• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #29 - Olimar

Soulimar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Soulimar
I'm actually very experienced in this matchup, one of my best friends being Virus (A ranked Norcal ROB).
This can be a very tough matchup for an inexperienced ROB as they aren't used to approaching like you have to do in the Olimar matchup. Olimar's kit is specifically designed to make approaching the only option as well as almost impossible when played to perfection with no mess ups. As ROB getting in, its mainly a guessing game as to whether olimar will throw out a grab, a smash, or even an aerial to counter the approach (ROB's Nair is pretty good for approaching as it's almost impossible for olimar to punish/outproritize it). This is why the matchup is somewhat in Olimars favor IMO. ROB also has a hard time getting pikmin off of him and is very easily combo'd once grabbed by olimar. However, ROB also has a few things on Olimar. Once ROB manages to get in, Olimar is very prone to juggling. ROB's uair is insanely wide and Olimar has terrible air speed and a meh air dodge. He also cant use the super armor from whistle because of how long uair's multihits stay out for. Juggling Olimar is where you can bring back all the damage he put on you initially with his low % combos, and can even kill him incredibly early with and uair on the blast zone.
To sum it up, I'd say its a slight advantage (+1) for Olimar because if they don't make a mistake and avoid grabs, he can outcamp rob and win the entire match from the ground. ROB's juggling potential keeps the matchup only slightly in Oli's favor and can kill him incredibly early from the top blastzone with sort of pseudo frame traps

The_ViRu5

Smash Rookie
There is an annoying interaction with the Pikmin and the gyro. Pikmin tossed from Olimar's side-b can latch onto the gyro when spinning on the ground and if ROB picks it up, the Pikmin on the gyro damage ROB and cause hit-stun. Sakurai plz

But yeah, the MU is probably 45:55 for ROB for the reasons @ Soulimar Soulimar listed above. It's probably closer to even with customs on since Olimar doesn't get anything from them and ROB does. Also, it's worth noting ROB's custom side-b can reflect Olimar's smashes: http://gfycat.com/WaryVainBufeo

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Hey another olimar main here, and I personally believe the matchup with ROB vs olimar is 60/40 Rob's Favor being very generous to Olimar. I mean all you really need to see is 8bitman's matches online vs olimar ...I mean I may be a little biased here since its one of my personal worst but, its one of the few matchup's that force olimar to be a little more aggressive and approach as most of your options with gyro and lasers punish the living hell out of our camping game. Your tilts come out hella fast, down throw to up air is nearly guaranteed kill setup I think with you only reading we DI either left or right from the initial hitlag from the throw..I mean our best thing to do agains't you is combo you but personally what I believe olimar will do will be keeping the spacing game up as far as saying in neutral position and not avoiding your down smash and grabs as they put is in very bad positons to begin with. Even then with that you can easily make up for that and rush us down somewhat since your tilts and downsmash are so fast and your aerials beat out all ours, cuz like in brawl our aerials are pretty horrid in comparison to our ground game. Although giving olimar gyro significantly holds down your neutral game as he can just chuck pikmin and power sheild your lasers, and from what I've seen its not that easy to remove them, and if you do you have to commit and that gives us time to approach. Overall its hard af to find an opening to get a kill on a good ROB so as much dmg as the pikmin do put on yall to maybe 180 or more u can still avoid alot of our kill moves (fsmash/purple smashes/blue up throw etc) and go for a down throw up air, up throw, downsmash or the gyro to pressure us off stage then get an aerial in or have it kill us outright, olimar is so light in this game, and with up air you can juggle him for days...oh and one more stupid thing yall can get a kick from is if we throw a pikmin to your gyro they just latch on it and stay there so if the olimar isn't paying attention or doesnt whistle it back in that situation he'd only have 2 pikmin isntead of 3 which gives us less chance to throw more pikmin and still its annoying lol...but overall being in ROB's favor imo is where this matchup prolly stands, maybe its better, but thats what I see in it from my previous experiences with ROB.

Last edited:

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
@ Soulimar Soulimar , Could not of said it better myself, so ill keep my input short.

I do not like fighting Olimar as R.O.B, its really hard for me because of the surprising amount of damage input Olimar has, since R.O.B is so big its hard to avoid the pikmin, and due to the high lag on R.O.B's attacks when we get the pikmin off Olimar already has 3 more.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Hello! One of our local Olimar mains has really been stepping it up recently, and I have some good notes I'd like to share.

I think the MU is near 50/50, could possibly be either side's favor by 5. R.O.B can kill Olimar much easier than the opposite, but Olimar can rack up damage much, much faster. Olimar's pikmin, as well with his good combo ability, ****s with us a lot.

I believe the prime range to be in will be either 1. As close to him as possible, probably ftilt / dtilt range. 2. Just out of the range of his pikmin toss. Most of the game will be played at range 2, but range 1 is where we have the biggest advantage.

Pikmin can grab the gyro, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. The pikmin on the gyro are still a hitbox, and will damage you if you're holding the gyro or standing next to it. Even with a pikmin attached, the gyro is still R.O.Bs. Sometimes a pikmin will try to bring the gyro to olimar, and it will hit him. I've gyro spiked Olimar because of this.

Olimar doesn't have much to kill R.O.B besides rogue smash attacks and kill throws. If we make sure to not get grabbed we're set. Olimars Fsmash has less lag than you'd expect, so he can fsmash again to punish your punish. I think if he fsmashes our shield, we should have enough time to side b and reflect the next one. I'm not too sure, this is something I should check.

When there are pikmin on you, use Utilt. It's the best move for getting pikmin off you. Side B also works well, I think this is the only match up even worth using side b in. The reflecting aspect can really mess with olimars who aren;t expecting it, and the pikmin can extend the hitbox, to make it even more jank. I've had an olimar walk into the final hit and dying, because he though the move was over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom