• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B and shields

Phanton404

Smash Rookie
Hi, I just wonder how is the best way, or how many ways do we have as R.O.B to apply some pressure to our opponent's shield. Of course if we see that they are too comfortable in their shield and are close to us we grab them, but I would like to know if this is an option as well.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
The easiest option is auto cancel nair, which is + on shield if spaced properly. On really big characters and Ryu I find spaced fair works well too, although that's pretty risky and shouldn't be abused.

AC nair is the best though since we have no lag afterwards. After it that you could go for the grab, run away, do another one, try to stuff out on of their offensive options with a jab/ftilt. Anything, really.

Lazlo_Bananas

Smash Cadet
Don't forget that because Gyro resets after hitting shield, you can also abuse it too and not worry too much about losing it. I'll usually do something along the lines of: Auto canceled nair, dtilt to grab; or Auto canceled nair, dtiltx2, gyro and apply shield pressure safely that way depending on their habits.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Dtilt spam is more or less safe on shield, at least compared to some of his moves. It would at least get a reaction out of them, anyway.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Just keep tossing gyros. The fact that they vanish after hitting shield isn't really a negative. When I fight opponents trying to approach, i always just spam gyros. If they shield them, I get to keep tossing them and if they get hit, well then they just got hit. Either way, I'm impeding my opponent and either hurting them or their shield. Other than that, ROB doesn't have any reliable tools. You can attempt to poke with dtilt, but you should really only do a couple before getting out of there if it doesn't poke by then. Nair's not safe.

Phanton404

Smash Rookie
How about breaking shields?
Have any of you found yourself taking your opponent's shield? Because I never do, ROB doesn't seem to be able to break them, but no harm in asking I guess.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
How about breaking shields?
Have any of you found yourself taking your opponent's shield? Because I never do, ROB doesn't seem to be able to break them, but no harm in asking I guess.
I have never once, in two years, broken a shield with R.O.B. I think the only feasible way to do it would be to dair (or strong hit of upsmash) a shield, then side b and pray to god it doesn't poke. Maybe gyro downthrow > dair > side b would be better. This is something I should lab, to be honest. But it is incredibly situational and probably won't happen unless your opponent is bad.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You're never going to break someone's shield. Your practical zoning moves all poke shields eventually.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think I have broken 2 shields on For Glory with Arm Rotor. But against good opponents you are probably better off trying to poke them instead of aiming for the shield since they will probably drop shield before it breaks anyway so might as well hit them as soon as possible.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Downtilt randomly to get them to be defensive when they see the speed, then fire the gyro at random charges and continue using short hop nair to down tilt with randomly charged gyros in between. I did this three times on different opponents to whittle down their shield and threw a gyro at the sky, and as it fell they reacted with shield and I broke it with semi charged Fsmash. Arm rotor is better for poking though, no good opponent will shield your fsmash

Top Bottom