• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about frame data

mranonymaz

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a new player who started not too long ago, and I need some help with the interpretation of frame data in the game. I came across this excel sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...WFwy_dg04Rrq4a-YF9-VDOhZI/edit#gid=1517532841

I thought I understood it, but apparently not. People say that jab 1 is quite safe. But if I look at the table (Mario for instance) the advantage if opponent drops shield is -9 when throwing jab 1, and startup for jab 2 is two frames. Doesn't that mean your opponent has a 11 frame window to do what he wants before your second jab lands? If so, then how is jab 1 safe?

I am asking this because I am wondering how I could punish an opponent who is hitting against your shield. Should you jab back? Shield grab? And when is the best timing to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I appreciate you bringing this up. I didn't realize Mario's jabs had a Sakurai angle (361°). This means that if Mario lands the first jab, the second jab can be interrupted. Jab 1 is safe because it's quick, but if you're dealing with an opponent who lacks a Sakurai angle for his or her jabs, then Mario's opponent will beat him. In a situation where both Mario and his opponent have a Sakurai angle, it would then seem to depend on who can jab faster, i.e., jab with active frames occurring sooner. The thing about jab 1 is that even if your opponent has 11 frames to do whatever, it doesn't necessarily mean that'll happen. I main Samus, and I use jab 1 often. Although it's not the best jab, I make it work by simply using jab 1 or even jab cancelling. An opponent hitting your shield may be hit with an out of shield Super Jump Punch (OoS Up+B). This attack has intangibility on frames 3 through 6.

Top Bottom