• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question on Egg Lay

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Hey errbody,

In my play style, I don't use egg lay tooooo often, but sometimes when I use the move, it will connect with my opponent, but will not complete. Yoshi's tongue will pull the opponent in, but rather than eat them, it will release them directly in front of me, as if the move was cancelled before swallowing them.

The question is this: when this happens, is it because I did something to cancel it? Is it a result of the opponent mashing out of it, since it acts as a grab? Or is it a random occurrence programmed into the move?

Also, when it happens, my usual response is to either single jab -> yoshi bomb or try to SH nair. What else works? Is it character specific?

Thanks in advance :b:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
It's because you caught your opponent with the very tip of your tongue in just the right way; it has nothing to do with any extra inputs you make, and one cannot mash out of Egg Lay. You can do pretty much anything out of this, regardless of character, if you react quickly enough; you have about half a second before your opponent regains control, so you can even FSmash them. The problem is that the conditions for getting this cancel are so strict that it's very difficult to reproduce.

D

Deleted member 189823

Could you expand more on the things we can do out of an Egg Lay? I mostly just take advantage of it as an aerial grab and follow up with an U-Air (when I can) about 90% of the time.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
We don't really have much in the way of guaranteed follow-ups on Egg Lay because of the fact that the opponent can control when they break out and they get invincibility frames when they break out. A decent option is to throw eggs above them so they fly into them when they pop out, as well as Uairing, as you said. You can also get Usmash/Fsmash on fastfallers, but that's not often worth it since that stales your smash, the attack does half damage anyway, and they can possibly punish your lag if they break out on time.

Typing this out made me kinda mad at how bad our egg lay followups are. -.- It does cut our opponent's momentum very well though and can give us good stage control as well, so there's that.

Depster

Smash Champion
My dream is to be able to use egg lay and egg toss such that egg lay creates the egg you toss =p

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Being able to kong carry the egg to throw under the stage, how win would that be :awesome:

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Sometimes, when I'm feeling... daaangerous.. I'll chase the opponent under the ledge and egg lay them, depending on the character and reaction time, it can be effective against characters like Marth.

Also, in matches against DK, I use it to counter his giant punch.

Occasionally I'll throw in a DJC egg lay back onto the stage as a recovery mixup, but against characters that outrange us, this is never a good idea lol

Top Bottom