• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quitting The Game (Possibly Open Ended)

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hello everyone!
I decided to drop Smash 4 a couple of reasons (best way to start a thread is with a bad pun):

-The time investment to reward ratio is much too high. I find that I haven't really been enjoying the game much considering the time and effort I put in it.
-I never felt I had a well matched character in this game (Jiggles in 64 and Melee & Wolf/Sheik in Brawl were chars I meshed well with in the past). Experimenting with chars takes a lot of investment, too (I've been doing this for awhile, so it's not for lack of effort on my part). Not to mention using new chars means having to learn all the MUs again, which is a hassle
-I get too stressed playing competitive/online. I think I've become too focused on winning, so I find my heart rate going up too much over such a silly thing. In addition, when I get too into it, I sacrifice sleep, which is no good for me.
-My expectations for success were higher than what I've achieved. I grew up knowing a prominent Melee player who's told me I might have what it takes to be very good at Smash. So this perception has cast a shadow over my performance for awhile, and not fulfilling this prediction gets me down (maybe I'm playing the wrong Smash game for all I know)
-Online FG is an unpleasant place. For some reason I'm in the banland on 3ds and it absolutely takes any fun out of the game thanks to lag and really rude people.
-Fighting games might not be the best match for me as a genre. I find my decision making is not really that great when it's such a real time game as this. I'm much more suited to turn based combat since it's what I grew up on and is what I'm good at.
-I take some losses to heart, which is not a healthy outlook (specifically against rude people/cookie cutter FG tactics that I can't punish due to lag and lag spikes favoring non-Ryu players)

So yeah, these are the core reasons I'm dropping the game. I'm not really looking to get back into the game unless I can start taking the game a little less seriously, feel the want to jump back in, and/or manage my time and enjoyment with the game in a healthier way. I may still post to give insight and thoughts.

I suppose I'll make some shoutouts (will add to it as I go):

-Emblem Lord for explaining the principles of footsies and neutral game/tools in his Marth and Ryu articles. Also for telling it like it is
-The Ryu discord for giving advice for annoying MUs
-The ZSS discord for being really cool all around
-PK Bash for making suggestions for chars that would fit my playstyle
-Wintropy for being an enjoyable poster in the Pit/Dark Pit boards back when I mained him
-FamilyTeam for being an objective poster in the face of adversity before Lucina was considered good
-Trela for being my fav player of this game

Posts are welcome, but please keep it civil!

Edit: Please don't let this discourage anyone from going to locals or tourneys. Almost everyone I met is nice. The experience offline with this game is MUCH better than online.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hello everyone!
I decided to drop Smash 4 a couple of reasons (best way to start a thread is with a bad pun):

-The time investment to reward ratio is much too high. I find that I haven't really been enjoying the game much considering the time and effort I put in it.
-I never felt I had a well matched character in this game (Jiggles in 64 and Melee & Wolf/Sheik in Brawl were chars I meshed well with in the past). Experimenting with chars takes a lot of investment, too (I've been doing this for awhile, so it's not for lack of effort on my part). Not to mention using new chars means having to learn all the MUs again, which is a hassle
-I get too stressed playing competitive/online. I think I've become too focused on winning, so I find my heart rate going up too much over such a silly thing. In addition, when I get too into it, I sacrifice sleep, which is no good for me.
-My expectations for success were higher than what I've achieved. I grew up knowing a prominent Melee player who's told me I might have what it takes to be very good at Smash. So this perception has cast a shadow over my performance for awhile, and not fulfilling this prediction gets me down (maybe I'm playing the wrong Smash game for all I know)
-Online FG is an unpleasant place. For some reason I'm in the banland on 3ds and it absolutely takes any fun out of the game thanks to lag and really rude people.
-Fighting games might not be the best match for me as a genre. I find my decision making is not really that great when it's such a real time game as this. I'm much more suited to turn based combat since it's what I grew up on and is what I'm good at.
-I take some losses to heart, which is not a healthy outlook (specifically against rude people/cookie cutter FG tactics that I can't punish due to lag and lag spikes favoring non-Ryu players)

So yeah, these are the core reasons I'm dropping the game. I'm not really looking to get back into the game unless I can start taking the game a little less seriously, feel the want to jump back in, and/or manage my time and enjoyment with the game in a healthier way. I may still post to give insight and thoughts.

I suppose I'll make some shoutouts (will add to it as I go):

-Emblem Lord for explaining the principles of footsies and neutral game/tools in his Marth and Ryu articles. Also for telling it like it is
-The Ryu discord for giving advice for annoying MUs
-The ZSS discord for being really cool all around
-PK Bash for making suggestions for chars that would fit my playstyle
-Wintropy for being an enjoyable poster in the Pit/Dark Pit boards back when I mained him
-FamilyTeam for being an objective poster in the face of adversity before Lucina was considered good
-Trela for being my fav player of this game

Posts are welcome, but please keep it civil!
You could also just chill and take a vacation from the game for a while, come back, pick a character that's low maintenance (or play with a low maintenance style; just do basic stuff), and just play with people on discord (you could curve your fg experience by playing 3/5s with everyone until you meet someone you like playing and is nice). Don't have to be drastic and quit the game. And decisions like that just come with experience.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, as someone who's incredibly disillusioned with his own skill level and the community in general, I fully support OP's decision. I don't feel like people who are able to control their emotions and stress well enough to consistently have fun with this game (so, basically, most of the people who frequent this site) are really capable of understanding the struggle of those who aren't. If playing the game itself stresses you out as much as it does myself, then yes, you absolutely should stop playing, at least for a few months. Believe me, dropping the game did me wonders in reducing my overall stress.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Honestly, as someone who's incredibly disillusioned with his own skill level and the community in general, I fully support OP's decision. I don't feel like people who are able to control their emotions and stress well enough to consistently have fun with this game (so, basically, most of the people who frequent this site) are really capable of understanding the struggle of those who aren't. If playing the game itself stresses you out as much as it does myself, then yes, you absolutely should stop playing, at least for a few months. Believe me, dropping the game did me wonders in reducing my overall stress.

You could also just chill and take a vacation from the game for a while
You didn't have to quit completely either.
To add more info, I've had stressful moments with angering players, but I learned how to deal with it. Breaks and learning to stop talking stuff personal are huuuuge boons for good experiences. Learning to stop talking things personally is a life lesson and is one that'll take growth and mental awareness. For example, you must learn that people online are as distant from you as they can get, so their comments don't matter (you won't see them again for a WHILE or ever even). Your interaction with them (if they're trippin) will be for one or two games.

Here's a hack: make a name titled "2/3" or "3/5." Of the players are trash/trippin, use the names and act accordingly (say nothing to either). Anyone else, don't use the name.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I'll definitely give the game a wide berth for now. If I pick it back up, I'll probably start from the basics again, just to give myself a fresh start. Probably use Ike for awhile and then work from there. Heck, even Marcina could probably suffice too.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I'll definitely give the game a wide berth for now. If I pick it back up, I'll probably start from the basics again, just to give myself a fresh start. Probably use Ike for awhile and then work from there. Heck, even Marcina could probably suffice too.
I use Zard (I used to have trouble maining a character until I thought long-term). But, yeah dude, just relax and mellow out. Also, here, that shows you ways to calm down.

Top Bottom