• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question regarding player styles and skill

;~;

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-3916-6039
I'm a simple-minded person that seems to come across two types of players in For Glory. The aggressive players and the defensive players. I can read an attacking player but I can't seem to get around defensive players.

Defensive players just wait for you to hit or grab first, and just shield or dodge out of your move and then follow it up. If I emulate the slow defensive style, it turns into a 6 minute snail race lol

So what I've kind of been heading towards the mentality that perhaps the best style is a defensive and aggressive mix, one where you become aggressive on your opponents mistakes and then play defensive and attempt to open up opportunities.

Have I just been playing lesser players that never dodged and just attacked the entire time? Is the progression of skill goes from an aggressive mindless player to a open-minded tactical player?

Thoughts anyone?

;~;

Last edited:

PixelSun

Smash Apprentice
Have I just been playing lesser players that never dodged and just attacked the entire time? Is the progression of skill goes from an aggressive mindless player to a open-minded defensive player?
I'm kinda pretty agressive when I play (specially with Fox and Mario in SM4SH) but I try to dodge / shield enemy attacks pretty often. Try and find a way to balance Attack + Defense all the time, that's what I do.

Last edited:

;~;

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-3916-6039
I'm kinda pretty agressive when I play (specially with Fox and Mario in SM4SH) but I try to dodge / shield enemy attacks pretty often. Try and find a way to balance Attack + Defense all the time, that's what I do.
Whoops. I meant to say an "open-minded tactical player".

Thank you for you answer.

;~;

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I like to categorize players by the criteria of "playing for knockback" vs "playing for percentage." Some of these aspects are determined by which character you play. If you play a Melee shiek, you play for percentage and the final f-air of doom. If you play a Melee C. Falcon, you play for knockback kills with stomp knee, and other easy setups. Some combos are just unavoidable with some characters.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I like to use the Yomi rules along with TremendoDude's playstyle categories.

He organizes them as Passive-Offense, Passive-Defense, Active Offense, and Active Defense.

Each one has a counter. Players can either stick to one playstyle for the whole match or constantly switch it up during a match, so they do not become predictable and easily figured out.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Don't worry about the time limit. That shouldn't be your main focus. I played against a Marth a very long time ago, and the first match, he two stocked me, because he was playing extremely patient, waiting for me to make the move first, that way he could see what option I went with first and he could punish it. The second match, I took a step back and thought about how I should have played. The next match, I two stocked him by using his patient game. I ended up taking the set in the end. Against patient players, I think your best option is also to play patient, and throw out empty hops (no attacking), just to see how your opponent responds. Using a different approach is another thing to consider. Going in against your opponent the same way will make you predictable. Now, if you're playing against someone who is using projectile, then I can't help you there. Those types give me trouble.

Top Bottom