• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. is a surprsingly great character

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
Any move that involves a blast of some kind is a great more for R.O.B., including:

Up Smash
Side Smash
Bair
Nair
Dair

His dair is a phenomenal meteor smash simply because it doesn't send him down, but it absolutely devastates the opponent. However, it's tough to time, much like his Nair and Bair.

Great recovery? Two beafy and fast projectiles? His arsenal of moves is one to fear.

And come on people, it's Robotic Operating Buddy! You gotta love him!

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
obviously he is THE MAN + WoP Fair - FTW!

and his reverse Bair can still kill - FTW!

aimable BEAM - FTW!

PWNAGE GYRO - FTW!

PukeTShirt

Smash Journeyman
Please, let us not forget his godly dsmash. Comes out quick as hell and has huge range on both sides. Little/no lag afterwards. I spam the hell out of this move, and it treats me nice :D

Packherd

Smash Rookie
R.O.B. is going to be a timing fighter. Those who get him will swear by him; those who don't will totally rip him a new one.

Since he's VERY floaty (even his dair makes him float!) he'll be vulnerable to the quick fighters and jugglers. G&W may own him; Sheik definitely will.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Wait a second, ROB can wop with fair?

I think I just found the missing chink in the Wario armor, wop is all that separates him from Puff practically in terms of aerial prowess.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The problem with R.O.B. isn't his floatiness, it's his massive momentum. Once he starts going one direction in the air, he's pretty much dedicated to that direction since it's very difficult to get him to change directions (aside from using a bair to get him to go forward while you were going backwards). This creates problems of telegraphing your moves, because, if you're doing it very directly, it becomes quite obvious what your next move is going to be.

But R.O.B.'s fair keeps the quick guys at bay. Waaay at bay. They're fast enough to not telegraph and have enough range to keep R.O.B. safe. I've played a few Foxes and Falcos, and they start breaking down once R.O.B. gets in the air. He's way to good with his aerials.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I know people says every other character would be top tier and/or they're overpowered, and I disagree with them. But this one, if anyone suggested it, I'd believe it. And I don't mean that as an insult. I mean that in a sense that it's easy to find his good attacks and use them correctly to win matches. Like what the OP pointed out, alot of his attacks are useful, and half of those are useful in killing. I like R.O.B. alot. They definitely made him stereotypically good for some reason. I mean really, most, if not all of his attacks? I was surprised. R.O.B. made the fight sooo much easier. I bet alot more people will start using him. I mean compared to Metaknight or Lucario, R.O.B. has much more killing ability. And I love that I can chase people in any direction thanks to that rocket booster that's in alot of his attacks, like SideAir and ofcourse, the ever so lovely Up+B recovery.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
One of his biggest advantage is one of his biggest weakenesses.

His Up B.

He has to 'refuel' so to say, which means he doesn't get it back if he's being juggled. He has to land. It's not the biggest weakness, but it may start to show, and may have a lot to do with the R.O.B. counterpick game.

R.O.B.TheROCKbot

Smash Rookie
Rob is awesome

I concur.

ROB is almost unfair. His dsmash is vicious. I rock most people mostly by spamming that until they realize there's really no way to block or dodge around it, you either go up or you go away.

The nair is cruel, it's ridiculously powerful and surprisingly hard to dodge. If you throw yourself up at an angle where your opponent is trying to come at you and throw a nair just as they're coming towards you, it rocks them. I've seen it kill pretty regularly at 100%

The up-b and the bair make up for his slow/clunkiness. If someone's trying to juggle you, throw a bair in their face. You can make it half way across the stage and keep them from getting you from behind.

Something I noticed, too, is that once you do the up-b, all you have to do is press up and the thrusters go on, so it's basically like a continuous, controlled jump.

Also.

It's almost impossible to spike Rob. He doesn't die.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
he has plenty more awesome attacks than the ones using his booster jets things. his fair downsmash and projectiles are ridiculous. nearly every one of robs moves are amazing to use. especially his bair

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I find his tilts to be supremely useful. Especially utilt and ftilt. Utilt is all "Raise the Roof" and ftilt is just good. Dash attack also sets up for stuff pretty well, as it's quick, and has little lag. In fact, besides Bair, Dair, and Nair, Rob is just a sick-nasty quickmachine.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
i love ROB, i was pwning my friends all last night with him. the thing is ,people still really underestimate him still, they were always like "WTF ROB?! your gonna lose". boy were their faces red haha

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that R.O.B. may very well be the top character at this point. I think that mobility is going to be very important in Brawl due to the whole floatiness thing, and R.O.B. is the most mobile character I've found. Plus, his Gyro is his worst move, and even that is pretty good!

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
ROB's usmash looks great but has a surprisingly small hitbox. It can't hit people that are next to you and it only hits a small area above you. IMO utilt is almost always a better move.

His bair, dair, and nair are all pretty damaging but don't kill at particularly low percentages. They feel like a little too much risk for the reward you get. Of course the fair is broken cheese. The only character that beats his fair is Marth (obv).

Generally he's a fun hero, but I'm having trouble finishing with him due to his underpowered smashes.

EDIT: His laser is sooo good. Spam it as much as you can.

Charzonsos

Smash Cadet
I love R.O.B. This evening he joined the ranks of Captain Falcon (SSB main) and Marth (SSBM main) as one of my official mains. When I first unlocked him, I was playing as him and fell in love there. Sure I was thinking of making him a secondary, but I fight so well with him (better than Marth and Captain Falcon). I still need to get used to him, but he is my Brawl main. Now who will be my secondarys

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
ROB's usmash looks great but has a surprisingly small hitbox. It can't hit people that are next to you and it only hits a small area above you. IMO utilt is almost always a better move.

His bair, dair, and nair are all pretty damaging but don't kill at particularly low percentages. They feel like a little too much risk for the reward you get. Of course the fair is broken cheese. The only character that beats his fair is Marth (obv).

Generally he's a fun hero, but I'm having trouble finishing with him due to his underpowered smashes.

EDIT: His laser is sooo good. Spam it as much as you can.
I actually find myself killing at about the same percentages as the other power characters. The difference is that I usually kick someone over the edge with downsmash and proceed to subject them to aerial shenanigans. Once you are off the stage with Rob on you, there's not much you can do to get him off.

Laser Eye is a decent smash, too, although it's nothing special. Being able to aim it makes it very usable, though.

Rob is awesome incarnate. Well, except for the whole "carnate" part...

angryRab

Smash Rookie
Yes, I've found ROB to be pretty brutal.

His laser is really nice for edge guarding if it's fully charged. It has some nice knockback, so against most characters they won't be able to recover.

His dair is great for spiking people trying to recover too

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I love R.O.B. This evening he joined the ranks of Captain Falcon (SSB main) and Marth (SSBM main) as one of my official mains. When I first unlocked him, I was playing as him and fell in love there. Sure I was thinking of making him a secondary, but I fight so well with him (better than Marth and Captain Falcon). I still need to get used to him, but he is my Brawl main. Now who will be my secondarys
It's kinda funny. I was a captain falcon main in melee. Then I play R.O.B in brawl and he is undisputedly my best character at this point.

I love R.O.B.

Top Bottom