• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #52 - Toon Link

Cylent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cylent.x
I feel like this MU is similar to the Link MU, except TL can be more aggressive so as ROB you need to zone him out more.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
In the neutral game, you will need to avoid :4tlink:'s up-tilt strings. If you are caught in one, that is a guaranteed 50%. One other thing to avoid is his bombs. :4tlink:'s bombs are his main combo starters, so staying back and dodging bombs will limit the amount of combos and punishes that he can perform.

This is a match where you can out camp your opponent. Laser can reach across the stage and a full charged gyro can negate his arrows, and even a well placed gyros can block arrows if :4tlink: does not fully charge up his B special.

You can also avoid his shield block your projectiles by jumping and aiming for his head! :)

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I've fought Muse before, possibly best toon link NA/ranked top 3(?) in Nebraska.

Muse is a much better player than me, but I think we win this match up. Our set was very close, with me actually taking game 1 (then I took him to Lylat, a huge mistake).

The match up is not fun to play. You gotta camp, and you gotta camp hard. Always use your laser ASAP, always be pestering him with some kind of pressure. Making sure to always have a gyro on the ground or a laser coming his way.

At the beginning you can reserve your projectiles a bit for when he starts throwing his projectiles so you can condition him to not play his game (of throwing projectiles) - then start laying them on him later into the game, after he's become afraid to use them.

General tips - * Camp, don't approach or commit unless he's in a super disadvantageous situation like at the edge, off stage, whiffed a smash attack. * Don't empty hop or nair in place * Gimping tink isn't hard, you just have to be aware of his double jump and bomb. His up b is pretty straight forward (in a literal sense). * Disjoints are annoying to work around. If you're near, be wary. Don't accidentally stick your hand into an upsmash or airdodge into an fsmash.

Phanton404

Smash Rookie
My friend which I practice the most mains him, and just like Crome Crome said, this is not a fun match up, unless you really feel like shooting lasers all the time.
Bombs are the main problem here, since R.O.B is so big, getting caught by a bomb is easier than it seems, and if you do you might eat some follow ups. It's the same problem with his boomerang, if it hits, you may take a bomb next and so on.
Up tilt strings are annoying, and if you are in the air you need to plan well how you are going to land, because his uair hurts a lot, also do not try to air dodge it, it lasts forever.
Tink is so tiny, sometimes grabbing him is a pain, getting near is not a good idea anyways.

The only way I can play this is using the the good ol' gyro + laser spam, gyro set up at the ledge if they are going for a tether recovery, a very well timed dair if they go for uspecial. Pressuring off stage with fair does also work.
I have had some luck approaching with Arm Rotor, but I don't really recommend this.

Top Bottom