• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions from a new Wario main

Unext

Smash Rookie
I've never mained Wario in the other games, so I've got a few questions:
1- What are my killing options outside of waft/edgeguard?
2- How should I use his side special?
3- How do I play Wario's grounded game?
4-How can I deal with characters that can outrange me? (Ike for example)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I've never mained Wario in the other games, so I've got a few questions:
1- What are my killing options outside of waft/edgeguard?
2- How should I use his side special?
3- How do I play Wario's grounded game?
4-How can I deal with characters that can outrange me? (Ike for example)
  1. Forward tilt, back air, dash attack, and tossing the bike are just a few of his most useful kill options. Down tilt to dash attack is a true combo from what I understand.
  2. In Ultimate his bike has a cool down period like in Brawl so you can't use it as much as you could in SSB4. Use it to recover high and if it lands on the stage use it for tossing mixups.
  3. Short hop forward airs and neutral air. Up-tilt is also an amazing combo starter which can lead to some up-airs.
  4. Ike's frame data is a bit slower than most other sword users so in his case he can be punished if you shield and use an attack like forward air at the right time. Wario generally struggles with sword users such as Marthcina so the best thing you can do with them is wait for them to approach you while your waft charges.

Unext

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much!
Is there any situation where it's useful to side-b onstage? Like to mixup my approach?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Thank you very much!
Is there any situation where it's useful to side-b onstage? Like to mixup my approach?
Side-b can be useful for stages with platforms like Pokemon Stadium 2 or Battlefield since your opponent may not expect you to approach diagonally. It can also be useful for beating out certain attacks or forcing yourself through an opponent. Be careful not to use it too much since your opponent will catch onto it.

JeremiahJUX

Smash Rookie
Sari already covered most of the questions, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents as a fellow new Wario main.

-The bike wheelie is also a good mix-up option for a kill confirm and it'll catch opponents on a platform too.
-Play around with his chomp in the neutral phase. It definitely forces some changes from your opponent if you utilize it well. (I found out that it was a good response to Jigglypuff's rollout mid-match and it definitely changed the flow of the fight.)
-I've had the same issue with sword characters too and I found that playing reactive so you can punish your opponent is the best option. Avoid playing too offensive since the disjointed hitboxes from the sword makes it way too dangerous. Nair out-of-shield has been my go-to move against sword characters.

I hope these were helpful. I'm not a great player in any sense, but I just like to see the Wario thread being utilized. :warioc:

Top Bottom