• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick question about downloading Smash Ultimate when it releases

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Hey fellas. So the other day I came up with a hypothesis. Smash Ultimate comes out on December 7, but I had an idea that maybe, juuuuust maaaaybe, if I set my Switch's time zone to +12 UTC (17 hours ahead of where I live), I might be able to download the game off the eShop at 7 am the day before, which would be midnight local time according to my Switch.

Has anyone here tried something like this before with other Switch games? If so, did it work? Just wanted to know to see if I could get the game a little bit early.

D

Deleted member

Nah I doubt it. I'm assuming they have a system where it checks your IP address. Since that pin points your estimated location. You could set up a proxy/VPN to mask your location but thats getting in dangerous water lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Nah I doubt it. I'm assuming they have a system where it checks your IP address. Since that pin points your estimated location. You could set up a proxy/VPN to mask your location but thats getting in dangerous water lol.
Oh well. Not like it matters too much since I probably wouldn't even be able to play it on the 6th since it's a Thursday and I'm usually not allowed to play video games during the week.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Download is likely to be slow as well the moment it appears on the e-shop too. Plus with how huge this game may be, and depending on your network, it may be a long download.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Download is likely to be slow as well the moment it appears on the e-shop too. Plus with how huge this game may be, and depending on your network, it may be a long download.
Well if it works (and that's kinda wishful thinking), the game would download during the school day, so I have no business playing any games on my Switch anyway. So a slow download would probably be a blessing in disguise, because I wouldn't be tempted to play the game during a free period or something.

D

Deleted member

Oh well. Not like it matters too much since I probably wouldn't even be able to play it on the 6th since it's a Thursday and I'm usually not allowed to play video games during the week.
Tbh I would just buy the physical copy so you can save space on your switch. :)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Buying Nintendo digitally on the west coast gives me a three hour head start since Nintendo refuses to let our release time match the east coast release time like literally every other publisher. Midnight EST is the release time on new releases for the US regardless of if you're in the EST time zone. (I was playing Smash for 3DS for a couple hours while standing around in Gamestop waiting with my brother to get his physical copy. It was pretty cool.)

Anyway, point is, I don't think they check your IP address for your exact timezone. I think it's probably a check of your console. So if you have an imported Switch, maybe? Or a Japanese My Nintendo account?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I prefer physical but got digital due to the fact I am getting the switch bundle (selling my old switch) and due to the fact I want to always have smash avalable to play without carrying that small cartage everywhere.

note: prob buy phy copy to let my brother use it anyway :p

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The download will be a preload, available around a week in advance. It will probably take anywhere from 4-24 hours for most people, so that's good!

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone know how big that Day 1 patch is? And is it already a part of the current pre-download or is it a seperate update?

Last edited:

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
I believe the day 1 patch is part of the digital download already. Physical users will have to download additional data but digital users will not.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
click butan receive gaem

then smash

ridley offstage cause his recovery is ****ing garbo lol dragon with wings and he sucks in the air lolllllllll

ouafaex

Smash Rookie
I haven't heard of anyone trying to set their Switch's time zone to +12 UTC in order to download a game early. I'd advise against it as it could potentially cause issues with your Switch's settings and may not even work. As for your question, I think it would be best to just wait until the official release.
Regarding your inquiry, proxies for price tracking might not be related to downloading games on your Switch. If you're interested in price tracking, specialized proxies could be helpful in accessing geo-restricted websites for market data and price comparison.

Top Bottom