• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B Matchup Discussion

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Hello fellow robots, this here is a thread dedicated to R.O.B.'s early matchup spread, bad and painful matchups, or insanely good matchups.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What's everyone's take on Ike? I'm personally having a lot of trouble with this one. In Sm4sh I felt this was even if not slightly in R.O.B.'s favor, but in Ultimate I'm consistently getting destroyed.

The main problem I feel is Ike's ability to get in with reverse nair, bait an approach then bair. Ike's nair out-disjoints R.O.B.'s fair and covers all angles, and R.O.B. has the same blindspot in front of/above his head as he's always have. If Ike sh-nair spams in this space, it trumps most of our options. We can't hit him with laser, gyro usually goes past his landing, and he's in range to punish either option. Fair and nair both need to be timed perfectly if you have any hope of getting around his sword, but all he has to do is move in an inch and bair, so this isn't really an option either. If either nair or bair connect, you're guaranteed to either eat a lot of damage from strings or die.

Some options I haven't tried (just thought of these while writing above):
-Run in, parry the nair, and punish his landing with dtilt. That's hardly a safe option though.
-Back off and B-reverse uncharged gyro. With the extra distance it should land under Ike so you can punish or between you to halt his approach. Weak laser might be an alternative option, but it's less safe, requires more precise timing, and ultimately offers less in terms of reward. Might be necessary if he adapts and starts catching your gyro. If you're pushed against ledge, you might have to run off > sh > b-reverse gyro.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
What's everyone's take on Ike? I'm personally having a lot of trouble with this one. In Sm4sh I felt this was even if not slightly in R.O.B.'s favor, but in Ultimate I'm consistently getting destroyed.

The main problem I feel is Ike's ability to get in with reverse nair, bait an approach then bair. Ike's nair out-disjoints R.O.B.'s fair and covers all angles, and R.O.B. has the same blindspot in front of/above his head as he's always have. If Ike sh-nair spams in this space, it trumps most of our options. We can't hit him with laser, gyro usually goes past his landing, and he's in range to punish either option. Fair and nair both need to be timed perfectly if you have any hope of getting around his sword, but all he has to do is move in an inch and bair, so this isn't really an option either. If either nair or bair connect, you're guaranteed to either eat a lot of damage from strings or die.

Some options I haven't tried (just thought of these while writing above):
-Run in, parry the nair, and punish his landing with dtilt. That's hardly a safe option though.
-Back off and B-reverse uncharged gyro. With the extra distance it should land under Ike so you can punish or between you to halt his approach. Weak laser might be an alternative option, but it's less safe, requires more precise timing, and ultimately offers less in terms of reward. Might be necessary if he adapts and starts catching your gyro. If you're pushed against ledge, you might have to run off > sh > b-reverse gyro.
Ike should be ez, he hates projectiles and we have projectiles, nair isnt fun but we outdo him up close too due to the speed of our up close game.

Meanwhile, palutena obliterates us. Easily ROBs worst matchup, anyone have any tips for her? Also wario

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
What the hell do you do against projectile spammers? Seems like a majority of my Elite Smash matches are against

Link / Young Link / Toon Link
Samus / Dark Samus
Ness / Lucas
Villager / Isabelle
etc.

and they just camp and spam projectiles the whole match. Arm Rotor just comes out way too late and is way too slow to be a reliable reflector against tons of constant spam.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
"gyro" isn't going to do much against a Link spamming bombs and arrows and boomerang at me

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Ike should be ez, he hates projectiles and we have projectiles, nair isnt fun but we outdo him up close too due to the speed of our up close game.

Meanwhile, palutena obliterates us. Easily ROBs worst matchup, anyone have any tips for her? Also wario
I seem to be having the exact opposite experience as you in all respects (and with all due respect). Ike's nair combined with vastly superior landing lag on all his aerials means an Ike who's committed to jumping up and down a few feet above/in front of your face (that whole blindspot is R.O.B.'s Achilles Heel) means range doesn't help, and Ike's melee attacks beat ours in both range and speed. Unless I'm missing something? What's the up-close strategy for Ike?

Meanwhile, I've had an easy time with Palutena, and Wario's not bad either. With Palutena, because her reflect is so good you have to rely on fighting up close, which is something we do beat her at. Our nair beats her uair if you start it early enough. Save lasers for when you're sure you can combo one off a hit that knocks her back, or throw them out at angles to catch her jumping and keep her guessing. She's also tall enough for us to fair-string her all the way to the side blastzones past her teleport range. Wario on the other hand, our gyro completely counters his bike - if he runs over it, the bike launches it up to hit him and knocks him off. Fair gets a lot of mileage in this matchup as well, just be mindful of Bite.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
What the hell do you do against projectile spammers? Seems like a majority of my Elite Smash matches are against

Link / Young Link / Toon Link
Samus / Dark Samus
Ness / Lucas
Villager / Isabelle
etc.

and they just camp and spam projectiles the whole match. Arm Rotor just comes out way too late and is way too slow to be a reliable reflector against tons of constant spam.
Links: these characters can throw projectiles at a faster rate than you, but your projectiles are better. Shield (parry if you can) their projectiles and get a bead on their patterns, and then snipe them out of their startup. Laser is transcendent so can't be blocked by their projectiles. Remember that you can laser whilst jumping over their stuff, or stand on a higher platform and let gyro do its work. If you have gyro in hand, you can throw that and laser immediately after to create a quick barrage that will beat them out.

Samus and Dark Samus are easier to outspam. Grounded gyro stops a lot of their stuff and you can laser missile startup.

Ness and Lucas PK Fire is reactable on startup. You can cancel it with gyro; be careful not to be too predictable with laser and give them healing.

For Villager and Isabelle, don't worry too much if they take your gyro - this just means you get to laser them without worrying about pocket. For both matchups remember that nair hitbox actually destroys the slingshot.

As a general rule, side B ISN'T an anti camping tool.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
forward air
Not when he's spamming nair, as I've said... Nair beats fair in range and disjoint.

Should I post a clip of my robo-thrusters being handed to me for analysis? There's a disconnect here that I'd really like to get to the bottom of so I don't keep getting stuffed by this MU.

Last edited:

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
For Villager and Isabelle, don't worry too much if they take your gyro - this just means you get to laser them without worrying about pocket. For both matchups remember that nair hitbox actually destroys the slingshot.
I feel that learning to fight without Gyro is one of the best things you can do with ROB for exactly this reason, and for reflect-happy spammers. For Villabelle I'll typically charge Gyro to 7 spin max damage and save it for a quick tech chase or to snipe off stage unexpectedly. I usually don't have Gyro out in play very much and if it is out I'll start charging it and put it back away so they can't take it. One thing that's fun is to charge Gyro to bait out a pocket, then punish... with Gyro.

For Villagers who start doing that jump-slingshot crap, wait until they're about to land toward you with a slingshot, then time an Arm Rotor to reflect the shot and with any luck you'll catch them in it.

BiG_GiNg

Smash Rookie
What boards are best for rob? CS and BF are my least favorites for play with him on. I feel like T&C is his best map but I'm not sure really

ivean999

Smash Rookie
Not when he's spamming nair, as I've said... Nair beats fair in range and disjoint.

Should I post a clip of my robo-thrusters being handed to me for analysis? There's a disconnect here that I'd really like to get to the bottom of so I don't keep getting stuffed by this MU.
I find that the best counter to this is either a retreating shnair, rar bair, or shield it and punish with grab or shnair. I mostly use fair to extend combos or gimp.

Last edited:

ivean999

Smash Rookie
What boards are best for rob? CS and BF are my least favorites for play with him on. I feel like T&C is his best map but I'm not sure really
I've had luck on CS with rob. His nair is just so huge, it takes up a third of the stage. You also aren't going to run out of fuel anytime soon.

1FC0

Smash Lord
How do I beat Isabelle? Her Pocket, Slingshot, and rockets especially give me problems. Her slingshot can be reflected but it is still hard to beat since even if I predict it correctly the reflected shot will often miss or my timing will be a little off causing me to get punished anyway.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
How do I beat Isabelle? Her Pocket, Slingshot, and rockets especially give me problems. Her slingshot can be reflected but it is still hard to beat since even if I predict it correctly the reflected shot will often miss or my timing will be a little off causing me to get punished anyway.
your up close is much better, you can wall her up close since she only has nair and horrible tilts, fair alone wins wars

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm wondering but how does everyone else feel about Snake?
I feel like the match up is slightly in ROB's favor since he can pretty much reflect all of Snake's projectiles. Not to mention that Snake can't edgeguard him with Nikita since it can be reflected.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I'm wondering but how does everyone else feel about Snake?
I feel like the match up is slightly in ROB's favor since he can pretty much reflect all of Snake's projectiles. Not to mention that Snake can't edgeguard him with Nikita since it can be reflected.
I'd say even, if slightly in R.O.B.'s favor but still not easy. You can't rely on reflecting because a lot of Snake's tools involve dropping things on the ground, including grenade. That said, I feel like R.O.B. wins at range, but if Snake gets up close he can beat us up pretty badly. Grenades stuff our combos too, giving even more reason to keep at a distance.

The only reason I give R.O.B. a slight favor is because Snake really struggles to kill us, assuming you're keeping watch for mines, and we're able to counter his recovery with Uair for an easy kill or juggle. If you can keep him off stage, the rest is a breeze.

(I am, however, slightly biased because this was my favorite MU in Brawl. My rival in college played Snake, so I've had a lot of practice with it. The Ultimate MU definitely feels different, but not totally unfamiliar)

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I have to wonder why pretty much every Rob* thinks that the Mu vs. Zelda is a winning one.

*At least based off of Epic Gabriel's MU-chart :p.
I don't really see it and I have already played some tournament Rob players, albeit in wi-fi, so there was lag but it wasn't nearly as oppressive as against someone like ZSS.
Just wanna know what Rob has against her that makes this a not-even MU because I don't really see it.

(Also this isn't meant to be an offensive post, so I'm sorry if this may sound a bit aggressive^^)

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I have to wonder why pretty much every Rob* thinks that the Mu vs. Zelda is a winning one.

*At least based off of Epic Gabriel's MU-chart :p.
I don't really see it and I have already played some tournament Rob players, albeit in wi-fi, so there was lag but it wasn't nearly as oppressive as against someone like ZSS.
Just wanna know what Rob has against her that makes this a not-even MU because I don't really see it.

(Also this isn't meant to be an offensive post, so I'm sorry if this may sound a bit aggressive^^)
because we do win against her
she has 0 buttons, she cant do anything to us out of shield, we can combo her for free and kill her easily

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
That's not really a satisfying reply but ok. I take it.
One bad interaction between them for Zelda is she is constantly being sniped out of knight charge up and dins fire by ROBs laser.

Also ROB dominates in the air, with most of his aerials stuffing out Zelda’s. She is also a bit light and floaty, leaving her vulnerable to being KO’d early by a Bair, Side B, Up air, or smash attack.

Also her trademark ledge trap game is null and void because ROB can just fly over it all and land on stage with FF Nair.

She does have the neutral B though. That move is as good as ever, especially against ROB

Top Bottom