• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Quickplay and Battle Arena

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Do both players get disconnected or is the quitter replaced with a lvl 3 cpu?

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Anyone experiencing sudden shutdown and freezing of Arena room?
My Arena room shutdown and freeze more than 20 times a day!!

Baddest bih

Smash Cadet
I keep trying to join arenas and it says “unable to connect to other consoles please try again” so I can’t play the game wtf Nintendo. Can somebody tell me what to do because every arena I join I get this message

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You should provide more detail...

Did it just start happening? Has it always happened? Do you have a stable internet connection with NAT type A or B? Can you play other online modes? Can you host your own arena?

Baddest bih

Smash Cadet
You should provide more detail...

Did it just start happening? Has it always happened? Do you have a stable internet connection with NAT type A or B? Can you play other online modes? Can you host your own arena?
It’s always happening and what is this NAT stuff?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I see so many Ganondorfs. Yesterday I was doing 2v2 matches with a friend, and we ran into four different teams in a row that had Ganondorf on it, and in general it seemed like half the teams we fought had Ganondorfs.

Why is he so frequently played?

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf start to become a joke to me.. cause hes becoming so common,
i mean i fought alot of really bad Ganondorfs lately that i could handle without to much effort..i used to HATE Ganondorf cause only good players seemed to play him but now hes been a piece of cake for me alot xD

i guess people think cause hes so powerful they can easily K.O others and fun fact..they are almost always aggressive,
they rarely seem to try to shield/avoid that it's so easy to punish them lol

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
  1. Bad players who want to cheese out wins in lag.
  2. Bad-to-decent players who want to style on you and go for disrespect only.
That about covers 99% of the Ganondorf players I run into online. None of them play neutral and only go for his power and disrespect options. The other 1% might actually be good with the character, but I very seldom find one. When I do, they don't stick around very long.

LittleMissEevee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FoxieKyu
3DS FC
3711-8557-9264
Switch FC
SW-5003-6584-4623
He’s a generally easy character to understand with really powerful attacks and lots of combo potential, and long limbs mean lots of safety in many situations, he’s also a mindgames character so if you are mediocre you can make a new player’s life a living hell, not only that but he has style points, he’s basically the best character to disrespect with on a low level

link2702

Smash Champion
He’s only common at the lower levels of play. He vanishes almost immediately in elite smash as his disadvantages are too great and easier to exploit by a smarter player. The few of us who stick with him always fight an uphill battle as we have to deal with pichu’s, peach/daisy, the nair spam goddess, snakes, and wolfs (who are far far far more common, just about every other match anymore for me end up being against wolfs, those are the bandwagon players, and the frustrating part is he’s a good character so he’s actually a threat there) and oddly...ddd? Honestly I’m not too sure why on the last one, ddd doesn’t seem to have near as good as tools as the other characters i listed, yet he’s still one of the more common characters I run into.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Ive always had ganon as a secondary for years. Playing him has always been fun for me. But I'd venture to guess it has a little bit to do with Nairo's influence.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's easy to take games with him, but not tournament games, as in best of 3. And the lag also helps Ganondorf a lot, this has been going on since Brawl.

I feel I'm kind of hypocritical here though because I also have Ganondorf in Elite Smash. Just took me 2 matches to get there but still...

Last edited:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Its because he is a stand out character with an overly rewarding B button and default C stick. Smash is a really hard game, and lag doesnt make it any easier online. Bad players naturally gravitate towards spamming characters with incredibly easy hit boxes that dump on other bad players that have no defense. I too see tons of Ganons that actually can't play the game at all and just rely on approaching with B abilities and pressing the C stick in whatever direction I am in. And they make it over 3m GSP doing this.

Not to **** on Ganon since hes actually not easy to pull off, but I do see the degenerate Ganon's more than anything else. What I rarely see is one that actually knows how to abuse the abilities. Like his side B and down B are insane wiff punishes but these guys just use them to throw out a hit box and see if I jump into it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Heh

He's my only character in Elite.

He was bumped when the update happened but was back in within 3 matches...

He's dumb hahahaha wah! Ewww-WAH heeYAH ........... OOOOOOOOYAH!

and 20 stocks go flying

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Heh

He's my only character in Elite.

He was bumped when the update happened but was back in within 3 matches...

He's dumb hahahaha wah! Ewww-WAH heeYAH ........... OOOOOOOOYAH!

and 20 stocks go flying
Your Ganon sounds are better than mine. I just hear different inflections of hurrrr and durrrrr

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
King Dedede has been more common for me. He shows up all the time, even in Elite Smash. The worst part is, they almost always do the same damn thing! Spam gordos and neutral b off the stage. They are not only annoying, but they are boring as well. It is just the same fight over and over again. I’d rather face top tiers because at least then, I could learn about their strengths and weaknesses. All that most of these Dededes want to do is just troll. I like King Dedede, but I am really tired of fighting against him online.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Hi, I am new to the SmashBoards and I have been playing Smash for years. I have only recently been playing online quite a bit and although it leaves a lot to be desired, I have had some crazy experiences already. One was where I was Palutena and my opponent was Link and while it started out normal enough, but at the end of the fight, I used my up smash and he used his side B. Despite being several feet away from the up smash, it somehow counted as hit and KOed Link. When the dramatic zoom effect happened, it showed that Link was not even close to the beam! The worst part about it was the fact that I was at 135% on my last stock. While I got excited when it happened, I honestly felt bad for the Link player because it was completely unexpected.

What are some your craziest experiences you had online with either friends or against anyone? Whether it would be a sick comeback that came out of nowhere or an amazing play, post whatever experience sticks out to you!

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I was fighting a Lucina. After about a dozen matches, I messed up my recovery at the beginning of the match and died with <10%, just a really clumsy mistake missing the ledge with my up B. She jumped off the edge on purpose to put the stocks even at 2-2.

I think that was the most honorable thing I've ever seen somebody do online tbh.

After that, I went to the corner of the platform and did a really long crouch, to signify a bow or to show respect for that gesture, and they returned it back to me, before we continued fighting as normal.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
I was fighting a Lucina. After about a dozen matches, I messed up my recovery at the beginning of the match and died with <10%, just a really clumsy mistake missing the ledge with my up B. She jumped off the edge on purpose to put the stocks even at 2-2.
Only wimps want to be insulted by pity SDs from the opponent. Pity SDs are insulting like any other form of sandbagging. People pity SDed on me in the past and many regretted it because I got them souped like the noobs they were and then returned the favour of disrespect by taunting.

Save the pity SDs for your girlfriend, little babies, or other such wimps like Predatoria who will appreciate being treated like a noob.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Only wimps want to be insulted by pity SDs from the opponent. Pity SDs are insulting like any other form of sandbagging. People pity SDed on me in the past and many regretted it because I got them souped like the noobs they were and then returned the favour of disrespect by taunting.

Save the pity SDs for your girlfriend, little babies, or other such wimps like Predatoria who will appreciate being treated like a noob.
Hey, no need to be rude to him. It is fine if you don’t like SDs on purpose to even up the stocks, but don’t attack someone just because they see it differently from you.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
lol you need to chill dude. If I realize someone goofed, I will drop a stock to to make it even. I've done it a few times and I've had people do it to me as well.

It wasn't here, but on Smash4 I got stuck in some weird white zone where there were no blast zones. We got placed in sudden death and just messed around for a bit, especially when the bombs started dropping. It was fun for a while, but then we all got to 999%. I was afraid to quit because it was the only way out of the match and of course I got a 20 minute penalty.

It never happened to me before and never happened again.

Oh but I was using ToonLink during one touch fight. Can't remember who my opponent was using, but they knocked me off the stage and figured I would be able to recover because I used my up recovery. So they taunted just as the bomb I was holding blew up, got me to the ledge, and I was able to smash them off the stage while they were still mid-taunt.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626

Some people call it homie stocks cause that's what homies would do to even the match if they slip up. By the way he described it, that was definitely an SD for the truest homie. :shades:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Craziest and funniest ting that happened to me was in Smash 4 in a Free For All. I was with a Ness and a Roy while I was playing Wii Fit. The moment the announcer said GO! the Ness immediately started attacking the Roy even though the Ness was closer to me. I was standing in the corner doing my very best as the Ness did PK Thunder 2’d him into the blast zone in under 15 seconds.

He tried coming after me but I caught him with a Sun Salutation and the Roy jumped down from the spawning platform and we just played Monkey in the Middle with him until he died. Then Ness tried going after me again. After some weirdness, I got him with a weak Up Smash but then he returned the favor by scoring a home run with me with his bat when I rolled in on him. That bat is strong.

I think the Roy gave up sometime after that because he was like -4 while I somehow won that match. Funniest match I bothered to record.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
i got 1, i think i got a replay of it still as well cause it was to funny not to save xD

i was playing a FFA match with Young Link on Big Blue..can be a very annoying stage..and yup first time i lost a stock and not to soon after i lost another stock cause of a opponent and i was to far down that i couldn't get back on the stage... so i began playing more carefully, i avoided what i could and fought back where i could get a sneak hit and ironically it worked cause at the end all the opponents had 1 stock as well when the time ended.

now comes the funny part to me..so sudden death happend..i was just there again shielding and being careful so they knocked each other out..and the last opponent tried to grab me but since he was off screen he died..so i won..with having 0 KO's i think i never laughed this hard xD

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
This is Smash4 and I have the video to on Youtube. It was when I was first getting used to Doc. Mario. I came across a really spammy Corrin. Those electrical balls and her jump lance spam. On their last stock, they killed themselves because I ducked and their lance attack flew off stage. Kind of reminds me of yours CB.

I still remember the game cause it was my first time trying Doc seriously and the match had some bad lag, which is why I kept running into the balls instead of reflecting them.

Last edited:

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
Gameplay wise, I had a Lloyd rocket avenge my death once. At the result screen, he waited a few seconds and was like "Well played."
Experience wise, as I'm writing this, I'm currently in a battle arena with the title "I win or you get kick" with the host using blue Kirby (my favorite Kirby alt), so I've been trying to teach them basic stuff while letting them win (Could be someone's 9 year old niece or something, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt lol.) There's also a yellow eyed Kirby whose's copying everyone's movements, so I'm teaching them how to HUP Cancel and they're starting to get the hang of it lmao. Will update if anything else interesting happens in this arena.

Edit 1: Yellow eye Kirby left and now we have an okay Ganondorf who 3-stocked the host and won against me, and he somehow didn't get kicked, guess the host had a change of heart or something lol.

Edit 2: Blue Kirby is suddenly boding me. Either they were sandbagging, they're hand the controller to someone else, or they improved in a heartbeat. Either way, I'm still having fun and I'm genuinely impressed, it's rare to see a good Kirby online.

Edit 3: Starting to think there's two players behind this blue Kirby and they alternate when they feel like it. Not only is their difference in skill apparent, but their playstyles are pretty different (ex. one pressures off stage with Dair, the other one tries to ledge trap one crouches more in neutral, other tries to space aerials, etc.) I can beat the weaker one consistently, but not the stronger one. What a strange turn of events, I really want to know if my theory's right. Will see if I can beat the stronger one with my main lol.

Edit 4: After a few silly rounds of Russian Roulette Pocket Tree Roulette, blue Kirby fought me seriously...and he got me with his Down B on our last stocks. Second match together and we ended up timing each other out lmfao.

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
That snipe was awesome! Lucario had no idea what would happen after he countered you...

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I have another now that I think about it. I was the Wii Fit Trainer and my opponent was Chrom. During the majority of the match, I was getting beaten pretty badly and I was getting frustrated because I just could not get a good grasp on how to deal with Chrom. After I brought him down to his last stock by getting a Side B spike on him, I still had a percentage disadvantage. At the end of the match I got an attack on him that kept him away from the ledge and I proceeded to bombard him with attacks to keep him further and further from the edge. However, either I forgot about my double jump or I used it earlier than I thought I would. However Chrom can’t make it back either because my back air pushed him too far away and he already used his double jump. So we both end up using our Up Bs and Chrom tries to spike me but I move just a little bit to the right and he dies first, which led to me winning the match. It is probably the single most insane moment that I have had in Smash Bros Ultimate so far and that is saying something.

Here is my video of the match from YouTube.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
First stock was unfortunate. Don't roll! Haha hardest thing to avoid doing is throwing out an extra roll cause WFT already telegraphs like crazy

Ranch Dubois

Smash Rookie
My friend and I like to play against each other with the Arenas and ever since about a month ago, the match would take very long to load and would occasionally fail to connect and end the match. Today, the problem is consistent in that we cannot start a match at all.

This hasn’t always happened; it’s a new problem, which is what makes it bizarre to me.

I think it’s also worth mentioning that when playing locally, my friends switch takes a terribly long time to load a match.

Does anybody have a similar problem or know how to fix this? My friend and I are both able to do random battles online with no apparent trouble. We’ve both already gone through tech support and made sure nothing was in between the Switch and router and tried power cycling our routers.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've began to notice some other issues with Arenas as of late. In some arenas with more than 2 people, if the host is sitting outside the ring (in the character/stage select area) and not doing anything (not selecting, not spectating, etc), games between other players will fail to start. It will hang on the loading screen until one or both players disconnect or time out.

Then there are other times that I join an arena, and in under a second of me being in the room, I'm met with "a communication error has occurred". Unless people are sitting there with the "kick player" screen up and kick people immediately (which I wouldn't understand why, since you can just create a password-ed arena if you're waiting for someone specific), then I would have no idea why this happens.

Naov

Smash Cadet
I have placed online for a while now and I have never seen anybody use wavedash, even on the elite levels.

I know it's not ideal with most characters, but it can be mixed up in the playstyle.

Is it really that bad? Is it too soon to see? Or is it that the online lag makes it difficult to perform correctly?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have placed online for a while now and I have never seen anybody use wavedash, even on the elite levels.

I know it's not ideal with most characters, but it can be mixed up in the playstyle.

Is it really that bad? Is it too soon to see? Or is it that the online lag makes it difficult to perform correctly?
Depends on the character... playstyle... but in general I'd say it's for the same reason I suspect that auto sh is kinda meh. There's better tools and unless used as a rare mixup becomes too punishable. Lag definitely plays a role in which tools to utilize but I'm not sure about it being the basis for its lack of use online.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I guess it’s just too slow and doesn’t go as far as it used to go in melee. Just try to replicate any pro level wavedash movement you can see in some older videos. Even if that isn’t the reason: if wavedashing were viable pros would already use it (especially the ones who played melee).

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Wavedashing in Ultimate:

1. Isn't nearly as strong of a movement option as it was in Melee/PM. There are a few frames after you wavedash in Ultimate in which you can't do anything at all.
  2. Counts against your continuous dodge penalty, which, I might add, was just made even more prominent with the last patch. Wavedash all you want but it's gonna suck if you need to go for that crucial airdodge and a bunch of your invuln frames are sliced off.
  3. Can be fine for an occasional mix-up, like a waveland onto a platform after a ledge jump to cause your opponent to whiff their ledge jump read.
  4. On the subject of wavelanding, people still use that, its just that not every character has the optimum FH height to get an easy waveland onto a platform from underneath it. Characters like Kirby can do it super easily but others, like Wolf, jump a little too high to get that free waveland. So you gotta time it so you don't airdodge diagonally instead, which in that amount of time, you could have probably done something else that's a lot faster.
  5. And on that subject, a lot of the time there's just a better option to a waveland, especially when you're in an advantage state. Like, some Ike players like to use it a lot on platforms to mix up their opponent, when in most of those situations, they could have just done a Nair instead to cover more space and even gotten a hit confirm out of it.
  6. Finally, a good wavedash requires the use of a shield or grab button, and if you want to do it consistently, you need to use a button that doesn't have a lot of give to it, e.g. the GC controller triggers - aka the buttons 99% of people wavedashing are going to be accustomed to. Mostly because of the fact that you have to depress the button almost the entire way down to get a shield to activate, when in Melee you'd be able to do it in light shield territory. The workaround is to use the Z button, but characters with Zairs can't perform this. So, in those cases, you'd have to change your controls around a bunch or get used to a pro controller, for something that's arguably trivial in this game.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing in Ultimate:
  1. Finally, a good wavedash requires the use of a shield or grab button, and if you want to do it consistently, you need to use a button that doesn't have a lot of give to it, e.g. the GC controller triggers - aka the buttons 99% of people wavedashing are going to be accustomed to. Mostly because of the fact that you have to depress the button almost the entire way down to get a shield to activate, when in Melee you'd be able to do it in light shield territory. The workaround is to use the Z button, but characters with Zairs can't perform this. So, in those cases, you'd have to change your controls around a bunch or get used to a pro controller, for something that's arguably trivial in this game.
I actually swapped to pro con recently and it was not too bad of a change if you rotate the button pad to be similar to a gcc. I will say that I will never go back. It just has far superior quality buttons, especially on the bumpers. Like you can reliably short hop with the left bumper, which a gcc doesn't even have. The only blatant flaw is that its sticks are not notched, which I got used to but I did SD on Pichu a bit at first. Otherwise, it is vastly superior in quality / technology, but I totally understand why people stick with the GCC out of preference after years of grinding these games on it.

You're also right about everything with the wave dash. Its just bad in so many ways and the same effect can be accomplished by just dashing / walking in that direction lol. It is certainly much easier on a pro con, but I still never ever use it other than to show people my hawt melee swag dash dancing and wave dashing after i kill them.

Also, some characters do have an incredibly good wave dash. IC's comes to mind as going ridiculously far and actually being useful.

Top Bottom