to you what I will refer to as the Z-pickup.

I think it is common knowledge thaht any character can catch an item in mid air while pressing the "grab" or "Z" button, but did you know that you could do this whilst the gyro is STILL ON THE GROUND? All you need to do is short hop close to the gyro, and press the "Z" button as soon as the jump animation starts.

You can clearly see me do a Z-pickup at 0:26 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFuAsKAsHQ

This lets you pick up the gyro without having to go through an attack of air dodge animation, which means you can throw or Z-drop the gyro immediately after.

More options! Yay!
If this is not an actual find, let me crawl back in shame to my lurking bush.

And a 1337 day to you all, good robot sirs!

1FC0

Smash Lord
Sorry but this is no new find. It is a pretty useful technique though, I have been doing this a lot after I saw someone else doing it against me and I have been loving it.

Also welcome to the R.O.B. boards!

xyloid

Smash Rookie
Cool! Then i guess it's still good that it should be documentated and shared, since I have not found any thread about it. Even Boreal Holy didn't know about this tech before I showed it to him last week.

May I add that you can also do this with Diddy's banana? I have been stealing fruit from this primate like they were not even his to begin with :D

Thanks for the welcoming, I will continue labbing it with the gyro, I feel it still has some unknow uses.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Like 1FC0 said this is no new find, but maybe it's not very common knowledge so it's good that you shared this anyway!

Welcome to Smashboards!

Last edited:
Top Bottom