• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question regarding star kills in tournament.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
If I were to kill someone with a star kill (think of Team Rocket) but I die before they do, who wins. Technically I got the kill first but the time it takes for the player to die when hitting the upper boundary is too long. Would I still win the match as if it were a regular kill?

PS Is there a real name for the "star kill"?

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Idk, i think whoever dies first is the loser. Also, I think it's probably hard to star kill someone and SD. Usually you star kill someone while ur on the stage, so i can't imagine how you would die unless you jumped off on purpose

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You lose.
You did not posses the skill necessary to meet the game's win conditions, therefore, you do not win.

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
I had this happen before against a Snake when we were on both of our last stocks. He had a grenade when I hit him and we both had tons of damage on us, but I died slightly before he did.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
It happens enough, I know it really doesn't matter that much but I'm sure it's happened before. A scenario where it might be a problem is when you are both off stage and you uair but die before the star kill animation finishes.

Grunt

Smash Master
What if I die RIGHT as he goes off the screen, is there any real proof that He was being star Ko'd?

MBreeto

Smash Ace
What if I die RIGHT as he goes off the screen, is there any real proof that He was being star Ko'd?
you better hope the match was less than 3 minutes so u can watch the replay. This, here, is a very good question

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
To actually study the match frame by frame to see if the star-KO-ee leaves the screen before the star-KO-er gets KO-ed him/herself would take waaaaaay too much time. This isn't the NFL, and we don't have the technology or resources available to bring up a challenge eeeeevery siiiiiingle tiiiiiime this happens, which shouldn't happen very often in competitive play.

Most of the time, the reason this happens is because the stage would kill the "winner" after the fact. But most of the allowed stages can't really kill you, so if you die first then it's your mistake for not paying attention to the board.

And if it wasn't the stage's fault, then it was your fault. You shouldn't have gone for that crazy suicide KO with only one stock left and/or so much damage accumulated, even though you did do a good job by actually getting the KO.

And if it wasn't the stage's fault, and it wasn't your fault, then it was your opponent who countered your attack with an attack of their own. Should they not get their deserved KO?

I say: whoever the game declairs the winner, IS the winner. //endstatement

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
To actually study the match frame by frame to see if the star-KO-ee leaves the screen before the star-KO-er gets KO-ed him/herself would take waaaaaay too much time. This isn't the NFL, and we don't have the technology or resources available to bring up a challenge eeeeevery siiiiiingle tiiiiiime this happens, which shouldn't happen very often in competitive play.

Most of the time, the reason this happens is because the stage would kill the "winner" after the fact. But most of the allowed stages can't really kill you, so if you die first then it's your mistake for not paying attention to the board.

And if it wasn't the stage's fault, then it was your fault. You shouldn't have gone for that crazy suicide KO with only one stock left and/or so much damage accumulated, even though you did do a good job by actually getting the KO.

And if it wasn't the stage's fault, and it wasn't your fault, then it was your opponent who countered your attack with an attack of their own. Should they not get their deserved KO?

I say: whoever the game declairs the winner, IS the winner. //endstatement
You won't need to watch it frame by frame, There is usually like 4 seconds of slow motion at the end. I'm sure that would give enough time to see how it went. Also it isn't the opponents fault you died. Whenever it happens to me it is when I gimp off stage and I just barely miss the win. It makes me angry when it is for money matches.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Here's a flow chart to help you decide whether you "really" won the match:

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
You won't need to watch it frame by frame, There is usually like 4 seconds of slow motion at the end. I'm sure that would give enough time to see how it went. Also it isn't the opponents fault you died. Whenever it happens to me it is when I gimp off stage and I just barely miss the win. It makes me angry when it is for money matches.
Star KO-ed players are always magnified in the bubbles before they die. To actually SEE what point they left the screen and became "inevitably KOed" is impossible unless you're playing in fixed camera mode.

And like I said before about you going for suicide kills... it's your decision, so it's your fault if you happen to die before your opponent. If we were to go by your rules, then wouldn't any suicide throughout the match should be void?

Either way, we'd be making a simple end-match decision of the simplest fighting game ever as complicated as f**k. Personally, I think the best course of action is to just follow ColinJF's flow chart.

Top Bottom