• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. BNB combos?

Megasabin

Smash Rookie
Hey All,

Just got Smash Ultimate. The last Smash Brothers I played was Brawl, completely skipping the WiiU version. R.O.B. was my main in Brawl, and while significantly different, he still seems great here. I've watched some videos of WaDi playing the character, but I'd love some more concrete advice I could follow regarding standards combos, especially true combos. Especially versus characters like Sonic, Ganondorf, Bowser, and Young Link (RL match ups I go against often).

For example I read in the other thread on this board that neutral air true combos into side B, but I'm not sure how to do that, as neutral air usually seems to knock the opponent away?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ijigen

Smash Cadet
Regarding the nair to side b combo, it’s actually a part of a 0-death so it’s been researched pretty intensively. I won’t say more, there is a Beefy Smash Doods video on the subject that you can look up. (“ROB’s insane combo game” or something like that)

For other combos, dtilt->dtilt combos 2-4 times at low percents, usually ending when they get too far away
Dthrow is dubious to combo with. I’d hard recommend upthrow and try for a sometimes guaranteed fair after. Fair will only connect at low percents but just use upthrow sub 50 or so since it does 14 on its own compared to dthrow’s pithy 7 or so. Any opponent worth their salt should be able to escape dthrow with no followups at those percents
It’s a bit trickier to say how dthrow combos from mid to high percents though. I see dthrow->utilt->uair work often but it’s more of a guessing game as if the opponent waits in the ground utilt won’t connect. Sometimes I go for dthrow straight into uair if I think it will kill since you can vertically catch up to an escaping opponent there and it lingers a little better if they try to mix up your timing. Nothing guaranteed again. Usmash of course has the launcher so it can hard beat the “wait in ground” mixup if they go for it. Hard to connect against good mashers almost all the way up to upthrow kill range though, so certainly not reliable. Dsmash might be another option especially at higher percents but I haven’t tried it much. I will note that it can be good coverage if your opponent tries to mash fast and DAD down immediately. Anyway I recommend figuring out how good a masher your opponent is early so you can choose your dthrow followups accordingly.
Other theorycraft things that might work but I’d have to test - fair->dtilt, falling uair->utilt->uair (and in general utilt->uair). You can often hit nair->fair on reaction too, don’t know when it’s true though
As you might notice though, not really many big damage or easy to land bnb combos for rob. He focuses much more on projectiles and zoning or pressuring with nair

NGW

Smash Cadet
Been trying the 0 to death, can't even manage it in training, no way I'll nail it in a real fight. Props to those that can.

Top Bottom