• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about approach and kill power

KnightmareTheGreat

Smash Rookie
So I've been playing Smash since Melee came out when I was a kid, but I never got seriously into it or got very good so forgive me if this is dumb. I get that a lot of Ridley's game plan involves getting enemies off of the stage and then using the fireballs to gimp people when they approach from below. That's been working well against characters with weaker recoveries but for characters that recover high or get launched pretty far upwards, what's the best way to keep them off stage if they approach from above rather than below? Snake especially has been difficult for me to keep offstage since cipher takes him so high and still lets him use air attacks afterwards.

I'm also finding myself needing to get enemies up around 150-200 before I start getting any real launching power out of any of my attacks. Do I need to take more risks with smash attacks to get kills? Or am I just not spacing my aerials/tilts to get tips properly?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Jump and nair, bair, or fair them. You can follow up after nair and fair with another nair or fair, and recover with reverse up b.

KnightmareTheGreat

Smash Rookie
Jump and nair, bair, or fair them. You can follow up after nair and fair with another nair or fair, and recover with reverse up b.
Thanks. So I know of those 3 Bair has the most killing power, but in general I'm not sure I really get how to approach with it, especially if it takes multiple jumps to reach that high since putting any sort of momentum behind a double jump reorients you forward.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Thanks. So I know of those 3 Bair has the most killing power, but in general I'm not sure I really get how to approach with it, especially if it takes multiple jumps to reach that high since putting any sort of momentum behind a double jump reorients you forward.
Bair has incredible horizontal reach but worse vertical reach, so it involves the most precision out of all of the moves. I don’t know what I can say about approaching with it, its just something that can only be learned through trial and practice.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I mean characters who get knocked upwards and have a decent recovery in terms of distance are going to be harder to gimp. That's just kind of what happens. Approach using F-air, N-air or RAR B-air. Ridley's ground game is surprisingly decent but he excels with his aerials. They're fast, have high priority and can even be comboed off stage.

Things like his tilts are great for spacing and usage in priority. F-tilt can actually negate many projectiles.

Sourspot RAR Nair+Dash Attack is a true combo that kills between 90-130%. Though I find this difficult to use at times and it's easier to get an F-tilt off.

Smashes are great for baiting and punishing. People who get to angsty with their rolls are prime targets to getting F-smashed and definitely D-smashed and of course people who shield too much become top priority to be taken offstage with his side-B. I find specifically that Ridley D-smash covers such a wide area, not only both sides but above him, that it often becomes a relatively safe haven of attack that leaves little options for the opponent. It's got range, power, decent speed and enough distance to keep you safe. Even when I miss with D-smash, I'm usually safe thanks to the attack's range. IIRC, Ridley's wings, or at least the ends, don't have hitboxes.

Lastly, don't be afraid to get off stage. Ridley has 3 jumps, a side-b and an up-B. Use those to your advantage, especially the side-B which can often be forgotten. Also don't forget that up-B has a huge amount of distance to it. You can literally be at the bottom of the stage, touching the very bottom of the screen and still make it back on stage. On top of that, Ridley's Up-B has such a huge amount of power and priority that not only is it decent at killing but it prevents most people from being able to gimp Ridley. Only a select few have the balls or capability to actually come down with Ridley.

Ridley's got the nice ability to take risks and still be safe.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
Ridley I feel is a bait and punish character. He only has a few fast moves that he can just throw out in neutral. That being Nair and DTilt. Fair Bair Dair are laggy, but Fair is the least of the 3. My neutral consist of a lot of dash dancing Jumping neutral b's based of opponent distance, and run in dash back turn around Dtilts to poke. If my opponent gives me too much space I charge a jumping charged b then I'll run in free. Also whiffing nair on purpose gives me the opportunity to bait a action, which usually ends in them taking a sweet spot Ftilt or Fsmash.

On stage neutral usually I'm killing with Fsmash, Ftilt or sideB.

Off stage tends to be Mostly gimps with NeutralB, Side B blast zone release, Fair, and drop zone Bairs. Some Dairs when I know it will trade with their up B.

At ledge, Dsmash, because it covers almost every option. That includes get up attack (because it jumps over) depending on the character.

Kinda long winded, probably messy to read, either way hope you got something from it.

Top Bottom