• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. as a Top Tier Fighter

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
R.O.B., despite his unpopularity among fans, has potential to be a top tier. Here is why:

- Fast. Very fast. He has wheels, for God's sake!
- Jumps are amazing. He can get off the screen using just his standard jumps.
- Good special moves:

B: The Laser

+
Good Knockback.
Fast Attack.

-
Low Damage

>B: Spin

+
Hits multiple times
Slight recovery

-
Low Damage

^B: Rocket Boosters

+
Amazing Recovery
Can be used more than once in the air,

-
None

VB: Gyromite
No comment

Final Smash: Supercharged Laser

+
High damage
Long duration
Can attack while using it

-
Low Knockback

Video of R.O.B. in training mode:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fLpB_lpmLgY

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
R.O.B. looks like a great fighter...

Will probably replace Samus as my main if she really is nerfed as much as I heard...

altir

Smash Apprentice
i'd definately say he's top tier.

seriousdly though, his fs looks beastly.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
u do realize B moves dont make a top tier right? Marth barely used B moves and was top tier.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Those discs are from Gyromite.
Search it up on youtube.

It's a scary thought, but ROB could possibly be the most powerful character in the game,
Well he IS
the Ancient Minister
after all...

Finn Macool

Smash Apprentice
sakura prbly knew people would stop *****in about him if he was top tier
i plan on mainin him, EYE LASERS people EYE LASERS

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I hope he's not top tier, then it will be hard to separate the tier whores from those who really love ROB

Kittah4

Smash Ace
If his side b in the air assists recovery and doesnt put him into fall special I fear he'll actually be pretty broken. I mean wow, a screen/character piercing neutral b? His down smash and bair looks excellent, and a multi use up b.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Yep, I'm pondering a guess here, but I'm gonna say that R.O.B. is a heavy character, like Bowser and Ganondorf, except faster but weaker than those mentioned.

He may have wheels, but he's still a bit large.

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
Until we have game for ourselfves (Barely any of us imported it from Japan) we can only obserb vids and assume he is a top tier. When we get the game for ourselfs, we will know after we experiment with him.

altir

Smash Apprentice
Those discs are from Gyromite.
Search it up on youtube.

It's a scary thought, but ROB could possibly be the most powerful character in the game,

this is a pic of a gyroscope. looks quite a bit like the gyromite disks don't it?

just a joke. sheesh.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
I can definitely see this

New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWhes1noXRM

The Dair is a BRUTAL spike, much like Lucario's in that Rob stops in midair and shoots a booster down. Look sort of late in the video, when ROB hits with it a couple times. Toon Link goes FLYING almost straight down. With ROB's jumps and uniquely great upB, I can see him being the best edgeguarder in the game by far.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, R.O.B. is definitely looking like an absolute edgeguarding beast. Besides the down-air meteor spike, his back-air is also quite strong and hits the opponent on a very low trajectory. If either of those moves connect a decent ways from the stage, you're as good as dead. Not only that, but both of those moves alter R.O.B.'s own trajectory in such a way that they actually propel him BACK towards the stage. Add in a crazily good up-B recovery and he'll be able to violently pursue recovering enemies with almost no regard for his own safety and he'll still always come out fine. The neutral-B laser looks like it might have some edgeguarding potential as well...I've seen it hit quite hard at a low trajectory a couple of times.

The only downside is that he doesn't have too much direct K.O. power on his other moves (aside from the up-smash), so you'll HAVE to rely on those supreme edgeguarding skills.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, R.O.B. is definitely looking like an absolute edgeguarding beast. Besides the down-air meteor spike, his back-air is also quite strong and hits the opponent on a very low trajectory. If either of those moves connect a decent ways from the stage, you're as good as dead. Not only that, but both of those moves alter R.O.B.'s own trajectory in such a way that they actually propel him BACK towards the stage. Add in a crazily good up-B recovery and he'll be able to violently pursue recovering enemies with almost no regard for his own safety and he'll still always come out fine. The neutral-B laser looks like it might have some edgeguarding potential as well...I've seen it hit quite hard at a low trajectory a couple of times.

The only downside is that he doesn't have too much direct K.O. power on his other moves (aside from the up-smash), so you'll HAVE to rely on those supreme edgeguarding skills.
Its difficult to edgeguard with Rob unless people are going straight for the edge. In other words its hard for him to hit people away from the stage as they come back because of the low priority of his aerials.

As for getting people when they come back to the stage I find his gyromite is nasty. Time it right and it will send people flying as they try to recover. And if they dodge or block it, you can follow up with a Laser.

ALB247

Smash Apprentice
I'd say I love R.O.B. just because everyone hated him when he was first revealed. If he's anything like he was in Mario Kart DS, then he'll be extremely heavy. In MKDS he was even heavier than Bowser.

Honestly though, a Final Smash that lets you keep on attacking, and basically prevents the other players from countering with anything close-ranged (and maybe it even takes out projectiles too) is pretty sweet. I haven't seen his full move-set, but I will definitely be trying him out for a few rounds at least, if not maining him.

jmed591

Smash Rookie
Someone in my dorm has a modded Wii and I've been playing this game nonstop for the past few days. We got ROB today and he is awesome. He's got a weird combination of very fast and weak and very slow and powerful moves in ways that most people don't. For example, his forward air comes out almost instantly but his bair has a lot of wind up time and massive power.

His forward B is pretty awful. It takes a long time to start, doesn't help you recover, has little or no knockback, and lags afterwards. However, he has one of the most amazing dairs in the game. It's a spike, as you've probably seen. However, it knocks people at more of a -75 degree angle instead of a -90, knocking them a little bit in the direction he's facing. This means you can spike someone who's not completely off the edge if they're decently high and still kill them. It also has massive range, although it doesn't spike if they're too far away. It also stops his downward momentum for a bit, allowing you to fake people out a bit and keep you from extending too close to them.

Another HUGE advantage that he has is his rediculously fast up smash. It comes out faster than most people's tilts and has insane power, killing most people around 80-100 uncharged. It doesn't hit anyone on ground level but it has pretty good range going upwards, making it amazing to pull on floaty characters that tend to hover above you.

Also the face laser is pretty predictable and usually only does around 5 damage or so, but it's still ****ing awesome because its a goddam FACE LASER.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
HA HA HA! XD

A wacky character who's going to be good?! Awesome.

I wondered who I was going to use as my "second man". That's it. I'm maining Wario with R.O.B. as my sub.

EazyP

Smash Ace
After played Brawl for 2 days, I thought Dedede would be my main...then we got Rob...

Rob is just good, all around, nothing really bad.

The air game on this robot is stupid. His nair is amazing, his bair is a great move as well, his uair does great damage and combos, Fair has great range and you can get two out in one short hop, but the real kicker is his dair being a spike or meteor smash

Being able to use his A attack in air while doing the up b is nuts too

Fsmash is pretty good, dsmash deals some good quick damage that you can follow up with air attacks

Short hop double fair, a fast game, good throws, amazing down and neutral b projectiles. He has range, he has damage, he has knockback, his kills are a little hard to get at first but once you get it down, he's a seriously good character. Not sure on top tier but upper for sure

Circles

Smash Cadet
Has anyone realized that he can tilt his forward smash?
Or is that old news?
If not you can smash with c-stick and tilt it up/down with the analog stick.

Please don't flame me if this is old, I just found out how great R.O.B was today.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Has anyone realized that he can tilt his forward smash?
Or is that old news?
If not you can smash with c-stick and tilt it up/down with the analog stick.

Please don't flame me if this is old, I just found out how great R.O.B was today.
Didn't hear of it, but you're not going to get flamed for this. This isn't gamefaqs, where every idiot is out to get you. :p

paralasalud

Smash Ace
dang, i haven't seen a REALLY aggressive ROB yet. i think we need to take advantage of his amazing recovery and aerials. a lot of the time people aren't going after the opponent while they're still in the air and off the stage.

Circles

Smash Cadet
dang, i haven't seen a REALLY aggressive ROB yet. i think we need to take advantage of his amazing recovery and aerials. a lot of the time people aren't going after the opponent while they're still in the air and off the stage.
No videos of aggressive rob yet? Maybe I will make one.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Its easy to play Rob aggresively. You need to use his projectiles to lead in to an attack. Then spam his A combo repeatedly to suck opponents in and get them with the Dsmash which will knock them upwards. Then in the air knock them around with his Uair, Nair and Fair. You want to eventually finish the opponent off with his Bair or Dair, or Usmash. All of these are best used when your opponent is in the air. You can also use Gyromite to knock people off and finish them with a Fair. The Fair is extremely useful. Especially when striking an opponent coming in to the stage. If you intercept in the air off the side of the stage and Fair it will have enough knockback to keep most characters from reaching the stage on their second attempt. As for characters with good flight you have to time the Bair or Dair to KO them at once.

His Fsmash is not good, even with the tilt. It has little knock back and short range. If you use his Up B in the air you cant air dodge immediately afterwards. You have to first do an A move, and then you can air dodge again. His throws are also sub par, though his down throw does send opponents upward.

His Gyromite is excellent but it can be used against you. His Lazer is wicked. It is best used when fully charged. Also master angling it to get opponents in the air.

Rob is really good but he is difficult to use against smaller characters like Metaknight, Toon Link and Olimar. Also Pit and Peach seem to have a technical advantage over him. And though he can build up damage quickly his finishes are subpar. On the ground his Usmash is the only reliable killer, but it doesnt hit opponents on the ground unless right next to them.
As for his aerial finishes, Bair and Dair, they get beat out often. His Nair is easier to land but does not have much KO power. His Nair and Bair are best used when pulling away from characters, while his Uair and Fair are better for advancing.

As for when ROB recovers it is best to land as soon as possible. Avoid fights especially while he is decending. He is easy to hit from underneath because of large lower hitbox. And he can easily get knocked off laterally at 150%. His best fighting is on the ground or with short hops, though he can follow up with high aerials when necessary.

Top Bottom