• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Advanced Tech, Tactics, and Tips

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I still think ROB is great in teams. In Melee, Samus is a wonderful teams partner, and ROB is good for several of the same things.

ROB is great at walling out an opponent if his teammate is really good at 1v1 situations. Characters who can really benefit off of this are the spacees, Sheik, and Marth. In addition, if ROB sees that his partner is in trouble, or he sees the chance to help him pressure/combo the opponent, he can effortlessly throw a quick tilt in and resume what he was doing. On top of all that, if ROB sees that things are going awry, he can shoot a laser and reset the situation regardless of where he is on-stage. Naturally, ROB can also go deep offstage to secure gimps set up by himself or his teammate. He can also be a sturdy tank to hide behind in certain situations.

Edit: Obviously, ROB also has the added benefit of living forever, making him a great stock tank as well. :estatic:

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
How does one perform the move where ROB throws the gyro and slides across the screen, almost as if having done a DACUS?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Dodge Roll->input throw command
I do it both with Shield->control stick left/right->A+direction (usually the direction I'm going) or shield->control stick left/right->c-stick direction I want to throw.
I think the faster you do it, the more momentum you get.
Not entirely sure what the window is for it, it's only the first few frames of the roll though, probably like 5 or something.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
That's what I thought...I guess I'm just having trouble getting it consistently. Are there any players that use this regularly? As far as I can tell, JC doesn't do it much. Maybe I'm just expecting it to go farther than it actually does. Could you try to describe the maximum slide distance?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You mean glide tossing? I probably use it more than anyone. It's my go-to approach, and if I don't have a gyro out, I feel I'm doing something wrong.

Just look up any guide for glide tossing in Brawl, it's the same input. If it helps, reverse glide tossing (rolling backwards) goes farther than doing it forwards.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You mean glide tossing? I probably use it more than anyone. It's my go-to approach, and if I don't have a gyro out, I feel I'm doing something wrong.

Just look up any guide for glide tossing in Brawl, it's the same input. If it helps, reverse glide tossing (rolling backwards) goes farther than doing it forwards.
For consistency's sake, you should consider adjusting his rolls so they both move they same speed and have the same glide toss. Just doesn't make sense to me from a design perspective that he should slide backwards faster than he slides forward, ya'know.

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
For consistency's sake, you should consider adjusting his rolls so they both move they same speed and have the same glide toss. Just doesn't make sense to me from a design perspective that he should slide backwards faster than he slides forward, ya'know.
Not to mention that improving his forward glide toss would make gyro throw > grab much more feasible as well.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
ALSO, JCaesar, is it intentional that ROB sometimes doesn't get his boosts back when he lands? Not like, a knocked-down landing, like a soft landing or a air dodge landing. I often waveland off a platform then spam side-b->waveland off->repeat and he'll eventually do a failed boost. Same thing for just running off the stage. I did this on lylat, multiple times today: Ran offstage->instantly boosted back on for a soft landing->instantly ran back off->repeat 3-4 times and he'll run out of boosts as if he never landed. Not quite sure what gives tbh; this doesn't seem like it should be there.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
^Must be a timing thing related to how the recovery rate returned in Brawl...

It's my go-to approach, and if I don't have a gyro out, I feel I'm doing something wrong.
That`s funny, and not so good. lol

Oracle

Smash Master
The boost losing thing happens to me to. I think you have to actually be in a neutral state ie standing or crouching, basically not in lag of some sort, to get boosts back

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
What's wrong with a little flavor? A lot of characters have different forward and backward glidetosses.

Not to mention that improving his forward glide toss would make gyro throw > grab much more feasible as well.
If you throw the gyro forward, you will end up facing forward out of your glidetoss, no matter which direction you started it in.

ALSO, JCaesar, is it intentional that ROB sometimes doesn't get his boosts back when he lands? Not like, a knocked-down landing, like a soft landing or a air dodge landing. I often waveland off a platform then spam side-b->waveland off->repeat and he'll eventually do a failed boost. Same thing for just running off the stage. I did this on lylat, multiple times today: Ran offstage->instantly boosted back on for a soft landing->instantly ran back off->repeat 3-4 times and he'll run out of boosts as if he never landed. Not quite sure what gives tbh; this doesn't seem like it should be there.
It is not intentional. I thought I covered every possible landing state (run is unnecessary because you can't transition to run without being in a landing state first) but perhaps I missed one. I will look into it.

I know you get your boosts back from all attack landing lag and tech/tumble landing. However, getting grabbed without touching the ground works like grabbing the edge: If you have 0 boosts left, you get 1 back, but that's it.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What's wrong with a little flavor? A lot of characters have different forward and backward glidetosses.
Well ROB's rolls look exactly the same either direction, figured it'd make sense for them to operate the same. Oh well, w/e floats your boat. I find flavor to be a pretty lame reason by itself though.

It is not intentional. I thought I covered every possible landing state (run is unnecessary because you can't transition to run without being in a landing state first) but perhaps I missed one. I will look into it.
What about a soft landing? Not the four frame one, I mean the 0 frame one. Like when a character has a jump that perfectly reaches a platform, and they don't do the ~30 frame landing animation with IASA-by-anything-other-than-platform-fall-through on frame 5, that soft landing. Whatever it's called. Rob can do that out of a side-b, if it's low to the ground. That can transition directly into run without going into the basic landing animation. Is that the reason?

Also I'm not sure if you've said, but landfallspecial, from air dodging out for a waveland, doesn't appear to refresh boosts either. I think. I know this was an issue before, not sure if it remains in 2.6b, I'll test it here in a bit if I can.

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
If you throw the gyro forward, you will end up facing forward out of your glidetoss, no matter which direction you started it in.

I know that. Just adding to DrinkingFood's post about extending the glide toss distance. The more distance covered with the glide toss, the more feasible it is to actually get in the opponent's face if they shield the gyro for a free grab.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
well, I didn't mean to necessarily extend it, just that they should be the same distance
shrinking back glide toss works too but but who wants nerfs def not me and everyone thinks ROB sucks anyways

batistabus

Smash Journeyman

Hmm...apparently I've been doing it then. I thought it was something else. I just expected ROB to slide farther I guess.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Is there actually a reason why being grabbed before touching the ground (or grabbing the ledge) does not give ROB's full recovery back when it does just that for literally every other character in the game bar tethers? I've always wondered that but only now decided to voice it here.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Same reason getting hit doesn't give ROB his up-B back, even though it works that way for everyone else.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
One would think that being grabbed and therefore touching the ground would give him his boosts back, but the bigger question is why you're getting grabbed while recovering.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That's not really a big question at all. Mistakes happen, but all other characters get another chance after screwing up like this in the form of their full recoveries back. To be totally honest, I really don't mind. I'm already completely used to ROB's recovery since I've been playing him since 2.1, but I just thought I'd ask the question, since it's a strange case of departure from an otherwise completely consistent mechanic. Even with ROB's recovery, it's really hard for him to get past some characters, even after grabbing the ledge.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
what's all this perfect boosting I keep hearing about? also, has anyone checked the possibilities with aerial glide tossing? I've been playing around with it and I feel as though having a gyro in your hands might be a better option to approach with. a good up glide toss sends rob flying higher than his second jump, and you can grab a gyro in the air and immediately glidetoss it if you position yourself correctly.

here's a silly tech.
aerial glidetoss up while throwing down and then fast fall. as the gyro bounces on the floor, grab it and aerial glidetoss it again. you can repeat this forever.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I don't think you can AGT forever. IIRC, the AGT distance decreases with each consecutive AGT. Perhaps JCaesar can confirm or elaborate on this.

No idea what you mean by "perfect boost", but if you're referring to what DrinkingFood was talking about, I believe that's called a 'no-impact landing'. You land perfectly, without descending, so you have no lag.

I think it's well-known that an AGT up has about the same distance as ROB's jump, which is great for recovery, but I personally think grounded GTs would be more useful.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
it's mentioned in the MU thread

also, quick question: with the robo boosters having a minimum height of the ground at which they can be performed now from a short hop, can u still do perfect boost fair > jab for shield pressure that will give u frame advantage over a sheild grab? it would help if JCeasar was on this thread cuz he is the one who talked about that before in the last smash mods thread about this.
I guess I was referring to the perfect boost fair. is there a difference?

also, I think it is infinite. I can pull it off pretty consistently and all at the same height. you don't even have to fastfall, just by timing it right it works. I'll see if I can make a gif or something.

EDIT: Made a dumb video. I pulled it off like 13 times. enjoy

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Oh that quote was from after 2.5 got released quite awhile ago lol. The term was being thrown around back then on a stream JCeaser did, part of which was describing how ROB could booster > fair > jab on the ground and have just enough advantage on block to avoid grabs if done perfectly. That's all that I think is being referred to by the term.

AGT can be used very effectively sometimes in baiting aerial approaches and punishing them. It's great for positioning, but I agree that the grounded glide toss approach will be useful more of the time

Last edited:

Vickyboi

Smash Cadet
So, any uses for doing and aerial out of boost while holding the gyro, or is it just better to not hold the gyro while boosting?

Oracle

Smash Master
You can do like boost fair on shield and glide toss away to make it a little safer, or do glide toss down to cross up and stuff. Item game is something I need to work on with rob bc it has so much potential if used right

Vickyboi

Smash Cadet
That's what I was thinking.
I'm gonna explore his item game a bit!
Boost fair>turn around>backroll glide toss>?? at higher %?
Maybe...
/Theorysmashing

big sleep

չչչ
on the gyro topic from the earlier page: it's an illusion to think the ability to catch items with wavedash is a big hit to projectile users. when you're holding an item, you only have 1 option with the A button. ROB's glide toss is also too fast, long, and recovers too quickly to give them any sort of notable advantage off of catching gyro with WD. it's a super useful technique for him, approaching, retreating, and it helps oos since his shield is not good.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yeah, Ron is right. If an opponent picks up my gyro, I just treat him as if he was a Peach that just picked up a turnip or something. You can go whale on him because he can't really do anything unless he's a char who's good with items and was ready to use it right there. Not to mention, you can just grounded sideB right in. Your opponent can't stop it with an item in his hand, and a thrown gyro would just be reflected right back at him.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
this characters rolls are absolute trash

also how do rob's aerials work? Forgive me, I'm yet to actually pick the character.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
this characters rolls are absolute trash

also how do rob's aerials work? Forgive me, I'm yet to actually pick the character.
yeah robsux or something like that, anyway
aerials work by pressing a direction+A. If they hit the opponent they do damage, and an amount of knockback based on the opponent's current total damage.
jk, they do +2 damage if executed out of a boost. Dair also is unique in that its hitbox shrinks after the first use each air time and loses 2 damage with it

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
yeah, all of robs stuff is a bunch of strange hitboxes

looks like robs frame data thread will be you and me having a discussion :^)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The rolls are trash but they're pretty much ROB's only way of getting out of pressure from behind if you don't have a gyro in hand. :ohwell:

ROB's bair cuts all vertical momentum. His dair gives him a little pop upwards the first time you use it per air time. After that, it will still stall you and preserve your horizontal momentum, so you can keep using it to recover, but it won't pop ROB up anymore.

Top Bottom