• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B Laser Edge Interactions

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
R.O.B's laser can interact weirdly with specific stage's ledges. It's as if the laser is hitting the inside of the wall of the stage before the actual ground, so it bounces towards center stage.

(Video)

I discovered this on accident while playing on 3DS, and it can be replicated on some stages on Wii U. The best way to test this is to just aim the laser straight down at the edge, moving forward/backwards carefully if you miss or overshoot it.

Here is an (incomplete) list of how each Wii U stage interacts with the laser. Sadly, none of the stages it works on are tournament legal, bar Omegas.

Works:
Omega Halberd
Omega Kongo Jungle 64

Does Not:
(Omega) Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Dreamland
Duck Hunt
Omega Guar Plain
Omega 75m
Omega Wrecking Crew
(Omega) Big Battlefield
Final Destination
Omega Mushroom Kingom U
Omega Mario Galaxy
Omega Delfino Plaza
Omega Mario Circuit
Omega Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Omega Luigi's Mansion
Omega Jungle Hijinks
Omega Skyloft
Omega Bridge of Eldin
Omega Hyrule Temple
Omega Pyrosphere
Omega Norfair
Omega Port Town Aero Dive

If you didn't notice, I was going down the stage list. So I haven't tested any stage after Port Town Aero Dive, if someone wants to pick up where I left off.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've accidentally done this a couple times, as was documented in my R.O.B. video.
(i apologize for bringing up this outdated trash)
The usefulness of this tech is questionable since it requires pinpoint precision and only works on a handful of stages, but I did manage to interrupt Falcon's approach in the first clip and bait Ganondorf into airdodging beyond the limit of his recovery in the second. That, and it's just really cool to show your friends.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I found that after practicing it I was able to do it consistently. I was able to do it 1st try a lot of the time. However in the middle of a match it'll most likely be different.

It's just an interesting thing that we have that could work as a mix up.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I remember seeing this in a video in the early days of Smash 4 but it is pretty neat. You also got some neat information about this. I never bothered practicing with it since I thought it to be practically useless since the aiming seems to be so precise. But if it can be done consistently then maybe I should practice it at least as a nice way to show off during matches. Maybe it can replace the Infinite Burner which got removed in 1.0.5.

Top Bottom