• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis - Bayonetta

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Yeah, she's been out for a few days now, I think.

...maybe it's a bit early for an MU discussion.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I agree, too early to discuss. I haven't fought any good ones yet.

I got fully charge fsmashed during witch time for f tiling though, so that was fun.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I agree, too early to discuss. I haven't fought any good ones yet.

I got fully charge fsmashed during witch time for f tiling though, so that was fun.
How many times had she used Witch Time before that happened? I read that Witch Time gets worse the more she uses it during a stock. Maybe Witch Time's duration gets shorter if she uses it more.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
How many times had she used Witch Time before that happened? I read that Witch Time gets worse the more she uses it during a stock. Maybe Witch Time's duration gets shorter if she uses it more.
I could believe that. I think it was the first time she had used it.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
The main thing I find obnoxious about her is that...whatever the hell she does where she just keeps dashing around in the air and hitting you up to three times.

How the **** do you DI out of this?? It feels like a confirmed combo, even as high as 70-80%.

It's like ZS upair->upB combos but worse.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
SDI and DI are very important. SDI either behind her or down and behind her if you get caught in Witch Twist. The best method for SDI in this game is to quarter circle DI with the analogue stick (ie. If Bayonetta is facing :GCR:, you want to roll your stick like :GCUL::GCL::GCDL::GCL::GCUL: repeat).

Try to DI all of her moves down and away, since it seems to be the best DI to get out of her combos. You can also airdodge out of Afterburner Kick -> Afterburner Kick at lower percents (maybe until 40%~ if she has to rage) if she's doing the diagonal up version; the footdive version is basically guaranteed to combo. If you are caught in Witch Twist and notice she's shooting her guns (this is a decently noticeable visual), you can airdodge out before she can combo you with Afterburner Kick at low percents; if she's shooting, it means the player held the B button too long and she will experience more endlag on that move. If you're at higher percents, you can only SDI and pray.

Since ROB is so big, it'll be much harder to SDI and DI her combos. Sometimes, you'll just have to try not to cry but actually cry a lot. She's designed as a combo-centric character, so her combos will be devastating even when applying counterplay.

Have you tried Up-B? It has some invincibility frames.
I've never actually seen anyone combo break with upb, since it has like 2 invincibility frames and no hitbox after. Is there any case you have found it to be a practical combo breaker?

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I think Ally was reading Tyroy's habits but was unable to punish him appropriately because Mario lacks the toolkit to do so. He realized that he could exploit Tyroy's style better with ROB's kit, most notably his projectile camping and throw confirms. That said, Tyroy looked like he didn't know the MU at all and Ally played a super basic ROB. Better players to watch would probably be Holy vs Venom or Gyo vs Aerolink or iiGGy.

I think both Gyo and Holy believe ROB loses this MU. On the other hand, ROB theoretically has all the necessary tools to win this MU. It really depends on how strong Bayo's conversions will be on ROB once her combos and the counterplay to her combos are optimized IMO.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I asked Ally on twitter about his switch, and he said that any character with a throw kill confirm does well against Bayonetta.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
ROB fights her well until they spam the b button "Bullet Climax" which shuts down anything and everything ROB wants to do. That move invalidates the MU for ROB it is really that big of a pain.

Top Bottom