• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Quickplay and Battle Arena

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Im now banned for 2hr 19min.
Dude, what are you doing to get those lengthy bans? The longest I've been banned for is an hour, and that's because I was playing on college's wifi, which causes disconnections at random.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Dude, what are you doing to get those lengthy bans? The longest I've been banned for is an hour, and that's because I was playing on college's wifi, which causes disconnections at random.
As the saying goes: pics or it didn't happen.

aarchak

Smash Ace
We were on the verge of greatness.jpg

This is incredibly frustrating. The online is almost good, it's just minor things like this, lag, and the weird GSP system that keep this from really shining. If only we got these things fixed, we could have a much better online.

Woods

Smash Rookie
NNID
WoodyN
3DS FC
5112-4110-2215
At this point I have no clue in what has been happening but this is the "bug" I've encountered. I have a name set with tap jump off. Now when I go into a couple of online matches tap jump is enabled. But then it is disabled in later matches. (So it kinda just chooses on its will) Im not sure what causes this to occur. Has anyone been encountering this? Or am I just crazy.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Have you tried changing the stick sensitivity?

Not that that should work if it's set to off it should never cause a jump but idk what else to check...

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
At this point I have no clue in what has been happening but this is the "bug" I've encountered. I have a name set with tap jump off. Now when I go into a couple of online matches tap jump is enabled. But then it is disabled in later matches. (So it kinda just chooses on its will) Im not sure what causes this to occur. Has anyone been encountering this? Or am I just crazy.
I'm guessing you're just gonna have to check your controller settings before every match until it gets fixed.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Better than Smash 4 at what?
Preferred rules, matchmaking, connection strength, there were a ton of improvements from Smash 4, and just because the initial update was crap in terms of online doesn't mean it won't be bad in the future. The game has only been out for a fortnight. Give it time.

And by the way, I feel it necessary to say this because I know half of everyone reading this is going to be confused.
A fortnight (not to be confused with the game Fortnite) is a unit of time equal to two weeks.

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
This happened to me on day one, but stopped after I installed the patch. Are you up to date?

Doobs19

Smash Rookie
i found that by putting the DEFAULT name settings to have tap-jump disable it makes it that whatever your name is used or not in online itll use those settings. I hjave both tap-jump and c-stick remaped to tilt attack but it would randomly switch back to default even though my name was clearly selected

l1l1l1l1

Smash Rookie
I've experienced the same, all last night my c sick would switch between tilt (my user settings) and smash (the default). I couldn't quite figure out exactly what the bug is, but it definitely wouldn't occur when i chose rematch and would occur ~half the time I changed characters. Setting my defaults to be the control scheme I wanted most, and using named options for other control schemes looks like a solid fix, as I've had no issues today.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
1.Purposely not playing because of the game settings it matched me with. So ill get booted for being afk or ill suicide on purpose.

2. Horrible lag (discourages me from playing the long match so, ill stop playing, switch channels and, play my ps4 instead while the match is still going.)

3. Bowsersiding with his grapple move too many times.

Brawl allowed quitting with no bans and infinite bowsersiding, im just sayin.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
The Switch is worse at picking up my WiFi than my Wii U. I live in the back of my house and my WiFi reception is pretty bad. Between then I went online pretty sparingly even tho that’s all I wanted to do and it kinda pissed me off. Been banned a couple times when the WiFi was going strong for like an hour when everyone was asleep and was banned for 29 minutes even tho it’s not my fault. This happened twice.

I had to wait two weeks for my check to come in cause I got a new job after their lasting payday and I got a WiFi extender after it did. I then set it up last night to use tonight and now online mode is under maintenance and I probably have to wait a while ‘nother night to use it.

I hate this game.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
The Switch is worse at picking up my WiFi than my Wii U. I live in the back of my house and my WiFi reception is pretty bad. Between then I went online pretty sparingly even tho that’s all I wanted to do and it kinda pissed me off. Been banned a couple times when the WiFi was going strong for like an hour when everyone was asleep and was banned for 29 minutes even tho it’s not my fault. This happened twice.

I had to wait two weeks for my check to come in cause I got a new job after their lasting payday and I got a WiFi extender after it did. I then set it up last night to use tonight and now online mode is under maintenance and I probably have to wait a while ‘nother night to use it.

I hate this game.
Oh yeah dont forget u can get banned for those communication errors because of ****endos poo network stability

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
i turned the tap jump off and set the c-stick to tilts. They’re not working and it’s EXTREMELY frustrating. Anybody else have these problems and how to fix it? I’m using a “Fight Pad Pro” according to the Box if that’s any consultation.

Last edited:

RenegadeKnight

Smash Rookie
you sure you set the correct controller? Remember there are 3 different controllers. You probably changed the gamecube controller settings, when it's actually a pro controller in a gamecube like shell.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
No, I’m sure. To be safe, I changed all three to my preffered settings lol

SehWho

Smash Cadet
Online doesn't auto-pick your control settings for whatever reason, so you'd change your tag while picking a character. I don't know if this is what's happening for you, but I thought for a moment that control settings didn't work too.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Online doesn't auto-pick your control settings for whatever reason, so you'd change your tag while picking a character. I don't know if this is what's happening for you, but I thought for a moment that control settings didn't work too.
I checked all that. They still don’t work. They worked once, but I was in an arena. They don’t work for the background matches. And I checked my other controllers and it’s the same too. So idk what’s wrong.

Gaza_tris

Smash Rookie
My clan is currently the best and strongest clan in smash and we are currently looking for a challenge since we are tired of beating everyone. If your not scared get your clan or group of friends preferably 4 and lets get it rolling. Rules: it will be 1v1s each regular tourney rules best out of 3

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
For Arena Battle, does anyone happen to know how the fighters are connected to each other?

For example, if I make a Battle Arena, and 2 of my friends join, if they are playing against each other 1v1, are they directly connecting to each other for their fight? I would hope that'd be the case, but I'm curious if we've found this out yet or not.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Technically anyone in the arena is connected to each other, so if you're hosting and 2 friends join and are fighting each other while you're in the waiting area, you ae all still connected to each other.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The in-game tag can be 10 characters long and Discord usernames can be as short as 7 (it adds a # and four digits after, like D3#4368).

Thus, is there any rule folks here have heard of that prohibits using contact info in our tags?

I'm at the point where I'm realizing how futile it is to add people I encounter in QP to my friend list as I can do next to nothing with them: I can't invite them to a game and can't send them a message asking them to play. All I can do is open a friends-only arena and hope they wander in so I can talk to them on voice chat and exchange some actual contact info so we can schedule some play sessions later.

Just want to make sure I won't attract the banhammer by having my Discord name in my tag...

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I've seen other players online show their Discord ID, Twitter ID and Twitch TV page.

I really doubt you'd get in trouble for that. As those are still anonymous sources. Real IRL info. Yea you will get busted for.

Zorrioh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hyozans
3DS FC
1848-1766-0747
Is there anyway to do team battle with the person you choose in Arena? I’d like to play with my bro on the same switch in Arenas. I’d also like to play with an online friend in arenas and always be on the same team. Are these possible? Am I missing something?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, when you get into the middle you select your team color and player 2 selects to match yours. Then players 3 and 4 do the same.

Gentlemaxwell

Smash Rookie
After I rematch with an opponent in quickplay and we both ready up the game will say "waiting" in the upper right hand corner for ~20 sec. Is it possible to skip this?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So can I play that mode with my local friends?
No... P1 is you on your Switch, p2 p3 and p4 is the other players on their Switches. You CAN set up a private Arena and have your friends use their own console to join your Arena though.

After I rematch with an opponent in quickplay and we both ready up the game will say "waiting" in the upper right hand corner for ~20 sec. Is it possible to skip this?
No. It usually means that whomever you're rematching has a ruleset that requires more players so it's waiting for others to join.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
No... P1 is you on your Switch, p2 p3 and p4 is the other players on their Switches. You CAN set up a private Arena and have your friends use their own console to join your Arena though.

No. It usually means that whomever you're rematching has a ruleset that requires more players so it's waiting for others to join.
Okay. So i'm randomly teamed with other online user. Right?

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
Is there a way to watch the match as you wait your turn to play?? <In Arena>

Last edited:
Top Bottom