• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about implementing + getting used tech.

Treatz

Smash Rookie
How do i start implementing and using tech in my play? how should i go about trying to implement more movement stuff into my play as well?

These 2 topics are the ones i struggle the most with as i am trying to get SHFFLing/L-Canceling into my play and it is hard.

Last edited:

Comraderose

Smash Rookie
Learning the tech and then learning to actually impliment it are two different things as your learning. I could waveland/dash for 6 months before I could actually use it comfortably in a set.
I'm no pro but my advice would be have fun playing and let it slowly seep into your play. Playing someone around the same skill level helps too by taking off some pressure and not being punished so heavily for missing cancels and such. I don't care what anyone says, playing someone who is frame perfect is not going to help you improve as fast at your level because you won't be able to learn if your not sure what your doing wrong even when you do play correctly.
It took me way to long to learn the game because I bogged myself down with useless tech at a lower level. As a newer marth focus on chaining shffl fair and the iconic WD back fsmash. There is no need to be fancy.
Oh and watch the marth tech guide videos Even of you can't do them write them down. For some reason WRITING IT DOWN helped it stick better.

Last edited:

Treatz

Smash Rookie
Learning the tech and then learning to actually impliment it are two different things as your learning. I could waveland/dash for 6 months before I could actually use it comfortably in a set.
I'm no pro but my advice would be have fun playing and let it slowly seep into your play. Playing someone around the same skill level helps too by taking off some pressure and not being punished so heavily for missing cancels and such. I don't care what anyone says, playing someone who is frame perfect is not going to help you improve as fast at your level because you won't be able to learn if your not sure what your doing wrong even when you do play correctly.
It took me way to long to learn the game because I bogged myself down with useless tech at a lower level. As a newer marth focus on chaining shffl fair and the iconic WD back fsmash. There is no need to be fancy.
Oh and watch the marth tech guide videos Even of you can't do them write them down. For some reason WRITING IT DOWN helped it stick better.
Okay thank you very much! I will definetely try focusing on the WD's and the SHFFL's as you suggested. is it a good idea to practice tech consistently in training mode even if you can't actively use it in a set?

Comraderose

Smash Rookie
If you have the time and can keep it interesting sure. It also depends on how much you get to play with other players. No amount of tech skill drilling is going to help your fundamentals, only time behind the controller playing others smashers is.
With marth strong fundamentals and spacing are king, there really isn't a lot of super specific tech besides pivots, jc grabs and what we've mentioned before for marth.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
When implementing new techniques into play, I like to make my only goal in friendlys to be to use that tech as much as possible and find when it works/doesnt work. It's the quickest way to get something into your play. You have to understand when you want to use it and practice implementing it so that you are confident in using it during tournament play.

Calais79

Smash Rookie
I'm basically in the same boat as you, best advice I've seen on the subject is practice the tech (WD, L-Cancel, ledge-hop, etc.) in training mode and against CPU's until you can actually do them at all with some semblance of consistency (not even close to 100%, but at least that you know the inputs and approximate standard timing). Once you got that, play friendlies but don't focus on winning at all, focus on learning. Try to learn something each stock, what worked on each of his and what didnt on each of yours. This will shore up your consistency and start teaching you application. Then when you play at a tourney use what you've learned and focus on winning and see what pays off and what doesn't work at a higher level. Repeat steps as necessary for new tech or new applications.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
First of all, being able to do something in training mode and being able to pull it off mid-game / mid-set are very different things. When practising, you can devote 100% of you're attention to executing something. In a game, you want to not even have to think about it, so that you can worry about more important things. Make sure that you aren't just able to do it, but rather are able to do it without thinking.
Beyond that, I'd say to focus on implementing one thing at a time. That way you are not overwhelmed with options. Focus on where it is and could be useful. Forcing yourself to use it in random situations is good practice for execution, but the most important part will be noticing where the tech is be useful/ help you, and starting to do it without thinking about it.
I hope this can help.

Top Bottom