• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about shield drop and ports

Tim73

Smash Rookie
Hello, Smashboards, happy holidays to everyone! So I was watching Holiday Bash and saw Hugs testing his shield drops after assigning different controller port (Hugs did it in previous set too):

Why he was doing it and how ports affect shield drops?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
I'm pretty sure the reason he changed ports was because of neutral starts for the stage they picked. Have a look at the image here and the comment by Armada.
He explains why Hugs was testing his shield drops - when you plug in your controller again, it can happen that shield drops don't work properly because the stick might be reset slightly different.

Tim73

Smash Rookie
Thank you! Now I see how plugging your controller while stick is not in neutral position can influence certain things (and shield drops can be affected greatly by this, I guess). I assume you can also reset your controller with X+Y+Start in addition to checking shield drops. Totally forgot about it. Oh and neutral starts too, but I think I haven't seen it before (changing ports for neutral start). Maybe because some players choose ports because of the way how they change throws.

Last edited:
Top Bottom