• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quickplay fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I win some, I lose some, I don't care. I'm just pretty ****ing bored with playing against the same 4 anime swordsmen spamming f-air / side special basically every single time I get put into a match. Like 7 out of 10 times is my honest guess. It kills online for me because there's this huge roster of great characters and yet it feels like I'm playing against only one of them, with no playstyle variety whatsoever to boot. I'm salty.

The highlight of my online experience today is that I played a Diddy and got bodied.

Has anyone else been experiencing something akin to this and wants to vent? What do you do to deal with quickplay fatigue?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I don't think I've seen *that* little variety. From playing basically all day, from the depths of 1M GSP up to 2.6M, I saw over two dozen picks, a solid third of the cast. Lots of ridley, lucina, belmont. Some chrom with the rare marth or roy. Some kirby, pichu, incineroar, cloud. Various forms of link. A surprising number of ness and lucas. Occasional k rool, PT, little mac, DDD, shulk, bayonetta. A couple palu mirrors. I also fought a single diddy and a single daisy, and I think a couple snake and metaknight. I thought I would see more inklings, but all the inklings I saw were in elite smash, which I didn't hit until near the end of the day.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I don't think I've seen *that* little variety. From playing basically all day, from the depths of 1M GSP up to 2.6M, I saw over two dozen picks, a solid third of the cast. Lots of ridley, lucina, belmont. Some chrom with the rare marth or roy. Some kirby, pichu, incineroar, cloud. Various forms of link. A surprising number of ness and lucas. Occasional k rool, PT, little mac, DDD, shulk, bayonetta. A couple palu mirrors. I also fought a single diddy and a single daisy, and I think a couple snake and metaknight. I thought I would see more inklings, but all the inklings I saw were in elite smash, which I didn't hit until near the end of the day.
I envy you. I occasionally see the PK bois but other than that it's almost exclusively Marth and his derivatives and it makes the game mega boring.

I don't even see K. Rool anymore, and he used to be an extremely common pick from my opponents.

I too am in Elite Smash

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Only thing getting fatigued are my hands lol.

Hmmm
Uhm I made another thread about this that didn't really take off but, yeah, I'm having the same issue. You use GC controller?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Uhm I made another thread about this that didn't really take off but, yeah, I'm having the same issue. You use GC controller?
Joycons. I'm just getting used to the tiny controllers vs what I normally use wiichuck combo

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
Joycons. I'm just getting used to the tiny controllers vs what I normally use wiichuck combo
I don't see the joycons as a long term usage type controller at all, I'd say it's inevitable your hands would be hurting

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I don't see the joycons as a long term usage type controller at all, I'd say it's inevitable your hands would be hurting
Yeah I was a bit disappointed to say the least seeing as I learned on Brawl and have been using the wiichuck combo since what 2008? 10 years is a long time to try to unlearn something but I just can't seem to play nearly as well with a GameCube controller. Ah well it's better than nothing.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Personally, I've been put against 1/3 of the cast.
I've fought against really good Dark Samus one named Joker that bodied me like 10+ matches but it was really fun.
Also a pretty good defensive Zelda named GGG George or something that bodied my Ganon, also pretty fun matches.
A really campy Duck Hunt called ASA, got me a few times but finally managed to defeat him with Megaman ( Long af match ).

Funny enough the Fire Emblem cast are the easiest ones to beat because once you start parrying their attacks and give them a good punish they go down.

Parry is especially effective against them because the lack multi-hit aerials.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I hate sword characters and miis. Miis ruin the immersion and sword characters are bland. Even with melee its wack watching a marth vs roy compared to pikachu vs fox

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
My right trigger finger is regularly sore. I've considered removing the spring from it but terrified if I don't like it, that I won't be able to get it back in correctly

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
In my experience the 5 most common characters in quickplay are, in no order:

Lucina
Chrom
Ganondorf
Pikachu/Pichu
Link/young link

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I guess I should contribute to the actual thread topic as well. The only characters I've not ran into are Bayonetta, Greninja, Mii Brawler, and Mii Gunner. The rest have been a fairly even spread, at least since people learned that K Rool is not completely impervious.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I hate sword characters and miis. Miis ruin the immersion and sword characters are bland. Even with melee its wack watching a marth vs roy compared to pikachu vs fox
Nothing more annoying than running into yet another penis faced mii who spams the same couple of moves.

Raiks

Smash Rookie
What's your GSP?? I love sword fights and very rarely I find other good swordies, what I find the most are K. rools and Palutenas, a LOT of Palutenas.

Your hate for swordies is the same hate I have against projectile characters, it gets boring playing defensively but I don't find a lot of spammers at my rank, if you win the neutral against FAIRS and BAIRS you will force swordies to try other things (if they are good), just keep punishing and see how they stop spamming.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
What's your GSP?? I love sword fights and very rarely I find other good swordies, what I find the most are K. rools and Palutenas, a LOT of Palutenas.

Your hate for swordies is the same hate I have against projectile characters, it gets boring playing defensively but I don't find a lot of spammers at my rank, if you win the neutral against FAIRS and BAIRS you will force swordies to try other things (if they are good), just keep punishing and see how they stop spamming.
I'm in/around elite smash depending on the character. I have been on vacation away from my switch for a little under a week now so I'm not sure what specific GSP that is currently.

Really it's not the spamming that bothers me, it's just the seemingly endless number of swords I fight whenever I play online, of which every player plays the exact same. I get bored

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Speaking of characters falling off, the Belmonts have become an endangered species in Elite Smash as of the late. Not that I'm complaining, it's not exactly a thrilling matchup.

But...this thread gets me thinking...who do I most commonly face? Who do I rarely/never encounter? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've fought a single Duck Hunt, not in singles anyway. I guess I see Inkling more often than I would like, that's always annoying. Isabelle was a common sight but I have yet to encounter a single competent one. I see Ness less often than other common characters, but I'm never happy to see Mr. My recovery can't be teched because special zoom is actually jank. Sword wielders are kinda common I guess, mostly Chrom with the occasional Cloud, but most of those are pretty free. You know who I see wayyyy too often? Snake. I see him everywhere. I think I'm cursed to have matches that are either far too easy or far too stressful. We don't rematch those.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Speaking of characters falling off, the Belmonts have become an endangered species in Elite Smash as of the late. Not that I'm complaining, it's not exactly a thrilling matchup.

But...this thread gets me thinking...who do I most commonly face? Who do I rarely/never encounter? Now that I think about it, I don't think I've fought a single Duck Hunt, not in singles anyway. I guess I see Inkling more often than I would like, that's always annoying. Isabelle was a common sight but I have yet to encounter a single competent one. I see Ness less often than other common characters, but I'm never happy to see Mr. My recovery can't be teched because special zoom is actually jank. Sword wielders are kinda common I guess, mostly Chrom with the occasional Cloud, but most of those are pretty free. You know who I see wayyyy too often? Snake. I see him everywhere. I think I'm cursed to have matches that are either far too easy or far too stressful. We don't rematch those.
I played a single quickplay match as duck hunt and I am convinced that I am the only person to have done so since release

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I played a single quickplay match as duck hunt and I am convinced that I am the only person to have done so since release
No you're wrong, I'm the only one who has done that

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
I haven't necessarily gotten bored with it yet, but I do agree a lot of people tend to like the Fire Emblems. I have a feeling it's more prominent in and around elite smash, since that's where all the good people play. And since the Fire Emblems are considered to be the best, that is what they play. It is a shame, but I hope their popularity will die down after awhile once new strategies for other characters arise.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
I have been constantly practicing every day offline and then going online playing people in Battle Arena's and QP

But doing this for months I am just like burned out. Especially when most of my friends who I practice with and had fun time with quit

I like games for a social aspect but there is 0 social aspect and the Online is stagnant/dead. Offline none of my friends are competitive players.

Only put 400 hours into the game too.

How do you guys deal with getting bored of this game?

Amon O

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7305 3643 0520
I got lucky and found some dudes who are on my exact level to play with, it helps a lot. Also taking a break for a few days really refreshes it. I’ve moved more towards battle arenas lately as online QP is seemingly more and more full of gimmicks ( I’m in elite smash with all but 2 of my characters so maybe it’s just there but I have a feeling it’s QP as a whole ) like full items, normal stage G&W spamming up special and down A.

In short, find peeps on your level. It keeps it fresh.

GhostM

Phantom
Usually I would deal with a burnout from a game by just putting it down and playing other games that I enjoy. It’s normal to feel so burned out from a game especially if you play it consistently on a day to day basis. If you’re worried that you’ll lose all of your techniques due to absence of playtime, just play every now and then instead of daily. I’m not sure how long exactly you spend practicing and playing online, but I’d reduce that to be around 2 hours or less. The more playtime the more likely you’re going to be burned out.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I like games for a social aspect but there is 0 social aspect and the Online is stagnant/dead. Offline none of my friends are competitive players.
If you want to play and be social, join the Smash Grounds discord!!
https://discord.gg/y72bQX

We're a very friendly group dedicated to helping everyone improve with skills ranging from mid- to high-level play. You can find someone to play with a lot of the time, and we love to use voice chat!

We also host a monthly tournament for our members, and have a YouTube channel for posting our replays!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIAMC2Qk1UQB9nLxPjI6Bvg

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
If you want to play and be social, join the Smash Grounds discord!!
https://discord.gg/y72bQX

We're a very friendly group dedicated to helping everyone improve with skills ranging from mid- to high-level play. You can find someone to play with a lot of the time, and we love to use voice chat!

We also host a monthly tournament for our members, and have a YouTube channel for posting our replays!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIAMC2Qk1UQB9nLxPjI6Bvg
Discord link is invalid could you send a working one

D

Deleted member

I have a nasty habit of going into autopilot whenever I go into disadvantage. If I go down a stock, I play desperately and fish for KOs. If I'm thrown offstage, I either immediately reach for the ledge and ledge jump, or go as far down as I can, only to either SD or be killed anyway.

This results in less mixups, which is a problem. How do I remove autopilot from my mentality?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Start by asking yourself how you learned these habits (good or bad, be as broad as you want) in the first place. Unlearning I find is difficult compared to learning new habits to replace the old ones. Like all new habits, you need to put yourself in said situations/try new options enough times until they become second nature.

The example that I can break down/visualize best is getting caught in a move that requires you to SDI (PK Fire in this case). Getting out of it isn't the most difficult thing in the world, but once they pick up on it, Ness can then then do different follow ups (cover air dodges/jumping away, reset with another projectile/trap, or just maintain stage presence by doing things like charging Yo-Yo). Some characters have specific tools that help (switching out Pokemon with PT, counter/reversal moves, etc.) while others just have to bite the bullet, and be extra cautious to not let themselves be in that situation to begin with (I play Ridley, getting hit once means you're eating a hefty combo/potentially early death).

Much more easily said as it is done. But that's what practice is all about,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom