• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B impressions

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
My impressions are...R.O.B. is a beast. My friends and I were playing Brawl yesterday and on a whim one of my friends decided to try out ROB. What we found was that the "wtf" character of this game is one of the best characters thus far. This is because:

1. Like link on steroids when it comes to range. His laser is very powerful with good knockback, and goes across the whole stage. He can even angle the laser to hit what is not in a straight line from him. Also his attack where he throws a top at you is like samus's charged shot, but more powerful.

2. Very powerful- His upsmash, but all of his smashes in general are more powerful than the "average" smash (whatever you consider "average" to be) His air attacks are particularly good. His dair spikes......very powerfully with little chance of recovery. And his bair (the "backburner" as we called it) is also very very powerful. By "very powerful" all I mean is that when you get hit with its attacks you think to yourself, "Well, that was powerful now wasn't it?"

3. Recovery- one of the best in the game. With his luigi-fied floatiness courtesy of Brawl, he has large horizontal distance anyway. However, his up b is something to fear. For anyone that has ever played MvC2, his up b is like the sentinel. He can use that, and use his boosters to fly to the edge, or perhaps when used over land in the first place, can hover above the ground using his powerful air attacks.

Well there you have it, what I found of R.O.B. during my play. And now I have the challenge of beating him because as soon as we found out how good he was, my friend stated...."main-ed"

Phalanx

Smash Rookie
I will admit that I don't like R.O.B very much, but I am happy that they were able to make him balanced, or at least not nerfed

BulgyMilk

Smash Cadet
Pfft, feet are for puny mortals, you don't see Cthulu complaining do you? :p

Yeah R.O.B. is awesome (future R.O.B. mainer myself) quick question though, did you find R.O.B. to be slow or sluggish? he seems like he might have fair amounts of lag after his smashes and aerials, does this seem to be a problem? do his tilts compensate for this with their priority and general quickness? Just a couple things that I can't know until I've played, but want impressions of anyway ^_^

Thanks in advance Cerrus.

DonatoClassic

Smash Cadet
I was the one playing R.O.B. last night, so I might as well try to answer your questions.

did you find R.O.B. to be slow or sluggish?

He actually is quite nimble. He moves about as fast as Mario, even though he is about Wario or Ike in terms of weight. His moves also come out pretty fast.

he seems like he might have fair amounts of lag after his smashes and aerials, does this seem to be a problem?
His airs have some lag afterwards. His dair has quite a bit of lag, but it lets him float in place for a moment as he does it. His bair is the same thing except it moves you forward a bit when you do it. I actually used it for recovery. The rest of his air moves had "normal" amounts of lag. His ground moves actually had less lag than "normal." So, overall, I think that his moves actually come out pretty fast considering his size and weight.

do his tilts compensate for this with their priority and general quickness?
Honestly, I never used any of his tilts. His smash attacks and airs came out fast enough that I never bothered to use the tilts. Trust me, this is a good thing.

BulgyMilk

Smash Cadet
Haha wow that's awesome, thanks for your input, go pwn some face with R.O.B.!

Oh! and another couple questions, what are his most effective kill moves? and how do you find his combo-ability compared to other characters? on a scale from say...G-dorf to Metaknight? or just 1-10 whatever works :p

Percon

Smash Lord
Honestly, I never used any of his tilts. His smash attacks and airs came out fast enough that I never bothered to use the tilts. Trust me, this is a good thing.
...what? He's got a great ftilt and utilt, IMO, they're really quite useful.

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
what are his most effective kill moves? and how do you find his combo-ability compared to other characters? on a scale from say...G-dorf to Metaknight? or just 1-10 whatever works :p
His main kill moves that I experienced >.< were his charged top attack, that thing had a very good amount of knockback. Also, his upsmash is pretty powerful. His down smash however is better for damage because it hits them a number of times and sends them upwards.

Combo wise, I would say that from what our abilities let us do as of now, the length of his combos arent very long. His only combos I could imagine would be to hit them with your ground a attack then hit them with the top/laser while they are stunned/flying forward. He has potential, but I can't really say right now. However, a few of his moves do multiple hits by themselves.

BulgyMilk

Smash Cadet
Awesome, thanks again for the info...also do you have the tech to put some vids up? more Brawl footage is always welcome to me (and I'm sure others would appreciate it too :p)

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
Haha wow that's awesome, thanks for your input, go pwn some face with R.O.B.!

Oh! and another couple questions, what are his most effective kill moves? and how do you find his combo-ability compared to other characters? on a scale from say...G-dorf to Metaknight? or just 1-10 whatever works :p
for the short time that I played him, I rate him 8/8.5 over 10

reasons:
very powerful attacks with good knockback
average speed
good (and funny XD) dodges
best recovery ever (better than jiggly, kirby, and samus combined)

only problems were aerial lag, his laser charges the less you use it, and only one gyroscope at a time...

I say ROB for high tier!

Top Bottom