• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about some Focus attack cancelling stuff

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
So as I'm very sure most of you know, dash cancelling focus attack in the air, double jumping, and doing focus attack again makes you fall much faster than the first FA. And what I'm about to talk about I'm pretty sure other people have long discovered, so my question is going to be what's the reason for not using it.

So instead of repeating the steps over again i'll just call the second FA a DJFA, so you could FA somewhere in the air around your opponent, possibly baiting something or them staying there, then you do the DJFA towards them and it can kinda be used like a tomahawk because it's fast enough IMO. And you can either release for the hit or just dash cancel. But the important thing about this I think, is that you do the DJFA into dash cancel in front of them into a negative edge TSRK and hit them. I say this is an option because doing in front of them like that is more than likely going to bait out a shield grab or something of the sort. Or they run away.

I could be completely wrong but I feel like this is something to consider as an option, though I believe it'd mostly be for mixups.
As I said, I'm not saying this cause I think it's a new tech, I'm just curious as to why I haven't seen it (or maybe i haven't seen that video yet). Or maybe it's just not worth it in top level play?
I'd like to get some insight from you guys.
As I'm sure you can tell, I'm newer to Ryu. I've picked him up a bit through out, mostly for fun and just cause he's a very interesting and satisfying character to play. But I've finally decided to make the full switch to being a Ryu main, as Pac-man hasn't been cutting it for me lately at my tournaments. A lot of that being the bad habits that he's let me form. And Ryu is the better character anyway in terms of competitive. Would love to hear your guys' opinions

CascadedVolcano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-5046-9617
it might be a good mix up, kinda hard to tell though since air FA is mainly used to land and not much else since his other landing options aren't that good aside from nair. Maybe try to use it as a sort of fast-fall since it does go much faster than his regular fast-fall. it's worth testing for certain

Top Bottom